Jewels of the Spanish Aristocracy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lets hope we see it at the ducal wedding next week as it rivals most of the Borbons big pieces!

The tiara worn by the wife of the present Duke at her Wedding was sold by the late Duchess so if the bride wears a tiara i think it is quiet liekly that she will bring out this one.

I wonder if anyone can identify the tiara worn by Doña María de Borbón ,daughter of the Duke of Santa Elena ,Marquess of Santa Fe de Guardiola at the church of the Assumption on Saturday in Seville.

https://goo.gl/images/5UKrjL

Last edited:
What tiaras does Carmen Martinez-Boridu, 2nd Duchess of Franco own?

I really enjoy seeing this tiara on other members of the Marichalar family! That's how family heirlooms should be used, imho. Years ago it was reported that Infanta Elena kept the tiara after the divorce, since it has been a wedding present and therefore hers. Also, she has worn it once after the divorce, at the wedding of Victoria & Daniel. So if that is correct, she still has a good relationship with her former in-laws and is willing to loan them her tiara.

It's also interesting, that the tiara can come apart and be worn as a Greek key necklace and as a laurel jewel. Ana Coronel de Palma y Marichalar wore it as a hair jewel above her bun, but I assume that the laurel part can also be a necklace or a bracelet. But given the differing patterns of the Greek key and laurel parts it's not really surprising that this is a lego piece. Have we ever seen the Infanta wearing parts of the tiara in their other functions?

Another Marichalar niece, Dona Ana Coronel de Palma y Marichalar, wore the tiara in 2019. She took it off the frame and used the meander as a choker and the laurel leaves as a hair ornament. See slides 8 and 9.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CB0U_iOH563/

Interesting to see the meander as a choker and I wonder what it would look like if worn as a tiara minus the laurel leaves.

Interesting to see the meander as a choker and I wonder what it would look like if worn as a tiara minus the laurel leaves.

Do you think the tiara would look better with the Greek meander as a base and the laurel leaves on top rather than the other way around as Infanta Elena wears it?

Interesting question. It would depend on the way the tiara is connected with the frame. Maybe it is more likely that the laurel part can be worn as a tiara without the meander part, because there must be an existing connection between the frame and the laurel element. But sometimes the frames have upright wire spikes to which the jewel parts can be connected. If those spikes go all the way up to the meander element, it would look rather weird to wear only one of the jewel elements with those spikes showing above. :eek:

Its essentially 2 tiaras ,I loved how Doña Ana wore the laurel leaves as a decoration it looked so beautiful.

:previous: I agree, she looked lovely with the diamond laurel sprays in her hair.

Also, I'm looking forward to seeing future Marichalar brides at their weddings. But I wonder if there are any wedding pics of Don Jaime's siblings. The only one's I've ever seen are from Don Alvaro's wedding, and his bride Ekaterina Anikieva wore flowers on her head.

I wonder if the Infanta Elena returned Marichalar Tiara to the Count de Marichalar?

I don't think that there is much known about Doña Blanca's tiara, other than she also was pictured wearing it at her daughter's pre-wedding. It's widely assumed to be family tiara. The trefoil leaf motive was very wide-spread among Spanish aristocrats.

There's virtually no information on the tiara,the Countess lived until 1982 but what happened to it after that?

Wow that's a wonderful to see as the Spanish noble jewels are rarely seen these days!

Last edited:
Lovely to see this tiara worn again. And what a pity that Sofia didn't wear the tiara for her wedding.

The Alba ducal tiara is really beautiful :previous:

Back
Top Bottom