Jewels of the British Nobility 1: Ending Aug. 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to this blog the Duke of Westminster is selling the Chaumet Westminster Tiara. The current Duke had bought the tiara back into the family a number of years ago after it had been sold off by an ancestor - i wonder why he has decided to see it again? i know they have an extensive collection of tiaras in the westminster family and i guess little opportunity to wear them. shame that this is being sold again though it is a unique tiara

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Royal Jewels of the Day: October 20

I don't like the Chaumet Westminster Tiara but its pre-sale estimate of $380,000-$550,000 is very impressive,I wonder will it sell!

It's a statement piece, that's for sure. Pair it with the right evening gown and this tiara has every possibility of outshining any other diamond tiara in the room.

This tiara is beautiful but when I see worn I do not like at all.

Not exactly British nobility but a fascinating tale imo. If there is a more appropriate thread mods please move it.

A delicate piece of vintage jewellery, a Cartier diamond tiara, circa 1909, is about to pass out of a Canadian family’s hands for the first time in more than 100 years. Embedded with a history of happiness, having been worn by brides for many generations, it also comes with a tale of great tragedy that would be the beginning of much misfortune for the prestigious family at the start of the First World War.

Sir Hugh Montagu Allan, a prominent Montreal businessman at the turn of the 20th century, commissioned the Cartier diamond tiara for his wife, Lady Marguerite. It goes up for auction at Sotheby’s in Geneva, Switzerland, on Nov. 11 with a reserve price of 295,000-445,000 Swiss francs ($390,000-$588,000)

The tiara was on the doomed Lusitania, a passenger ship from New York, which was torpedoed without warning in May, 1915, by a German U-boat in sight of the Irish coast, with the loss of 1,198 of the 1,989 people on board, including 200 children. The sinking – the ship went down in less than half an hour – breached international laws and is widely seen to have influenced the United States to enter the conflict two years later.
Read more: The tragic tale of a Canadian family, a vintage tiara and the doomed Lusitania - The Globe and Mail

Another beautiful tiara with my favourite sapphires, diamonds and pearls. The only thing I do not like as saying the article is its size.

Deborah, the late Duchess of Devonshire's diamond brooches and gifts from famous friends including Evelyn Waugh and Madonna will go under the hammer in March at Sotheby's London.

Among the diamond brooches worth up to £10,000 each, one of only 50 pre-publication copies of Brideshead Revisited given to the Duchess by the author is on sale, estimated at £15,000 to £20,000.

The auction is a glimpse into the rarified life of 'Debo', the last of the Mitford sisters who died in September, 2014.
Read more: Duchess of Devonshire's possessions to go under the hammer in £700k sale | Daily Mail Online

:previous: Thankfully this looks like only small jewels from of her personal possession are to be auctioned. The two grand diamond tiaras or the cameo parure are not mentioned in the article. These are probably part of the trust fund that was mentioned in the article.

:previous: Thankfully this looks like only small jewels from of her personal possession are to be auctioned. The two grand diamond tiaras or the cameo parure are not mentioned in the article. These are probably part of the trust fund that was mentioned in the article.

Even if they are not Part of the Trust they have probably belonged to her late husband and passed to the new Duke after his death.

I don' t like this tiara at all and yes as article say is very similar with the tiara of Queen Fabiola.

And what a terrible ending the tiara had ,I hate when that happens!

A beautiful tiara that actually manages to look quite modern considering it was made in 1902. I keep going back and forth as to which is my favourite between this diamond tiara and the other sapphire Portland tiara that was sold off.

Very large tiara. I wonder who in the world are buying these jewels at the auctions?

If I had it for the ladies in my family, I would take the diamonds and sapphires and turn them into brooches for them. The rest of the diamonds would be made into necklaces.

I had no idea of its Russian Princely origins,very interesting to read up on its history .

Well,it's called Bagration tiara,so it's obvious that it has Russian Princely origin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom