Jewels of the British Nobility 1: Ending Aug. 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: Wow, did I get it right? They already auctioned several jewels of the late Mary, Duchess of Roxburghe, amoung them 3 tiaras. And now they discovered another bank vault of hers with her father's ceremonial jewels and even more tiaras???

According to this article the ceremonial jewels sold for 30.000 EUR. Do they mean the star of the Order of St. Patrick? Because if we talk about the supposed 'trunks filled with tiaras and other family treasures' that some would be nothing.
Viceroy of Ireland’s jewels sold at auction for almost €30,000

I wish I could find more info about the auction. Maybe somebody can help?:flowers:

I wonder if anything else will turn up?

Anything to do with the now defunct order of St Patrick I guess would be of value seeing as the last surviving knight, Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester, died in 1974.

:previous: I haven't been able to find more information about this sale. It seems that the auction was not commissioned to one of the big auction houses Christie's or Sotherby's. Isn't that a bit strange? The other auctions of the late Duchess were well publicised beforehand, which might quite help in raising a better price.

Duchess of Wellington tiara

The Duke and Duchess of Wellington hosted Waterloo Banquet attended by by the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall. And surprisingly there were tiaras!
Prince Charles, Prince of Wales and Camilla, Duchess Of Cornwall are... Nachrichtenfoto | Getty Images
Camilla, Duchess Of Cornwall attends The Duke of Wellington's... Nachrichtenfoto | Getty Images

The Duchess of Wellington, born Princess Antonia of Prussia, wears an heirloom tiara from her husband's family. She has worn the same tiara on her wedding day: View image: Wellington Antonia

And the present Duke's great-grandmother, the 4th Duchess: National Portrait Gallery - Portrait - NPG x76496; Kathleen Emily Bulkeley (née Williams), Duchess of Wellington (click to enlarge, there are other stunning jewels, amoung them a corsage ornament that looks like it is another tiara)

The 2nd Duchess is the first wearer I know of:
Elizabeth Wellesley (née Hay), Duchess of Wellington by Francis Holl at Art on Demand Portraits

What a pleasant change to have a recent post on this forum about jewels being worn rather than sold.

How awful! Those jewels probably were heirlooms, though the article doesn't really say. But really, it is quite risky to keep your jewels in your bedroom drawers. Especially when you know that the house will be open to the public.

This very thread starts with an oak leaf tiara of the 15th duchess of Norfolk.
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f20/jewels-of-the-british-nobility-6085.html#post27560

Here is another another tiara worn by the 16th duchess at the coronation of QEII in 1953:
The Duke and Duchess of Norfolk in their ceremonial attire for the... Nachrichtenfoto | Getty Images
Her necklace is also quite nice, but it seems that the Duchess of Norfolk is less bejewelled than many other peeresses at the coronation.

What a wonderful photograph of the Duke and Duchess,I wonder if the tiara is still in the Norfolk family?

I don't know what happend to their jewels. The 15th duke had no sons but 4 daughters. The current duke is something like a 3rd cousin or so. Maybe these jewels haven't been seen for so long because they were inherited by the daughters?

The Duke of Norfolk is Earl Marshal and hereditary Marshal of England. For most of the last five centuries both the Dukedom and the Earl-Marshalship have been in the hands of the Howard family.

Without knowing the ins and outs of the tiara and other jewels, I'd wager they are with the immediate family and current Duke

Last edited:
Oh I agree. If there is to be a tiara in my jewel case, I would want to have one that oozes the regal feeling this one does. Too many times I've seen tiaras that only scream "Prom Queen" and that lacks something for me.

Thanks for the link!
The video in the blog entry shows such great diademes. The Hesketh tiara is a bit too square to my taste. The aquamarines are divine, indeed.

Last edited:
I do not like this tiara. Maybe it is the design i don't know.

Last edited:
:previous:
The tiara is lovely. The design is clean and unfussy.

According to this blog the Duke of Westminster is selling the Chaumet Westminster Tiara. The current Duke had bought the tiara back into the family a number of years ago after it had been sold off by an ancestor - i wonder why he has decided to see it again? i know they have an extensive collection of tiaras in the westminster family and i guess little opportunity to wear them. shame that this is being sold again though it is a unique tiara

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Royal Jewels of the Day: October 20

:previous:
The price range for the tiara is modest. Hopefully it will fetch more than 500,000 USD.

According to this blog the Duke of Westminster is selling the Chaumet Westminster Tiara. The current Duke had bought the tiara back into the family a number of years ago after it had been sold off by an ancestor - i wonder why he has decided to see it again? i know they have an extensive collection of tiaras in the westminster family and i guess little opportunity to wear them. shame that this is being sold again though it is a unique tiara

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Royal Jewels of the Day: October 20

Ive been wondering why they're selling the tiara. It's not like they need the money. If they never use it maybe they could've done like the Londonderry's who have their jewels on show in a London museum (can't remember which).

Ive been wondering why they're selling the tiara. It's not like they need the money. If they never use it maybe they could've done like the Londonderry's who have their jewels on show in a London museum (can't remember which).

The londonderry tiara is in the V&A

Exactly and i think the have lent it out to be displayed before. Indeed the westminsters remain one of the richest families in the UK - 'Gifting' it to a museum for a collection would have been good so that it can be enjoyed by many

I also wondered about this, since I thought that the family is very rich. Has there ever been a picture published of the enamel kokoshnik being worn?

The family has several tiaras. The last tiara that was seen worn is the myrtle wreath tiara by Fabergé. It was worn as bridal tiaras by the duke's daughter Lady Tamara Grosvenor and by the duke's niece Lady Rosanagh Innes-Ker. They probably also still own the pink spinel tiara, which the duchess wore on her wedding day. Then there is the Fabergé cyclamen tiara, though I don't know if they still have it. And I read that they bought Princess Mary's fringe tiara at auction in 1965.

Quite a choice! But the enamel kokoshnik is so unique and special, it is a pity that it has to go. The design is so exquisite! I hope that it can be secured for some museum or exhibition, so that is does not appear into some anonymous vault.

As has been stated, its not for the money. The Duke of Westminster is worth around £7 billion. Doesn't make sense to sell it. Obviously the Duke has his reasons.

Baroness Willoughby and Rose Astor certainly wear the same tiara. The look is identical and the family relation is very close. Bu I fear that the connection to the Marchioness of Cholmondeley doesn’t convince me at all.

If my count is correct, the Marquess of Cholmondeley and Baroness Willoughby are 7th cousins, meaning that their family relationship is very, very distant, with a common ancestor in the early 18th century. And the tiara does not even look the same. The author of the site acknowledges that the tiara is ‘a little bit altered’, but from the blurry screen caps I really can’t see how the two floral sprays of the Ancaster tiara could have been rearranged into the tiara of the Marchioness of Cholmondeley. Furthermore it is not at all unlikely that the Cholmondeley’s have their own tiara. And these kind of floral tiara have been very much en vogue, there used to be loads of tiaras in this fashion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom