Jewels of the British Nobility 1: Ending Aug. 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is too bad about the tiara. It is beautiful. But the diamond necklace is breathtaking.

I rarely see crooked tiara pictures, and of course, I rarely see actual British women wearing tiaras.

Do they really wear them purposefully crooked? When did this begin? I'd be horrified if my tiara looked crooked. Katie Percy, it seems to me, simply wore the wrong hairstyle, made it very hard to affix the tiara, and the tiara doesn't fit her well.

It would have looked better more on the crown of her head, and, of course, centered.

Oh well.

Last edited by a moderator:
anything owned by Jennifer Paterson

Are these rings still available?

Or anything else that was owned by Jennfier Paterson?

Thanks!

And to begin, two noble trinkets from an unlikely source.

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/5434/ringsme0.png

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/8404/rings2vd8.png

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/8748/rings3ax9.png

These rings both belonged to the late Jennifer Paterson of Two Fat Ladies fame but she'd acquired them from none other than a Duchess of Westminster. I've no idea which but Clarissa Dickson-Wright says in her biography that when asked to remove her rings whilst cooking, Jennifer proudly declared, "These belonged to the Duchess of Westminster and I have no intention of leaving them anywhere near TV types". The first one seems to be quite a nice sapphire, the second is a row of emeralds with a gold band.

Jennifer proudly declared, "These belonged to the Duchess of Westminster and I have no intention of leaving them anywhere near TV types".

And rightly so!!

^^^^
The Portland was not a royal piece, it belonged to the family of the Dukes of Portland.

That is ONE splendiforous tiara; I remember the publicity when it came up for auction after Will and Kate's engagement how many were hoping, including yours truly, that it would have been bought for Kate to wear for her wedding because of those sapphires (one can always dream!). I wonder who is the lucky person who now owns it. What I love about this tiara is that it's fully closed so it looks like a crown. The model is wearing it beautifully and I love how it swoops down around her head and doesn't peter out on the sides. And, yes, can I please have displaying gorgeous tiaras on my head as my dream job, too?

I´m seeing th Blue Enamel for first time too. It´s really unique and beautiful. My faves are The Bagration Parure and Fabergé Myrtle Wreath Tiara

Warren said:
Lady Katie Percy, daughter of the Duke of Northumberland, was married yesterday at the family's Alnwick Castle.

A Northumberland Diamond Tiara

° ° °
-> pic courtesy of Nellie at the RJOTWMB

That is certainly a lovely tiara--but I am rather interested in the necklace, too. It is really lovely--the central element makes me think of thecPoltimore tiara.

I love this one, I saw once Queen Elizabeth wearing it and I really loved it.

I love them all, they are all beautiful.

I agree about the Spencer tiara; looks like a fusion of 2 tiaras there. I love the Kent family tiaras and the Fleur de Lys tiara as well. All those tiaras are magnificient; I can visualize any of these adorning my head!!

I know this might not be the proper place to post this, but I cannot find a Spencer Family Jewels thread. Does anyone know anything about the tiara she wore? I thought they only had two. Thank you all.

I'm always happy to revisit the Spencer Tiara(s). :flowers:

The famous one is the one that Diana wore on her wedding day. It was also worn by her sisters Sarah and Jane when they married, along with her sister-in-law Victoria Lockwood. It was owned by the late Earl Spencer, who loaned it to Diana when she represented the royal family. The current Earl Spencer inherited it and also loaned it to Diana for a time, but then he asked for it back before her death. As far as I can tell, the current Countess Spencer has not worn it as their wedding wasn't formal enough for tiaras.

There's also the larger Spencer Tiara (scroll down the linked page). Diana's grandmother wore it to the coronation in 1953, but Diana herself never wore it.

As for Emily McCorquodale, the tiara she wore does not resemble either of the Spencer tiaras. Also, I believe that both Spencer tiaras are part of the traveling exhibition on Diana's life. My guess is that Emily's father's family had a tiara, or she borrowed one from elsewhere.

I did read somewhere that the tiara Emily wore is the one belonging to the McCorquodale family.

Essex Tiara was left by Adele Countess to her daughter (the title went to her step son) the current Earl of Essex is a retired Deputy Head teacher and lives in Torrisholme, Lancaster. Tiara was purchased back by Cartier (why on earth would they keep buying back their own stuff) and was lent to Princess margaret of Roumania for her marriage

...why on earth would they keep buying back their own stuff
Cartier buys "their own stuff" to include in The Cartier Collection.

To quote: "The preservation of Cartier's rich heritage has always been of special concern to those who preside over the company...
Throughout the years, this has resulted in the continuous repurchasing of Cartier's...most notable creations.
"

The Cartier Collection is occasionally placed on exhibition. I saw it here in Sydney some years ago and if ever the opportunity presents itself, I recommend that members with an interest in jewellery (especially royal) go and see it - it is an exhibition not to be missed.

v thumbnails
"The Cartier Collection - Jewelry"
2. "Cartier seeks Cartier"

Attachments

• Cartier Collection.jpg
    Cartier Collection.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 2,571
  • Cartier.jpg
    Cartier.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 2,610
Last edited:
Duchess of Argyll tiara

The Telegraph, 18 June 2012

Airport sells off Duchess's lost diamond tiara

The Duchess of Argyll
, who lost five pieces of jewellery including a diamond tiara at Glasgow Airport, spotted one of them in an auction catalogue after BAA sold it off, it was reported. The Duchess lost a Victorian headpiece and a Cartier brooch along with three other pieces worth a total of £100,000 in 2006.

The items went missing as she returned to Clan Campbell's ancestral home, Inveraray Castle. Despite reporting the loss to the police and informing the Art Loss Register (ALR), they could not be traced until the Duchess, 68, saw her missing brooch in a Scottish auction house catalogue.

After the ALR investigated, it emerged the airport's owner, BAA, had found the jewellery just months after it went missing and sold it to a diamond merchant for less than £5,000. The proceeds were given to charity. "Apparently, the airport found the jewels or they were turned in to 'lost and found' by someone. They didn't call the police even though the airport police had a record of the theft. They didn't call ALR. The only thing they did was sell them."

The tiara, brooch and a pearl necklace will be returned to the Duchess but an emerald ring and pearl earrings are still missing.

"I'm absolutely amazed. I thought that after six years I'd lost them forever," the Duchess said. "The tiara was a Victorian family one and the necklace was given to me for my 21st birthday. So everything was very special."

the punchline (no laughing!): A BAA spokesman said the authority would be reviewing its procedures.

v The Duchess of Argyll; two diamond tiaras

1. The Duchess wearing the lost and now retrieved tiara (with Cartier brooch?)
2. The Duchess wearing another diamond tiara

[The Duchess, née Eleanor Cadbury, is a scion of the Cadbury chocolate dynasty]
thumbnail images cropped from larger photographs

Attachments

• Duchess of Argyll.jpg
    Duchess of Argyll.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 7,183
  • Duchess of Argyll 2.jpg
    Duchess of Argyll 2.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 4,268
The two photographs shown here are not of Eleanor (née Cadbury) the current Duchess of Argyll, but of her mother-in-law, Iona (née ‪Colquhoun‬), daughter of Sir Ivar Iain Colquhoun, 8th Baronet and the 30th Laird of Luss - Chief of Clan Colquhoun.

Either way, she had to endure 'Lady' Colin Campbell in the family for a while. I cant even imagine.....

:previous:
Here is an article on this tiara: :)

The Spencer Honeysuckle Tiara

This Honeysuckle Tiara is the largely unknown tiara that has belonged to the Spencer Family since 19th century. Not quite as famous as the Spencer Tiara, it's still an impressive piece. The tiara is in Greek key pattern popular at the time of its creation. Diamond honeysuckles rise from the Greek key pattern, gradually decreasing in size from the centre to the sides.

Attachments

• spencertiara1.jpg
    spencertiara1.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,327
Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I had forgot about this tiara. I don't know when Jane or Sarah will ever wear this tiara, unless they attend Charles's coronation in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom