Jewels of the British Nobility 1: Ending Aug. 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
magnik said:
What about jewels of the other nobilities, I mean Spanish, Belgian or Dutch etc.?

The Cröy, Lignes & Merodes must have tiaras, I suppose:ermm:

Devonshire Tiara

Does anyone have a picture of the great diamond tiara of the duchess of Devonshire, made by Skinner in 1892. I think the Royal-Magazin Duchess of Devonshire DIADEM - TIARA mix it up with the Derby tiara. In the book "Tiara" by Scarisbrick, the author says the design of the Derby one is very close to the Devonshire sample. I remember the Devonshire tiara from the V&A exhibition as being very heavy and massive not as light as the Derby version, but extremely regal and one of the most beatiful tiaras I have ever seen. Unfortunately I can´t find any modern close up picture of it, but I remember it from a brochure about Chatsworth. Can someone help me?:)

Thank you Warren for your great help in this matter!

Who owns the

Warren said:
Of the Dukes of Marlborough.
Who owns the Marlborough tiara/Russian imperial tiara today?
I have heard it was bought in the 70´s by Imelda Marcos of the Philipines. Is it still existing or has it been broken up?

Bolin said:
Who owns the Marlborough tiara/Russian imperial tiara today?
I have heard it was bought in the 70´s by Imelda Marcos of the Philipines. Is it still existing or has it been broken up?
Refers to this tiara.

Mr Munn writes on page 406:
"it was sold in 1978 at auction...it was purchased by the London trade and ultimately acquired by Mrs Imelda Marcos, the wife of the President of the Philippines, who is believed to have asked a prominent French jeweller to dismantle it in order that the pearls and diamonds might be used to make jewellery that was more wearable."

Which begs the question: why acquire a superb Russian Imperial artefact and then request that it be broken up into bibs and bobs? :unhappy:

such acts should be made criminal, punishable by beheading!

A Travesty!

What a beautiful tiara it was--one of the loveliest of the Russian pieces. I must agree with Warren--why in the world buy such a stunning piece of work and then dismantle it? What in the world is the point? I don't know what else to say--:ohmy:

The Essex tiara doesn't belong anymore to the Essex familly. It's now part of the Cartier museum. Cartier lent this tiara to Princeese Marguerite of Romania when she married Radu Duda.

Edwina Mountbatten, Countess Mountbatten of Burma Jewels

Hi everyone, I just wanted to start a new topic of Jewels. Does anyone know any other jewels that was worn by Countess Mountbatten. All I know is her beautiful tiara that she wore. (If I was a Princess I would want this tiara)

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/3371/edwinamountbattxq3.th.gif

(I got this picture on Google!)

Last edited:
Does anyone have pictures of the ladies wearing tiaras at the state opening of parliament in the UK (other than HM). I've seen some pictures before, I think, but now that I'm interested I can't seem to find any.

Thanks

Well, good people, I will try again. I sign in and do all the red tape and then they tell me, after I have writtten a passionte, indeed too passionate babbling and that I must go back and refresh myself and log back in. Does this mean they want me to go home and take a bath?? Or what.

In any case I will try again. Sob. I just got to get out of here. All of these jewels together are just an ultra concentrated form of chocolate. They absolute fry my feeble brain. I am blissed out. Notice that I am not snarling at the powers that be but like the evil koala bears who live a life of stoned happiness on eucalyptus leaves, I am living a life of stoned happiness drooling over the royal forums and this last thread with all of these incredible goodies is almost more than my frail and delicate system can stand.

The jewels here are just magnificent and beyond belief. Words fail me, the master of loggorrhea. I must express my deepest gratitude to magnik and others for pandering to my mental illness and obsessions. These things just almost take the breath away. If I were to see the real things I would probably just bliss out and dissolve into space. Cheeers.

Well, good people, I will try again. I sign in and do all the red tape and then they tell me, after I have writtten a passionte, indeed too passionate babbling and that I must go back and refresh myself and log back in. Does this mean they want me to go home and take a bath?? Or what.

It means they want you to hit the Remember Me button when you log in, or this sort of mishap will continue to befall.

Notice that I am not snarling at the powers that be

Good judgement, that man...

Elspeth, Oh She Who Must Be Obeyed,

Hommage, prostrations and obedience. Incense, flowers and jewels, including th tiara snitched from Imelda the Trash Shoe Marcos, may I kindly ask, with all due reverence and respect, (sotto voce in fear and trembling) WHAT ON EARTH IS THE REMEBER ME BUTTON???? Kindly remember that I am a computer mongoloid and simply do not understand these things, besides I have more important obsessions on my mind, ie tiaras, and chocolate. cheers.

Elspeth, Oh She Who Must Be Obeyed,

Hommage, prostrations and obedience. Incense, flowers and jewels, including th tiara snitched from Imelda the Trash Shoe Marcos, may I kindly ask, with all due reverence and respect, (sotto voce in fear and trembling) WHAT ON EARTH IS THE REMEMBER ME BUTTON????

When you log in, there's a box to type your name, and under it is a box to type your password. Next to the box where you type your name, there's a little box with the message "Remember Me" next to it. You need to click that little box so it shows a tick or whatever.

We have a FAQ about it in our set of FAQs; Warren wrote this one especially for people like you who are having this problem. Here's what it says:

My membership has been approved, but I'm having problems staying logged into the forum. Sometimes I can't log in at all, and sometimes I get logged out after a few minutes and lose the post I was in the middle of writing.

It is important to tick the 'Remember Me' box when logging in to the forum. 'Remember Me' sets the cookies in the computer which identify it to the TRF server, thereby authorising access to the site. This allows you to continue to be attached to the site whenever anything changes while you are logged in. This is especially important for AOL users. AOL utilises a constantly switching IP method of internet connection and navigation, and as soon as an IP switch occurs the website's server detects a changed connection. With cookies set, the server knows who you are and carries on as if nothing had happened. Without the cookies set (that is, no 'remember me' ticked), the server is unable to identify you. At the next mouse click, the login screen appears because the server needs to re-establish authorisation. This situation is common to many websites requiring a login ID and password, and is not TRF related.

Ah, thank you, kimebear! I didn't think of checking that wonderful site.

You are welcome CasiraghiTrio! Ursula has done us all such an enormous service with her fantastic site. I could never thank her enough!

The Westminsters have a really stunning collection of jewels--they have stunning Faberge tiaras (one of my very favorite, the Cylcaman is delicate and substantial all at once) Faberges Gold and diamond Cyclamen Tiara | Duke of Westminster

They have the Chaumet Kokoshnik blue enamel and diamond tiara: Chaumet Platin Kokoshnik mit blauem Email | Duke of Westminster

The StUNNING and IMCOMPARABLE Bagration Parue. I LOVE IT. Bagration Parure - Necklace, Earrings, Comb, Tiara Pink Spinel Diamont Set
The Duke gave this to his bride, the current Duchess of Westminster as a wedding gift. SIGHHHHHHHHHH.

The Arcots Diamond tiara--a little extravagent, but still breathtaking
Das berühmte Westminster-Diadem mit den Arcot Diamanten - Westminster Halo Tiara with the Arcot diamonds
but I think the family sold it--not sure though.

And then, there is THIS THING which I find to be poorly executed and much less spectacular than it could be. Not my favorite piece at all and there have been lively discussions about it in the Worst Royal Jewels Thread:
Westminster-Grosvenor Pearl Drop Tiara | Orientperlen Tropfen aus der Schatzkammer der Herzöge

The Derby Diadem - tiara as worn by Mary, Duchess of Devonshire, first Mistress of the Robes to HM QEII, in 1957 (Majesty magazine, September 2007, Vol.28, No.9). Her husband was the 10th Duke of Devonshire.

There is info. about this diadem at Royal Magazin, here and also here. Both links have good pics and info.

The Devonshire Parure
The sixth duke was also noted for commissioning the Devonshire Parure, a seven-piece set that included a necklace, a diadem [I don't know if the Derby diadem was part of this parure], a tiara and such, opulently pavéd with gems collected by the second duke. He presented this drop-dead ensemble to his niece by marriage to wear to the coronation of Czar Alexander II. A spectacular ensemble, it could weigh you down just by looking at it. SOURCE: The New York Times, 9 April 2004

The Westminster-Grosvenor pearl drop tiara does look strange, as if the pearls have been attached upside down. My personal preference would be the base alone using the pearl drops in a necklace. Any other ideas out there?

The Duchess of Grafton and tiara in 1990
Mistress of the Robes to Her Majesty The Queen
Picture 1
Picture 2 (then Sir Robert, now Baron, Fellowes also seen here)
Source: Tim Graham/Getty

The Lady Susan Hussey, Baroness Hussey
Woman of the Bedchamber to HM
2004 Opening of Parliament
Source: Ibid.

Baroness Farnham
Lady of the Bedchamber to HM
2004 Opening of Parliament
Source: Ibid.

The Westminsters really have amazing tiaras, I hope to see them soon in "real". I mean at tiara-occassions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom