Imperial Family of Japan Jewellery 1: Ending 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Meiji Scroll Tiara

This tiara is absolutely stunning. It's regal, timeless, and simply magnificent. I just love the scroll design and the large single diamonds. I do not like the tiara without the large single diamonds or with the star brooches. Nevertheless, it's a classically beautiful tiara, and definitely one of my favorite tiaras of the Japanese royal jewels.

It is quite magnificent and I prefer it without the star attachments that give it too much of a towering effect.

Here are photos of various tiaras in the family:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Of course I don't think this is every tiara in the imperial family.

I love every tiara here except the fifth tiara. But my overall favorite is the Imperial Chrysanthemum Tiara (first photo).

Last edited:
Princess Noriko wearing her tiara in a farewell ceremony prior to her wedding to Kunimaro Senge:
https://imperialfamilyjapan.wordpress.com/tag/princess-noriko/

I am surprised and pleased to see Princess Noriko wearing her tiara for a last time. The last imperial princess to marry within the last couple of decades was Princess Sayako, daughter of the Emperor, and she did not wear her tiara to this ceremony. I have never seen such detailed pictures of this jewel before, as usually this Princess stood far down the line of imperial ladies, at the blurry end of the photos.

Imo, the tiara is of a very dramatic design which astonishes me. It seems out of character with the formal, restrictive Imperial Court of Japan. But then it is also very fitting in the culture of a country surrounded by water and endangered by tsunamis. And the wave imagery is quite a part of Japanese culture, it reminds me of the famous woodblock print of the wave framing in the Mt. Fuji.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a5/Tsunami_by_hokusai_19th_century.jpg

This link was already posted by Jacknch in her family's thread. Princess Noriko (or should I say ex-Princess?) wore a lovely sparkling ornament in her hair at her wedding banquett. I suppose it is a floral diamond brooch, but has anybody here ever seen it before? Maybe worn by her mother?
I must say that I find her absolutely lovely in these pics! It's a great use of this jewel.

Here is a link showing a YouTube video of Princess Sayako wearing her tiara. I think it is during her farewell ceremony prior to her wedding, although she is not wearing the traditional specially patterned dress that Princess Noriko wore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IW9ofC4Iog

And here is a link showing a video of Mr and Mrs Senge's reception, where you can see the jewel that Mrs Senge has in her hair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_doQk9fE88

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for posting those videos! I was obviously wrong about Princess Sayako.
Princess Noriko also wore a beautiful diamond necklace at the banquet.

Thank you for posting those videos! I was obviously wrong about Princess Sayako.
Princess Noriko also wore a beautiful diamond necklace at the banquet.

Well, I was confused too regarding the farewell ceremony because I distinctly recall seeing Princess Sayako (as she was then) arriving at the Imperial Palace during the days before her wedding wearing a floor-length green dress and matching hat - so she either changed into white and tiara inside the palace or it was an event relating to her engagement perhaps.

It is very rare for us to see any of the female members of the Imperial Family wearing their jewels and so the moments should be treasured. In the future, we can look forward to the daughters of Akishino and Kiko getting married where these farewell ceremonies will take place.

Well, I was confused too regarding the farewell ceremony because I distinctly recall seeing Princess Sayako (as she was then) arriving at the Imperial Palace during the days before her wedding wearing a floor-length green dress and matching hat - so she either changed into white and tiara inside the palace or it was an event relating to her engagement perhaps.

It is very rare for us to see any of the female members of the Imperial Family wearing their jewels and so the moments should be treasured. In the future, we can look forward to the daughters of Akishino and Kiko getting married where these farewell ceremonies will take place.
I have seen pictures of Princess Sayako with a white dress but without tiara, and they were titled as being from her wedding. Now I understand that that was probably from another ceremony or reception.

Let's not forget that Princess Noriko still has two unmarried sisters, and then there are also her two cousins, Princesses Akiko and Yoko of Mikasa. They are all a couple of years older than both Akishino Princesses and more likely to marry soon.

The younger daughter of the Akishinos will turn 20 at the end of this year. So she will receive her own tiara this year. Since there were official tiara pictures of her sister, I expect the same for her.

I have seen pictures of Princess Sayako with a white dress but without tiara, and they were titled as being from her wedding. Now I understand that that was probably from another ceremony or reception.

Let's not forget that Princess Noriko still has two unmarried sisters, and then there are also her two cousins, Princesses Akiko and Yoko of Mikasa. They are all a couple of years older than both Akishino Princesses and more likely to marry soon.

The younger daughter of the Akishinos will turn 20 at the end of this year. So she will receive her own tiara this year. Since there were official tiara pictures of her sister, I expect the same for her.

Yes, the rather lovely white dress in very heavy silk with a plain and simple design, and with a pearl necklace, was for the actual wedding ceremony and brief media interview. Thereafter, she wore a traditional kimono for the banquet.
Princess Mako looked stunning in her new tiara and I do hope we will have a formal showing exactly the same for Princess Kako.
So we have at least four more interesting weddings in the years to come, with viewings of the lovely jewels too.
Official photos showing the Emperor's nieces are few and far between.

Dutch State Visit- State banquet

Princess Masako´s tiara, brooch and necklace

Images have been cropped (less than 20%) and are not subject of copyright

Attachments

• masako.jpg
    masako.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 771
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Japanese Pearl Sunburst Tiara

This is one of my absolute favorite tiaras in the imperial family. I love the classic design, the shape, and regal appearance. The necklace is also exquisite. Simply, a very stunningly beautiful tiara.

I agree, it is a lovely variation on the traditional Fringe and Kokoshnik designs. What I find interesting is that we have seen a wide variety of Fringe tiara's in Europe, but have never seen any with pearls. To me, the pearls really soften the look of the parure.

wow, didn't masako look simply stunning in that parure. what a set of beautiful pieces!

Princess Kako's parure

I think it was in 2012 that there were reports of the Imperial Household Agency were calling for bids from jewellery firms for the tiara and other jewels which Princess Kako were to receive on her 20th birthday. The bid was won by the Japanese jewelry firm Mikimoto. Today we finally can see what they have come up with. There are some gorgeous close-ups on this Spanish site:
http://members5.boardhost.com/Infanta/msg/1419843535.html

Imo it’s a classic parure, typical of the style preferred by the Imperial family, symmetrical with the necklace mirroring the tiara. The design resembles the design of her mother’s parure more than her sister’s, although Princess Mako’s tiara is of the same size and a similar style.

Let’s hope that we will see it again on Thursday at the New Year’s Reception at the Imperial Palace!

Beautiful, elegant and does not overpower HIH's delicate features. Really lovely.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

At today's New Year reception:
Emperor asks nation to learn from history in New Year statement | The Japan Times

The Empress stopped wearing tiaras for health reasons, behind her are the Princess Akishino, her daughters Princesses Mako and Kako of Akishino, Princess Hitachi, Princesses Akiko and Yoko of Mikaso, Princess Takamado and one of her daughters. As usual with the Japanese Court the picture gets blurry toward the minor ladies in the back.

edit:
Here is a screen shot of the bejewelled ladies,
http://s27.postimg.org/gckrqaoir/Japan_2015.jpg
thanks to a video posted here: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...vents-2-june-2008-a-17458-19.html#post1736228
Now I'm no longer sure if the lady in the grey dress is Princess Hitachi. Could it be Princess Mikasa?

Last edited:
Princess Kako´s tiara and necklace

Images have been cropped (less than 20%) and are not subject of copyright

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 442
  • 1i.jpg
    1i.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 357
A touch of colour and more than a touch of glitter...

Imperial Princesses at the New Year's Reception 1 January 2015
These images are not copyrighted photographs but screen caps from news broadcasts.

New%20Year%20Reception%201%20Jan%202015%202.jpg

New%20Year%20Reception%201%20Jan%202015%20Kiko%20Mako%20Kako%20Tomohito%20Akiko%20Yoko.jpg

L to R: Princess Kiko of Akishino and her daughters Princess Mako & Princess Kako;
Princess Tomohito of Mikasa and her daughters Princess Akiko & Princess Yohko;
Princess Takamado and her eldest daughter Princess Tsuguko.

Princess Takamado at Prince Carl Philip´s wedding.

Images have been cropped (less than 20% of the originals) and are not subject of copyright

Attachments

• japan.jpg
    japan.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 1,548
It is a shame...this family always looks like they are held hostage. Everything is so simple...the state dinners..the furniture...maybe it is a cultural thing, but they looked "forced" happy in their pics. The only time they seem genuinely happy is when they are out of the country.

Images have been cropped (less than 20% of the originals) and are not subject of copyright
The necklace belongs to the set of her wedding tiara. She wore it at Madeleine's wedding and you can see how it the necklace mirrors the tiara design.

picture cropped to less than 20%

I believe that the tiara which Princess Hisako of Takamado wore yesterday is the same which her sister-in-law Princess Yasuko of Mikasa wore at her wedding:
View image: Yasuko of Mikasa

It is a shame...this family always looks like they are held hostage. Everything is so simple...the state dinners..the furniture...maybe it is a cultural thing, but they looked "forced" happy in their pics. The only time they seem genuinely happy is when they are out of the country.
It is very much a "cultural thing" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_values
and I find the impression of dignity, grace and serenity, that this family gives, most refreshing :flowers:

Those jewels are so stunning and regal. I just love the designs.

A better pic of Princess Yasuko of Mikasa with the pearl drop tiara. I still believe that this must be the same tiara which Princess Hisako of Takamdo wore at Carl Philp's wedding.
Getty Images

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom