Imperial Family of Japan Jewellery 1: Ending 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to Youtube algorithm, I found this 2-months old video from one of the channels of TV Tokyo, title translated as "What tiaras can Princess Aiko use?", the guest (royal correspondent of TV Tokyo) has shared something interesting about the tiaras of JIF (and a bit of Mako's lump sum issue at the end).

P.S. It's in Japanese.
P.P.S. Lower your expectations, these isn't any fascinating footage or pictures of the jewels :D

Clarification: I don't read Japanese (except Kanji which is similar to Chinese) and I relied on Youtube subtitle and Google translate, therefore it's not necessarily accurate lol (I read both English and Chinese version of the translated subtitle, hopefully I wasn't fooled :lol: but still feel free to correct me and translate if you are able to read Japanese:flowers:).
  1. As the guest knows, there are 10 tiaras were made with IHA/national budget after WWII.
    - I assume it includes the 8 newest tiaras (1-2-3 from the Akishinos, 4-5-6 from the Takamados and 7-8 from the Mikasas, all made during 1990-2000s), and the rest 2 would be either the 2 tiaras (here and here) owned by Michiko as CP (made during 1950-1960s), or the two second-newest tiaras made during 1980s (here and here).
  2. For tiaras that made with IHA/national budget, it has to return to JIF if the owner leave the IF (for example Noriko and Ayako, tiaras were returned after marriage). (By that I interpret it as for these aren't made with IHA/national budget, they are personal property and the owners can do whatever they want.)
  3. 5 tiaras from Setsuko (P Chichibu) and Kikuko (P Takamatsu) had been given to JIF (the guest actually used the word "寄贈 (gift/donate)" here, and while he talked about Noriko and Ayako he used "返し (return)", I interpret it as the tiaras were their own property?).
  4. So the guest concluded that if she wouldn't get a new tiara, still there are (at least) 7 state/IHA-owned tiaras available to Aiko, including two from Noriko and Ayako, and 5 from Setsuko and Kikuko.

So which 5 tiaras are possibly donated to JIF from Setsuko and Kikuko?:
  • Setsuko's honeysuckle tiara (Already back to JIF: Michiko had worn it after her death in 1995)
  • Setsuko's pearl drops tiara (Already back to JIF: Yuriko had worn the tiara in 1997 and Masako also had worn the necklace in 2001)
  • Kikuko's floral tiara (Still unseen after her death)
  • Kikuko's fringe necklace tiara (Still unseen after her death)
    - There is also a theory that it maybe came from her paternal aunt Tokugawa Tsuneko, who married Prince Fushimi Hiroyasu, and Tsuneko could be inherited it from Princess Arisugawa Toshiko, the wife of her father-in-law (Hiroyasu's mother was concubine). (Here for more photos of the mentioned ladies wearing same/similar fringe pieces, Japanese article BTW, personally I think the frames are quite different.)
  • the photo Prisma had shared on twitter which shows Kikuko was wearing some tiara/headpiece with coloured stone, maybe it could be one of the five returned tiaras?
  • Another possibility: As Setsuko and Kikuko both had no children, maybe some tiaras of Hitachi, Mikasa and Takamado branch, especially these without clear origin, were actually inherited/a gift from them? (such as this, this or this?)
  • Or simply some of these tiaras were dismentled for the new tiaras?

Last edited:
Thank your for this interesting information!

Here are some of my thoughts on the topic:
- About the ten tiaras made with IHA budget: I tend to believe that this refers to the ten newest tiaras. So probably not those two tiaras that Michiko and Masako both wore as CPs.
What about Princess Sayako's tiara? It looks like the tiara of Masako, Princess Nashimoto, but I heard speculation that Sayako's tiara is only a copy and not the original tiara of Masako. If it was made for Sayako, then it's the ninth oldest tiara.

As for Princess Aiko, I don't think that she'll receive a jewels set that was worn until recently by the Takamado princesses. Firstly that they only left the IF fairly recently, and secondly those tiaras were pretty small. I somehow can't imagine that the Emperor's daughter will have a smaller tiara than the emperor's nieces (Mako & Kako).
Setsuko's honeysuckle has kind of become the third Empress' tiara, so I don't think it will be for Aiko. The Kikuko's rather small coloured stone tiara doesn't seam likely, because it's a. small and b. a coloured stone.
The other three tiaras, pearl drop, floral and fringe, I can imagine very well, although I think that this particular fringe works better as a necklace than as tiara.

Last edited:
:previous: Sayako's tiara is a bit different as it wasn't made with IHA budget (Prisma had gave a better explanation about it in Aiko's thread), that's why the guest hadn't mentioned a lot about it (assuming that is her personal property and not necessarily had to been returned). I also think it's just inspired by Masako's tiara and not the original too, there are something different (BTW Mikimoto also had other tiaras that have similar design which they displayed in exhibition).

The honeysuckle didn't passed to Masako from Michiko after the enthronement (Masako only took over the Meiji and chrysanthemum, Prisma had shared the list in page 15). Which makes me think that maybe it's not considered as "Empress tiara", so it still could be available to Aiko IF Michiko gifts it or IHA re-allocates it to her;).

:previous: I know that the honeysuckle tiara is not one of the 'official' empress jewels, that necessarily come with the position. But after it has been worn by Empress Michiko, it somehow seems too important to be worn by a mere princess. I don't know if it is privately owned by Michiko, more likely it is somehow owned by the IF. But it wouldn't surprise me, if it is available for Masako to wear in the future. Or I can imagine it to be worn as a secondary tiara of the Crown Princess, though i think the first option is more likely.

Similarly, do we know the status of the pearl fringe tiara worn by both Michiko and Masako as CPs? It might be an official jewel of the respective CP and be worn by Kiko at some point. Or could it also have been a private jewel of Michiko, who decided to pass it on to her daughter-in-law, who might pass it on to Aiko?

The Imperial Household Agency reports Princess Aiko will wear her aunt Sayako Kuroda's tiara for her coming-of-age audience ceremony on December 5. The tiara will be adjusted to fit her head shape better.

Sources: Jiji, Sankei
Well, I was wrong about privately funded new tiara ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ETA: The TV Tokyo video also mentions Aiko will wear robe montante to worship at the Imperial Palace Sanctuaries and robe décolleté for the audience ceremony.

Princess Aiko's 20th birthday ceremonies to be held mainly on Dec. 5 - Kyodo News
[...]

The tiara will be borrowed from her aunt Sayako Kuroda, who left the imperial household upon marriage to a commoner in 2005, as the agency decided not to create a new one for her amid the pandemic.

On Dec. 5, Princess Aiko will also receive well-wishes from Prime Minister Fumio Kishida and other family members.

As the princess has classes on Dec. 1, she will have a meal with her parents after receiving well-wishes from aides including Yasuhiko Nishimura, grand steward of the agency, at the palace.

[...]
Princess Aiko's Coming-Of-Age Ceremonies Set for Dec. 5 | Nippon.com
A press conference by Princess Aiko on reaching the adult age is under consideration, according to the Imperial Household Agency.

Last edited:
The Imperial Household Agency reports Princess Aiko will wear her aunt Sayako Kuroda's tiara for her coming-of-age audience ceremony on December 5. The tiara will be adjusted to fit her head shape better.

Sources: Jiji, Sankei
Well, I was wrong about privately funded new tiara ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Princess Aiko is in the same position as her aunt - daughter of a current Emperor. I think it's a nice touch and honours her aunt in a beautiful manner :flowers:

Imho, that is a good decision. It's a beautiful tiara and should be kept in use. The size is appropriate for an emperor's daughter. Also, it doesn't make sense to keep making new tiaras that will go out of use after a few years because the wearer leaves the IF. And of course, in these times it's sensible to keep the costs down.

I can't wait to see pictures of Aiko's first tiara appearance!

Imho, that is a good decision. It's a beautiful tiara and should be kept in use. The size is appropriate for an emperor's daughter.

I agree, it makes sense to use the tiara's already in the family.

Also, it doesn't make sense to keep making new tiaras that will go out of use after a few years because the wearer leaves the IF.

A very relevant point. Japanese princesses tend to only have a few years to wear their tiaras before they marry and leave the imperial family.

It's a lovely tiara and it does make more sense to re use ones they already have rather than making new ones for who get a decade or less use out of them.

It's also a nice continuity with/tribute to her aunt.

Nice choice! I am not a really big fans of this tiara (not that I hate it, but I think there are couples tiara better than this one), but I appreciate it that an old piece that used by another princess who is the only daughter of the emperor.

And I am greedy, I hope she will be allowed to access to more old pieces in future:p

Edit: realized that the article wrote it's borrowed from Sayako. Is it a typo, or does it actually indicate that Sayako does own the tiara even after her marriage?

Last edited:
It's both nice Aiko gets to maintain this continuity with her aunt, and I personally feel it's a bit unfair. The parures are the only things Japanese princesses get to acknowledge their place in the family. Every single princess has received one for decades now, except Aiko, and she's the emperor's daughter. I am sure Sayako's tiara will look lovely on her, but unless they are planning to give her her own next year or the year after, it feels like she's being shortchanged.

It's both nice Aiko gets to maintain this continuity with her aunt, and I personally feel it's a bit unfair. The parures are the only things Japanese princesses get to acknowledge their place in the family. Every single princess has received one for decades now, except Aiko, and she's the emperor's daughter. I am sure Sayako's tiara will look lovely on her, but unless they are planning to give her her own next year or the year after, it feels like she's being shortchanged.

Perhaps she gets to choose a new necklace?

Instead of a new tiara, I hope she can have something she can still own even after getting married in future.

I agree that it would have been less clumsy to enforce this change beginning with the next generation, particularly since Aiko is the last princess of the blood of her generation. That being said, I understand why the family/agency made the decision that they did. Taxpayers who are struggling to support their own families during the pandemic or who are disgruntled from seeing the imperial family discounting public sentiment to marry as they please will be scrutinizing the public spending of the imperial family right now, not in 30-40 years when Hisahito's daughters come of age. To use a Western comparison, it is similar to Prince Edward in Britain receiving a much less lavish wedding than all three of his siblings, at a time when the British royal family was the target of criticism. While it was perhaps unfair to Edward, more than twenty years on, most royal watchers seem to think the decision was justified.

Last edited:
I refuse to believe they're going to leave her with nothing of her own. But I see why they made this decision. The pandemic turned the world quite upside down and objectively or not, tiaras are one of the few things demonstrating the extremely exalted position royals are born in. A new tiara, of all things, would be, fairly or not, seen as flashing their privilege in this upturned world.

Is it fair to Aiko, the only princess not to get a tiara of her own? Perhaps not. But royal families should take many things into consideration.

I agree that it would have been less clumsy to enforce this change beginning with the next generation, particularly since Aiko is the last princess of the blood of her generation. That being said, I understand why the family/agency made the decision that they did. Taxpayers who are struggling to support their own families during the pandemic or who are disgruntled from seeing the imperial family discounting public sentiment to marry as they please will be scrutinizing the public spending of the imperial family right now, not in 30-40 years when Hisahito's daughters come of age. To use a Western comparison, it is similar to Prince Edward in Britain receiving a much less lavish wedding than all three of his siblings, at a time when the British royal family was the target of criticism. While it was perhaps unfair to Edward, more than twenty years on, most royal watchers seem to think the decision was justified.

With all due respect, I don't believe that's an accurate analogy. Edward (and Sophie) were completely mature adults and it was given at the time that it was also their wish for a more low-key wedding. Given their lifestyle since, it seems it was true.

Princesses have gotten their parures through the aftermath of war, economic crises, and the death of an Emperor (this tiara). Japan just pulled off an Olympics in a pandemic, with intense criticism. I don't think finding a new tiara for Aiko (which causes no real harm or risk to anyone) would have produced such a firestorm.

The IHA is terrible at PR, but there should have been a statement from Aiko saying she's excited to use her aunt's tiara and looks forward to it, if this was what she really wanted to do. They are so reluctant to ever change rigid tradition until it suddenly suits them. It just happens to look cheap, petty, and unfair.

Last edited:
I see your points but respectfully disagree. As you stated, the government's determination to hold the Olympics amidst a worsening pandemic fueled a firestorm of fury among the general population. A number of political journalists cited it as one of the reasons Prime Minister Suga was ultimately forced to resign his job. But the government had no attractive options, as breaching their agreement with the IOC would have exposed them to even more enormous financial losses.

The Imperial Family and Imperial Household Agency luckily have the freedom to decline a new tiara without suffering financial consequences. Yes, it is a break with a tradition that has outlasted other economic crises, but it continues the trend of other spending decisions made by the IF, IHA, and government in recent years, such as the major cost reductions for Naruhito's inauguration compared to his father's (and that was prior to the pandemic).

Personally, I am fine with ending the rigid tradition of purchasing individual tiaras for princesses. In contrast to other "rigid traditions", such as court ceremonies, I see it as a fairly minor tradition. The change harms no one except possibly Aiko (if she wanted a new tiara like her cousins) and it arguably benefits taxpayers.

But again, I agree it would have been fairer to Aiko to begin a new tradition of reusing tiaras with the next generation (or to have started it two decades ago, when the Mikasa princesses came of age). My point is simply that I think the decision is understandable. An announcement that Aiko would be the last princess to receive a new tiara would have been fairer, but might sound like empty words to imperial family critics, as the next generation of princesses coming of age is still 25+ years away.

I agree it was a missed PR opportunity not to announce or leak (I am not sure if a minor issuing a formal press release would be allowed by protocol) that the decision came from Aiko, but I'm not sure emphasizing her excitement to use her aunt's tiara would be a good idea. After her cousin's marriage controversy, I would be concerned about it being spun as another princess breaching tradition to suit her own whims. But presenting it as Aiko making the decision out of sensitivity to the pandemic would hopefully have earned her respect from the public.

With all due respect, I don't believe that's an accurate analogy. Edward (and Sophie) were completely mature adults and it was given at the time that it was also their wish for a more low-key wedding. Given their lifestyle since, it seems it was true.

You could be right. I am not an expert on the history of the Wessexes' wedding. But it is a popular narrative that the wedding was scaled down to pacify public opinion, and it has been repeated many times on this forum, and so I meant it as an example of Western royal watchers viewing the alleged decision to slim costs during a difficult time with approval. But if there is evidence that the popular narrative is false, then I apologize for repeating it.

Last edited:
I refuse to believe they're going to leave her with nothing of her own. But I see why they made this decision. The pandemic turned the world quite upside down and objectively or not, tiaras are one of the few things demonstrating the extremely exalted position royals are born in. A new tiara, of all things, would be, fairly or not, seen as flashing their privilege in this upturned world.

Is it fair to Aiko, the only princess not to get a tiara of her own? Perhaps not. But royal families should take many things into consideration.

In essence no any Japanese Princess has a "tiara of her own" anyway. All of them are returned to the imperial vaults.

And considered the property of the individual Princesses for as long as they're Princesses. Should a Princess never marry, she would have that parure for life. Saying "no Japanese princess" isn't accurate, in essence or fact.

And considered the property of the individual Princesses for as long as they're Princesses. Should a Princess never marry, she would have that parure for life. Saying "no Japanese princess" isn't accurate, in essence or fact.

With "in their own" I was thinking about a cassette of jewels given as a personal cadeau to the birthday girl. But that is not the case. They get the use of a cassette which will never be theirs, which can not be given to their daughters, which can not be sold, etc.

Given that the princess is studying both English and Spanish, I wonder if studying abroad in a Spanish-speaking country will be a possibility for her?

I agree it was a missed PR opportunity not to announce or leak (I am not sure if a minor issuing a formal press release would be allowed by protocol) that the decision came from Aiko, but I'm not sure emphasizing her excitement to use her aunt's tiara would be a good idea. After her cousin's marriage controversy, I would be concerned about it being spun as another princess breaching tradition to suit her own whims. But presenting it as Aiko making the decision out of sensitivity to the pandemic would hopefully have earned her respect from the public.

I stand corrected. According to Asahi, the IHA did leak such a message.

The government approved at a Cabinet meeting on Nov. 16 that it will award the Grand Cordon of the Order of the Precious Crown to Aiko on her birthday for reaching adulthood.

[...]

Female imperial family members typically start to wear tiaras after they become adults. But Aiko won’t get a new tiara and will borrow one from Sayako Kuroda, the emperor’s younger sister, to wear at her ceremonies.

According to the imperial family’s close aides, Aiko and her parents took into consideration the worsening situation of economic activities and people’s daily lives amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

It has not been decided if Aiko will receive her own tiara in the future.

https://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/14483487

Duc posted in response to Moran's comment "I refuse to believe they're going to leave her with nothing of her own" which, I think, was in response to W.Y.CII's comment that "I hope she can have something she can still own even after getting married in future", which would rule out property whose ownership is conditional on remaining unmarried.

Sayako's tiara wasn't new. It was in the family since circa 1924. This tiara is far more impressive and expensive than latest new ones.
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday (on a Friday): Princess Nori's Tiara

I highly doubt they're exact same pieces. You can tell those two are similar but not completely same (see the centre elements) (the sizes/heights seem different as well but could be because of the tiara placements). Anyway of course the quality of the photos from Sayako are usually quite poor, let's hope we can compare them with better photos after Aiko wears it.

Edit-more photos for comparison: the "C" shape/scroll elements seems quite different to me. The scrolls of the older one are in "C" shape and facing same direction, while Sayako's are intertwined.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eog6o1KUUAAlcrC.png

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-OC3EQmOJ...a+of+Korea+here+Sayako%2C+Princess+Nori+2.jpg

BTW I have said that I am not a big fans of this tiara but I can't wait to see Aiko wear it, with a tiara placement different from her aunt's, as I realize I am actually not a big fans of how she wore it like a headband:flowers: (plus I'm partial towards Aiko:p).

Last edited:
Indeed I mean that she surely got something that would stay with her, married or not. Obviously a tiara wasn't it. I believe she's going to get something, though.

But a tiara "of their own" (made specifically for them, no matter how long they get to keep it) is a sign of acknowledgment for Japanese princesses. One could say it's even more important to get this "token" since they aren't going to realistically own it and will lose their "ownership" once they get married. But royal (and imperial, of course) families must take into account the ever changing realities.

Much like Amalia refusing her public funding until she actually starts working for it, Aiko and her tiara may be looked at as a case of "right now, we can go without THIS expense".

:above:
But a tiara "of their own" (made specifically for them, no matter how long they get to keep it) is a sign of acknowledgment for Japanese princesses
I disagree, actually. As Crown Princess Masako never got 'a tiara of her own'. She had the two tiaras that her mother-in-law had worn herself as CP, and one of them is now being worn by the new CP Kiko. We don't know yet who has the pearl fringe tiara right now, but most people assume that it also comes with the title of CP and now is also with Kiko. On the other hand, as Empress Masako now has the privilege to wear the Meiji scroll and the chrysanthemum tiara, and probably also the honeysuckle tiara.

So, imo, it's an acknowledgement of status and esteem that the Empress and the Crown Princess are allowed to wear these prestigious and historic heirlooms.

There were not that many old family tiaras around, so they had to make new ones for the new princesses for a couple of years. They simply had to make new ones. And especially the Takamado princesses got tiaras of rather moderate size. Besides, I read that the tiaras are returned to the IHA after marriages, so they are not a personal gift to kept.

Imo, it's a question of perspective: do you consider the Sayako/Aiko-tiara as cheap hand-me-down, or do you see it as the privilege of the Emperor's daughter to wear this historic heirloom jewel?

Imo, it's a question of perspective: do you consider the Sayako/Aiko-tiara as cheap hand-me-down, or do you see it as the privilege of the Emperor's daughter to wear this historic heirloom jewel?

Good point. Interestingly while I agree that it's a privilege for Aiko, as the daughter of emperor, to use the tiara of Sayako, who is also the daughter of another emperor (also it's one of the few privately owned tiara in the family AFAIK?), I also feel it's a pity that Aiko doesn't have "her own tiara", not because the tiara is a hand-me-down or she doesn't get a newly made one, but it's only a loan from her aunt rather than a gift (based on what the article said, they emphasized it's borrowed). (However I also have the impression that most tiaras of the family are loans from IHA as well, there are never "tiaras of their own" except Sayako and maybe some older princesses.)

Additional info (ETA: Except for Japan Forward article, most are Google translations):

"...The Imperial Household Agency will consider making a new tiara in the future, explaining "I have no plans to make it for the time being, but I can't afford to borrow it forever." In addition, regarding the production cost, since the public money of the Imperial Household Agency has been applied since Princess Akiko of Mikasa..."
Source: https://txbiz.tv-tokyo.co.jp/txn/news_txn/post_240740

"... It is said that tiara was made 10 times after the war with the national budget, such as when the female royal family became an adult, but Aiko's tiara was not included in the budget this year and was attracting attention. Their Majesties and Aiko are very grateful that Sayako Kuroda is willing to lend them along with other jewelry..."
Source: https://txbiz.tv-tokyo.co.jp/txn/news_txn/post_240587

Sayako's tiara was paid from the daily/living expenses for the Emperor at the time, so it remains hers after marriage.
Source: https://www.fnn.jp/articles/-/271332

"... Tiaras inherited by the empresses are part of a group of heirlooms that are recognized by the Imperial Household Agency as “historical articles to be inherited with the throne.” Meanwhile, tiaras worn by other women in the imperial family for events such as their coming-of-age ceremony are often custom-ordered by the Imperial Household Agency, along with other jewelry.

In the past, orders were made to specific contractors based on no-bid contracts. However, when imperial cousin Princess Yōko of Mikasa became of age in 2003, a bid system with handpicked participants was introduced..."
Imperial Trivia: The Empress's Tiara | JAPAN Forward

"... Jewelry such as tiaras are not made for luxury. This is because the adult royal family has taken on public affairs, and it is polite to wear a formal dress with a medal at international goodwill such as palace events and dinner parties that treat foreign state guests and guests..."
Source: https://dot.asahi.com/dot/2021111900025.html?page=2

Based on the above:
- If Sayako's tiara is considered private property then I'm confused why can't Aiko continue to borrow it? What's Sayako using it for? She didn't wear it at her brother's enthronement (a missed opportunity whereas former Mikasa and Takamado princesses wore necklaces or bracelets as tiaras)
- the IHA formalized using public funds for tiara/parure since Akiko's coming-of-age in 2001
- some tiaras made before 2001 seem unclear even though I assume they were paid from "private/daily expenses"? A few are designated as specifically for Empress or Crown Princess but others have been inherited/picked after the original wearer died. Michiko wore Princess Chichibu's Honeysuckle tiara as a 3rd option. Yuriko wore Chichibu's drop tiara at least once in 1997.
- maybe there's an understanding/expectation that regardless of how it was paid, tiaras are meant for public service and are never truly private (similar to W.Y.CII's post above)
- 7 known publicly funded tiaras: Akiko, Yoko, Tsuguko, Noriko, Ayako, Mako, Kako. If 10 is accurate, what are the other 3?

Here's my post on the Yi Bangja / Mikimoto replica / Sayako tiara confusion

More footage of Sayako's tiara after Aiko's news:
sayako_tiara_fnn.png

sayako_tiara_ann.jpg

sayako_tiara_ann2.jpg

sayako_chokennogi.jpg

Last edited:
Is it possible that this is Aiko's own idea?

During the recent press conferences it came out that Mako refusing/donating the lump sum to get started on a new life from the tax payer was something she had been thinking about for years and not solely to do with the issues with Kei because she was someone who had always been concerned about sources of anger against her family.

Could this be a similar thing? That whilst recent events made this seem the desirable course of action to the IHA.

ETA: It doesn't seem to have been mentioned as a reason in any of Prisma's additional links so perhaps not.

Last edited:
:previous: It seems to be a group decision: IHA, Emperor Naruhito, Empress Masako, and Princess Aiko.

"... It is said that the series of events was based on the events when the eldest daughter of the Emperor Akihito [and Empress Michiko], Sayako Kuroda, became an adult.

In addition, while the robe décolletage for formal wear worn at palace events will be made, the tiara (coronet) will be [loaned from] Mrs. Kuroda. According to the Imperial Household Agency, considering the impact of the new corona sickness, after consulting with Their Majesties and Aiko, the new [tiara] has been postponed at this time. Tiara was [created] at the time of Mrs. Kuroda's adult event with the "internal court fee" used for the private activities of the emperor, and Mrs. Kuroda said that she consented to the loan..."

Source: Mainichi

Sayako's coming-of-age events were delayed a year due to Emperor Showa's death and mourning period. Aiko isn't waiting a year but hers will be scaled-down/postponed due to the pandemic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom