Grand Duchess Maria Teresa Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love her tiara!!!! Stunning beyond words as with all her other jewels collections.

I've always wondered why the late GD didn't like MT? She a lovely person and has done alot for her country, her husband clearly adores her and together they've produced a bunch of wonderful kids... Beside, she always carry herself well.

If the rumours are true and she was denied the use of some of the jewels - like the diamond tiara - then, i'm glad that she now has access to them in her own rights as GD...

JC thought of her daughters-in-law as women who took her little boys away from her. Plus her children all married for love while the marriage between her and Jean was arranged. But while Sibilla was "at least" noble (or is she even royal?) Maria Teresa was "only" a commoner. A commoner who - in JC'eyes - was proceeding to take her boy away? Not good. She liked to call MT "La negrita" or "Little Cuban" in english like MII said. And when a couple years ago (in 2002 IIRC) Maria Teresa had some informal meeting with the press a journalist asked at the end a question and she broke down and said JC was spreading rumors Henri cheated on his wife. :mad: Of course it got out. No idea whether they all talked about it and sorted things finally out. But it must have been awful for MT. Just imagine having a mother-in-law and grandmother to your children no less who doesn't like you at all for 20 years! :eek:

And yes she looked stunning during the state visit. :) That tiara is very impressive.

I love her new necklace! Maybe an anniversary gift from Henri? It looks like it can be converted into a tiara. That would be a nice first tiara for Alexandra.

christinacg said:
I love her new necklace! Maybe an anniversary gift from Henri? It looks like it can be converted into a tiara. That would be a nice first tiara for Alexandra.

It does look like it could be converted into a tiara. It would be a beautiful tiara at that. I do also wonder what tiara Alexandra will get when she comes of age. In Luxembourg is that 18 or 21 or a different age?

Lovely pair of earrings, also from her Silver Wedding Anniversary celebrations. They're huge! (From P.P.E.)

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=253159&d=1151835144

gogm said:
The left picture posted by Rere in #33 is almost southeast Asian or Indian looking. Very elaborate curves.

In fact it is very much European. Napoleonic, to be specific, with heavy influence of the Greek Revival. Note the classical order of the pattern, as opposed to more realistic floral designs on such tiaras as the Mellerio floral of Spanish Queen Sophia, and the deliberate symmetry of the Luxembourg tiara in contrast to Rococo designs like that of the Swedish Braganza tiara of Queen Silvia.

Ms Griffin said:
But while Sibilla was "at least" noble (or is she even royal?) Maria Teresa was "only" a commoner. A commoner who - in JC'eyes - was proceeding to take her boy away? Not good. She liked to call MT "La negrita" or "Little Cuban" in english like MII said. And when a couple years ago (in 2002 IIRC) Maria Teresa had some informal meeting with the press a journalist asked at the end a question and she broke down and said JC was spreading rumors Henri cheated on his wife. :mad:

"La negrita" does not translate to "Little Cuban". :mad: For all the Spanish-speakers out there, I'm sure you know why I'm a little more than annoyed with Josephine-Charlotte for this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah. it is new. I think GD Henri gave this to MT on their anniversary-

Pearl earrings and necklace, golden watches and rings from recent event:

source: luxroyals- Polfoto
Does anyone know if that ring with black stone is her engament ring?

From the state visit to Belgium it seems that MT has got a lot of new jewels (big brooch from gala dinner; demi-parure of diamonds and turquoises from the last night)...

Lucky woman!

:flowers:

I think the turquoise necklace is new and the other ones are from the family's vault. I expect to see MT in more hidden gems, because JC mainly wore her favorite pieces.

It's hard to discuss the jewels she was wearing without a pic, so here's one...

Brussels, March 2007

Last edited:
Diamonds!

Here's another pic from Brussels showing the grand Luxembourg tiara at it's best...

Last edited:
Does anyone have a picture of the Turquoise Necklace?

michelleq said:
Does anyone have a picture of the Turquoise Necklace?

You can see the turquoise collier in all its sparkle in a video.

See link.

:flowers:

The Real Jewel

For me Maria Teresa has always been the real jewel from the moment I saw pictures of her betrothal.She is one of the few royals that did not marry for the wrong reasons and will never divorce therefore for the right ones.
Her tiaras and necklaces look resplendent on her because Maria Teresa is the real jewel no matter what she wears.

Jaya said:
She is one of the few royals that did not marry for the wrong reasons and will never divorce therefore for the right ones.

How do you know that?

:ermm:

I'm not an expert on M-T (having just really "discovered" the Grand Ducal family myself) but she does seem to have a real flair for wearing her jewels. I think it's rare that someone can wear something like that fabulous tiara and not have it overshadow the loosk and personality of the wearer but M-T seems to achieve that.:flowers:

Thanks, ayvee.

That sapphire (yes?) and diamond tiara is simply beautiful. That close-up picture reveals what artful craftmanship went into its creation. I'm absolutely in love with the depth of the leaves in the wreath pattern, not to mention the quality and size of the stones (!)...

I think that it's a very complimentary piece for MT. I think I've actually seen it on her before, though, I think some state visit to or from Portugal.

I do think that Grand Duchess Maria Teresa is really a beautiful woman--she wears her jewels quite well--even that hideous art deco necklace set in squares she managed to make attractive--not an easy feat, mind you!
I've always thought that she and Henri make a striking couple. I'm so glad she has access to the family jewels now--althought as I recall the daughters wanted to auction off a large number of pieces.

I've removed some posts. Could we please keep the discussion to the topic of jewels and avoid further digressions into JC and MT's relationship or speculation about the family finances.

Warren
Royal Jewels moderator

These two tiaras which MT wore in Sweden are really beautiful--the workmanship in each is remarkable. Are they set in platinum? Does anyone know?
The sapphire piece is really impressive, and it looks wonderful on MT! She wears these pieces wonderfully well. The all diamond tiara was, I believe a wedding present to JC and large central stone is an 8 carat diamond that can be worn as a ring.

I noticed that in many of the older pics of J-C she is wearing two very long "strings" of diamonds that don't seem to resemble any of the necklaces I have seen M-T wear. I know that necklaces can be shortened but even the size of the stones look different to any of M-T's necklaces. I also want to say that in contrast to a previous post which remarked that the Luxembourg Royals don't have many jewels I think that they have a very impressive collection especially bearing in mind that they are a Grand Duchy and not a Kingdom.

P.S. I still havn't seen M-T's turquoises yet. Any pics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom