Grand Duchess Maria Teresa Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Alyend Maria Teresa wore this diamond saphire piece (as a necklance) during last year Monaco wedding gala. That was first and last time I saw her wearing it.

The Sartorialist is right when she says that it looks best backed by a veil. I think that Maria Teresa and Marie-Astrid wore it very well as a wedding tiara. However, it looked awkward with Margaretha's hair style and seemed too skimpy on Josephine-Charlotte.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a gorgeous piece but I think I like is as a necklace better. It really shows the incredible diamonds that way.

Although I, too, prefer it as a necklace, IMO any tiara is a good wedding tiara.

Of the 3 I prefer the Belgian scroll tiara,I'm not a fan of the Emerald Tiara.

I certainly like the floral and Belgium scroll tiaras more than the emerald tiara. That reminds me of Queen Sonia of Norway's tiara; the one nicknamed the "Star Wars" tiara!

This tiara has beautiful and precise art deco styling and craftsmanship.

However, the dangling diamond seems a bit of a waste. Unless the tiara is worn bandeau-style the diamond simply disappears into the hair. Plus setting a diamond against a background of diamonds doesn't do much to enhance it.

..Tiara unworn: the diamond dangling
Tiara worn: what diamond? (the diamond in camouflage)

Attachments

• The diamond dangling.jpg
    The diamond dangling.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 415
  • A waste of a good diamond.jpg
    A waste of a good diamond.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 398
Those are good side-by-side comparisons of the dangling diamond, Warren. It actually looks transparent in the second photo and seems to disappear into the background. I agree, a waste of a very substantial diamond.

I dont know why...it doesn't make sense but this is one of my all time Favorite tiaras. I just love it, very art deco. I do prefer it worn as a bandeau and I hope all the buzz about the Gatsby movie brings out some of these old ways of wearing jewels.

This tiara has beautiful and precise art deco styling and craftsmanship.

However, the dangling diamond seems a bit of a waste. Unless the tiara is worn bandeau-style the diamond simply disappears into the hair. Plus setting a diamond against a background of diamonds doesn't do much to enhance it.

↓ ..Tiara unworn: the diamond dangling
→ Tiara worn: what diamond? (the diamond in camouflage)

I see the dangling diamond in the picture on the right! It's there -it's just buried in the blonde hair of the lady wearing the tiara. I had to really look at the picture, but it's there.

I agree with you on the idea that the dangling diamond in front of a diamond backdrop is not working well.

Wonderful page about the Luxembourg collection! Thank you for the link!

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Chaumet Emerald Tiara

This is not one of my favorite tiaras but I do like it. That emerald is simply breathtakingly beautiful. Especially that diamond under the emerald. It does kind of remind me of Wonder Woman but I still think the tiara is very unique and interesting.

I know, there are mixed opinions about this tiara ("wonderwoman"), but I consider it a beautiful Art Deco piece. The only issue is, that GD MT seems to find not the right hair style with it. I would like to see it on Stephanie -I tend to think it could work for her with an updo.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor has a tiara in their turquoise poll that is from the Luxembourg collection. I tried to find the grand duchess Maria Theresa thread to post, but if figure that the hereditary grand duchess will wear it soon enough and I can inquire here.

So... Does anyone know about this tiara? If so, it's origins? It's a set with tiara, necklace and earrings.

Like I say, I have never seen this and in this picture the pieces look photo shopped on Maria Theresa.

Help!

hl0l.jpg

The picture is authentic, GD Maria Theresa wore this tiara once in 2008 at a state visit from Finland. In 2010 Princess Tessy wore it at the National Day gala. Nothing else is known about this tiara, afaik.

But I agree that Stéphanie is likely to try this tiara within the next few years. It is great that she tried out so many tiaras so far. But apart from this turquoise tiara, there are several other smaller tiaras in the Luxembourg collection waiting for her: the small floral Diamond tiara, the emerald peacock tiara and the aquamarine bandeau are also likely candidates, imo.

Thanks for that! I love, love the Lux collection! They might have a lot of small tiaras, but, they sure do have some beautiful ones. And, holy amazing... the topaz and amethyst necklaces and earrings! Wow!

I am always surprised when blogs and articles claim that Maria Theresa has worn this tiara frequently. Afaik, she has only worn it three times: 2007 at the 70th birthday for King Harald, 2010 at the 70th birthday of Queen Margrethe and 2012 at the incoming State Visit of Queen Beatrix.
Did I miss other appearances? Three times, and only during the last 6 years, is not so much, imho.

:previous: You're comment made me wonder how many times MT has worn the Luxembourg Empire Tiara. It's been three years since she's worn it, so I am assuming she rarely wears it. I read that she first started wearing the tiara after Josephine-Charlotte's death in 2005. I researched it, and found out she has only worn it four times. Here are the photos:

Pic 2

The Grand Duchess is a very nice person but for wearing her lot of tiaras.
Wearing a huge tiara with long hair is a catastrophe and for the Empire tiara she should have another hairdo. She should have a hairdresser who knows how to wear great tiaras as the Swedish Royal ladies are doing so well.
For the tiara collection (30) I am looking forward HDG Stephanie

:previous: You're comment made me wonder how many times MT has worn the Luxembourg Empire Tiara. It's been three years since she's worn it, so I am assuming she rarely wears it. I read that she first started wearing the tiara after Josephine-Charlotte's death in 2005. I researched it, and found out she has only worn it four times. Here are the photos:

Pic 2
I am not completely sure how many times she has worn the Empire Tiara. But I have never seen pictures from other events than those you posted. Your first pic is composed of the State Visit from Belgium in 2007, the State Visit from the Netherlands in 2006 and an official portrait from around 2011. The second pic with the light blue dress is from Victoria and Daniel’s wedding in 2010.
The situation is similar as with the vine leaves tiara: MT only wore it a few times, and started wearing it after the death of GD Josephine Charlotte.

When Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte was alive , MT wore the Adelaide tiara or the Chaumet tiara (huge emerald) tiaras JC did not wear a lot, preferring hers.

When Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte was alive , MT wore the Adelaide tiara or the Chaumet tiara (huge emerald) tiaras JC did not wear a lot, preferring hers.
MT wore the Chaumet diamond and pearl tiara which can be worn as a choker also a lot since she became Grand Duchess.
Did she wear the wedding gift tiara from the Societe Generale while Josephine Charlotte was alive? Or did she wear it first after her death in 2005?

The Scroil tiara and the Congo tiara were in the cancelled Auction in Paris !
They could have been disappeared for ever.. Thanks to the troubles of people of Luxembourg : "Selling presents even the poorest of the Country should not do that."
Grand Duke Henri had to cancel the Auction and had to pay Sotheby (Prince Philip of Wurtenberg) a huge unknown amount.
Since then MT wears the scroll tiara and the emerald bracelet as necklace.
She never wore the Congo tiara/necklace only the bracelet on her wedding day as her sisters in law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom