Grand Duchess Maria Teresa Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What brosches Does luxembourg have? There is the very Grand brosch seen in post 228 and an other brosch also big she has worn with the empire tiara,
Ther is the Diamond Rose brosch

Last edited:
Did she wear the wedding gift tiara from the Societe Generale while Josephine Charlotte was alive? Or did she wear it first after her death in 2005?

Thy only daughter-in-law of Joséphine-Charlotte who wore the scroll tiara dfuring her life time was the Princess Sibilla.
I think that Maria Teresa only started to wear jewels that had owned by Joséphine-Charlotte after her death in 2005.

You are right Stephan , she was her favorite daughter in law. I never understood why Sybille wore no tiara on her wedding day.
MT wore the scroll tiara only after the Cancelation of the Sotheby's Auction.

Josephine , They have fabulous Broches and the Grand Duchess wore Natan's fake Brooches on Prince Guillaume wedding day!

The Scroil tiara and the Congo tiara were in the cancelled Auction in Paris !
They could have been disappeared for ever.. Thanks to the troubles of people of Luxembourg : "Selling presents even the poorest of the Country should not do that."
Grand Duke Henri had to cancel the Auction and had to pay Sotheby (Prince Philip of Wurtenberg) a huge unknown amount.
Since then MT wears the scroll tiara and the emerald bracelet as necklace.
She never wore the Congo tiara/necklace only the bracelet on her wedding day as her sisters in law.
It is all a bit mysterious to me. They wanted to sell the scroll tiara and the Congo tiara-necklace. And when the auction had to be cancelled, one tiara, the scroll, became one of MT’s most frequently worn tiaras, while the other was never seen again. If MT liked the scroll so much, why did they plan to sell it in the first place? And why would she shun her own wedding tiara?

You are right Stephan , she was her favorite daughter in law. I never understood why Sybille wore no tiara on her wedding day.
MT wore the scroll tiara only after the Cancelation of the Sotheby's Auction.

Another mystery: why did Sibilla not wear a wedding tiara? Her own family owned the aquamarine tiara of Queen Ena, which her mother wore without the coloured stones at her wedding. And the groom’s mother had even more tiara at her disposal. I guess we will never learn if Sibilla just preferred a tiara-less bridal look, or their families thought that she was not Princess enough to deserve a tiara.

It is all a bit mysterious to me. They wanted to sell the scroll tiara and the Congo tiara-necklace. And when the auction had to be cancelled, one tiara, the scroll, became one of MT’s most frequently worn tiaras, while the other was never seen again. If MT liked the scroll so much, why did they plan to sell it in the first place? And why would she shun her own wedding tiara?

Are we sure that she has not worn the congo as necklace? could it not be the one at the State Visit to the Netherlands?
Perhaps the planned sale had to do with the inheritance. Perhaps the siblings did not agree how to split the jewels up among them. Hope they have now put them in the Family Trust/Foundation.

What I don't understand is that Archduchess Marie Astrid's daughter and daughter-in-law wore a loan from Luxembourg is is not said that it belonged to Her.
The same for the wedding of Guillaume, Princesses Marie-Astrid and Margaretha wore jewels of the vault. Is there a Foundation as for the Dutch Royal Ladies ?
For the State Visit for the Netherlands MT wore as necklace the 2 huge row of diamonds worn by Grand Duchess Charlotte before.

What I don't understand is that Archduchess Marie Astrid's daughter and daughter-in-law wore a loan from Luxembourg is is not said that it belonged to Her.
The same for the wedding of Guillaume, Princesses Marie-Astrid and Margaretha wore jewels of the vault. Is there a Foundation as for the Dutch Royal Ladies ?
For the State Visit for the Netherlands MT wore as necklace the 2 huge row of diamonds worn by Grand Duchess Charlotte before.
Perhaps they agreed after the cancelled auction that all jewels would be either owned by the Grand Duke or put in the Foundation and the Princesses and their descendants can use Jewels of it when they have an occasion where they need them.
There is a Family Foundation which i think dates back very long, not sure but i think even to the days when the still reigned the Duchy of Nassau. To it for example also the Empire tiara belong and the Grand Duches Adelaide diamond and Sapphire tiara.

Are we sure that she has not worn the congo as necklace? could it not be the one at the State Visit to the Netherlands?
Perhaps the planned sale had to do with the inheritance. Perhaps the siblings did not agree how to split the jewels up among them. Hope they have now put them in the Family Trust/Foundation.
I’m not sure which event you mean. Do you mean in 2006 when MT wore the empire tiara? That evening the Grand Duchess wore two large diamond rivieres. But I don’t know what she wore at the return banquett. (I must admit that I am so focused on tiaras that I don’t collect pictures of non-tiara events)

Isn’t there some kind of “Hausschmuck” trust which protects some of the older jewels like GD Adelaide’s sapphire tiara and the empire tiara? But I have never heard that the family added newer pieces to it. It seems to me that the family is not concerned about a dispersal of the jewellery.

Prince of Chota in spanish translated to english La negrita = the little black one.
Well her mother in law was an idiot... after all she is not here anymore, life goes on, and the marriage is stronger than never.

Why are your comments pertinent to a thread about MT's jewelry?

Prince of Chota in spanish translated to english La negrita = the little black one. Well her mother in law was an idiot... after all she is not here anymore, life goes on, and the marriage is stronger than never.

I am confused by this post and why it is in this thread.

Last edited:
Unfortunately most of the jewels of JC was sold at later and less known auctions. Only several pieces stay with the family members f.ex. scroll tiara, emerald tiara necklace (made from the jewels of Queen Astrid - source prince Jean of Lux) with Grand Duke Henri and MT, pearl choker with Sybilla, diamond sapphire bracelet/tiara (wedding gift from LeopoldIII) with Margaretha of Liechtenstein.

Hm... on itself the aquamarine jewels worn by the Grand Duchess are nice but probably it will suit someone as Princess Stéphanie more (her daughter-in-law). The Grand Duchess needs more outspoken jewels to match with her eh... Rubens figure, I think.

Those aquamarines are stunning! I would love to see Stephanie wear them.

I'd love to see that set on Stephanie; I agree that they would probably suit her better. Those earrings are utterly divine.

MT has some gorgeous jewels. We havent seen much lately.

Has the Grand Duchess ever worn the floral tiara, that all three of her daughters in law have worn?

I too love her aquamarine set -she does wear or well. Her citrine set is also very nice in my opinion, and she wore it well in the only picture I have seen her wearing it when she was younger. Are there any later pictures (post wearing it in the beginning days of hereditary grand duchess)?

Last edited:
Which tiara do you mean? There is no tiara which was worn by all three daughters-in-law.

There are two floral motiv tiaras in the Luxembourg jewel collection. The larger one, also called vine leafs tiara, was Claire’s wedding tiara, Stephanie’s pre-wedding tiara and never worn by Tessy. If my count is correct, MT wore this tiara three times.

The smaller floral tiara was worn several times by Alexandra, but never by any of the daughters-in-law. MT has worn this tiara since she came into the family and has loaned it also as wedding tiara to AD Marie Christine and Adélaïde Drapé-Frisch.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: Luxembourg's Aquamarine Bandeau Tiara

I find this tiara so stunning. The color of those aquamarines are exquisite. The earrings and necklace are also very beautiful.

The bandeau is lovely. I so do wish M-T put the bandeau of a slightly more upright frame so that it appears a lot more tiara-like - not unlike what Mary of Denmark did with her ruby and diamond tiara. This will allow the aquamarines to be a lot less visible to being hidden in hair, and appear more contemporary.

Its a nice set. Petite tiara but it is ok when worn with whole suite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom