Grand Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte & Luxembourg Jewels of the Past

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess the only ones who are not amused about the withdrawal are the folks at Sotheby´s. Wonder how they handle this and how much expense allowance has to be paid. After all they spared no effort. Sotheby´s even displayed the jewels at the Galerie Charpentier. Laurent who took some pics there and posted them on another board allowed me to post them here as well. So here they are in all their beauty…

credit (and many thanks to): Laurent Doucet de Courtuy

The withdrawal of the jewels from Sothebys must have been an expensive story for the grand ducal house. I work in an auktionshouse here in Copenhagen and if you call back your items right before the auktion you have to pay 20% of the estimated price... It's quite expensive to arrange the previews and making the catalogue and of course pay the experts who have spend lot of time making the lot descritions...

Wow, thanks for the answer.
20% is quite heavy. I actually thought it would range somewhere around 10% and I would have guessed Sotheby’s is insured against cancellation. 20% would mean they had to pay at least 200.000 euros.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I started reading this thread, I thought the selling of JC jewels was a travesty! It has been said that you don't know your family until you try to divide an estate with them (and I've found this to be true). Everyone has been putting the blame on MT and her sisters-in-law for petty behavior, etc., but how about putting the blame on JC? Why did she not specify what jewels should go to which children, what jewels should be left to "the crown", etc.? They only way to know that your property is going to be divided according to your wishes is to leave a will. And if she didn't like MT, and didn't want her or her descendants to wear the jewels, then she should have specified who got what before her death (or given the jewelry to them prior to her death). I'm glad they're not selling, and I hope the family can resolve this in a fair manner.

Wow! Thanks johann, those are spectacular jewels. I loved the first picture, that tiara made me melt :) and the sapphire bracelet!

This Royal Lady, seems to have had an understated style.

Bracelet/ tiara:
Pic

Diamond tiara that she received as wedding gift:
pic

in post 7 there is a tiara i have not seen MT wear, can someone tell me about it what is it called'?

A couple of days ago I came across this photo of the late Grand Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte at the gala dinner for Prince Henrik of Denmark's 6oth birthday. What stuck me in the photo is the tiara HRH's wearing. Has anybody else worn it, apart from GDss Joséphine-Charlotte, GDss Maria Teresa and Princess argaretha?
Here's the photo: Link

Bobby

Last edited:
I have never seen any of the current lux ladies wearing that necklace but the necklace its self looks very very familiar. Hopefully someone else will be able to recognize it.

:previous:
As the photographs are not subject to copyright they can be posted directly to the Forums.

Grand Duchess Charlotte, 1919

Images courtesy of gogmsite.net

Attachments

• GD Charlotte 1919.jpg
    GD Charlotte 1919.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 1,226
  • GD Charlotte, 1919.jpg
    GD Charlotte, 1919.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 1,403
I think the Grand Duchess MT wore it in 2004(wedding of Crown Prince Frederic) as tiara with a wonderful pink gala dress.

At the church she wore beige dress with lace and applications and aquamarine parure
zimbio

evening before she indeed wore pink gown with diamond necklace (her wedding tiara?) and diamond tiara with pearl spikes(could be also worn as a choker)
corbis

The second pic is not from the evening before CP Frederik's Wedding it's from the Wedding of CP Haakon in 2001.

As the photographs are not subject to copyright they can be posted directly to the Forums.

Grand Duchess Charlotte, 1919

Images courtesy of gogmsite.net

Can this necklace still be in the family

I agree with everyone who believes this is petty and I also believe this is a completely selfish action. When it become clear to them that they weren't going to agree on who got what and decided to sell in off to the highest bidder, they should have given anything that once belonged to Queen Astrid to King Albert free of charge. :bang:

As her only child left alive , you would think. Not to mention that he was the one with the "least" memory of his mother!

I've recently been updating my post on the Luxembourg Grand Ducal Family. I've seen pictures of Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte wearing fourteen different tiaras.

Aquamarine Tiara
Belgium Scroll Tiara
Citrine & Pearl Tiara
Congo Diamond Necklace Tiara
Danish Wedding Mystery Tiara
Diamond Floral Tiara
Emerald Art Deco Tiara
Emerald Peacock Necklace Tiara
Luxembourg Empire Tiara
Pearl & Diamond Choker Tiara
Sapphire & Diamond Tiara
Sapphire Art Deco Tiara
Sapphire Bracelet Tiara
Sapphire Necklace Tiara

In what year was the Aquamarine Bandeau Tiara given to Josephine-Charlotte?

I lived in Luxembourg during the State Visit of her Majesty Queen Elisabeth II and saw Both Royals this Evening at an Event in Luxembourg's theater. I will never forget the Glitter of Queen Elisabeth grand tiara and jewels. It was in the seventies.

Congo Necklace and Bracelet were gifts from Congo to Princess Josephine Charlotte of the Belgians.

Back
Top Bottom