Grand Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte & Luxembourg Jewels of the Past

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The family seem to have behaved like spoiled children. Because of their individual greed no one now gets anything (or very little once all this lot has been sold). The future Grand Duchess would have had a fine collection but now it's going to be meagre and I don't know what Henri's other future daughters in law not to mention Alexandra will wear in the future when the occasion demands it. I think that's what annoys me most, that most of the present females are older now anyway and they havn't given a thought to the future generation. Lets face it, looking the part is a big part of being Royal and not having impressive looking "props" takes a lot of the glory away somehow.

Last edited:
johann said:
I just read Sotheby’s press statement. Holy cow, this is worse than expected. The Nassau’s are for sure not sentimental.
I agree with you Warren. There would have been some other options to come to an amicable solution. Quite strange that they choose this one and even more strange that Grand Duke Jean gave his allowance.
As for the wealth of the Sachsen-Coburg´s in particular or the wealth of royal families in general – as long as there are no affirmed record its just speculation. So hope dies last – and I’m still hoping that King Albert buys at least one of his sister’s tiaras.

And as a side note: There are many negative comments floating around concerning Josephine Charlotte’s personality and I doubt if they do justice to her. She surely had many positive attributes and her strong affection towards her siblings was one of them.

Though this is probably not the thread for it, I completely agree with you Johann! To be honest the first negative story I heard about her was only AFTER the outburst of Maria-Theresa. And after that all of a sudden she was a woman who was only ´respected´ by the people of Luxembourg, cold, proud etc. I found this all very weird (and instead of supporting her son Henri to marry the woman he wanted all of a sudden it was claimed she disapproved of the marriage). To me she seemed nice and shy woman who was terribly fond of her relatives, good causes etc. I have heard stories on another board that she could be rather difficult at times, especially to her children in-law, ALL of them.

Anyway, the old Grand Duke probably approved of this to, and if he approves then there must be difficulties that we are unaware of, which will be solved by this sale. The Nassau´s still have a huge collection left, also with some of JC´s jewels (a tiara bought by her husband for example). But especially sad that they also sell the jewels of Queen Astrid, by now most of her jewels disappearewd from rouyal hands to ... who knows?

I don't understand this sale. Will it be any easier to distribute the cash proceeds of the sale than it was for the jewels? The wedding tiara!!!! Somebody is robbing poor Alexandra of her heritage. Come on, European royals, step up! Don't let these things vanish into relative obscurity.

Just a thought. If any of the European families bought these jewels it would be proper as they are all somehow related. How would the TRF members feel about them going to families that have no relation to the Nassaus? (Japan or Jordan, for example). They would still be trotted out for the beautiful functions.

Marengo said:
Though this is probably not the thread for it, I completely agree with you Johann! To be honest the first negative story I heard about her was only AFTER the outburst of Maria-Theresa. And after that all of a sudden she was a woman who was only ´respected´ by the people of Luxembourg, cold, proud etc. I found this all very weird (and instead of supporting her son Henri to marry the woman he wanted all of a sudden it was claimed she disapproved of the marriage). To me she seemed nice and shy woman who was terribly fond of her relatives, good causes etc. I have heard stories on another board that she could be rather difficult at times, especially to her children in-law, ALL of them.
D´accord. These “my evil mother-in-law treated me bad” stories garnished with some tears always guaranty sympathy. Surely it wasn’t always that easy with her, but there are also some quotes by Princes Astrid of Belgium. She characterized her aunt as “reserved but philanthropic, courageous and humorous” and she thanked her wholeheartedly for all the love she gave to her siblings.
But back on topic: VTM (a Belgian broadcaster) reports on this sale out in the evening news. (click here and go to Vrijdag 15/09 19u, the clip starts at about 27min running time). Nothing new, but nice to see.

This is just godawful. I can not understand this is happening. I know Margaretha, Marie-Astrid and Guillaume were very close to their mother, I'm sure they're not exactly happy about this either.

I can only wish some of this will go back to the Belgian RF, where it came from and who have so little left. But I know the chance is very very small - otherwise this would have happened behind closed doors and now prizes will be exorbitant.

I very much regret to see queen Astrid's jewels go, the ones she left to her only daughter Joséphine-Charlotte and that must have ment so much to her. Also the bracelet with the blue stone she received upon her wedding from the Belgian aristocracy, the wedding tiara donated by the Congo, the beautiful flower brooches Leopold III gave JC as a wedding present...

Even for me, a complete outsider, this is difficult to watch and IMO it's just the epitome of bad taste.

My favourie piece is the diamond and emerald bracelet. What an absolute loss :sad: That exquisite creation is so, so stunning!

Thanks for the link Johann. The television news claimed that the children were fighting about the inheritance and could not come to on agreement about the devision of these jewels. I read somewhere else that the daughters of JC didn´t want to see these personal jewels of their mother on Maria-Theresa. All very disturbing and one hoped they would have more class & chose to preserve the heritage over, what I think, are petty greviences (though I understand why Marie-Astrid and Marguerite wouldn´t want Marie-Theresa to wear their mothers most personal jewels).
According to the news the jewels included gifts from the Belgian, Danish, Swedish and Norwegian RF.

Jewels

Still I agree with the masses that its pretty petty.

Yes the Josephine was your mother but she is no longer here and Maria Theresa is the wife of your brother. I am sure the sons will end up buying some of the jewels..but it is a shame.

I need to check out some of other threads..what on earth did Maria Theresa do that was so bloody awful?!

J-C hated MT because she wasnt royal and she was from Cuba. I remember on one interview, when MT cried and she told that J-C called her "little Cuban" or "la negrita"- she made her life misery. after this I heard, that J-C never allowed MT to wear her personal jewelry.
But why M-A and Margaretha dislike Maria Teresa too? Now these jewels will leave LRF and that will be big pitty and shame.

Sad

Well...again..thats just pretty sad and short sighted of the late JC IMO. And is a reflection on her more than MT. Obviously her son loved MT, she had five beautiful, well mannered children who appeared to turn out okay. I can understand selling some of the jewels because even though WE love to see them...they can't wear them everyday and its not justice if they are just sitting in a vault.

But to sell your mother's tiara cause you don't like your daughter in law. That's pretty petty. She could have just willed some of the pieces to her grandchildern. Hopefully Albert of Beligium will purchase it for his grandchildren! Wouldn't it be great to see Elisabeth getting married with the same tiara as her great grandmother?

I think it is important to remember we have only heared Maria Theresas side of the relationship with her mother in law. It was she who called the "cry me a river" meeting with the luxembourg press. Josephine Charlotte never commented on this story.

But I do agree selling the weddingtiara and gifts from you father to your mother because you cant agree who should have what, is pretty low. I also find it difficult to belive the story about the jewellery not beeing to their taste, looking how beautiful some of the pieces are. But I suppose family peace is worth more than diamonds.

I doubt King Albert will buy anything of what is for sale, then he would have to pay the rather hefty Sotheby comission as well, we can only hope he might have bought something before they put this lot out for sale and that the Luxembourg siblings were courteous enough to give him that possibility, but from the looks of it, who knows:sad: .

Larzen said:
I think it is important to remember we have only heared Maria Theresas side of the relationship with her mother in law. It was she who called the "cry me a river" meeting with the luxembourg press. Josephine Charlotte never commented on this story.

I agree. I have little sympathy left for Maria Teresa since that outburst, a childish an hysterical thing it was. And indeed only one side of the story.

The story of the sale actually gives credence to the outburst by MT.

Maria Theresa the victim of her mother-in-law? Her teary lamentation for sure was disgusting. And if Josephine Charlotte really believed that Maria Theresa didn’t fit for the role of a grand duchess – than MT finally gave a proof on this with her memorable “press meeting”. What’s more - at that time Josephine Charlotte already was seriously ill. And MT had nothing better in mind than damaging Josephine Charlotte’s reputation. Come on, these things belong behind closed doors.
BTW I still doubt it, that they sell the jewels to prevent MT to wear them. But if it’s true, than it’s a shame that MT didn’t indulge and step back.

rani said:
The story of the sale actually gives credence to the outburst by MT.
I would not want the woman who publically trashed my old and very sick mother in public to wear her most personal jewels and gifts. Around Europes royal press Josephine Charlotte was portrayed as the evil mother in law making life terrible for her innocent daughter in law. Im suprised noone from the family spoke out against that slander of their mother, but it does show clas to keep their personal feelings where it belongs, in private.

Couldn't they just agree that MT will not wear them. As a mother, I think she would agree to hold them for Alexandra. She has plenty of "crown" jewels to wear herself.

Whilst searching for some further information’s, I stumbled across this article from one of Luxembourg’s leading newspapers called “D´Wort”, subtitle “Luxembourg’s word (=voice) for truth and justice”. It’s a very conservative view on this affair and the author is obviously not amused. And he remains true to his principles and avoids any speculations about the reasons for the sale.
Since the article is in German I made a rough translation to share it.

And this is what the newspaper reports (source: Wort.lu):

Grand Ducal jewellery at Sotheby’s
From the estate of Grand Duchesse Josephine Charlotte
From this Friday to next Friday, the 22nd, Sotheby’s Galerie Charpentier in Paris displays jewellery and objects of value inherited by the late Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte. The auction is fixed for Friday, December 19th.
The administration of an estate belongs to the most private affairs of a family and it doesn’t befit to make this kind of occurrences public. Particularly not, if this concerns the grand ducal family and the jewellery of the so much adored late Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte.

150 pieces of jewellery and 50 objects of value
On the other hand we are aware of the large interest that all concerns of the grand ducal family attract. And we thus have to fulfil our duty of information – even if this is eventually free promotion for the sale.
The world-famous auction house Sotheby’s in Paris confirmed on our inquiry the sale of 150 pieces of jewellery and other objects of value from the estate of the late Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte on December 19th in Paris.

Personal property of the grand ducal family
As said before, this is about a private auction - the property of the Grand Ducal court is not involved, as has been confirmed by the press service of the Grand Marshal. Amongst the offered jewels are many precious artefacts as for example the emerald and diamond bracelet that Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte’s mother was bestowed with on the occasion of her daughter’s birth by her mother [sic] Queen Elisabeth.
The most highly revered items are surely the two diamond tiaras, both worn by Princess Josephine Charlotte on her wedding day with Prince Jean on 9th of April 1953. Furthermore amongst the family jewellery: the ruby and diamond brooch together with the matching earrings, which were a wedding gift to Josephine Charlotte from her father King Leopold III.
Also there are historical objects of value, such as a silver gilt box by Tiffany’s, a present given by John F Kennedy during a visit in the United States. Among the oldest pieces is a small agate tazza, made by Esaias zur Linden, Nuremberg circa 1620. Other objects of value originate from the private property of King Leopold III and Queen Astrid, e.g. several small silver boxes or silver-gilt enamelled tea-spoons.

Last edited:
BTW what I’m not able to understand. Why do the even sell out the fan collection (with cyphers of Queen Elisabeth of Belgium; Princess Ingeborg of Sweden, mother of Queen Astrid; Maria Theresa, Infante of Portugal; and Princess Josephine, Princess of Belgium)?
The BElvue Museum in Brussels would have been delighted to own them!

[source: Sotheby´s]

kimebear said:
Couldn't they just agree that MT will not wear them. As a mother, I think she would agree to hold them for Alexandra. She has plenty of "crown" jewels to wear herself.

I certainly have a much bigger problem with the sale of the jewels than the supposed slander of Josephine-Charlotte.

Apart from these jewels and the fans they are even selling a signed guestbook (on the occassion of the 40th birthday of Queen Victoria of Swewden). Very strange.

And since this is about jewels: Here are some impressions of Josephine Charlotte´s much discussed jewels which soon will be worn by some newly rich girls. (Pics and description: Sotheby´s, I saved them before they disappear as well)

1. 2. 3. 4.

1. Tiara by Henry Coosemans, 1953, of arched and tapered form with stylised crescent, palmette and scroll motifs has a detachable diamond of 8.10 carats to be worn as a ring, and a central panel to be worn as a brooch (estimate: €80,000 to 140,000). Further informations can be found here.
2. Tiara by Van Cleef & Arpels, which can also be worn as a bracelet and a necklace (estimate: €180,000 to 240,000).
3. Emerald and diamond bandeau-bracelet, circa 1920, offered to her mother, the legendary Queen Astrid, by her grandmother Queen Elisabeth on the occasion of her birth on 11th October 1927 (estimate: €15, 000 to 25,000)
4. A pair of earclips and a matching brooch, all by Van Cleef & Arpels, given to Princess Josephine-Charlotte as a wedding gift by her father King Leopold III (estimates: €15,000 to 25,000 for the earrings, and €12,000 to 18,000 for the brooch)

Ugh, this just seems like such a shame. Part of royalty is the preservation of history, and the historical jewels play a huge part of it. Like Larzen said, it almost makes me feel sick to think that some socialite is going to be parading around in a historical tiara. Such a shame that these ladies couldn't put aside their differences in the name of preserving history.

i dont really get the whole story here? whats going on? why are they selling the JC's jewellry? she didnt write a will ??? i am confused? so if they sell out JC's jewellry, then the proceeds go to who? will M-T still have jewels to wear??? *confused*

I really hope that the Belgian royals will buy at least the emerald & diamond bracelet-tiara..... so much history .... so much Queen Astrid.

I hope they buy the emerald bracelet too, I hate to see something worn by such an elegant and well loved queen worn by someone outside her family and God forbid some Hollywood star shows up wearing it at the Oscars or something. Yikes!

I agree with everyone who believes this is petty and I also believe this is a completely selfish action. When it become clear to them that they weren't going to agree on who got what and decided to sell in off to the highest bidder, they should have given anything that once belonged to Queen Astrid to King Albert free of charge. :bang:

Aren't they embarassed to be selling off their heirlooms? We know they'll be bought by Arab Sheiks and Asian trillionaires, it's not like they're going to other royal houses!

Where did this information come from in the first place? are we sure it's true? I'm finding it really hard to believe- She owned a LOT of jewelry, and they are really historic pieces. The bit about the fighting seems a bit untrue too, since there are so many pictures of all the women in the family wearing the pieces at different times, which would not have been the case of the Grand Duchess was protective of her jewels.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom