The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-15-2020, 07:49 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I think you are correct Tilia. On this photo of the wedding of ADss Anna Eugenie you can see the pattern a bit more clearly.

The tiara may indeed be needing some cleaning, as often is the case when they are not used on a regular basis.

As for why it was not used for the children of ADss Anna Eugenie: we can only guess. But in the 80/early 90-ties it was less easy to travel within Europe with valuable goods, as there could be issues at the borders of countries that were not part of Schengen. IIRC something of the sort happened when AD Karl brought a tiara to Austria for his fiancée to wear. The tiara may also have been stored in Mexico, where AD Felix and ADss Anna Eugenie lived, which would make it more difficult and expensive to bring the tiara to a wedding in Europe.

Old 10-15-2020, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

Your picture is much better! I'm now absolutely convinced that the tiara is the same. And your explanation about traveling with a valuable tiara being difficult sounds plausible. Also, wearing a wedding tiara was not as fashionable in the 80s and 90s as it is nowadays.

I also think that it might be an Arenberg heirloom. AD Otto and Regina didn't have many jewels left to leave to her children, and I have never seen a similar tiara on another Habsburg lady. On the other hand, I have never seen a picture of another Arenberg lady with it, so this is just a speculation.

Btw, I sometimes thought that AD Kathleen didn't wear a tiara because she was getting married in the US.

Old 10-15-2020, 09:21 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C.
Btw, I sometimes thought that AD Kathleen didn't wear a tiara because she was getting married in the US.
I always assumed that that was the reason indeed. To transport a tiara from Europe to the US the costs of a secure transport & insurance will be substantial. I didn't think that it was some sort of signal about the feelings of AD CC and Pss Marie-Astrid towards their daughter-in-law, as some suggested at the time.

It *could* be an Arenberg or Wrede heirloom. ADss Anna Eugenie only had one sister, the grandmother of Karl Theodor zu Guttenberg.
I can not find much information about the other ladies in the Guttenberg family but KT's wife Stephanie von Bismarck wore a different tiara for her wedding.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Here is the only tiara pic that I have of Rosa Sophie von Guttenberg, Princesse d'Arenberg. The event was the wedding of Freiherr Enoch von Guttenberg & with Countess Christiane von und zu Eltz.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

And here is the bride. Unfortunately, the watermark is right across her head, but I think that she is wearing the von Eltz star tiara.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
Old 10-15-2020, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
So far, I have seen wedding pics of only three of the seven children of AD Felix and AD Anna Eugenie and none of them wore a tiara. So, it’s a bit of a mystery why this tiara was unseen for so long.

What is strange is that both of Kinga's sisters die not wear the tiara for their Weddings. Don't know if here are public pics of their weddings but i have seen a few of both Weddings as someone i know was at both of them.

Old 10-15-2020, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

I don't think that there are any public pictures of those weddings. And it surprises me, that Kinga's sisters didn't wear the tiara. Maybe, she was the only one who liked it enough to wear it? Imo, the tiara is quite nice, but taste differs, so...
Old 10-15-2020, 01:15 PM
Royal Highness

Well, I see you have solved the mystery :)

I agree with you. It looks like the same tiara, shape wise too.

THANK YOU!!!
Old 10-16-2020, 02:24 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
The Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg Diamond Spike Tiara | The Court Jeweller

I dislike this tiara. I don’t like the design and I find it kind of cheap looking.
I think that this link needs to be updated.

https://i.ibb.co/KbSJh8S/1998b.jpg

As we have seen, this tiara was previously worn by Princess Katharina zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Hohenstein, née Countess von Podewils-Dürniz and probably belong to this line of the family.

I think this information should be included into the link.

Thnx.

Tags
austrian, german, jewellery