Empress Farah Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sol_anglada said:
Well, this is wht I readand of course must believe. Appart from that in some interviews the Shahbanou has said that she expressely didn't bring any jewel with her when she left Iran.
Sol
Yes, that is what I understand as well. The Empress had to leave it the parure in Iran.

My friend once visited the place where ex Iranian empire jewellery has been stored; she told me that there is a marvellous globe made from precious stones among the crowns. I searched many website but unfortunately I couldn't find it. This globe has said belongs to Iranian emperor. I know this thread about Farah Diba's jewellery, but I hope somebody could help me to find the link I need .

Last edited:
galuhcandrakirana said:
My friend once visited the place where ex Iranian empire jewellery has been stored; she told me that there is a marvellous globe made from precious stones among the crowns. I searched many website but unfortunately I couldn't find it. This globe has said belongs to Iranian emperor. I know this thread about Farah Diba's jewellery, but I hope somebody could help me to find the link I need .
Hi galuhcandrakirana, I find these tiara from http://www.iranchamber.com/museum/royal_jewels/national_iranian_jewels01.php
They are wonderful but I don't know if what you are looking for.

k.gif
iani Crown
The Kiani Crown was used during the Qajar dynasty. Reza Shah, the founder of the Pahlavi dynasty, had his own crown designed but the Kiani crown was present during his coronation.

The crown itself is made of red velvet which has thousands of gems set onto it. Fathali Shah is often shown in paintings wearing a similar crown - it is not known whether there were a number of crowns in use at the time which looked similar, or whether the artists simply portrayed the same crown in different ways.

The Kiani crown has about 1800 pearls sown onto it, each from 7 to 9 mm. in diameter. There are approximately 300 emeralds set on the crown, the largest of which is about 80 cts. There are also about 1800 rubies and spinels on the crown, the largest of which is 120 cts. The largest diamond is 23 cts.

The total height of the crown is 32 cm. without the aigrette, and the total width is 19.5 cm.

t.gif
he Pahlavi Crown
This crown was used by Reza Shah, the founder of the Pahlavi dynasty, in his coronation on 25 April 1926. His son, Mohammad Reza Shah Pahlavi, the last Shah of Iran, also used the crown in his coronation on 26 Oct. 1967.

The crown was designed and built by a group of Iranian jewellers, under the supervision of Haj Serajeddin, the famous jeweller who had been in the employ of the Amir of Bokhara and had later emigrated from the Soviet Union to Iran. The stones were selected from loose stones in the treasury.

The crown made of red velvet, gold, and silver. It has a total height of 29.8 cm. and has a width of 19.8 cm. It weighs 2,080 grams. The are 3,380 diamonds employed on the crown, totalling 1,144 cts. The largest is a brilliant-cut yellow diamond of 60 cts. which is located in the center of the front jewel sunburst. There are also 369 perfectly-matching natural pearls in three rows on the crown. Of the 5 emeralds, totalling 200 cts., the largest is approximately 100 cts. The largest sapphire is 20 cts.

The design of the crown incorporates a motif of the Sassanid dynasty, which ruled over the Persian Empire from the 3rd through the 7th centuries AD.

Attachments

• 04_kiani_crown.jpg
    04_kiani_crown.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 432
  • 03_pahlavi_crown.jpg
    03_pahlavi_crown.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 650
Last edited:
From
http://www.iranchamber.com/museum/royal_jewels/national_iranian_jewels07.php

The Empress's Crown
Once Muhammad Reza Shah placed the Pahlavi crown on his own head during his coronation ceremony in 1967, he placed this crown on the head of his wife, the Empress Farah. Until that date, the wives of Persian monarchs were not crowned, and so it became necessary to design a new crown for the occasion. That honor was bestowed on the French jewellers, Van Cleef & Arpel.

In accordance with tradition, the gems used in this crown were selected from loose gems in the treasury. The crown is made of green velvet, and white gold. It has more than 38 emeralds, 105 pearls, 34 rubies, 2 spinels, and 1,469 diamonds. The total weight of the crown is 1,481 grams. The largest emerald is located in the center of the sunburst on the front of the crown, and weighs approximately 91.32 cts. The two largest spinels are approximately 83 cts., and the largest pearl is approximately 22 mm. long.

Attachments

• 13_empress_crown.jpg
    13_empress_crown.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,121
Last edited:
Marvellous

This are very marvelloous crowns !!! However, I want to remember that their didin't belong to the Shah and the Shahbanou but at people of Iran.

sol_anglada said:
This are very marvelloous crowns !!! However, I want to remember that their didin't belong to the Shah and the Shahbanou but at people of Iran.
Yes, they are very marvelloous crowns, I like very much their shapes. They are well done by a great artist.

abir said:
Hi galuhcandrakirana, I find these tiara from http://www.iranchamber.com/museum/royal_jewels/national_iranian_jewels01.php
They are wonderful but I don't know if what you are looking for.
Hi abir, thanks very muchfor the link, yes I found what I wanted to see here. It is a jewel studded globe, I could imagine that the real globe should be extremely marvelouse...I hope one day I could see the real one:)

Here the detil:Jewel-Studded Globe
The most magnificent globe in existence, it has a total height of 110 cm. and a diameter of 45 cm. and is covered with over 51 thousand gemstones. The seas and oceans are shown with emeralds. Land masses are mostly displayed in rubies and spinels. Iran, Britain, France, and parts of South Asia are shown in diamonds. The base is constructed of wood, covered with a layer of gold. Approximately 35 kilograms of pure gold is used in the globe.
According to legend, Nasseridin Shah (1848-1896) ordered the construction of the globe to help keep track of the loose gemstones in the treasury.
The largest ruby used in the globe is approximately 75 ct. The largest spinel is approximately 110 cts. The largest emerald is approximately 175 cts., the largest sapphire is approximately 34 cts, and the largest diamond is approximately 15 cts.

These are some of the most breath-taking royal jewels ever. :D The workmanship and sheer size and quality of the gems make them supreme examples of the art of jewelry. Very nice pictures!

Jackswife said:
These are some of the most breath-taking royal jewels ever. :D The workmanship and sheer size and quality of the gems make them supreme examples of the art of jewelry. Very nice pictures!
And its a pitty that the greatest Queen of history (from my humble point of view) now can't wear them,so we can't see usually them eather.

Sol

galuhcandrakirana said:
Hi abir, thanks very muchfor the link, yes I found what I wanted to see here. It is a jewel studded globe, I could imagine that the real globe should be extremely marvelouse...I hope one day I could see the real one:)

Here the detil:Jewel-Studded Globe
The most magnificent globe in existence, it has a total height of 110 cm. and a diameter of 45 cm. and is covered with over 51 thousand gemstones. The seas and oceans are shown with emeralds. Land masses are mostly displayed in rubies and spinels. Iran, Britain, France, and parts of South Asia are shown in diamonds. The base is constructed of wood, covered with a layer of gold. Approximately 35 kilograms of pure gold is used in the globe.
According to legend, Nasseridin Shah (1848-1896) ordered the construction of the globe to help keep track of the loose gemstones in the treasury.
The largest ruby used in the globe is approximately 75 ct. The largest spinel is approximately 110 cts. The largest emerald is approximately 175 cts., the largest sapphire is approximately 34 cts, and the largest diamond is approximately 15 cts.
You are welcome galuhcandrakirana.

sol_anglada said:
And its a pitty that the greatest Queen of history (from my humble point of view) now can't wear them,so we can't see usually them eather.

Sol
I thought the same when I knew that Farah Diba couldn't take with her the jeweleries. I think outisde of Iran, Soraya had with her shah' jeweleries gifts more than Farah Diba.

Last edited:
Empress Farah

abir said:
I thought the same when I knew that Farah Diba couldn't take with her the jeweleries. I think outisde of Iran, Soraya had with her shah' jeweleries gifts more than Farah Diba.
It's curious, I had the same feelings than you ...

Sol

she has said that she felt that if they weren't going to return to iran, then she would no longer have any need for a tiara or any of her other jewels, which is why she never took any of the major pieces - to the knowledge of the general public. but who knows...

msfroyste said:
she has said that she felt that if they weren't going to return to iran, then she would no longer have any need for a tiara or any of her other jewels, which is why she never took any of the major pieces - to the knowledge of the general public. but who knows...
I think the Pahlavi family' treasures (palaces, lands, etc) in Iran was very valuable, and being in their country counts a lot than jeweleries, even the jeweleries could be taken easily than lands-palaces, ... I don't know details how they left Iran and if they couldn't bring with them all what they had, but I guess at that time, it was more important for them to leave the country safe than with jeweleries.

Exile

abir said:
I think the Pahlavi family' treasures (palaces, lands, etc) in Iran was very valuable, and being in their country counts a lot than jeweleries, even the jeweleries could be taken easily than lands-palaces, ... I don't know details how they left Iran and if they couldn't bring with them all what they had, but I guess at that time, it was more important for them to leave the country safe than with jeweleries.
Many times I have read that the left of Iran was so quickly that the royal couple hardly had enough time to get with them what they could wear, and clearly they didn't took jewels, money and things that they had as king and queen of Iran when they ruled their country.

Farah Diba jewels:

this´s a recent pic of Empress January 23, 2005

Attachments

• k109014_01.jpg
    k109014_01.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 819
Recent pictures of Farah Diba, during: Steiger Award, 2005-01-24 from fotomarktplatz.de

Attachments

• farah-1.jpg
    farah-1.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 652
  • farah-2.jpg
    farah-2.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 442
  • farah-3.jpg
    farah-3.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 632
  • farah-4.jpg
    farah-4.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 1,991
  • farah-6.jpg
    farah-6.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 522

Attachments

• farah-diba-3.jpg
    farah-diba-3.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 2,841
  • 26-10-1967.jpg
    26-10-1967.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 678
  • farah-shah-1.jpg
    farah-shah-1.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 753
  • farah-diba-3.jpg
    farah-diba-3.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 1,740
  • farah-diba-2.jpg
    farah-diba-2.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 9,548
I have just uploaded some photos from the Teheran Coronation and The Celbration in Persepolis in the 'Iranian Crown Jewels' thread and decided to share some of those here. Empress Farah looked truly magnificent. Enjoy.

Credits for below posted images: http://www.angelfire.com/empire/imperialiran/index.html - The Coronation in Teheran​

The Coronation in Teheran

Because the Imperial Jewels could not leave Iran, the construction of the Empress of Iran’s Crown had to take place in Teheran, although a replica was made for display in the Place Vendôme, the headquarters of Van Cleef & Arpels in Paris. It took Pierre Arpels over 20 trips and 6 months between Paris and Teheran before the completion of his illustrious job. Other jewels created for the Empress of Iran included her earrings and a magnificent diamond, emerald and pearl necklace.
The Treasure of Iran had been accumulated for centuries and many of the jewels from the various dynasties were kept, creating the most incredible ensemble. After the revolution of 1979, the Imperial Family left all the jewels, which belonged to the State, behind and they are kept in the National Bank in Teheran, where they can be visited.

This rather unique crown is the one worn by the Shahbanou of Iran on the 26th October 1967, thus the Empress of Iran’s Crown. Weighting only 1.950 kg, the crown is admirable for its elegance and oriental aspect, mingled with modernity. The crown includes 1545 stones mounted in white gold: 36 rubies, 36 emeralds, 105 pearls and 1469 diamonds, all selected from the loose gems of the treasure. The largest emerald is to be seen in the centre of the biggest sunburst, in the front of the crown.

The attire of the Empress of Iran, one of the most elegant women of the world, during the Coronation of Teheran had been a subject of speculation for weeks. The revelation came as Her Imperial Majesty entered the Grand Hall of the Golestan Palace of Teheran. Then it was possible to admire her admirably grand dress in all its magnificence. Designed by Marc Bohan, designer of Christian Dior in Paris, the white dress was woven and cut in Iran by Iranian women. It had very small and discreet embroideries of brilliants and it had an impressive train of five meters.
The magnificent white dress contrasted sharply with the colours of the ceremony and gave the Empress a unique serenity. Never had a queen worn such a simultaneously simple and magnificent dress at a coronation. Over it, the Shahbanou of Iran wore a simple cornflower blue sash (with two long golden tassels at the end) from which hung the badge. It was the Nishan-i-Aryamehr, or the Order of the Light of the Aryans, created by the Shah exactly one month before, on the 26th September 1967, in honour of his wife. The Empress wore the star of this order, of which she received the First Class, reserved for female sovereigns or consorts. A second class was reserved for the princesses, who wore it at the Coronation.

Just before her coronation, a magnificent Imperial Robe was placed above Empress Farah’s shoulders. Perhaps the most amazing robe ever to be made, the green velvet cloth was a superb masterpiece, also designed by Marc Boham from Dior but again woven, cut and finalized in Iran, by Iranians. That colour was chosen because green is the colour of the descendants of the Prophet. The gold embroidery in the green velvet, though, gave it the most extraordinary look. But it was not only gold, since the whole length of the train (longer than the train of the white dress) was embroidered with diamonds, rubies and emeralds. The back of the robe was especially magnificent, with the Pahlavi arms embroidered in gold surrounded by a profusion of gold embroideries with alternating rubies and emeralds. The whole robe and train were bordered with vison. Although tremendously magnificent, the Empress’ robe had the very unique characteristic of being extremely different from all the robes ever seen, ever made, or ever imagined. It could not be compared to the British Coronation robes, it could not be compared with the French Coronation robes, it could not be compared with the Austrian Coronation robes: it was, quite simply, uniquely beautiful and different.

Attachments

• farah.jpg
    farah.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 2,758
  • farahrobe.jpg
    farahrobe.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 1,627
  • farahcrown.jpg
    farahcrown.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 590
Last edited:
The Coronation in Teheran

Around her neck, the Empress wore the most splendid diamond and emerald necklace and matching earrings, from the Crown Jewels, ordered at Van Cleef & Arpels for the Coronation, along with the Empress’ Crown but made essentially in Teheran by Pierre Arpels. The necklace, mounted in platinum and gold, is composed by an enormous engraved hexagonal emerald, mounted in pendant and surrounded by diamonds of old cut, of four big square emeralds and five smaller ones, (all surrounded by diamonds), four hanging pear pearls and eleven yellow diamonds of very good size. Her Imperial Majesty wore no tiara and had her hair done to match the exact size of the Empress of Iran’s Crown.

Attachments

• 307358.jpeg
    307358.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 656
  • untitled11.JPG
    untitled11.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 683
  • farahnecklace.jpg
    farahnecklace.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 2,491
Last edited:
The evening of The Coronation Day in Teheran

The Empress wears an unidentified diamond tiara with small diamond spikes.

A beautiful demi-parure created by Van Cleef & Arpels for HIM The Shahbanou of Iran, which she wore on the evening of Coronation Day. The outstanding necklace consists of seven square yellow diamonds surrounded by old-cut diamonds from which hang seven pear shaped diamonds. Below you can see the matching earrings.

Attachments

• yellow2.jpg
    yellow2.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 2,844
  • yellow.jpg
    yellow.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 2,183
  • yellow1.jpg
    yellow1.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 3,475
Pasargadae - 12th October

1. Pasargadae, two days before. On the 12th October, for the opening of the celebrations of the 2500th anniversary of the Empire, Empress Farah had impressed everyone for her impeccable choice of outfit, inspired as it was by the ancient dresses of the wives of Persian monarchs. Her dress, designed, woven and cut in Iran, was of white silk embroidered in gold and silver with several motifs. The small coat was especially rich in its embroidery, as was the lower part of the skirt. Her Majesty wore the blue sash of the Order of the Light of the Aryans.

2. Alexandre de Paris, was responsible for dressing the Empress’ hair and displaying what was said to be Her Majesty’s favourite tiara, the Seven Emeralds Tiara, also made for her by Harry Winston on the occasion of her wedding to the Shah of Iran. The lower band contains diamonds which are shaped like a heart and is made of platinum. There are two rows of yellow, pink and clear diamonds on top of it. There are seven large emeralds framed by diamonds on very top of the tiara. The gems used in this tiara are a combination of the old and new. The brilliant-cut diamonds were probably re-cut in the 19th century from loose Indian diamonds which were in the treasury. The emeralds are probably from South America, though they were cut sometime before Nader Shah's campaign in India. The diamonds surrounding the emeralds are probably also from South Africa. The largest emerald, located in the centre of the top row, is 65 carats and the smallest ones on the ends of the row are 10 carats each. The two largest diamonds are approximately 15 carats each.

Attachments

• dresspasar.jpg
    dresspasar.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 4,057
  • dresstiara2.jpg
    dresstiara2.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 13,144
The Persepolis Celebrations - grand state banquet

1. For the grand state banquet of Persepolis, on the 14th October, HIM The Shahbanou of Iran wore a magnificent golden dress and matching long coat, embroidered with silver. Made by Iranian couturiers, the design of the dress and the coat was the same as one the Empress had worn the year before, but in white. The Empress wore the blue sash of the Nishan-i-Aryamehr, the Order of the Light of the Aryans. Her hairdo, by Alexandre de Paris, was designed for a perfect display of the tiara.

2. Two details of the Shahbanou’s dress at the grand state banquet held on the 14th October 1971, her 33rd birthday.

Attachments

• dress3.jpg
    dress3.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 664
  • dress1.jpg
    dress1.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 570
The Persepolis Celebrations - grand state banquet

1. The Empress of Iran wore some absolutely fantastic jewels during the grand state banquet. She chose the Noor-ol-Ain Tiara, created for her by Harry Winston, on the occasion of her wedding to HIM The Shah of Iran. Her Majesty wore a simple necklace composed by several rows of diamonds and also a superb pair of earrings, composed by very large diamonds.

The centrepiece of this amazing tiara is the Noor-ol-Ain diamond, which is one of the largest pink diamonds in the world. The diamond may have been brought from India, along with the Sea of Light diamond. The diamond is set in platinum, and is surrounded by pink, clear and yellow diamonds. The Noor-ol-Ain is a brilliant cut, almost tear shaped diamond of approximately 60 carats; the other diamonds range from 14 to 19 carats each.

2. The Noor-ol-Ain Tiara, worn by Her Imperial Majesty on the grand state banquet of Persepolis, also her 33rd birthday.

Attachments

• dress2.jpg
    dress2.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 867
  • dresstiara.jpg
    dresstiara.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 818
Last edited:
Coronation

Blueice said:
1. The Empress of Iran wore some absolutely fantastic jewels during the grand state banquet. She chose the Noor-ol-Ain Tiara, created for her by Harry Winston, on the occasion of her wedding to HIM The Shah of Iran. Her Majesty wore a simple necklace composed by several rows of diamonds and also a superb pair of earrings, composed by very large diamonds.

The centrepiece of this amazing tiara is the Noor-ol-Ain diamond, which is one of the largest pink diamonds in the world. The diamond may have been brought from India, along with the Sea of Light diamond. The diamond is set in platinum, and is surrounded by pink, clear and yellow diamonds. The Noor-ol-Ain is a brilliant cut, almost tear shaped diamond of approximately 60 carats; the other diamonds range from 14 to 19 carats each.

2. The Noor-ol-Ain Tiara, worn by Her Imperial Majesty on the grand state banquet of Persepolis, also her 33rd birthday.

Of course it's very impressive to see Her Majesty wearing this marvellous jewels but from my point of view the important thing was that Empress Farah was the first woman of all Persian history to be crowned. As she said once, crowning her the Shah was recognising the important role plaid for all Iranian women.

sol_anglada said:
Of course it's very impressive to see Her Majesty wearing this marvellous jewels but from my point of view the important thing was that Empress Farah was the first woman of all Persian history to be crowned. As she said once, crowning her the Shah was recognising the important role plaid for all Iranian women.

Very good point, Sol anglada - surely, historical significance of The Coronation act itself for Persian and history in general is something to be considered, acknowledged and referred to. However, whilst posting detailed specifications about jewelry and other regal garments that had been specifically created for that occasion in this thread, I actually tried to address it's original topic - HIH Farah Diba's Jewelry, by sharing some of the photos and information regarding one of the world's most impressive and beautiful jewelry collections in history. That most certainly does not make a historical or political significance of that event any lesser and I'm sorry if my posts implied that - since it wasn't my attention. Best regards.

Check out the HUGE necklace, which Empress Farah wore at the gala dinner for the 25th anniversary of "Anne-Aymone Giscard D'Estaing's Foundation for Childhood" at the Versailles Castle in February 2002.

Attachments

• 71864.jpg
    71864.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,494
sol_anglada said:
Thanks Abir for psting this pictures of the Empress Farah !!
Sol
You are welcome sol :)
I add down more ...

Back
Top Bottom