Duchess of Windsor Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, the jewels Wallis owned were incredible! A bit extravagant maybe, but still very nice! Can anyone tell me if there's a thread on this woman's life on this forum? I come accross her name from time to time and would love to know more about her!

Have you tried the British Forum? Or Wiki?

I believe that is incorrect. There are families all over the UK and Europe who have owned tiaras for generations; if what you're saying is true then a bride would need the monarch's permission to wear a tiara on her wedding day. I hardly see that happening.
And, Wallis did have an emerald bead hair ornament that could classify as a tiara; I suppose she could have worn it whenever she wanted.
I remember reading somewhere that "commoner" received an honourary order from a monarch of a foreign country and he had to obtain the Queens permission to wear it at state events. I think if one were to wear a tiara at state events they had to be from, or married into a family who has a tradition of wearing one. Even royal ladies don't wear tiaras to private parties or dinner. The point (if there was one) with Wallis is that she was never invited to a state event or dinner and when should she wear one? to a party and outdo the royals.

You're confusing two entirely different things. Honours have nothing to do with tiaras; tiaras can be worn by anyone, there are no rules about tiaras and "family tradition", and the Duchess of Windsor was photographed wearing a bandeau tiara.

You're confusing two entirely different things. Honours have nothing to do with tiaras; tiaras can be worn by anyone, there are no rules about tiaras and "family tradition", and the Duchess of Windsor was photographed wearing a bandeau tiara.
Yes, thanks for correcting me, I think Wallace's not wearing one had more to do with not having appropriate events to wear it to, rather, than the king not allowing her. She was showy enough to wear anything, but probably had the good taste to realize not to wear it.

Perhaps tiaras didn´t suit her? I don´t wear hats for the very same reason but I can´t see Wallis wearing a tiara to a restaurant or one of the many parties she seemed to spend her life going to. There is an etiquette to wearing tiaras, they are supposedly worn only by married ladies - brides do too, of course but that is perhaps because they are on their way to be married.
I see royal unmarried princesses wearing them perhaps a royal princess is an exception to this unwritten rule. I am trying to remember who I have seen wearing one and I can only come up with Princess Victoria and her sister Madeleine, can anyone come up with more?

I think it was probably partially that they didn't suit her and partially it would've opened themselves up to alot more criticism. It was always my understanding that while they were exiled, and David renounced his claim to the throne, he still received money from the govenrment/royal family? Maybe they didn't want to jepordize their position even further?

Posts discussing the lives of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor have been moved to the relevant thread in the British Forums.

It seems to me that Wallis was a Duchess, the wife of a Royal Duke, Regardless of whether they would have been invited to state dinners or not, if she wanted to wear a tiara she was no less entitled to wear on than the Duchess of Kent or Gloucester--or even the Duchess of Westminster (who has a truly stunning collection of pieces at her disposal--I think I shall find that forum and browse in a moment); Dukes, Duchesses, Earls, Counts, Barons, etc... all have family jewels that generally include a tiara or two (the Spencers have four that I can name offhand--turquoise mourning, the one Diana wore all the time, the feathers on the greek key, and Marie Antionette's)---so if Wallis wanted a tiara then she certainly could have worn one.

Sapphire Pendant

Original link posted by Elsa M. here

A diamond and 206.82 carat sapphire pendant made by Cartier in 1951 for the Duchess of Windsor.
Put up for auction, but withdrawn by the owner when he decided he couldn't part with it.

¤

She also left jewels to Marie-Christine. I didn't know she had left anything else to any of the other royal ladies but I know Marie-Christine was told never to wear the jewels HG left her in front of EIIR or QM.

Sorry but who is Marie-Christine?

Marie-Christine = Princess Michael of Kent.
The Duchess of Windsor didn't leave her jewels but gave some to her as gifts while she was still alive, including a pair of Cartier panther earrings.

Very nice gifts too. I hadn´t realised that the Duchess had ever met her.
There were rumours years before the Duchess died that she would leave some of her jewellery to Prince Charles but it seems that never happened.

Warren, thank you for the sapphire pendant post--isn't it an unbelievably beautiful piece? I am not ashamed to say that I made a small, but audible, gasp when I saw it. Wallis had some stunning pieces--they appear a little dated now, but they are no less spectacular. I love the pieces Princess Michael wears.

Very nice gifts too. I hadn´t realised that the Duchess had ever met her.
There were rumours years before the Duchess died that she would leave some of her jewellery to Prince Charles but it seems that never happened.

Prince Michael of Kent used to visit The Duke and Duchess in Paris and he continued to visit Wallis after The Duke died. So, when he became engaged to Marie-Christine, he brought her to meet The Duchess.

She was charmed by Marie-Christine and gave her some valuable pieces as wedding gifts including the ruby cherry brooch with matching earrings, emerald and diamond drop earrings, a diamond ring, a sapphire bracelet and a Cartier brooch.

She did leave a few more pieces in her will to Princess Michael, The Duchess of Kent and Princess Alexandra as a gesture of affection for their kindness to her and The Duke.

We had someone in the family like that, visited his old aunt a lot and got an emerald ring for his trouble too. I am sorry, I didn´t mean to be cynical the next generation after the abdication probably didn´t understand the ill feeling towards someone who, to them and lots of other people, had stolen a king and taken him into the frivolous world of café society.
I haven´t seen any of this jewellery on Princess Michael but I am sure it looks fabulous and some day I am sure it will look just as fabulous on her daughter, for me the best looking in the new generation of royals.

Check out the PRincess Michael jewels thread--you'll see some of the pieces there, along with some stunners from Marina's collection

I can't seem to find a Princess Michael of Kent's jewels thread at all!
We have the "Kent" jewels thread for Princess Alexandra, Princess Michael and the Duchess of Kent as virtually all the jewels come from Princess Marina (Duchess of Kent). It's a family friendly thread. :D

GASP! PANT! Sharp intake of breath! Beautiful job--and that's just my initial reaction. Excuse me, I'm off to explore.

Last edited by a moderator:
GOSH..... all of these pieces are just mouth watering thanks so much for posting the site. I could say I love tis or that but simply say I adore them all.

Super Great Job Lady Meg. I have been searching for a pic of the Duchess in the coral torsade with the emerald clasp, if you come upon one will you PM me? I too will have to spend sometime 'dreaming on your site!!!'

Excellent work, Lady Meg. :) It's indeed great to see all these magnificent pieces. Especially the Diamond and Emerald necklace is amazing.

Lots of Pics.. I've been working on this page.... have a look.
Let me know what you guys think and if there is anything else I can add. Oh, her jewellery is at the bottom.

Jewellery of Today's British Royalty - The Tudors Wiki

Fantastic work Lady Meg. The best photo collection of royal jewellery I have seen, congratulations.
It was rather touching to see the pictures of the much more natural Diana on her Australian visit too, she became so polished it is easy to forget what a natural beauty she was.
There is one thing that puzzles me, the Duchess of Windsor´s emerald engagement ring is usually described as a Moghul emerald and that one isn´t. :flowers:

Yes, apparently that is the "reset" one. She had it re-done for some reason I guess. At least that's what I read when I found the pic. I went hunting for pics of her.. well for everyone on that page. I really wanted to showcase the beauty of the jewels. The pictures of Diana - yes, I wanted to find something from when she was just coming into being the Princess of Wales. The later stuff shows a transformation. Man, did she LOVE Pearls!!

Super Great Job Lady Meg. I have been searching for a pic of the Duchess in the coral torsade with the emerald clasp, if you come upon one will you PM me? I too will have to spend sometime 'dreaming on your site!!!'
I'm not sure if I'm familiar with that piece. Is that pictured on the page? Yes, she had SPLENDID jewelry!! I was soooo happy to find so many pictures of her actually wearing the jewelery.

It is in the sale book, their was a whole fabulous suite of coral and emeralds. But I too have never seen a picture of her actually wearing this!;)

Yes, the Duke & Duchess are buried together at Frogmore. The Duchess's funeral was held at St Georges Chapel. It was quite low key but the Queen & the rest of the immediate family did attend.
Apparently they did not mention the name of the Duchess throughout the funeral. Or so I heard.
And I wonder did they leave any piece of jewelry[like a Kenneth Jay Lane which she loved so much ] on the Duchess when laid to rest?

I dont know how one could have a funeral without ever mentioning the deceased...The last time I was at one I remember there was a lot of 'And now take back the soul of our departed sister XYZ'

Back
Top Bottom