The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-20-2018, 09:35 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tihkon2 View Post
There's enough sapphires for both wives to get a set. From the top of my head there are at least two sets. The Saudi sapphires and the set from the Sultan of Oman.
For me though, it's not whether there are enough to go around, it's more that Kate is so associated with sapphires that - for me - I would want my own identity. Especially since, even the Sultan of Oman set**, the main sapphire stones are basically the exact same shape as Kate's engagement ring (and the sapphire earrings she has that look similar to Diana's). If they were square shaped I might rest them into a new formulation and then it wouldn't feel as samey as Kate's pieces.

I'm just speaking for me personally and what I would do/want if I were in Meghan's place. I'd be happy to let sapphires be Kate's "colored jewel" and I'd choose something else...emeralds, etc. Or just stick with diamonds, lol. Can't go wrong with diamonds!

**nevermind, I was thinking of the Saudi set, which have the round/oval sapphire. The Oman set is more of a triangle/sweeping design.

Old 05-20-2018, 09:46 PM
Majesty

Meghan will be playing a little catch up as well. Not having foreign royals, especially Uber wealthy Middle East royals as wedding guests will set her back a bit. I think the emeralds Catherine wore to the Baftas are a wedding gift.

Old 05-20-2018, 09:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

I agree. While Diana has plenty of sapphires, she also had plenty of other stones, including other colors. I would go another direction if I was Meghan.

Though if she is going to wear sapphires, I do think Meghan would likely lean more towards the Oman suite. Its a bit more modern in lines. The suite isn't that large though unlike the Saudi, just a necklace and earrings.

https://royalwatcherblog.com/2017/08...apphire-suite/

Kate seems to be more the 'traditional jewel' type then Meghan. The Saudi suite definitely fits her a bit better IMO, and match her ring.

https://royalwatcherblog.com/2017/08...apphire-suite/

Besides that there is the giant brooch she wore on pearls. Not sure I could see it being worn, but if it was, more likely by Kate.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

Would love to see Meghan in pearls.

LaRae
Old 05-20-2018, 10:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Would love to see Meghan in pearls.

LaRae
I wouldn't. Sorry most pearls are kind of 'old fashioned'. I don't mind the aquamarine/pearl bracelet. But I hope we never see her in a string of pearls, at least for a few more decades. She has a much more modern clean aesthetic.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

A good quality set of pearls are never out of style. The Aquamarine bracelet that matches the ring contain pearls as the 'band'.

LaRae
Old 05-20-2018, 11:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
A good quality set of pearls are never out of style. The Aquamarine bracelet that matches the ring contain pearls as the 'band'.

LaRae
Sorry but in the 'modern aesthetic' the idea of a woman with a nice little chain of pearls is not fashion forward. More if you are going for a retro Jackie O feel.

I actually specifically mention the pearls on the aquamarine bracelet, notice. I said I actually don't mind them, and have said I'd like to see her wear them. But a pearl bracelet is different then wearing a string of pearls around your neck.

A string of pearls, if under a certain age, requires a certain fashion style for them to look fashionable. They look good on Kate, because her retro 50/60s vine she lives in, fits that aesthetic.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Sometime after the passing of Diana I remember reading in either Majesty magazine or Royalty magazine that Harry was to inherit All of Diana's jewels as Williams future bride would have the use of the Queens collection. Perhaps this is why we see the Queen loaning Kate some very nice pieces over the last 7 years. Also i believe Harry and William are casual about Diana's collection and not so rigid as to who wears what.

I loved seeing Meghan in that tiara and the bracelet. Not fussed on the wedding earrings but that is possibly because I couldn't see them in very much detail.
Anyway she was a beautiful bride and everyone I spoke to loved the wedding.
Warm feelings towards Doria too.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

It will be Prince Charles's 70 th birthday celebration this weekend so i can't wait to see what jewels our brand new Duchess wears to the party.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

I know...can't wait to see the outfit and jewelry (if any)!

LaRae
Old 05-20-2018, 11:52 PM
Nobility

Would it be wrong to take some of the gems out of various pieces and rework them? Diana did that, Queen Mary did that, Queen Elizabeth did as well. So, for example, the Sultan of Oman suite, maybe, could be taken apart and reworked to create something specifically suited to one of the Duchesses. Or does a certain amount of time have to elapse before a piece can be reworked?
Old 05-20-2018, 11:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebaby View Post
Would it be wrong to take some of the gems out of various pieces and rework them? Diana did that, Queen Mary did that, Queen Elizabeth did as well. So, for example, the Sultan of Oman suite, maybe, could be taken apart and reworked to create something specifically suited to one of the Duchesses. Or does a certain amount of time have to elapse before a piece can be reworked?
You could always rework them, but it'd be difficult with the Oman Suite as it use small stones and the design is so unique. The Saudi is easier with a bigger stone, just put it into another setting.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

It has been suggested Kate's sapphire earrings are the Saudi suite, they were just re-worked for her style. No confirmation, but if true, then yes can be done.

And Meghan's engagement ring has 2 diamonds that were taken from a brooch that belonged to Diana.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:43 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
It has been suggested Kate's sapphire earrings are the Saudi suite, they were just re-worked for her style. No confirmation, but if true, then yes can be done.

And Meghan's engagement ring has 2 diamonds that were taken from a brooch that belonged to Diana.
Countessmeout, can you post a photo of the sapphire earrings Kate wears that you are referring to? These are the Saudi earrings, I don't remember Kate wearing similar earrings, but maybe I missed it. https://www.gettyimages.it/detail/fo...ure-id52118331

If it's personal jewelry (gifts, etc) there's no problem doing whatever you like to the piece.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy- View Post
Countessmeout, can you post a photo of the sapphire earrings Kate wears that you are referring to? These are the Saudi earrings, I don't remember Kate wearing similar earrings, but maybe I missed it. https://www.gettyimages.it/detail/fo...ure-id52118331

If it's personal jewelry (gifts, etc) there's no problem doing whatever you like to the piece.
The sapphire drop earrings Kate wears, has worn since her engagement. It has been suggested (here in the article by the DM) in several places that they may be altered version of the Saudi suite.

Diana's sensational sapphires (that Kate adores) | Daily Mail Online
Old 05-21-2018, 01:01 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
The sapphire drop earrings Kate wears, has worn since her engagement. It has been suggested (here in the article by the DM) in several places that they may be altered version of the Saudi suite.

Diana's sensational sapphires (that Kate adores) | Daily Mail Online
Ah, the good old DF, they are far from a reliable source for jewelry information!
This is the Saudi suite: http://68.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpks75wTh21qidgdg.jpg

There is no part of it that remotely matches Kate's earrings imo.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy- View Post
Ah, the good old DF, they are far from a reliable source for jewelry information!
This is the Saudi suite: http://68.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpks75wTh21qidgdg.jpg

There is no part of it that remotely matches Kate's earrings imo.
I know what the Saudi suite is. There are pictures in the DM article. And DM isn't the only one who suggested the sapphires for the earrings came from he suite.

I didn't say it was true. I simply said 'it has been suggested'....
Old 05-21-2018, 02:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Just weighing in on two things:
Firstly a traditional strand of pearls could be seen as a bit old-fashioned yes although I'd personally call it classic. The solution to that could be to use whatever pearls at Meghan's disposal in other jewellery - bracelets, maybe a longer necklace with a pendant etc...
The other thing is regarding what has been said about the boys waiting to divide up their mother's jewels until Harry's wedding. That's what Harald, Ragnhild and Astrid of Norway did. Their mother Crown Princess Märtha died in 1954 but it wasn't until after Harald's wedding to Sonja Haraldsen in 1968 that they finally divided up her substantial jewellery collection.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:24 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Just weighing in on two things:
Firstly a traditional strand of pearls could be seen as a bit old-fashioned yes although I'd personally call it classic. The solution to that could be to use whatever pearls at Meghan's disposal in other jewellery - bracelets, maybe a longer necklace with a pendant etc...
The other thing is regarding what has been said about the boys waiting to divide up their mother's jewels until Harry's wedding. That's what Harald, Ragnhild and Astrid of Norway did. Their mother Crown Princess Märtha died in 1954 but it wasn't until after Harald's wedding to Sonja Haraldsen in 1968 that they finally divided up her substantial jewellery collection.
I agree re the pearls, classic vs old-fashioned makes sense. Diana wore pearls a lot, she had a lovely, many-stranded pearl necklace with diamond/ruby bars, a gorgeous set of large, cream colored baroque pearls that I always coveted... the list is really long and varied, I'm sure there are lots of goodies for both ladies to share.

It makes sense for the Will and Harry to wait until both were married, that way their wives can make up their minds what suits them (smart men, leaving that one up to the wives!)
Old 05-21-2018, 04:21 AM
Courtier

Thank you so much. I was really wondering that there was no specific picture of the bracelet. Plus - she didn't wear it in the evening......