Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 6: January 2008-September 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Madame Royal that ring is gorgeous. I am sure that nieces and nephews on seeing it will be at your beck and call for a long time to come.
I believe that Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother left a great part of her private jewellery to Prince Charles and no doubt it will be appearing on Camilla. Her engagement ring came from Queen Elizabeth and I should imagine most of her jewellery has too. I remember she wore the same pearl necklace before she was married and a diamond necklace which was said to be from her family for evening formal wear. The magnificent, enormous tiara she has worn recently may belong to the Queen´s coffers, perhaps someone will tell me.
I am sure that her great-grandmother managed to collect some lovely jewellery when she was Edward VII´s mistress, she only had two daughters to inherit so some of the pieces have probably found their way to Camilla.

The Queen Mother left all of her private jewels to The Queen in a sovereign-to-sovereign transfer to avoid estate duty. The pieces she used as Queen Consort in right of the Crown (Queen Alexandra's ruby parure, pearl & diamond parure, the George III Fringe Tiara, the Oriental Circlet, several bracelets and brooches) were all returned to The Queen. She has since worn several of the pieces, notably the ruby parure and the Oriental Circlet.

The remainder of her jewels were mostly a bequest from her very wealthy friend, Mrs. Greville. The Boucheron Honeycomb Tiara was modified with diamond arches on the top by Cartier in 1949, with stones from Queen Mary. Queen Mary also gave her the Delhi Durbar diadem, which she wore once on a state visit to South Africa, and then never again.

Camilla has obviously been given these jewels by The Queen for her use. But The Queen Mother didn't leave them to Prince Charles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Madame Royale, the ring is very beautiful and will look much better in white gold as opposed to yellow gold. It is not only women who will wait a long to time to have a piece of jewelry commissioned and finished. I waited 18 months for a white gold necklace set with 9mm black pearls to be finished after a saw a similiar one on a website about pearls for men. I think Camilla has exceptional taste in jewelry and always looks very elegant

Madame has inadvertently hijacked the thread.
Could we keep to the topic of Camilla's jewels please.

Warren
Royal Jewels moderator

Does anybody know when the next tiara toting event is?

I think that the Duchess of Cornwall has the class to wear those big diamonds and gigantic tiaras! After all, what's the purpose of keeping all these jewels in the vaults gathering dust? I think its wonderful the Queen is letting Camilla wear these historical pieces. Otherwise, we would never have seen them being worn again and that would be a shame! I know these big tiaras are a bit «out of fashion» but i suppose when the Duchess becomes the royal consort she will use them whenever she wants. She was already been given acess to major pieces (the saudi rubies, the emerald brooch, the Durbar tiara, the Oriental Circlet Tiara, the Honeycomb Boucheron Tiara). That's quite a valuable collection! It would be great to see her wearing more jewels from previous queens, especially from Queen Alexandra. I have seen photos of QA in the 1880s and I think there are a couple of tiaras that haven't seen day light for more than a century. It's time to wear them back again.

But I was thinking that when Camilla becomes Queen or Princess Consort or whatever (she will play the official role of a queen consort anyway...), won't it be strange to see her wearing the tiaras that are nowadays used by the Queen? I think she'll look fantastic in the Vladimir Tiara for example, but it will be odd to watch... after seeing Her Majesty wearing them for such a long time. What do you think? The Girl's of Great Britian and Ireland tiara wouldn't suit her though.

The Duchess of Cornwall never wore the Oriental Circlet ruby tiara. The Saudi ruby necklace is not a piece she was given access to, it's contemporary and was a gift to the Duchess.
Just for the record.

This seems kind of morbid, discussing jewels The Duchess will wear that are currently worn by the QEII--so, I just want to add the disclaimer that I'm not looking forward to that event when it happens.

Now, about the tiaras. I do think that Camilla will look outstanding in the emerald drop version of the Vladimir tiara; she'll most likely wear the Kent Demi-Parue as she seems to like amethysts, and I think she'll look great in the Girls of Great Britian tiara--in fact, I think she would look fantastic in all pieces--even that aquamarine nightmare of QEII's.
But, I do wonder if we will see her in any of Alexandra's signature pieces--the kokoshink tiara and the pearl necklace to be specific--because of the whole Alice Keppel/Queen Alexandra/King Edward triangle. Personally, I want to see her in that tiara; it would suit her quite well.

It was wonderful to see the Duchess of Cornwall wearing that gorgeous Diamond Collet with her pale pink chiffon at the dinner in Brunei and the fabulous single strand of pearls with matching earrings worn with the ivory chiffon (with ruffles) at the presentation at the Brunei Darussalam University. :wub:

Sad that there were no "Tiara" moments, but the collet and the pearls where an inspired choice for the occassions. :wub:

She wore some brooches with that purple suit in Japan but I wasn't able to determine which ones they were. Anyone know?

She wore some brooches with that purple suit in Japan but I wasn't able to determine which ones they were. Anyone know?

Camilla has worn these brooches earlier, and if I am not mistaken, she wore them previously for 2006 Ascot with the gold coat dress and the large feathery hat. She wore the same ensemble again the following year at one of the Buck House balcony events (2007 Trooping the colour?). I am not sure what the brooches are made of, but appear to be painted enamel on gold

Its very interesting to observe "the progression" when it comes to Camilla and the diamond necklaces she has worn over the years.

First up, rewinding to her 50th birthday party at Highgrove in July 1997, we got to see the diamond necklace with the daisies and yellow gold (repeated again when they went to the US in 2005, for the premiere of The Far Pavilions, and for the party they hosted for the Queens 80th birthday at Kew).

Daisies and yellow gold diamond necklace (see post 444):
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f44/charles-and-camillas-official-visit-to-the-u-s-a-1-8-november-2005-a-7662-23.html

Next up came the "serpent" diamond necklace, which Charles is meant to have acquired for her before they were married and used by Camilla on a number of occasions before and after they were married, including the state dinner for the Norwegiens when Camilla wore the Delhi Durbar.
Serpent diamond necklace:
[URL="http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=205988&d=1130275553"]http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=205988&d=1130275553[/URL]

Third came the "mystery" diamond necklace first seen on the trip to the US in 2005, and then again when Camilla wore the Boucheron honeycomb tiara for the first time.

Mystery diamond necklace (see post 53):
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f20/duchess-of-cornwall-jewellery-3-nov-2005-feb-2007-a-8035-3.html

Fourth came the collet necklace on her 60th birthday (and again when the Sarkozy's visited, and in Brunei)
Collet necklace:
ImageShack - Hosting :: offpim8.jpg

......to be followed rapidly by the Greville 5 strings in Uganda!
Greville 5 string:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=696927&postcount=34

Just demonstrates that Camilla has the poise and presence to wear some of the worlds most "serious" jewels!

Last edited by a moderator:
Charles bought Camilla a tiara of synthetic rubies and diamonds set in platinum that the King had bought for Alice Keppel. There are also some other pieces that Charles has given Camilla--and Camilla has worn the piece as a necklace. If you go to Magnolia's site, it is the fourth tiara down---
Cornwall
Am I the only one surprised that Mrs. Keppel's gift from the King was synthetic rubies and diamonds? I wonder if 1. It was ment to be real jewels and the jeweler cheated. 2. If Mrs Keppel sold the real ones and had synthetics set in the platinum frame. Why would the King give the 'love of hiis life' fake stones?

Am I the only one surprised that Mrs. Keppel's gift from the King was synthetic rubies and diamonds? I wonder if 1. It was ment to be real jewels and the jeweler cheated. 2. If Mrs Keppel sold the real ones and had synthetics set in the platinum frame. Why would the King give the 'love of hiis life' fake stones?

As I recall reading, synthetic rubies were really quite the rage and at the time were rather expensive. It was certainly not a "slight" to be given one--especially if the pieces were set in platinum and diamonds! I believe my recollection comes from G. Munn's book on Tiaras--there is a lovely picture of the piece. Camilla has worn it as a necklace before as well. It's an interesting piece.

:previous:
This is what Mr Munn has to say on the subject of synthetic rubies, page 126:

"These newly invented stones, hardly valued today, were considered something of a novety at the turn of the century and found their way into the commercial repertoire of a number of famous firms, including Fabergé."

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

This is a picture which appeared in Duchess of Cornwall Jewelry in February. This white brooch once belonged to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother. I remember she wore it with poppies during the Opening of the Field Of Remembrance in the later years of her life. So, this brooch is not new; but inherited from The Queen Mother.

I love antique jewellery but at first I was really taken aback at the prices these synthetic rubies bring even in these days now that I know more about them I would gladly receive some as a present......

I must say, Camilla is displaying these jewels quite impressively.

On a different note, I haven't seen any photos from the Diplomatic Corp Reception.....anything worth posting?

Camilla sure seems to wear the big 'stuff' with ease. Good for her!! Love this necklace!!

I think The Duchess of Cornwall wore this diamond serpent necklace as well during the State Banquet in honour of the Norwegian royals back in 2005.

I think The Duchess of Cornwall wore this diamond serpent necklace as well during the State Banquet in honour of the Norwegian royals back in 2005.

Thats right, but it has not been seen much since early 2006.

I"ve always rather liked this necklace. Didn't Charles purchase it for her?
And, loving the Duchess in that gown!

I"ve always rather liked this necklace. Didn't Charles purchase it for her?
And, loving the Duchess in that gown!

Charles is meant to have bought it for Camilla in the early part of this century, and it is rumoured to hav been one of the Keppel jewels.

I too love the gown - it is wonderfully theathrical, and I just love the way Camilla continues to recycle these suingature pieces over the years. That said, I am not sure if some of her more recent gowns will be that "durable" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom