Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 5: November 2007 - February 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to agree with GillW. This is not one of my favourites on the Duchess

I think a full lenght picture would show that the gown is more flattering than we think. I personally think she looked lovely, regal, and quite royal. And, I, too am pleased at how at ease Charles appears these days. I love that photo of them in the boat where she is taking photos; show's that in some ways they're "just an old married couple".
As for jewelry, she stole the show with the Queen's approval. You can't get much better than that.

I don’t know. The bust section looks too loose, more darts on the side and just under the breast would have given the Duchess more shape and then it could have A- lined mid hip. She is quite chesty but this makes them look –how shall I say this . Not at their best. This said I did print off the photo.

Not a very flattering dress design, whether viewed full length or half, I'm afraid. The pale blue is too pale for Camilla and washes her out, leaving only the "dazzlers". She always looks great in clear, vibrant colours...even a champagne colour would have set off her and the diamonds better.

Wonder how Camilla would look in a tiara if she pulled her hair back, and pinned it up (in a chignon, for example)?

Hmmm...

or a French twist?

Wonder how Camilla would look in a tiara if she pulled her hair back, and pinned it up (in a chignon, for example)?

Hmmm...

It could be fairly loose to still allow some volume to the top and sides of her 'do but still be flattering. I wonder if a Gibson Girl style would be flattering or a French twist? I remember some postings on one of the other jewelry pages showing some fabulous updos with tiaras. I like your chignon idea also.

It could be fairly loose to still allow some volume to the top and sides of her 'do but still be flattering. I wonder if a Gibson Girl style would be flattering or a French twist? I remember some postings on one of the other jewelry pages showing some fabulous updos with tiaras. I like your chignon idea also.

I wonder if her hair is long enough? I think it would either end up looking very flattering or very unflattering. I personally like her big hair with the big tiaras- seems to balance them out.

I think Camilla's hair is an integral part of her image. I'm not sure I'd like it if she changed it. I can't see her with any other style really.

I like her hair as is--its her signature, and she can wear those big tiaras!!

I think she can still brush the sides up and back every now and then. Pined loosely, it would look quite lovely.

A loose victory roll, and her tiara place in the folds. Mmmmm nice

Last edited by a moderator:
Royals are requested to look the part if they want to be accepted. Plus the Queen is trying to establish Charles' claim as her successor as head of the Commonwealth which is not an automatic happening but he has to win a voting for it after the queen's death.

I am confident that you will find, Jo, that the Head of the
British Commonwealth is always the British monarch. There is no election.

Perhaps I should have added that the Secretary-General of the Commonwealth is elected. Currently, the position is held by a New Zealander.

Best,

Polly

I wanted to add my 2cents worth on the Duchess' jewels at CHOGM.

The one and only photo which I saw of her was, to my eyes, most unattractive. That heavy tiara and all of those diamonds.......To me, it was just too much bling and, I thought, compared to HM, she looked a tad vulgar, and dare I say it, too Hollywood Royalty.

Which is a pity. I think that she's probably a delightful woman, that Charles is lucky to have her, and it's obvious that she's going to prove a huge asset to the throne more and more, as time goes on. Her dress sense is good, and getting better, but she doesn't look her best, in my opinion, when she's heavily-bejeweled.

The Queen, on the other hand, looked simply elegant - she knows, obviously, what does and doesn't suit her. Still, she's had a year or two longer to find her style.

I wanted to add my 2cents worth on the Duchess' jewels at CHOGM. The one and only photo which I saw of her was, to my eyes, most unattractive.
I wonder what they looked like "in real life"? Diamonds can often look 'heavy' when photographed, yet when seeing the real thing they can appear to be dancing with light. I've seen the Queen up close when she was wearing the Kokoshnik and dripping with diamonds, and the scintillation and flash as she moved was something to behold. Getting away from whether or not Camilla had a Greville overload, I think it would be a real treat to see these diamonds in action. It's a pity that we rarely hear a first-hand description of the effect from those who attend these functions.

I am confident that you will find, Jo, that the Head of the
British Commonwealth is always the British monarch. There is no election.

The Daily Telegraph:
Charles seeks to seal place in Commonwealth - Telegraph

"While the Queen is formally Head of the Commonwealth, there is no guarantee that this title will transfer to him. However, Prince Charles is quietly positioning himself to eventually become the organisation's titular leader."

Agence France Presse: AFP: Prince Charles to attend first Commonwealth heads summit

"
Although the queen has been head of the Commonwealth since her accession to the throne in 1952, the position is not enshrined in law and her heir does not automatically succeed her in the role.

Instead it is for Commonwealth leaders to decide."

And most important of all from the quoted source, IMHO:

KalingaTimes.com: Charles heads to Uganda on Commonwealth succession mission

"The Commonwealth Secretariat here has not commented on the media reports on Charles. But its rules are quite clear on the role of the monarch.

The Secretariat says: "When the Queen dies or if she abdicates, her heir will not automatically become head of the Commonwealth. It will be up to the Commonwealth heads of government to decide what they want to do about this symbolic role."

Plus hundreds of additional articles with the same information. Guess your confidence was misplaced... :flowers:

Getting away from whether or not Camilla had a Greville overload, I think it would be a real treat to see these diamonds in action. It's a pity that we rarely hear a first-hand description of the effect from those who attend these functions.

Are we sure these pieces came from Mrs. Greville? According to 'Queen's Jewel's' the diamond necklace(s) were a gift to QEQM from her husband and the tiara was made by Cartier from diamonds from an earlier tiara as well as loose diamonds given to the King and Queen on a visit to a South African diamond mine.

The one and only photo which I saw of her was, to my eyes, most unattractive. That heavy tiara and all of those diamonds.......To me, it was just too much bling and, I thought, compared to HM, she looked a tad vulgar, and dare I say it, too Hollywood Royalty.

So true! The jewels look like they are wearing her and not the other way round. The Queen on the other hand can wear gobs of diamonds and they fade into the background somehow.

Hi Jo,

Perhaps CHOGM 07 has changed things?

As recent as 1997, the Edinburgh Declaration re-affirmed that the Commonwealth recognises the the monarch of the Commonwealth Realms as Head of the Commonwealth.

I think it certainly possible that some republics, ex-realms, as it were, may well wish to be Head of the Commonwealth. Unless the ED was altered at this conference,then the status quo remains.

The Secretariat is a more appropriate source of information than any newspaper, I believe.

However, you do raise an interesting thesis, viz., that Charles is seen as being so unpopular throughout the Commonwealth that some sort of PR campaign is thought necessary to promote him. Personally, I think it a nonsense, if so. In 99.9% of membership status, the common denominator is the Monarch. Indeed, it's often been remarked that the Commonwealth is very close to Her Majesty's heart and that her enthusiasm has been the reinforced concrete of this, inherently, unwieldy structure.

Reports here of recent deliberations have been scant as this CHOGM was held when Australia went to the polls in a federal election. My instincts are, nonetheless, that without the consolidating influence of the Crown at the helm, then the Commonwealth is threatened. In fact, another Head is unthinkable as the Monarch is the only constituent participant who is clearly above politics.

Moving back to the discussion of the Duchess of Cornwall's jewels......
Camilla is to launch the new Cunard liner named after Queen Victoria! Now, I realize that is an honor itself, BUT she will certainly receive some token of appreciation. Princess Anne got a tiara for launching a ship and HM has countless brooches for these events. What will Camilla receive? Emeralds? Rubies? Sapphires? Diamonds? Brooch? Tiara? Probably a brooch! What have previous gifts looked like from Cunard for the Queen?? Anyone know?

I think the days of giving a tiaras is gone, for Camilla anyway. Cunard has seen the size of the jewels that she wears, so the price of a new tiara might be out of the question. A brooch, or earring would still be nice.

Good point, a tiara would be too pricey. When is the launch??

The launch is 10 Dec, this coming Monday.

Are we sure these pieces came from Mrs. Greville? According to 'Queen's Jewel's' the diamond necklace(s) were a gift to QEQM from her husband and the tiara was made by Cartier from diamonds from an earlier tiara as well as loose diamonds given to the King and Queen on a visit to a South African diamond mine.

The necklace and tiara are definitely gifts from Lady Greville to The Queen Mother. The tiara was made by Boucheron, but was later augmented by Cartier with diamond arches using unset stones Queen Mary had given to The Queen Mother.

im sorry but i dont like to see camilla wearing an of the personal royal jewels. she broke up a family and she shouldnt get any brownie points for that. besides...she doesnt know how to wear them right...thats way to much sparkle for a country where there are actual starving children on the steps on the government building.sad

Her Royal Highness, The Princess Charles Philip Arthur George, Princess of Wales and Countess of Chester, Duchess of Cornwall, Duchess of Rothesay, Countess of Carrick, Baroness of Renfrew, Lady of the Isles, Princess of Scotland, or as many of us on these boards prefer, Camilla, has the right to wear these jewels because of the position she carries--that of future Queen Consort/Princess Consort. She wears them well and looks perfectly appropriate and marvelous whether she has on a tiara and five strand necklace or a simple pair of pearl earrings. She always looks elegant.

Regarding the comment about starving children--yes, that is sad. There are starving children in each and every country on this planet, however The Queen, Prince Phillip, Prince Charles, and the Duchess were there on an official state visit; it would have been considered very rude had they not worn their best. I am reminded of when Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother visited the East End of London after the bombings wearing beautiful jewelery and clothing; when questioned about the appropriateness of wearing such things, Queen Elizabeth responded that if the public came to see her they would wear their best clothes, so she should reciprocate in kind. That's simply good manners.

And, I had been waiting a LONG time to see that necklace! Well worth the wait!

You just love those titles, jcbcode99..hehe...:flowers:
Though if I may add, the Queen Mother didn't entirely read the public as well as what she might have hoped. There was quite a number of people who did not appreciate such a display and thought it rather ostentacious (even for their Queen), especially considering they were walking amongst ruins which contained the bodies of mothers, fathers, sons and daughters and not a quid to be found in most pockets.​
Simply good manners? I think to Queen Elizabeth it was good manners. Her own rule of thumb, shall we say which I guess she thought would be appreciated by most. That was not the case.​

Last edited:
im sorry but i dont like to see camilla wearing an of the personal royal jewels. she broke up a family and she shouldnt get any brownie points for that. besides...she doesnt know how to wear them right...thats way to much sparkle for a country where there are actual starving children on the steps on the government building.sad

Breaking up a family doesn't prohibit one from wearing the royal jewels; any woman who is a member of the Royal Family has the right and privilege to wear the jewels that the Queen deems it appropriate to wear even if she broke up ten dozen families.

The only way to prohibit Camilla from wearing royal jewels in the first place would have been to deny her marriage to Charles so she could not become royal.

However that did not happen; for Camilla did marry Charles and she did become royal with all the rights and privileges that come with a royal position, including wearing royal jewels.

It seems particularly fruitless to complain that Camilla is wearing the royal jewels if you think she broke up a family - in that case, there would seem to be much more to complain about.

Camilla's jewels

Could anyone hazard a guess as to why Diana did not receive lots of jewels to wear as it seems Camilla has. After all Diana bore the heir to the throne. That alone should have entitled her to a necklace and a tiara or two, not from her own family, but as a gift from her husband as his rightful spouse and mother to his children.:confused:

Because the Queen Mother wasn't dead then?, Much of, if not nearly everything worn by Camilla once belonged to Queen Elizabeth.

You just love those titles, jcbcode99..hehe...:flowers:
Though if I may add, the Queen Mother didn't entirely read the public as well as what she might have hoped. There was quite a number of people who did not appreciate such a display and thought it rather ostentacious (even for their Queen), especially considering they were walking amongst ruins which contained the bodies of mothers, fathers, sons and daughters and not a quid to be found in most pockets.​
Simply good manners? I think to Queen Elizabeth it was good manners. Her own rule of thumb, shall we say which I guess she thought would be appreciated by most. That was not the case.​

:lol: You know I do love those titles; so many people just want to keep her in the past as the other woman when now is the THE woman.
Madame Royale, you are totally right about the reaction of people who thought it was ostentacious of the Queen Mother to wear all that --and I knew someone was going to point it out! When she was criticized for wearing her best that was when she made the whole statement about wearing her best for them because if they came to see her they would wear their best. The Qeen Mother was very good for morale, in fact I read where HItler called her the most dangerous woman in Europe. That always makes me smile, because the Queen Mother I remember looked anything but dangerous with her fluffy hair, feathery hats, and pastel outfits with matching handbags. But, the public loved her.

Regarding the jewels between Diana and Camilla, I'm with Madame Royale--the jewels which the Duchess of Cornwall wears belonged to the Queen Mother, who was alive during Diana's time so Diana would not have worn her pieces. Additionally, we have all discussed at some point how QEII is not really one to hand out her family's jewels. Diana did receive the Cambridge Lover's Knot and other pieces of Queen Mary's, and a few other items--but we have to remember that Diana did not like tiaras, so any tiara offered by the Queen may have been too heavy for her (she complained of headaches) and she didn't care for brooches. She always wore the Spencer tiara because it was lightweight. The only other lightweight tiara we know of in the BRF is the Girls of Great Britain, which was a gift to Queen Mary for her wedding, and she gave it to QEII for her wedding--and QEII loves that tiara so she wasn't going to loan it out!

Could anyone hazard a guess as to why Diana did not receive lots of jewels to wear as it seems Camilla has. After all Diana bore the heir to the throne. That alone should have entitled her to a necklace and a tiara or two, not from her own family, but as a gift from her husband as his rightful spouse and mother to his children.:confused:
Diana was very young when she married Prince Charles and was not particularly interested in jewels. She certainly received substantial gifts from The Queen with the Cambridge Lover's Knot and Cambridge emerald choker, both of which were personal bequests to The Queen from her grandmother. In the case of the tiara, The Queen actually was photographed early in her reign wearing it on state occasions, which was significant.

The Queen Mother had a substantial collection of jewels given to her over the years by her very good friend, Lady Greville. Most of the significant pieces worn by Camilla are comprised of these pieces, with the exception of the Delhi Durbar, which belonged to Queen Mary and worn only once by The Queen Mother.

Given The Queen's well-known sentimental attachment to a few pieces in her vast collection, it is not surprising that she has been less than generous in giving out pieces. She is not a "grande-dame" covered in jewels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom