Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 4: February-November 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She has clearly chosen to give Camilla one tiara associated with Queen Mary (the Delhi Durbar) and one associated with her mother (the Boucheron Diamond Honeycomb).

Or lend. Since she hasn't tended to wear the Delhi Durbar one herself and hasn't worn the honeycomb since her mother died, do we actually know the conditions under which Camilla gets to use them?

Everything I've ever read indicates that the queen lends pieces to the family members, not gives. This way the jewels always return to the crown and can never be sold or given or left to anyone else. Makes sense to me!

But does the Queen decide about every single one? She had to spend lot of time with it. I mean Camilla got lots of jewelry.

hornsen said:
But does the Queen decide about every single one? She had to spend lot of time with it. I mean Camilla got lots of jewelry.

I'm quite sure that it's must all be kept centrally under someone's watchful eye, and probably that any piece that one of them wants to borrow would be put to HM as a request. No doubt once it has been borrowed then the permission is "taken as read" until any other instructions are given. Let's face it, this may amount to a handful of requests per year - not really unmanageable....:flowers:

Elspeth said:
Or lend. Since she hasn't tended to wear the Delhi Durbar one herself and hasn't worn the honeycomb since her mother died, do we actually know the conditions under which Camilla gets to use them?

I highly doubt The Queen would "lend" two high profile tiaras associated with her mother and grandmother to Camilla with the intent of wearing them herself when she chooses.

They are, in reality, gifts to a future Queen Consort, just as Diana received Queen Mary's Lover's Knot Tiara in the same spirit.

hornsen said:

The royal jewelry belongs to The Queen and she most certainly approved each and every piece given to Camilla. Once she dies, the entire collection is inherited by Charles as the new Sovereign anyway.

scooter said:
Everything I've ever read indicates that the queen lends pieces to the family members, not gives. This way the jewels always return to the crown and can never be sold or given or left to anyone else. Makes sense to me!

She may lend pieces for certain formal occasions (such as when Diana wore the Saudi diamond necklaces and Victoria's diamond earrings a few times), but these are promptly returned. All other jewels are gifts with the intention of being passed on to her descendants.

As noted before, in the case of Diana, she was required to guarantee in her divorce agreement that any jewels given to her by The Queen and The Queen Mother could never be lent or sold. She also added a codicil to her will stating her royal jewels were to be given to Prince William after he marries.

I don't know what that stone is--garnet?--but that diamond work around the central stone looks impressive (albeit from a distance). I really like the hat!

It looks quite 1930s, could it be another Queen Mother piece?

It is gorgeous! It does look very QM, but I don't recall seeing anything of her wearing an orange-ish stone before, but given how much of QEQM's jewels we are seeing on the Duchess of Cornwall, I would be willing to wager that it is a piece of hers that we just never saw. It sure is stunning, and she really can pull off those larger pieces. Not just anyone can do that--

Based on what we've seen so far, when it comes to Camilla and royal jewels there are going to be a lot more surprises in store.

Based on what we've seen so far, when it comes to Camilla and royal jewels there are going to be a lot more surprises in store.
Yes, she seems to be the only member (from the immediate family) who really enjoys wearing the major peices! The Queen wears the same 4-5 Tiaras the whole time now for the past 50 something years

Quite right, Camilla seems to be the first member of the BRF of the currebt generation to be wearing serious jewellery. I guess this may be because both the Queen and Charles want Camilla to be seen as the accepted wife of the PoW, complete with all the regalia of the consort of a future monarch. Given all the negative publicity they endured prior to and at the time of the wedding and the whole issue in relation to her future title, they do not want Camilla to be seen as "second class" in any way.

Has anybody seen any close up pictures of the pearl drop earrings that Camilla regularly wears? I think the "tops" of the earrings are a floral diamond design, which are also used with the earrings she wore at her wedding (the blessing at St Georges). Any ideas?

hello magazine said the brooch Camilla wore on Ascot day was from Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, but the magazine does not give any detail.

hello magazine said the brooch Camilla wore on Ascot day was from Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, but the magazine does not give any detail.

Which is probably because someone is guessing! Often when they report these things they provide a photo of the previous owner wearing the item to back it up. When they DON'T I'm suspicious, until I can find out otherwise for certain...:flowers:

Oh my, she have exclents jewels, is just peat don't exist nice close of then. Thanks for he photos

Serious diamonds!

Another milestone in the Duchess of Cornwall's wearing of truly royal jewels...
The official picture to celebrate her 60th birthday shows the Duchess wearing a diamond collet necklace, provenance of the Queen Mother, and loaned to the Duchess by the Queen.

Pic originally posted by hornsen in the Duchess of Cornwall current events thread 8 at post #81.

Last edited:
They are massive. The diamonds I mean. Extremely grand and Camilla once again carries off a big piece with grace and elegance.

That necklace will look fantastic with the Bucheron honeycomb tiara--oh, I hope it is "loaned" again, but for all intents and purposes, it would appear that Camilla is rapidly acquiring the Queen Mother's jewel chest!

Camilla does look fantastic, and the diamonds look like real stunners. We are now beginning to see serious pieces of jewellery on Camilla, definately setting her up as a consort to the future king!

And so Charles goes off and buys his wife what for her 60th birthday??? Two rare breed sheep. So what is Camilla in the middle of all those diamonds and tiaras to do, sit there and watch sheep breed??? A ram and a ewe. How very, well, quaint. So she is to take up knitting as a passtime. Lovely. I knew that Charlie had his wacky side but this really is hilarious. Leave it to the royals. Never a dull moment. Cheers.

Nawal,
Thank you for such a stunning closeup--I knew those diamonds were quite large, but OH MY! The lucky lady!

Much has been reported since Sunday about the necklace that Camilla wore. does anybody know anything about the bracelet? Was that from the QM collection as well?

Great collet collier of awesome diamonds!

I find the setting a bit strange: so deeply enclosed by platina (?) or white gold (?). This sort of setting takes away lot of the ability for the diamonds to splendour.

Compare the Duchess' setting with another comparable sized diamonds, here worn by her Dutch colleague: in close up. You see that the diamonds are not totally surrounded by metal but are held in a sort of frame with 'claws'.

This setting provides these diamonds to lustre and unfold all their splendour. For example on this picture during a banquet. These diamond can also be worn as a necklace. The Dutch collier is much older but than Camilla's, but hers has a quite oldfashioned setting. Strange.

Congratulations to Camilla, both for her birthday and her rapidly growing fabulous collection.

:flowers:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom