Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 3: Nov 2005 - Feb 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it is. I think they want to show the world, that Camilla is completely involved to the family and will be Queen Consort. With Diana everybody thought, this is naturally. But Camilla had to fight for her position.

I think the Queen has been more generous over all recently. I think in a way the Queen has come into her own and is letting go of the old ways. Before the Queen Mum was still head of the family and had major influence but the Queen is much more generous now.

P. Charles is much closer to the throne than he was when he was married to Diana. It is imperative that Charles and whoever he is married to be treated as the King and Queen to be. The strength of the monarchy is very much dependent on the image of a strong monarch and heir. To treat Charles wife as someone of lesser status would just undermine the royal family. She is after all just a breath away from being Queen consort.

well.. camilla is just so lucky! even if the queen did not like her, she will have the queen's support no matter what..

I didnt think it went very well with her outfit either.

I think it is wonderful that these magnificent pieces are no longer gathering dust. So many royal jewels have disappeared completely and it is a crying shame. The jewels are one of the best things about "following" royalty. We haven't seen a good part of the queen mum's collection for years and years, not to mention Queen Alexandra and Queen Mary. I'd love to see the Ruby parure the Queen Mum used to wear with the Indian tiara and what about all the jewels Queen Mary "bought" from Grand Duchess Xenia that belonged to Empress Marie?

Load it on Camilla! I'd love to see her rigged up like Queen Mary used to be with 3 chokers and 10 necklaces!

The emerald pin exquisite. Art Deco design so presumbly from years ago.

IMO to wear spectacular jewels is not her style. She shows so less as possible, but selected pieces. And of course she has her favourites (Charles`coat of arms, the snake necklace, some pearl necklaces, her wedding earrings...)

Tiara!

We've been looking for a decent pic of the tiara Camilla wore at her wedding and at a Buckingham Palace function late last year. Now that her daughter Laura has worn it to her own wedding, we have better pics.

courtesy Getty Images & Tamara at GREMB

The Cubitt (now Shand) Tiara

351355ad.jpg

It's rather stunning. Thankyou Warren.

Does the tiara belong exclusively to the Duchess? Or is it a part of the Queen's collection?

kerry said:
Does the tiara belong exclusively to the Duchess? Or is it a part of the Queen's collection?
It's the family tiara owned by either Camilla or her brother, and if the latter, it's borrowed as required.

kerry said:

It has never been part of the Queens collection, it is privately owned by the Shand family.:)

Thanks Skydragon. I didn't know and didn't want to think that the Duchess would loan out a tiara that belonged to the royal family. But I should know better than to think Camilla would do something so tacky. Common sense momentarily left me for a second.:eek:

Nontheless, I think the tiara is lovely.:)

Camilla loaned her first wedding tiara, the Cubbit now Shand tiara to her daughter Laura for her wedding. This looks like a converted necklace, does anyone else know if it was a necklace at one time?

Last edited by a moderator:
Camill's tiara

I have a question. The tiara that Camilla wore at her wedding is a family possesion. Is it a family heirloom or is it a recent purchase? Also does Camilla have royalty in her family background who wore this? It is such a pretty piece but after looking ,and drooling, I might add, at all of her jewels, this one has me stumped as to where it originated from.

Years ago, King Edward 8th (the Duke of Windsor) gave Wallis Simpson jewellery that was passed down that was supposed to go to the next queen. Wallis kept this jewellery, but some of it was stolen. The rumour at the time was "someone in England" arranged this heist to get the jewels back into royal hands. My question is, has any of the jewellery shown up yet, and if so, will it go to Camilla even though she won't be queen?

Edward VIII never gave Wallis any jewels that belonged to the Crown Collection. As Prince of Wales, he received many priceless uncut rubies, emeralds, sapphires and diamonds over the years from the Indian princes during his tours of the Raj. These were utilized to create many pieces of jewelry for Wallis, mostly by Cartier, and later Van Cleef & Arpels.

He also purchased a number of pieces in the 50's from Harry Winston for Wallis.

I heard a few years ago that Wallis's jewells were auctioned off at Christie's after her death by her relatives.

vinjan said:
I have a question. The tiara that Camilla wore at her wedding is a family possesion. Is it a family heirloom or is it a recent purchase? Also does Camilla have royalty in her family background who wore this? It is such a pretty piece but after looking ,and drooling, I might add, at all of her jewels, this one has me stumped as to where it originated from.

In my knowledge it is a piece of the Cubbits, her grandmother. And she is the (grand?)daughter of Alice Keppel, the king´s mitstress. Alice Keppel had a lot of jewelry. May be it is from there.

Do you think this tiara, the earrings, and the snake in the grass necklace are part of a mini parure. The necklace and earings match and the earings and tiara match so It got me wondering.

Princejohnny25 said:
Do you think this tiara, the earrings, and the snake in the grass necklace are part of a mini parure. The necklace and earings match and the earings and tiara match so It got me wondering.

I thought Camilla's wedding earrings were from Charles as a wedding present because I had never seen her wear them before. But I could be wrong. Does anyone know?

Also I thought her snake necklace was also a present from Charles.??

hornsen said:
In my knowledge it is a piece of the Cubbits, her grandmother. And she is the (grand?)daughter of Alice Keppel, the king´s mitstress. Alice Keppel had a lot of jewelry. May be it is from there.

This was my first thought when I found out it is a Shand tiara. Maybe King Edward VII gave the ?original? necklace (?) to Alice Keppel and she or a descendent had it made into the tiara that it is now. That is so neat that Camilla wore it as a bride and now Laura has done the same. Maybe Camilla's mother also wore it for her wedding?

hornsen said:
In my knowledge it is a piece of the Cubbits, her grandmother. And she is the (grand?)daughter of Alice Keppel, the king´s mistress. Alice Keppel had a lot of jewelry. May be it is from there.

She is the Great Grandaughter of Alice Keppel. One tiara that was given to Alice by King Edward VII, was purchased for Camilla by Charles and made into a necklace.

One of her Gt. Gt Grandfathers was Sir William Edmonstone (4th Boronet) and Roland Cubitt who was 3rd Baron Ashcombe, so it is feasible that she has inherited some jewls from them!

Skydragon said:
She is the Great Grandaughter of Alice Keppel. One tiara that was given to Alice by King Edward VII, was purchased for Camilla by Charles and made into a necklace.

One of her Gt. Gt Grandfathers was Sir William Edmonstone (4th Boronet) and Roland Cubitt who was 3rd Baron Ashcombe, so it is feasible that she has inherited some jewls from them!

Was Alice Keppel daughter of Lord Ashcombe? I think she married a man named Keppel, is that correct?

HRHAmy said:
Camilla loaned her first wedding tiara, the Cubbit now Shand tiara to her daughter Laura for her wedding. This looks like a converted necklace, does anyone else know if it was a necklace at one time?

and if it is a necklace converted into a tiara, can it stil be worn as a necklace?

Last edited by a moderator:
auntie said:
I heard a few years ago that Wallis's jewells were auctioned off at Christie's after her death by her relatives.

The Duchess died in 1986 and left no immediate survivors. Her estate was left to the Pasteur Medical Institute in France, which received approximately $40 million for the sale of her jewelry collection.

The remaining possessions, mainly the contents of their mansion in Paris, were purchased by Mr. Al-Fayed when he took over the lease.

I noticed that at the beginning of part two of this discussion, it was suggested that the Duchess might have Queen Mary's Loop Tiara available to her. I was wondering if anyone had any information about this tiara, as it has been much speculated that the Loop Tiara was dismantled to create another (perhaps it was the Durbar Tiara?).

There's been a lot of speculation about the faith of both the Dunbar and the loop tiara.
The Dunbar tiara reappeared at an exhibition a couple of years ago, but the loop tiara seems to be known only from an old photograph of Queen Mary wearing it. So noone really know if it still exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom