Duchess of Cambridge Jewels 3: January 2016 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^^^ They certainly do look over the top and showy for a daytime engagement and do not suit her ensemble at all. It is an incredible mis-step to wear part of a demi-parure with daywear. Very unlike Catherine. And okay, it is not one of my favourite pieces either.

Whilst I may not always appreciate HRH's style , I cannot agree that it is an " incredible mis-step ", to wear part of a demi-parure with daywear . One only has to look at the daywear paring of truly historic jewel's of HM Queen Maxima to know that it can be both appropriate , and stylish . I could wish that perhaps HRH ,had access to a ruby version of one of her Sapphire earing set's , rather than this very " modern" set , { very UAE in style }. However kudos to her for venturing out of her usual box .

^^^^^ They certainly do look over the top and showy for a daytime engagement and do not suit her ensemble at all. It is an incredible mis-step to wear part of a demi-parure with daywear. Very unlike Catherine. And okay, it is not one of my favourite pieces either.

Whilst I may not always appreciate HRH's style , I cannot agree that it is an " incredible mis-step ", to wear part of a demi-parure with daywear . One only has to look at the daywear paring of truly historic jewel's of HM Queen Maxima to know that it can be both appropriate , and stylish . I could wish that perhaps HRH ,had access to a ruby version of one of her Sapphire earing set's , rather than this very " modern" set , { very UAE in style }. However kudos to her for venturing out of her usual box .

I presume these comments relate to the earrings that Catherine wore to the Commonwealth Day Service in March 2020.

I am not a fan of mixing dressy evening earrings for day wear. For example, I thought Maxima's use of the very large pendant diamond earrings using diamonds from the Stuart Tiara for Royal Ascot was not suitable, and over the top.

https://www.google.com/search?q=que...biw=1280&bih=578&dpr=1.5#imgrc=ihiwqMW6_scAzM

However, IMO, the ruby and diamond earrings that Catherine wore to the Commonweath Day service were perfectly suitable for a "dressy" day event. The rubies and diamonds used in the earrings are actually quite small, and while there is a long "dangly" bit, they are quite discrete.

Last edited:
However, IMO, the ruby and diamond earrings that Catherine wore to the Commonweath Day service were perfectly suitable for a "dressy" day event. The rubies and diamonds used in the earrings are actually quite small, and while there is a long "dangly" bit, they are quite discrete.

Yes they are quite discreet and I'm happy that she did wear something other than her usual choices for the event.

I agree. But the thing that we all forget, if the Queen wants one of her family to wear one of her pieces of jewelry or even the Crown Jewelry, you don't say no thank you, you honor her wishes for what ever her reason, and wear them. I remember Diana commenting on this very subject many years ago when as a young lady she was asked about different pieces she wore at formal events. I always remember that when I notice. Catherine wore the Queen's pearl necklace today at Prince Philip's funeral. I am sure it was at the Queen's request. Catherine is not the type to bother the Queen at a time like this about a necklace. JMO

I agree. But the thing that we all forget, if the Queen wants one of her family to wear one of her pieces of jewelry or even the Crown Jewelry, you don't say no thank you, you honor her wishes for what ever her reason, and wear them. I remember Diana commenting on this very subject many years ago when as a young lady she was asked about different pieces she wore at formal events. I always remember that when I notice. Catherine wore the Queen's pearl necklace today at Prince Philip's funeral. I am sure it was at the Queen's request. Catherine is not the type to bother the Queen at a time like this about a necklace. JMO

@Winnie: You appear to have referenced a post by @MARG in Feb 2021, referring to earrings the Duchess wore in March 2020 for the Commonwealth Service. It does not relate to the Japanese pearl choker.

Yes, that was a misplaced reference. I thought the DOC looked beautiful and impeccable today in every way. I love the choker, I always love diamonds and pearls and diamond and earrings. HM wore a diamond and pearl brooch.

@Winnie: You appear to have referenced a post by @MARG in Feb 2021, referring to earrings the Duchess wore in March 2020 for the Commonwealth Service. It does not relate to the Japanese pearl choker.

Actually what I was trying to point out was that even though we might not like a piece of jewelry that is worn for an occasion or with an outfit, if it is part of the Queen 's personal or Royal collection and the Queen asks a family member to wear, they do out of respect. People were saying they did not like the earrings the Duchess wore for the Commonwealth Service. I believe she probably was not given a choice. The same as today's pearl choker. The Queen usually has a reason for her decision. Maybe due to which country or person presented the article to her. It shows acknowledgement to that country or person. JMO

I am personally not a great fan of chokers (nor this specific one) but it must have meaning to the Queen. The fact that Catherine wore it to their 70th wedding anniversary might be the reason/one of the reasons she liked Catherine to wear it again today.

According to Vogue the earrings she wore with it were wedding gifts to the queen for her marriage to the one they were mourning today. So, they were also loaned by the queen.

The explanation of Catherine's jewelry at her grandfather-in-law's service

I am fairly sure the earrings are the Bahrain earrings, a gift to the Queen. I thought Catherine looked stunning.

I am fairly sure the earrings are the Bahrain earrings, a gift to the Queen. I thought Catherine looked stunning.

You are correct, they are, indeed, the Bahrain earrings.

The sapphire clasp is particularly stunning, but I don't have the impression that chokers are among Kate's favorite styles for necklaces. And also she seems to avoid wearing too many jewels with a Diana connection. She wears Queen Mary's lover's knot tiara and the engagement ring. But she only rarely digs out other pieces of Diana's jewels, so I don't think that we'll soon see her with that sapphire choker.

The sapphire clasp is particularly stunning, but I don't have the impression that chokers are among Kate's favorite styles for necklaces. And also she seems to avoid wearing too many jewels with a Diana connection. She wears Queen Mary's lover's knot tiara and the engagement ring. But she only rarely digs out other pieces of Diana's jewels, so I don't think that we'll soon see her with that sapphire choker.

The sapphire clasp is indeed stunning.

I think the reason you rarely see Kate and other younger royals in pearl chokers is because pearls have not been seen to be fashionable for some time. I am sure this, no doubt, will change in a few years time when pearls will be back in fashion.

Would be nice if she starts following the Queen's example and starts to wear Pearls for Event's like Trooping or the Remembrance Day Services. Doesn't need to be three row-pearl necklaces could also be one with a single strand

Would be nice if she starts following the Queen's example and starts to wear Pearls for Event's like Trooping or the Remembrance Day Services. Doesn't need to be three row-pearl necklaces could also be one with a single strand

Possibly. I think Catherine is increasingly comfortable in her royal role, so you may well see her experiment a lot more with royal jewellery, when the occasion allows.

Possibly. I think Catherine is increasingly comfortable in her royal role, so you may well see her experiment a lot more with royal jewellery, when the occasion allows.

I'm thinking the same so hopefully we'll see the duchess wearing more and more of the Windsor gems in the future.

While I dislike the coat, the earrings go so well with it (the blue and gold).

I thought this was quite a brave move for Kate to pair these earrings with the tartan coat. For me it worked and ‘lifted’ the engagement to a more evening night out vibe .

Gorgeous earrings and is it the 1st time we've seen the duchess wearing them?

Gorgeous earrings and is it the 1st time we've seen the duchess wearing them?

Yes, it is the first time. What is more surprising is that the Queen has been wearing the Dubai sapphire demi-parure from time to time, and she rarely shares jewellery she is still using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom