Duchess of Cambridge Jewels 3: January 2016 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thank you for that link. One comment was that maybe Kate dismantled the necklace to make the ruby earrings.
Also, there were photos of her with costume sapphire earrings with the blue gown at the place to be event. I hadn’t seen them as they were hidden in her hair in the pictures I saw
They are awful

While the demi pasture earrings are quite sweet, I can't see them ruining a necklace to make them. Even if they are more "starter" earrings and would look wonderful on Charlotte one day, they are definitely evenwear.

As to the simulated blue things, the are nasty, looking rigid and having no movement to them. Why waste the money on second rate that when you have perfectly beautiful earrings in your own collection and access to HM private collection should she care to ask.

While the demi pasture earrings are quite sweet, I can't see them ruining a necklace to make them. Even if they are more "starter" earrings and would look wonderful on Charlotte one day, they are definitely evenwear.

I have no doubt the earrings were a part of the demi parure and the necklace was not altered to extract the stones for the earrings.

That said, I am not a fan of the demi-parure. Neither the rubies or the diamonds are of a meaningful size, and the settings are hardly unique in any way.

As to the simulated blue things, the are nasty, looking rigid and having no movement to them. Why waste the money on second rate that when you have perfectly beautiful earrings in your own collection and access to HM private collection should she care to ask.

I agree, little point in buying costume earrings when she has access to great sapphire and diamond jewellery. The QEQM's sapphire and diamond fringe earrings would have worked well with the dress.

When I first saw the faux blue and pearl earrings, I thought they looked interesting. However, it wasn't a great picture and they were hidden in her hair which for once was an advantage. Once they were identified I thought they were ugly. As I said on her fashion thread, that dress deserved better. The earrings just re-enforce my feeling that Kate is clueless when I comes to jewelry. She buys a lot of overpriced stuff that I doubt will hold their value. She mixes pieces from the vault that don't go together and makes them look like costume pieces. I shutter to think what will happen when she has more access to the vault. i wonder if she is waiting to wear more of Diana's jewels once she becomes Princess of Wales.

I agree, little point in buying costume earrings when she has access to great sapphire and diamond jewellery. The QEQM's sapphire and diamond fringe earrings would have worked well with the dress.
I agree. The Queen's collection of jewels isn't seen enough so I wish she'd wear the things she has access to more often (including Diana's jewels).

Personally, I'm not a fan of costume jewellery that is 'fake' something. Where budget is a factor, I'd rather have real silver than fake gold, real semi-precious gemstones over fake precious ones.

I really don't care for the Erdem earrings. As others have noted, the design itself is awkward, and that effect is doubled when the earrings are tangled in Catherine's hair. Perhaps they would have looked better with an updo, but I still wouldn't have liked the design much.

In general, I have no objection to costume jewelry if it's well done, and it can be a fun way to experiment. I tend to prefer real gold, silver, platinum, and real gemstones, but some of Catherine's costume jewelry has been very nice.

Last edited:
Let's keep in mind that Kate is probably gifted with a great deal of jewelry, which she then might feel obligated to wear on occasion.
(For example, I wouldn't be surprised if the Erdem earrings were a birthday present.)

And the ruby earrings probably go with that necklace she wore earlier. At the time it was mentioned that it was a wedding gift.

Yes, I think the above point is a very pertinent one. I imagine she received many gifts of jewellery as a ‘starter’ royal and is some cases there are significant reasons why a particular item is worn for an engagement. I think there is a good mix of jewels from the Duchess in recent years and I have liked some of her costume jewellery she has worn, particularly on overseas tours.

Somehow I don't see the Duchess of Cambridge receiving costume jewellery as a weeing gift.

Somehow I don't see the Duchess of Cambridge receiving costume jewellery as a weeing gift.

The Erdem earrings were quite expensive.
Since Kate is known to like Erdem, it wouldn't surprise me if someone gave her a pair as a gift (though not necessarily a wedding gift).
After all, what would be a suitable gift for the Duchess of Cambridge, if you're not a billionaire?

The ruby earrings and necklace (the wedding gift) are probably authentic.

Last edited:
Perhaps with everyone on extended down time, some of the super sleuths (not meant as an insult) on the forum can locate pictures of the jeweled hair pins in QEII’s jewel vault that would look great on DoC. Wish they were dusted off and used on her. Unless they have been repurposed in other pieces.

Hair hair needed to be up for the Erdem earrings, didn't like them.

I don't think Catherine knows how to mix and match her jewellery so that each piece enhances the other. The first time she wore the ruby necklace her hair was well and truly tangled in it and the earrings were a totally different style and size. Both were beautiful but not together. Just as the dainty ruby earrings were not shown to good effect against her ensemble.

I don't think Catherine knows how to mix and match her jewellery so that each piece enhances the other. The first time she wore the ruby necklace her hair was well and truly tangled in it and the earrings were a totally different style and size. Both were beautiful but not together. Just as the dainty ruby earrings were not shown to good effect against her ensemble.

Are you referring to the Ruby and Diamond necklace worn at the Sun Military Awards in 2011, with the black velvet gown? Has that necklace been worn since in public? I thought only the earrings from that demi-parure were used in March this year.

I’m not sure if we’ve seen it either. It’s a beautiful piece of jewelry.

It has been suggested it is also mad from Diana's sapphires like the earrings she was wearing - I'm not entirely convinced

Not am I!

Just as I am not at all convinced that Catherine's sapphire and diamond pendant earrings are modified versions of Diana's sapphire and diamond earrings.

I am not sure about the earrings but, it seems a bit pointless to go out and buy essentially the same earrings when a simple alteration would have produced the same thing.

I am not sure about the earrings but, it seems a bit pointless to go out and buy essentially the same earrings when a simple alteration would have produced the same thing.

We do not quite know what came of Diana's sapphire and diamond earrings: where they official gifts, and therefore, part of the Royal Collection; did they end up with Catherine, or Meghan?

Meghan wasn't around when Catherine first wore her sapphire cluster earrings.

Meghan wasn't around when Catherine first wore her sapphire cluster earrings.

No she was not, but barring the ring, I do not think Catherine wore any significant piece of jewellery belonging to Diana till Meghan was on the scene.

I would not include the Queen Mary's Lovers Knot tiara in the same category as the tiara is owned by the Queen.

We do not quite know what came of Diana's sapphire and diamond earrings: where they official gifts, and therefore, part of the Royal Collection; did they end up with Catherine, or Meghan?

Possibly Catherine has received gifts over the years to co ordinate with her ring.

To my knowledge Duchess Catherine has not worn the Saudi sapphires in public. Thus, I wonder if the Queen has kept the Saudi sapphires as being state presents that eventually go to the Crown like the stuff bequeathed by Queen Victoria and the Queen Mary ruby earrings. It may be that all state-given presents will go the the Crown from now on and will not be owned privately by the royal family.
I would love to see Duchess Catherine wearing the Saudi sapphires.

The only jewels of Diana's that went back to the Queen were those from her personal collection such as the Cambridge lovers Knot tiara. All the wedding gifts and those given on tour were Charles and hers.

The government decision for gifts acquired going into the Royal Collection did not come into force until some time after her death. Thus they were left to William and Harry for their eventual wives.

Commonwealth Day Jewels 2020 | The Court Jeweller

hmmmm hmmmm so - 1 point for the outing of new earrings - but they are not really the best design for her to be honest. 1 additional point for the rubies - something definitely different from her ususal sapphires but again..... I really try hard to like them but ..... Let's agree - good try but let#s move on...

Seems like an odd choice for the event and style she is wearing, but maybe they are one of her favorites.

LaRae

Seems like an odd choice for the event and style she is wearing, but maybe they are one of her favorites.

LaRae

Yes. She's got emerald earrings as well and they would have matched the coat. These earrings look a bit over the top for the event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom