The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-17-2021, 12:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
I agree. But the thing that we all forget, if the Queen wants one of her family to wear one of her pieces of jewelry or even the Crown Jewelry, you don't say no thank you, you honor her wishes for what ever her reason, and wear them. I remember Diana commenting on this very subject many years ago when as a young lady she was asked about different pieces she wore at formal events. I always remember that when I notice. Catherine wore the Queen's pearl necklace today at Prince Philip's funeral. I am sure it was at the Queen's request. Catherine is not the type to bother the Queen at a time like this about a necklace. JMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
^^^^^ They certainly do look over the top and showy for a daytime engagement and do not suit her ensemble at all. It is an incredible mis-step to wear part of a demi-parure with daywear. Very unlike Catherine. And okay, it is not one of my favourite pieces either.
@Winnie: You appear to have referenced a post by @MARG in Feb 2021, referring to earrings the Duchess wore in March 2020 for the Commonwealth Service. It does not relate to the Japanese pearl choker.

Old 04-17-2021, 12:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, that was a misplaced reference. I thought the DOC looked beautiful and impeccable today in every way. I love the choker, I always love diamonds and pearls and diamond and earrings. HM wore a diamond and pearl brooch.

Old 04-17-2021, 12:28 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
@Winnie: You appear to have referenced a post by @MARG in Feb 2021, referring to earrings the Duchess wore in March 2020 for the Commonwealth Service. It does not relate to the Japanese pearl choker.
Actually what I was trying to point out was that even though we might not like a piece of jewelry that is worn for an occasion or with an outfit, if it is part of the Queen 's personal or Royal collection and the Queen asks a family member to wear, they do out of respect. People were saying they did not like the earrings the Duchess wore for the Commonwealth Service. I believe she probably was not given a choice. The same as today's pearl choker. The Queen usually has a reason for her decision. Maybe due to which country or person presented the article to her. It shows acknowledgement to that country or person. JMO
Old 04-17-2021, 02:07 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
The Duchess of Cambridge is wearing the Japanese Pearl Choker at the funeral of The Duke of Edinburgh previously worn by Diana, Princess of Wales and Her Majesty The Queen.

It’s a beautiful piece of jewelry.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:32 PM
Majesty

I am personally not a great fan of chokers (nor this specific one) but it must have meaning to the Queen. The fact that Catherine wore it to their 70th wedding anniversary might be the reason/one of the reasons she liked Catherine to wear it again today.

According to Vogue the earrings she wore with it were wedding gifts to the queen for her marriage to the one they were mourning today. So, they were also loaned by the queen.
Old 04-18-2021, 07:56 PM
Majesty

The explanation of Catherine's jewelry at her grandfather-in-law's service
Old 04-18-2021, 11:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

I am fairly sure the earrings are the Bahrain earrings, a gift to the Queen. I thought Catherine looked stunning.
Old 04-19-2021, 02:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
I am fairly sure the earrings are the Bahrain earrings, a gift to the Queen. I thought Catherine looked stunning.
You are correct, they are, indeed, the Bahrain earrings.
Old 04-20-2021, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The British Royal Ladies have the best collection of Pearl choker necklaces and I wonder if we will ever see the duchess wearing the sapphire and diamond choker of the late Princess of Wales?

Princess Diana's Sapphire and Pearl Choker Necklace | The Court Jeweller
Old 04-20-2021, 04:28 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
The British Royal Ladies have the best collection of Pearl choker necklaces and I wonder if we will ever see the duchess wearing the sapphire and diamond choker of the late Princess of Wales?

Princess Diana's Sapphire and Pearl Choker Necklace | The Court Jeweller
I really hope that she will wear that choker at some point in the future. It would look stunning on her.
Old 04-21-2021, 04:55 AM
Super Moderator

The sapphire clasp is particularly stunning, but I don't have the impression that chokers are among Kate's favorite styles for necklaces. And also she seems to avoid wearing too many jewels with a Diana connection. She wears Queen Mary's lover's knot tiara and the engagement ring. But she only rarely digs out other pieces of Diana's jewels, so I don't think that we'll soon see her with that sapphire choker.
Old 04-21-2021, 05:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
The sapphire clasp is particularly stunning, but I don't have the impression that chokers are among Kate's favorite styles for necklaces. And also she seems to avoid wearing too many jewels with a Diana connection. She wears Queen Mary's lover's knot tiara and the engagement ring. But she only rarely digs out other pieces of Diana's jewels, so I don't think that we'll soon see her with that sapphire choker.
The sapphire clasp is indeed stunning.

I think the reason you rarely see Kate and other younger royals in pearl chokers is because pearls have not been seen to be fashionable for some time. I am sure this, no doubt, will change in a few years time when pearls will be back in fashion.
Old 04-21-2021, 05:05 AM
Super Moderator

Would be nice if she starts following the Queen's example and starts to wear Pearls for Event's like Trooping or the Remembrance Day Services. Doesn't need to be three row-pearl necklaces could also be one with a single strand

Old 04-21-2021, 05:08 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Would be nice if she starts following the Queen's example and starts to wear Pearls for Event's like Trooping or the Remembrance Day Services. Doesn't need to be three row-pearl necklaces could also be one with a single strand
Possibly. I think Catherine is increasingly comfortable in her royal role, so you may well see her experiment a lot more with royal jewellery, when the occasion allows.
Old 04-21-2021, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Possibly. I think Catherine is increasingly comfortable in her royal role, so you may well see her experiment a lot more with royal jewellery, when the occasion allows.
I'm thinking the same so hopefully we'll see the duchess wearing more and more of the Windsor gems in the future.