The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-31-2020, 08:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I am not sure about the earrings but, it seems a bit pointless to go out and buy essentially the same earrings when a simple alteration would have produced the same thing.
We do not quite know what came of Diana's sapphire and diamond earrings: where they official gifts, and therefore, part of the Royal Collection; did they end up with Catherine, or Meghan?

Old 11-03-2020, 09:45 AM
Majesty

Meghan wasn't around when Catherine first wore her sapphire cluster earrings.

Old 11-03-2020, 09:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Meghan wasn't around when Catherine first wore her sapphire cluster earrings.
No she was not, but barring the ring, I do not think Catherine wore any significant piece of jewellery belonging to Diana till Meghan was on the scene.

I would not include the Queen Mary's Lovers Knot tiara in the same category as the tiara is owned by the Queen.
Old 11-03-2020, 06:28 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
We do not quite know what came of Diana's sapphire and diamond earrings: where they official gifts, and therefore, part of the Royal Collection; did they end up with Catherine, or Meghan?
Possibly Catherine has received gifts over the years to co ordinate with her ring.
Old 11-03-2020, 07:00 PM
Nobility

To my knowledge Duchess Catherine has not worn the Saudi sapphires in public. Thus, I wonder if the Queen has kept the Saudi sapphires as being state presents that eventually go to the Crown like the stuff bequeathed by Queen Victoria and the Queen Mary ruby earrings. It may be that all state-given presents will go the the Crown from now on and will not be owned privately by the royal family.
I would love to see Duchess Catherine wearing the Saudi sapphires.
Old 11-03-2020, 10:38 PM
Majesty

The only jewels of Diana's that went back to the Queen were those from her personal collection such as the Cambridge lovers Knot tiara. All the wedding gifts and those given on tour were Charles and hers.

The government decision for gifts acquired going into the Royal Collection did not come into force until some time after her death. Thus they were left to William and Harry for their eventual wives.
Old 12-08-2020, 01:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Duchess of Cambridge is wearing Queen's earrings tonight in Windsor Castle

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIi8L9_HVbh/
Old 12-08-2020, 03:21 PM
Courtier

Commonwealth Day Jewels 2020 | The Court Jeweller

hmmmm hmmmm so - 1 point for the outing of new earrings - but they are not really the best design for her to be honest. 1 additional point for the rubies - something definitely different from her ususal sapphires but again..... I really try hard to like them but ..... Let's agree - good try but let#s move on...
Old 12-08-2020, 04:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Seems like an odd choice for the event and style she is wearing, but maybe they are one of her favorites.

LaRae
Old 12-09-2020, 08:39 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Seems like an odd choice for the event and style she is wearing, but maybe they are one of her favorites.

LaRae
Yes. She's got emerald earrings as well and they would have matched the coat. These earrings look a bit over the top for the event.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:44 AM
Majesty

^^^^^ They certainly do look over the top and showy for a daytime engagement and do not suit her ensemble at all. It is an incredible mis-step to wear part of a demi-parure with daywear. Very unlike Catherine. And okay, it is not one of my favourite pieces either.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:19 AM
Aristocracy

Whilst I may not always appreciate HRH's style , I cannot agree that it is an " incredible mis-step ", to wear part of a demi-parure with daywear . One only has to look at the daywear paring of truly historic jewel's of HM Queen Maxima to know that it can be both appropriate , and stylish . I could wish that perhaps HRH ,had access to a ruby version of one of her Sapphire earing set's , rather than this very " modern" set , { very UAE in style }. However kudos to her for venturing out of her usual box .
Old 02-25-2021, 06:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
^^^^^ They certainly do look over the top and showy for a daytime engagement and do not suit her ensemble at all. It is an incredible mis-step to wear part of a demi-parure with daywear. Very unlike Catherine. And okay, it is not one of my favourite pieces either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabaunty View Post
Whilst I may not always appreciate HRH's style , I cannot agree that it is an " incredible mis-step ", to wear part of a demi-parure with daywear . One only has to look at the daywear paring of truly historic jewel's of HM Queen Maxima to know that it can be both appropriate , and stylish . I could wish that perhaps HRH ,had access to a ruby version of one of her Sapphire earing set's , rather than this very " modern" set , { very UAE in style }. However kudos to her for venturing out of her usual box .
I presume these comments relate to the earrings that Catherine wore to the Commonwealth Day Service in March 2020.

I am not a fan of mixing dressy evening earrings for day wear. For example, I thought Maxima's use of the very large pendant diamond earrings using diamonds from the Stuart Tiara for Royal Ascot was not suitable, and over the top.

https://www.google.com/search?q=quee...ihiwqMW6_scAzM

However, IMO, the ruby and diamond earrings that Catherine wore to the Commonweath Day service were perfectly suitable for a "dressy" day event. The rubies and diamonds used in the earrings are actually quite small, and while there is a long "dangly" bit, they are quite discrete.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
However, IMO, the ruby and diamond earrings that Catherine wore to the Commonweath Day service were perfectly suitable for a "dressy" day event. The rubies and diamonds used in the earrings are actually quite small, and while there is a long "dangly" bit, they are quite discrete.

Yes they are quite discreet and I'm happy that she did wear something other than her usual choices for the event.
Old 04-17-2021, 08:52 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

The Duchess of Cambridge is wearing the Japanese Pearl Choker at the funeral of The Duke of Edinburgh previously worn by Diana, Princess of Wales and Her Majesty The Queen.
Old 04-17-2021, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
The Duchess of Cambridge is wearing the Japanese Pearl Choker at the funeral of The Duke of Edinburgh previously worn by Diana, Princess of Wales and Her Majesty The Queen.
Stunning I was wondering if Diana had worn it and wonderful to see the duchess wearing it today.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:28 AM
Heir Apparent

So nice to see it on kate I remember it well
Old 04-17-2021, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

I think the Duchess of Cambridge has worn this before, I recall seeing a photograph of her in a car, for perhaps a private party at Buckingham Palace.

Here it is:

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/st...-pearl-choker/
Old 04-17-2021, 11:18 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
I think the Duchess of Cambridge has worn this before, I recall seeing a photograph of her in a car, for perhaps a private party at Buckingham Palace.

Here it is:

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/st...-pearl-choker/
Yes, Catherine wore it for the 70th wedding anniversary party of the Queen and the DoE at Windsor in 2017.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:04 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I agree. But the thing that we all forget, if the Queen wants one of her family to wear one of her pieces of jewelry or even the Crown Jewelry, you don't say no thank you, you honor her wishes for what ever her reason, and wear them. I remember Diana commenting on this very subject many years ago when as a young lady she was asked about different pieces she wore at formal events. I always remember that when I notice. Catherine wore the Queen's pearl necklace today at Prince Philip's funeral. I am sure it was at the Queen's request. Catherine is not the type to bother the Queen at a time like this about a necklace. JMO