Duchess of Cambridge Jewels 3: January 2016 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt she would borrow it again. Very likely the set was purchased.

I doubt she would borrow it again. Very likely the set was purchased.

I agree; I'm sure it was a 'loan' to begin with. Natasha probably had it sent over to see if she would like it for the original event; happens with clothes all the time - once she wore it I am pretty sure it was purchased.

I also think there was a very specific message in her timing of wearing it again : she probably wanted to quash any rumours of the jewels being borrowed.

Last edited:
Tonight's evening had mixed styles. The men were in black tie. The women weren't in gowns.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

She is! How very odd. This is not a State Banquet, Red Carpet or formal evening occasion such as a Ball which would call for magnificent, historic, chandelier diamond earrings. HM is wearing her 'go to' pearl earrings.

It may be because the earrings were given to her (long term loaned, whatever) by the Queen almost immediately after her marriage. Possibly they were the Queen's wedding gift? Wearing them at her 90th birthday celebration may be a nod to their relationship.

I would certainly guess that they were a gift from HM, that would be the polite thing to do

All the people who were concerned about Kate's engagement ring during the Tiger Nest hike in Bhutan: She took the ring off during the sailing excursion with Sir Ben on the Solent. It was just wedding band and infinity ring.

Absolutely beautiful. But when you wear a necklace like that even more reason for an updo, to properly show off the beauty of the piece.

As for her engagement ring, No. Sorry, sapphires are my favorite stone, but I have never been a fan of hers. It seems more a 'flashy in your face' design then any kind of intricate style or work. The stone is lovely but it lacks any real craftsmanship. Far from my favorite royal engagement ring.

As for her engagement ring, No. Sorry, sapphires are my favorite stone, but I have never been a fan of hers. It seems more a 'flashy in your face' design then any kind of intricate style or work. The stone is lovely but it lacks any real craftsmanship. Far from my favorite royal engagement ring.

In fairness, this was Diana's choice rather than Kate's. We could speculate that given her general taste in jewellery that she might have chosen a less 'flashy' design, but this ring has so much personal, sentimental attachment for William, so Kate must be so happy to wear it She certainly wears her engagement ring pretty much all the time whereas some Royal ladies prefer not to.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

In fairness, this was Diana's choice rather than Kate's. We could speculate that given her general taste in jewellery that she might have chosen a less 'flashy' design, but this ring has so much personal, sentimental attachment for William, so Kate must be so happy to wear it She certainly wears her engagement ring pretty much all the time whereas some Royal ladies prefer not to.

The comment was not directed at Kate. It was a comment on the ring, not the wearer of it. Hated it as much on Diana as I do Kate. I guess I prefer smaller stones and design, to in your face bling. But considering a teenager in the 80's chose it, really not surprising.

Yes - we will never know what type of engagement ring she would have chosen. I've noticed she will wear her engagement ring to all official events, but when she's been photographed off-duty, 95% of the time she'll wear her wedding and eternity rings only.

Makes sense. That honking stone is not practical. Cant imagine playing with kids, or shopping and such with that stone. Its a show piece. Probably the reason for the eternity band, something for her to wear besides her wedding band, when she doesn't want the massive stone in her way.

Makes sense. That honking stone is not practical. Cant imagine playing with kids, or shopping and such with that stone. Its a show piece. Probably the reason for the eternity band, something for her to wear besides her wedding band, when she doesn't want the massive stone in her way.
My engagement ring has a 0.3ct diamond and I had to take it off because of my kids, shopping etc...her engagement ring, in everday life, would be a nuisance!

I actually like Catherine's engagement ring. I think a man really have to be really in love with a woman to give her a very personal piece of jewelry. William is a very wealthy man- he could've bought or designed any kind of ring for his future bride- but he went very deep and personal with giving her his mother's ring. That must have melted Catherine.

Now, I think she should get an impressive diamond and sapphire parure.

I'm not in love with Kate's ring, to be honest. I understand the feelings and emotions attached to it, but if my man gave me his deceased mother's ill-fated ring for a proposal after 10 years... well, let's say I wouldnt' be that pleased. But that's just how I would react. Kate was surely enthused by it, I could bet. Besides my personal opinion on the matter, I don't like colored stones for engagement rings in general, and I hope to see more bling bling for Kate in the future.

I think that deco bracelets suits her well.

In fairness, this famous ring was Diana's choice not Kate's and it's the sort of engagement ring an excited 19 year old would choose.

I find it fascinating how onlookers often have such definite thoughts on it. Some don't like its provenance and wouldn't wear it at any price, and others call it 'ring of doom' and fated, cursed etc, while on the other hand some think it was a lovely gesture by William to choose to give it. Its mixed history has certainly divided opinions.

I don't mind it, as my own engagement ring has a large sapphire (and two diamonds) though not so huge as that one, and I love coloured stones. I agree it's not a practical ring at all, though. It resembles a dress ring in size.

We do know what engagement ring Kate chose, she chose that one. If she had really felt uncomfortable about it, seeing how well that couple gets along and knows each other so well, she wouldn't have chosen it, or accepted it.

We do know what engagement ring Kate chose, she chose that one. If she had really felt uncomfortable about it, seeing how well that couple gets along and knows each other so well, she wouldn't have chosen it, or accepted it.

I didn't even suggested that. I actually think she was happy to get Diana's ring, more than ever. Mine was a personal consideration about how I would feel on that choice, nothing more or less.

I would say William discussed the ring with Kate before he proposed with it. They knew they were going to marry. If she had any strong objections to it he would of left it for Harry to use.

Now that necklace (Nizam) is stunning. What a great piece to be able to wear!

LaRae

Yes - we will never know what type of engagement ring she would have chosen. I've noticed she will wear her engagement ring to all official events, but when she's been photographed off-duty, 95% of the time she'll wear her wedding and eternity rings only.

I think 95% not wearing the engagement isn't accurate. She had it on at recent horse trials where it was a private event and not a guarantee picture opportunity. I can see if Kate is going to work out in London not wearing it. From the photos I have seen, she is wearing the engagement ring more than she isn't.

Yeah...I am trying to think of times I've seen pics of her without the ring (I always look for it in pics) and other than a couple times where she was working (hospital event once and a couple weeks ago when she was sailing)...she has it on. Even back when they were in Wales still and she was doing the local errands I seem to remember her wearing it.

LaRae

I've also been struck how often she wears it. I would think the tally would far outweigh the times she is seen without it including when she is 'off duty'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom