Duchess of Cambridge Jewels 3: January 2016 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's too bad she doesn't wear it on her right hand so it can be seen better...but I'm sure she isn't worried about us seeing it or not <G>

LaRae

I though an eternity ring was supposed to be worn on the same hand/finger as the wedding and engagement rings. Why would she wear it on her right hand?

I don't know...why do some folks wear their wedding rings on their right hands? It's more common overseas ...here it's not done.

LaRae

It's too bad she doesn't wear it on her right hand so it can be seen better...but I'm sure she isn't worried about us seeing it or not <G>

LaRae

I wear mine on the same finger with my engagement and wedding rings--that's fairly standard AFAIK
I thought she got her ring for her birthday in 2014-that's about when she started wearing it

Its a very thin eternity band she wears, and has for some time. Its source is unknown, but it is speculated that it is from William.

I remember it being identified - here's the source: https://whatkatewore.com/2014/05/20...tified-scotland-engagements-final-tour-polls/
I have seen pics, where she was shopping where she was wearing only her wedding band and eternity ring. I can understand because her engagement ring is huge and would get in the way fro everyday use.

I wear mine on the same finger with my engagement and wedding rings--that's fairly standard AFAIK
I thought she got her ring for her birthday in 2014-that's about when she started wearing it

I wear my wedding band, engagement ring and eternity band like Kate - I think that is how it's traditionally worn.

Diana had an Eternity Ring. Sometimes she wore it on her right hand and sometimes she wore with her other rings on left hand.

I don't understand why Kate's wedding ring is yellow gold, when her engagement ring and that eternity ring are both white gold!
Why not have them all the same?

(Maybe it's me, but I don't like mixing the color of the metals).

The band is made from Welsh gold that all the BRF brides (since at least the Duke/Duchess of York married...speaking of the parents of QEII) have a ring made from (I assume Diana's is with the boys)..so it's yellow. Perhaps Kate's personal preference is white gold hence the others being that color.

LaRae

The wedding band is made of Welsh gold. There isn't much of it left but all the royal wedding rings are made of it.

Traditionally in the Uk, eternity rings were given for the first anniversary. Order on wedding finger is (from the base up - wedding ring, eternity ring, engagement ring. But these days those traditions are v flexible and more dependent on the comfort factor of the size and shape of the rings.

The band is made from Welsh gold that all the BRF brides (since at least the Duke/Duchess of York married...speaking of the parents of QEII) have a ring made from (I assume Diana's is with the boys)..so it's yellow. Perhaps Kate's personal preference is white gold hence the others being that color.

LaRae

Her engagement ring is either white gold or platinum since it was Diana's and wasn't altered, so I'm guessing not a choice. Kate wears earrings in both colors, not sure either color dominates to assume a preference.

The wedding band is made of Welsh gold. There isn't much of it left but all the royal wedding rings are made of it.

Traditionally in the Uk, eternity rings were given for the first anniversary. Order on wedding finger is (from the base up - wedding ring, eternity ring, engagement ring. But these days those traditions are v flexible and more dependent on the comfort factor of the size and shape of the rings.

From photos I've seen, it appears Kate wears her wedding ring first, (closest to her palm) engagement ring second, and lastly her eternity band.
I wear my eternity ring first, wedding ring second and engagement ring last.
Like cepe said, it is pretty flexible these days how you wear your rings.

Seeing the rings up close like that, and one cannot help but notice what a 'clunker' (meaning big as in unwieldy) that engagement ring really is. :huh: I recall reading someone's opinion as to why Diana picked it out from the tray of rings. It's really not 'the best' she could have done, but it was likely the biggest ring and would have attracted a teenager's attention. According to this person, the choice of ring was a function of her youth. I can see that.

If I were Kate (which I'm not ;) ) I'd have that ring re-set, possibly even re-cut. There are so many more beautiful ways that ring could look and blend with her other rings and her everyday life. JMO.

Last edited:
Love the blue topaz earrings, she looks great in them

Agree. :flowers: I took someone's hint and looked up the jeweler: https://kiki.co.uk She does lovely work, and I, too, was 'drooling'. (I am finding as I age I am acquiring an appreciation of jewelry. Even just a few years ago I couldn't be bothered with jewels. Now I am coming to like the sparkly things. Wonder what that's a function of?) ;)

Last edited:
From photos I've seen, it appears Kate wears her wedding ring first, (closest to her palm) engagement ring second, and lastly her eternity band.

I think because Kate’s engagement ring is so huge and ungainly, she uses the eternity band as a security to keep it in place.

Seeing the rings up close like that, and one cannot help but notice what a 'clunker' (meaning big as in unwieldy) that engagement ring really is. :huh: I recall reading someone's opinion as to why Diana picked it out from the tray of rings. It's really not 'the best' she could have done, but it was likely the biggest ring and would have attracted a teenager's attention. According to this person, the choice of ring was a function of her youth. I can see that.

If I were Kate (which I'm not ;) ) I'd have that ring re-set, possibly even re-cut. There are so many more beautiful ways that ring could look and blend with her other rings and her everyday life. JMO.

I agree that ring is rather large. I imagine she doesn't wear it to play with her children around the house. But oh my, what a fuss there would be if she had it recut and reset. And it might hurt William's feelings.

I still get chocked up when I think about William giving Catherine his mums ring. Meant the world to him and Catherine. Lots of deep love involved. It’s stunning on her finger too!

I agree that ring is rather large. I imagine she doesn't wear it to play with her children around the house. But oh my, what a fuss there would be if she had it recut and reset. And it might hurt William's feelings.

I just had a conversation with my husband about this, and his view is that an engagement ring should please the woman one is marrying. Full stop. :flowers: I liked that answer. ;) It may be that the ring pleases Kate just as it is, and if so, she should do nothing, of course. But my hubby also said that he would never give me a ring that was not totally about me. He thinks Diana's ring belongs in a museum display for the public to view.

Left to me, I'd say thank you but ask if it could be re-set (as so many jewels are). If that were an issue, I'd ask for another ring or my own ring, more in keeping with my tastes. However out of sync the style and tastefulness of the Diana ring is for Kate, it is clear the history and such please her enough to wear it for William's sake. So that makes it all good, though it does look odd in today's world. JMO.

I still get chocked up when I think about William giving Catherine his mums ring. Meant the world to him and Catherine. Lots of deep love involved. It’s stunning on her finger too!

I agree...and I am hoping Harry does something similar!

LaRae

I just had a conversation with my husband about this, and his view is that an engagement ring should please the woman one is marrying. Full stop. :flowers: I liked that answer. ;) It may be that the ring pleases Kate just as it is, and if so, she should do nothing, of course. But my hubby also said that he would never give me a ring that was not totally about me. He thinks Diana's ring belongs in a museum display for the public to view.

Left to me, I'd say thank you but ask if it could be re-set (as so many jewels are). If that were an issue, I'd ask for another ring or my own ring, more in keeping with my tastes. However out of sync the style and tastefulness of the Diana ring is for Kate, it is clear the history and such please her enough to wear it for William's sake. So that makes it all good, though it does look odd in today's world. JMO.

It’s Catherine's ring now and, from what I’ve seen, she’s in love with her ring.

Now I think she needs a diamond and sapphire set to go a long with it.

She has access to those diamond/sapphire sets....Diana's! She's just not worn them yet.

LaRae

It’s Catherine's ring now and, from what I’ve seen, she’s in love with her ring.

That's what I said, I think. :ermm: Please don't make this about anything other than what it is: a discussion of a ring, a thing. This is not about Diana, a person. Just saying.

I don't understand why the ring would be considered 'out of sync' or how it looks 'odd in today's world'?

There's plenty of honking big stoned rings out there....and all types of settings.

LaRae

I don't understand why the ring would be considered 'out of sync' or how it looks 'odd in today's world'?

There's plenty of honking big stoned rings out there....and all types of settings. LaRae

That's okay, Pranter. That's what makes the world go round. Different points of view. :flowers: Not sure why this should stop the clocks on the thread and require responses. My view is pretty banal. Lots of people think this way about inherited jewelry. In fact, re-setting can be seen as a norm.

As for Kate's style, I see her as a minimalist. I doubt she would have chosen such a large ring given the freedom to choose, but like I said, the history of the ring and William's affection for it (his mother's memory), likely played a role in her accepting it. Anyway, it's a long ago done deal. It is what it is. Kate is happy (we guess) with it. Full stop. ;)

Last edited:
:previous: I agree. Nothing of her taste in her personal jewels shows an affinity for large stones. Other then her large pearls she wore in France. Even her larger jewelry is usually made of smaller stones.

I think she appreciates the sentiment. And is touched to be given the ring :flowers:

But I think if the ring had been off the table, like if Harry had it, Kate would have preferred something smaller, more minimal. You can have quite a large stone without it being clunky and impractical like this.

It's odd that a response would be made? I mean that is what we do here...discuss things right? Other folks giving their views.

I would think everyone would agree that ring is all about it having been his mother's ring and the sentiment would probably outweigh, at least for some women, it being such a big stone. I'm sure Kate knew in advance that was going to be the ring so I am guessing she must of been okay with it as well.

LaRae

She has access to those diamond/sapphire sets....Diana's! She's just not worn them yet.

LaRae

I know, and I think she will look good in that suite. It seems like Catherine is really getting into her mother-in-law’s jewelry now though.

I know, and I think she will look good in that suite. It seems like Catherine is really getting into her mother-in-law’s jewelry now though.

We've seen...hmmmm 3 or 4 pieces so far? I just remember the earrings and pearl bracelet (not counting the Knot Tiara and the engagement ring).

She will look fabulous in those sets of sapphires/diamonds.

LaRae

I'd love to see Catherine in some emeralds. Diana's emerald choker would look beautiful with her dark hair. :flowers:

IMO we are more likely to see her emeralds on Harry's wife. I think Kate will stick with the sapphires.

But if you're talking about her art deco choker, that belongs to the queen. Returned to the vaults.

:previous: I agree. Nothing of her taste in her personal jewels shows an affinity for large stones. Other then her large pearls she wore in France. Even her larger jewelry is usually made of smaller stones.

I think she appreciates the sentiment. And is touched to be given the ring :flowers:

But I think if the ring had been off the table, like if Harry had it, Kate would have preferred something smaller, more minimal. You can have quite a large stone without it being clunky and impractical like this.
William and Harry were able to choose a keepsake from their mother's jewels, presumably before they were secured until they were of an age or married. William chose his mother's favourite watch, Harry her engagement ring. I read somewhere that years later they decided whoever married first would have the option of whether or not to give to their fiance.

A lot of people wear their sentimental rings in different ways that suit them the best. Now, if I were going to a coronation, I would wear (from the base of the left ring finger up) my diamond eternity band, my gold wedding band (engraved) and then my diamond solitaire. On the right ring finger I would wear my three stone past, present and future diamond ring. For everyday wear I have a wide comfort fit gold wedding band that I use.

All the rings have sentimental value to me as I imagine Kate's do too. There just isn't a set way that they have to be worn and like everything else, its good to mix things up once in a while. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom