Duchess of Cambridge Jewellery 1: April-December 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was disappointed in the earrings.

I agree with you there, but then again, I don't like earrings that hang. Brooch and bracelet I approve (not like it matters really). I'm wondering, is the bracelet silver or white gold? Her earrings looked like they were yellow gold, and the brooch too. It would clash if she wore a piece of silver jewelry with that.

that is one of the tackiest things I have ever seen a princess worn

:bang: I have to agree with you there. I don't think that your cypher for your notepaper, if that is what it is, should be worn on your wrist !

For me Catherine should have worn the Shamrock brooch a little nearer the center of her coat, it looks like an after thought to me ,but that is just my opinion :whistling:

I'm a fan of charm bracelets since they can tell a story about the individual that is wearing a bracelet, give some hints to the relationship with the person who has gifted the charms and can build the story over years and decades. That said, the current charm reminds me a bit of the Tiffany Heart Tag Bracelet that was designed with the sole purpose of bringing the Tiffany brand to the pedestrian masses with a low cost item. I'll be interested to see how this bracelet evolves.

Can anybody identify the earrings Catherine is wearing at Wimbledon today?

I liked the Bracelet ...

I liked it.

I would guess, if I had to, that it was a gift. I would further guess (all intuition and a little reading the signs, if you will) that it was a wedding gift from William.

Of all the relationships of which I am aware between a royal born and a royal made - there always seems to be a similar gift. To me, it speaks volumes - and I liked it. It made me smile.

I'm a fan of charm bracelets since they can tell a story about the individual that is wearing a bracelet, give some hints to the relationship with the person who has gifted the charms and can build the story over years and decades. That said, the current charm reminds me a bit of the Tiffany Heart Tag Bracelet that was designed with the sole purpose of bringing the Tiffany brand to the pedestrian masses with a low cost item. I'll be interested to see how this bracelet evolves.

I have a charm barcelet like the one you're describing JennahPc, (the non Tiffany one). It was started and given to me by my Mum when I started university at 19 so that I could have a fun way of keeping my most precisous memories with me.

My Mum started the barcelet with two charms; one for each of my university majors. And now five years and three more charms later she is having a silver morter board added in honour of me graduating and finding out my over all degree classification in two weeks time, (I know I've graduated, I just don't what with. It's very anoying!!)

I too look forward to seeing how Kate's barcelet will evolve. :flowers:

I agree with you there, but then again, I don't like earrings that hang. Brooch and bracelet I approve (not like it matters really). I'm wondering, is the bracelet silver or white gold? Her earrings looked like they were yellow gold, and the brooch too. It would clash if she wore a piece of silver jewelry with that.

Daria, I think it is OK to mix metals. After all, she has an engagement ring set in white metal and her wedding ring is yellow.

I even have some great looking jewelry that is made of both white and yellow; rose and white; green and yellow. Anything goes with gold, no matter what the color!!!

I agree with the Duke of Marm. That is one tacky, cheap looking bracelet. I know it is probably not cheap, but it looks it. It could be silver, or it could be grey gold. It looks like silver tho.

Last edited:
Duke of Marmalade said:

Really? I thought it was lovely, and quite appropriate. Not even remotely tacky.

Daria, I think it is OK to mix metals. After all, she has an engagement ring set in white metal and her wedding ring is yellow.

I even have some great looking jewelry that is made of both white and yellow; rose and white; green and yellow. Anything goes with gold, no matter what the color!!!

I agree with the Duke of Marm. That is one tacky, cheap looking bracelet. I know it is probably not cheap, but it looks it. It could be silver, or it could be grey gold. It looks like silver tho.

I think mixing two colours of gold (pink / white, yellow gold / white, silver / yellow) is tacky and it looks odd. I don't like it at all. In my opinon when wearing yellow gold earrings, the rest should be yellow gold as well. And so on.

I really like the bracelet. The sentiment behind it is touching. In a way, she's sharing something personal with the rest of us. Just my opinion of course.

Really? I thought it was lovely, and quite appropriate. Not even remotely tacky.

Same here, I love charm bracelets in general and it seems very appropriate that her Royal cypher appears as the first in what will probably be quite a few charms. :whistling:

If that is Catherine's cypher, what is Camilla's ? Both are Duchesses and have the same initial.

I have always been told not to mix different colours of gold , all my jewelrey is yellow with the exception of a pair of earrings, platinum set diamonds but you cannot really see the setting for the stones.
I'm not afan of white gold it can look too much like silver.

If that is Catherine's cypher, what is Camilla's ? Both are Duchesses and have the same initial.

I think you just pointed me in the right direction! Catherine's bracelet is from Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall.

One side of the disk is engraved with Catherine's monogram:
close-updiskcharm.jpg

And the other side is Camilla's monogram:
jun25-11diskcharm.jpg

You can see Camilla's monogram on this autograph auction site: Lot 799: CAMILLA, DUCHESS OF CORNWALL: (1947- ) Second wife - International Autograph Auctions | Invaluable
Click on photo to enlarge the letter, written while she was in 'Birkhall'.

The bracelet looks it's yellow gold from the way the light hits it in these pictures. Maybe the charm is from the Duchess of Cornwall, and not the whole bracelet. Regardless of the gift giver, the sentiment is sweet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ayvee, you are right . This then shows how close Catherine and Camilla are.

Have you noticed that the C in Catherines cypher appears to have a second smaller C ? Catherine Cambridge perhaps ? :flowers:

I agree that the "C" with a crown is tacky, but not the charm-bracelet itself.

A much nicer gift to symbolise the change from commoner to Royalty was the Prince of Wales wedding morning gift to Diana of a copy of his signet ring; that was a more discreet and appropriate choice, IMO.

However, I think the wedding itself has already made clear the transition and her wedding ring is surely the most precious symbol possible. I don't know exactly why, but to me the large "C" with a crown just seems a bit tasteless. As someone else posted, what's appropriate for note paper is not necessarily a good choice for jewellery. I also don't quite understand the switch to "Catherine" from "Kate", either, though - so what do I know, :ROFLMAO:

I have read that Catherine has only been called Kate by the press. Her family always refer to her as Catherine.

Maybe the charm is from the Duchess of Cornwall, and not the whole bracelet.

I would agree with your statement if the charm could be removed from the bracelet the way most charms do. But from the photos, you can see that the actual disk is soldered on to the link. I think both the charm and the bracelet came from Camilla.

I have read that Catherine has only been called Kate by the press. Her family always refer to her as Catherine.

Maybe her family always calls her Catherine. But William calls her Kate. You can hear him calling her Kate in their engagement interview.

I like the bracelet even more now. A really wonderful piece to show the connection between the two women. Thanks for pointing it out, Ayvee.

And as for those who think the large C with the crown is tacky... it's very similar to the monogram used by the late Diana and also by William. It's a fairly appropriate symbol of Kate's entrance to the Royal family, and while everyone may have their own opinion, mine is that it's quite lovely.

Maybe her family always calls her Catherine. But William calls her Kate. You can hear him calling her Kate in their engagement interview.

I have seen both her sister and father refer to her as "Kate" in comments made to the media before the wedding. And I too, was mainly thinking of William saying "the ring is special as Kate is special" when speaking of his mother's engagement ring being his choice to give to his bride.

Also, in portions of her school yearbooks published by the media, one can see that she was called Kate in school as well.

Ho well, that was only one article and just goes to show that you should not believe everything you read !

The late Diana Princess of Wales' cypher(which she used on her personal stationery) was a crowned "D".

I don't see anything tacky at all about it... I wish someone would give ME something like that LOL!(only if I were a Royal, of course......)

And yes, ICAM that she WAS called "Kate" during her entire life, so this "Call me Catherine, it's what my friends have always called me" stance she took late in her relationship with Prince William rings a little hollow.

BTW...I think it's no coincidence that her sister Pippa is insisting on being called "Philippa" now.

Last edited:
Actually, she has never insisted on being called Catherine. In one of the walkabouts she was asked which name she preferred and she said Kate was fine.

During a joint visit Tuesday with Prince William to Northern Ireland, Middleton mentioned casually that she thinks of herself primarily as Kate. "I'm still very much Kate," said Middleton, when a woman outside Belfast City Hall asked what name she preferred.

Queen Kate vs. Queen Catherine: The royal name dilemma -TODAY.com

But even if she preferred being called Catherine, I don't really see the problem. It is her name after all :lol: And although William calls her Kate, I have also heard him address her as Catherine.

As for the bracelet, I really like it. I don't think it looks tacky at all. If Camilla gave it to her, I find that really sweet. It shows that they get along quite well.

Last edited:
I like her bracelet..
I mix my golds/white & yellow's
Gold plain band around the house, diamonds/sapphire wedding set for work..

I love the cypher.Can I have one with "G" on it? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom