Duchess of Cambridge Jewellery 1: April-December 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For the BAFTA event, along with a lavender Alexander McQueen gown, Catherine wore earrings lent by the Queen specifically for the event!!! :eek:)))

She seems to favor that designer. Looking forward to some pictures. The online streaming was rather blurry, so it was hard to catch details.

It looks like Aquamarines, but not sure!

For the BAFTA event, along with a lavender Alexander McQueen gown, Catherine wore earrings lent by the Queen specifically for the event!!! :eek:)))

I'm coming up on empty here. Where'd you hear the earrings belonged to the Queen? :)

whatekatewore on twitter I believe.

They said the rest of the jewellery was her own, but I don't recogonise the bracelet either.

Last edited:
whatekatewore on twitter I believe.

They said the rest of the jewellery was her own, but I don't recogonise the bracelet either.

What Kate Wore is simply repeating the TV announcer about the earrings and bracelet. The question is how did that TV announcer know? I wonder if Clarence House issued a statement the way they did with the maple brooch.

Last edited:
I'm not sure but I'm pretty sure the bracelet is on loan from the Queen too. The DM said the earrings were on loan from her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the up-close view. The earrings are beautiful although they got lost in her hair. Does anyone have a picture of the Queen wearing them.

Thanks for the up-close view. The earrings are beautiful although they got lost in her hair. Does anyone have a picture of the Queen wearing them.

I say the Royal Forums should award $100 to the person that can find QEII wearing these earrings because I am absolutely stumped. I have two comprehensive catalogs on the Queen's jewelry and nothing comes close. In fact, the earrings look super modern to me. :cool:

They do look modern:ermm:. Thanks for looking.

Maybe they are not so modern. That design was also popular at the beginning of the 20th century, in the Edwardian era. Maybe they are from Queen Alexandra or one of her daughters.

in suzy menkes book royal jewels there a two photos of hm the queen waring earring smiler to what the duchess is wearing the earrings look like the ones the queen wore in 1979 for when sheikh rasid of dubai visted but the earings dont have the pearl in the middle just a guess and i could be wrong

I don't believe people consider the monogram on the charm bracelet tacky or even the idea of more charms tacky. I think the crown on the bracelet is what turned people off. Now, i am one of those people who doesn't love the bracelet. I've been trying to think of ways to express how i feel about it and am at a loss for words. The best way i can describe it is that i feel that the crown was almost...and i hate to use this word, pompous for someone who is so new to the BRF. I understand that it was a gift and it was a very kind gesture but i think it would have been more well received if she wore it later. I don't believe Kate wore it as a "look at me, i'm now married to the heir of the heir to the throne" but it may have come across that way to some..

I really can't phrase what i'm thinking about the bracelet so if anyone thinks they feel the same way, please describe it better. Haha.

In my opinion, we should all remember of whom we are speaking - if this bracelet is indeed a gift from HRH the Duchess of Cornwall, then "tacky" does not come into it! Disregarding the past completely, HRH has always behaved as a Lady should and the bracelet is a touching tribute to her husband's new daughter-in-law. It shows the strength of their relationship and indeed the esteem in which Kate is held. I do concede however that charm bracelets may not always be to everyone's taste - if the charm in question had been a large bejewelled shoe or handbag for example, I could understand the outcry. However it is just a disc showing the two ciphers. A charming gift! The late Princess Diana used to wear a charm bracelet with a gold wombat. Princess Alexandra has one with faberge style easter eggs - no mention of the calibre of these jewels.
I shall get down from my soap box now! :)

in suzy menkes book royal jewels there a two photos of hm the queen waring earring smiler to what the duchess is wearing the earrings look like the ones the queen wore in 1979 for when sheikh rasid of dubai visted but the earings dont have the pearl in the middle just a guess and i could be wrong
Do you have a link to a photo?

Here's an interesting thought: we were talking at the Royal Windsor Horse Show at the weekend and several people there who I would describe as 'well informed' took the view that during the royal couple's visit to Canada, [since it is their first visit abroad as a married couple AND bearing in mind that their wedding is so recent],the Canadians might well mark the occasion by presenting Catherine with some jewellery....

Alex

Just looked back at my post from May 17 this year [reproduced above] and fortunately my sources were quite right - Catherine did get a lovely diamond present from the Canadians. I think the piece in question was just perfect - a present fit for a princess but not so vastly expensive and Over the Top as to invite comments about 'too much money spent on a visiting Royal etc etc'

Alex

Last edited:
July 9, 2011 BAFTA Brits to Watch Earrings and Bracelet

Earrings: A diamond bezel at the top supports three flexible fringes composed of emerald-cut diamonds and round diamond. The central fringe ends with a pear-shaped diamond. The two outer fringes are anchored by a diamond crescent from which three dangles hang from.

Close-up of earrings: http://www.dianasjewels.net/C_Earrings/jul9-11detail.jpg

Bracelet: Two lines of diamonds are on either side of an alternating round cluster (larger diamond surrounded by smaller ones) and emerald-cut diamonds.

Close-up of bracelet: http://www.dianasjewels.net/C_Bracelets/jul9-11bracelet.jpg

The emerald-cut diamonds on both earrings and bracelet seem to tie-in and make it look like a matched set.

They also look like a modern design to me. The setting on the earrings in particular, especially the top stud, where you can see the basket (white gold part) that the bezel is on is unusual for an older piece.

When Kate wore the diamond maple brooch, the official BRF facebook page and Clarence House via twitter mentioned that it was loaned by the Queen. No such announcements have been made regarding these earrings and bracelet. At this point, it's pure speculation that they are on loan from QEII. It's quite possible they are, but not definitively.

As of this time, there are no pictures to be found of QEII wearing these earrings. Hopefully someone will turn up something.

ayvee said:
When Kate wore the diamond maple brooch, the official BRF facebook page and Clarence House via twitter mentioned that it was loaned by the Queen. No such announcements have been made regarding these earrings and bracelet. At this point, it's pure speculation that they are on loan from QEII. It's quite possible they are, but not definitively..

Are you sure ? I was positive an official statement was released when they said what dress she was wearing.....

Are you sure ? I was positive an official statement was released when they said what dress she was wearing.....

There is no official statement. It was a TV announcer who said the earrings were on loan from QEII and all others were her own, so no mention of the bracelet. The Daily Mail, prior to the trip, wrote an article saying that QEII was loaning Catherine some jewelry for her trip. Only the diamond maple brooch was confirmed via twitter (ClarenceHouse). I think readers just expect more jewelry loans from QEII so perhaps the earrings and bracelet are. If you do find an official statement, please post them here. I've checked both facebook (official British monarchy page) and twitter (ClarenceHouse) and have found nothing.

This is the press release from Clarence House mentioning the diamond maple brooch:
http://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/new...ambridge_celebrate_canada_day_1532191197.html

Last edited:
:previous: I'm guessing that whoever made the original quote was taking a punt as the notion that someone in the family, husband, in-laws, gand in-laws, spending that sort of money as a private gift is sort of "out there" for anyone other than obscenely rich Movies Stars!

Many thanks for the pictures. I have certainly never seen these jewels previously, and they could well be gifts that the couple received at their wedding. Alternatively, they could well have emerged from deep inside the royal vaults, so in effect, difficult to tell.

I'm still thinking they were loaned even with no statement. Everwhere I read said that the earrings were leant by the Queen to Kate especially for this event. Even reporters on the tour with them reported that so I assumed that they'd been informed....it's unlike royalreporter and such to repeat it if not informed from press plp on tour- oh well. Either way they are very pretty!

@royalreporter- Kate's wearing an Alexander McQueen dress and earrings loaned to her by the Queen.
txt • 7/9/11 11:08 PM

I would think they probably were loaned by the Queen. In my opinion, they're not in a particularly modern style and so I would doubt that they're new.

Also, Clarence House would have mentioned the Maple Leaf brooch because it was being worn for a particular reason - in tribute to their hosts. They wouldn't have any reason to confirm where Kate got her earrings for an evening gala.

I could be mistaken, but I think I found the earrings: page 66 of The Queen's Jewels, by Leslie Field.
p66.jpg

Last edited:
They do look very similar to me. Great detective work DameL.

DameL you could well be right - the annoying thing is that in the Field book, unusually she doesn't mention the earrings :sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom