Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 4: February-November 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well she will be Queen so is entitled to a few more baubles than Sophie. But I think she carries off the antique jewels well so a new tiara wouldn't be right for her IMO.

I think the honeycoomb tiara loks very good on Camilla. She has already worn 2 tiaras from the royal collection.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a very important symbolic gesture that Camilla has worn two large and significant tiaras. She is a mature adult and does not need to go through the princess training state. She stepped right into the "next Queen" role and appropriately wears significant jewelry from her husbands dear grandmother/Queen Mother. She looks very regal in both.

Upon reflection, I think the Delhi Durbar diadem looked particularly rediculous. That thing did not suit her at all and I surely hope she doesn't wear it again!

Much of it has to do with her hair and those damn exaggerated sweeps.

Personally, I would like to see her in a piece which was aquired from the Russian sales.

Last edited:
Oooh harsh. I think the Farah suits the big tiaras. With updos, they'd look like scaffolding and with long loose hair they'd just lack life. I think hair needs body to carry off a big piece and Camilla did carry it off well. It's also true to say that 'in motion', it looked alot better than on pics because her natural grace and elegance helped pull the regal look off without looking like she was trying too hard. Having said that, I do prefer her in the Honeycomb. I'd love to see her in the Vladimir though.

So far Camilla is best in the big Delhi Durbar thingy, in my opinion.

Oh it looked horrible...:eek:...it just didn't suit her imo.

I'd love to see her in the Vladimir though.

I'm not talking of the Vladimir tiara..no no, the smaller ones notably favoured by both Mary and Margaret. Though if I could just get my hands on that hair of hers!!! And sure, her hair needs body, thought it would be advisable to stop short of walking through a wind tunnel.lol.

Last edited:
I thought Camilla was over doing it when she wore the Delhi Durbar, the queen mother tiara suits her well.

My My, such viciousness!:brows:

I personally thought that HRH The Duchess of Cornwall looked magnificant in the Delhi Durbar tiara http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40948000/jpg/_40948392_gallery_camilla.jpg
and that the message was quite clear--the Queen could have given her any tiara to wear that night (and let's face it, there are a lot to choose from) but she gave her daughter-in-law a diadem associated with Queen Mary herself and with an event like the Durbar! My Lord, the history behind the piece and the message accompanying Camilla's wearing it was just short of announcing her status to the world. I quite like the Delhi Durbar tiara and would love to see again soon. However, I am also holding out for the Teck Crescent Tiara (see my avatar)--

I also like the Boucheron tiara as well http://img104.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=95586_Sans_titre_122_958lo.jpg and Camilla looks equally wonderful in it, also. I do think it is a little bulky, and little geometric, but she pulls it off quite well and looks very regal in it. She always looks perfectly appropriate! AND let us not forget whose tiara that was---the Queen Mother's! Another loud and clear message about Camilla's role in the future.

Personally, I like her hair. She always looks nice, wears lovely clothes, stunnign hats, magnificant jewels, and stands by Charles' side in a loving and supportive manner. I think she is amazing considering what she has had to endure to have the right to stand by his side like she does. Personally, I am growing more tired every day of hearing these comparisons to Diana, or having a discussion about Diana arise whenever the Duchess is in the news. I mean was it really necessary for the Daily Mail to print a picture of Diana's RFO and hint that Camilla was wearing hers? That was simply tacky, but it worked and sold papers. Yellow Journalism, sensationalism--I abhore it.

As for Camilla getting her own tiara designed for her, I just don't see her going for that! It doesn't seem like her style to go out and design an expensive piece of jewelry when she has so much at her disposal now. It would be nice, but I think that it likely won't happen. It would seem vulgar and overdone--besides, I prefer seeing the older pieces brought out! In fact, I think Camilla would look lovely in Queen Alexandra's Rundell tiara!

That tiara looks to small to be on Camilla's head. IMO the Boucheron tiara suits Camilla just as how the Spencer and Lover's knot Tiaras suited the Princess of Wales, and Fergie's tiara suited her. Maybe the Kokoshnik Tiara might look well on Camilla.

Considering the age of the Duchess of Cornwall, the tiaras in question suit her reasonably well. As for other tiaras, she will get all of them, when time comes.

The Kokoshnik would look lovely on Camilla--I've thought that quite often. Also, the Grand Duchess Vladimir tiara (with emeralds if I have to choose one version) and the Girls of Great Britain--but I doubt we'll see her in that. It's so closely associated with the Queen.

The Kokoshnik would look lovely on Camilla--I've thought that quite often. Also, the Grand Duchess Vladimir tiara (with emeralds if I have to choose one version) and the Girls of Great Britain--but I doubt we'll see her in that. It's so closely associated with the Queen.

She would look good in the Vladimir tiara. I can see Camilla looking very good in this one because it's a big heavy tiara. Camilla needs the very strong jewels. Subtle jewels don't do much for her. She needs the heavy stuff. :D That's why I like her in Delhi Durbar.

Camilla needs the very strong jewels.
For the most part, I'd agree. It's for the above reason that I didn't like the Delhi Durbar diadem on her. It may have height but it's not a heavy piece in that it's a terribly spacious design.​
Don't get me wrong, it is a gorgeous diadem..without a doubt.​
Here's the tiara I referred to earlier. It's not large but it maintains a fullness, even though it's (when compared to the Boucheron or the DD) rather small.​

It seems that on each occasion Camilla wears some serious jewels we get a swag of posts bringing up Diana, the CC&D triangle, Camilla's future title etc etc. Following the latest tiara outing, those posts have been removed.

Members intent on discussing Diana should do so in the Diana, Princess of Wales sub-forum in the British Forums, not here.

This is the Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery thread. Posts of no relevance to the topic will be deleted.

Warren
Royal Jewels moderator

I LOVe seeing the tiaras worn by Camilla. I was under the impression that the tiaras and any other royal jewels worn by the DoC have been loaned to her and not given to her as a gift. I guess it's thought that she will have access to them all she wants when Charles becomes king.
Besides the Family order which we have just seen Camilla wear, what else has the Queen gifted to the duchess?

There is a little bitterness about which tiara suits Camilla best.

This reminds me of what Elizabeth Taylor said to Princess Margaret When P.M, looking down at the overly large Taylor diamond “ diamonds that large look a little vulgar”. Taylor responds would like to try it on? P.M. watches the colour play in the big rock. Taylor Smiles and says it’s not nearly as vulgar on is it!

This said if you have access to the big rocks wear them.They all look great even the ugly ones;)

The diadem definitly better suited the Queen Mother.

It has been a number of years now since the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh were joined in Parliament by members of their family.

So no, I don't believe we shall see Camilla making her parliamentary debut any time soon, in this regard.

That is sad is I was looking forward to it. I hope that she will ride down with the queen in the carriage one day. It will show a greater amount of acceptance, and a nice photo opp for the cameras.

Well, Camilla's parliamentary debut is inevitable so those dying to see her there won't have to wait for long. Sadly, Liz has to also be dying to see her there. But when the time comes she'll sit where the DoE sits now, tiara on I assume. Then again, if the King wears the Imperial State Crown, does the Queen Consort wear her coronation Crown? What did the QM wear?

Well, Camilla's parliamentary debut is inevitable so those dying to see her there won't have to wait for long. Sadly, Liz has to also be dying to see her there. But when the time comes she'll sit where the DoE sits now, tiara on I assume. Then again, if the King wears the Imperial State Crown, does the Queen Consort wear her coronation Crown? What did the QM wear?

The Queen Mother wore an evening gown like the Queen now does and a tiara mostly the Indian ruby tiara. But there where not so many times she attended because of WW II and the short reign of her husband.

I also like the Boucheron tiara as well http://img104.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=95586_Sans_titre_122_958lo.jpg and Camilla looks equally wonderful in it, also. I do think it is a little bulky, and little geometric, but she pulls it off quite well and looks very regal in it. She always looks perfectly appropriate! AND let us not forget whose tiara that was---the Queen Mother's! Another loud and clear message about Camilla's role in the future.

I totally adore this one ! I think it's the one that fits her best. The tiara in itself is not that important. It's the hairstyle that makes it look wonderful because it has to be in unity.

Slightly off-topic for this thread, but did Diana and Charles not accompany the Queen to the opening of Parliament? Does anybody know when it stopped, and why did Charles not continue to accompany the Queen once he had separated from Diana? Would be interesting to see C&C do the annual outing with the Queen

Well, it wasn't so much Charles and Diana as other members of the Royal Family as a whole. They just suddenly stopped going leaving the Queen and DoE to go it alone.

Well, dear members, Camilla looks magnificent in ALLL of them!!! And then we have the wonderful picture of Princess Margaret in the Maria Fedorovna sapphire goodie. Now the question is did Queen Mary buy from the Dowager Empress's estate the honeysuckle tiara or did she order it from Garrards. I just wish they would put those emeralds back on the Dehli Durbar. The thing looks kind of empty without them. It would be fabulous to see Camilla in the Lover's Knot tiara with the emeralds or the Oriental Circlet. Cheers.

Hmmm

I think that the Koloshnik(sp) tiara would look great on HRH the Duchess as well....or the Grand Duchess Vladimir one. I wonder if Camilla will use the George IV State Diadem when she is Princess Consort or Queen Consort whatever the case may be...

Maybe we won't be seeing many more tiaras on camilla though..afterall, Diana only had one from the Queen, right? I don't think the Queen will let her use anymore tiaras, I think the D-D and the Boucheron Honeycomb are as much as we might see...maybe not, hope not...

I would be happy to see Camilla wearing almost any royal jewels, but I am not sure that I would be comfortable to see her wearing the George IV Diadem. This one is very, very special and, well for me it would be hard to see someone else wearing it after HM is no longer with us. It looks so magnificent on The Queen, and for a long time, I know everytime I would see it that I would think of her.... Camilla wearing it? I don't know. I think that would be hard for me to see. I'm sure she would look great wearing it, but.... the association to The Queen is just too strong for me.

If she is to be Princess Consort then it's pretty much her only option though.

I think I see what you mean. Because if she won't be crowned Queen Consort, whatelse could she wear besides the diamond diadem for the coronation? Well ok fine! :D I will learn to accept it, I guess! :cool:

Nope! Don't agree with anyone's opinion here.

Camilla's face is not enhanced by the historical offerings, in my view. The Queen Mother's face, for instance, was a very different shape from Camilla's.

I believe that a future Queen, particularly one from a background where such elegant and regal adornments were virtually unknown, is deserving of her very own, special tiara.

To my mind, many of the royal accoutrements are out-of-date, old-fashioned and clunky, and desperately need modern refurbishments and new settings. Old, for the sake of being old, doesn't necessarily mean attractive and good. I think that many of the current tiaras are quite unsuitable for the current wearer's faces, not to say they're not downright ugly, in my opinion.

Sorry, Polly, dear heart, but I cannot agree. I do not see any reason for going out and slaughtering historical pieces. Apart from the aquamarine tiara and the sapphire tiara, I do not know of any pieces in the royal collecction that one can call weak. Some of them are supremely magnificent and timeless. To dismantle them because of the whims of current fashion would, in my view, be a grievous mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom