Diana, Princess of Wales Jewellery 2: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading through here and noticed that no one could seem to place Diana receiving the aquamarine and diamond drop earrings that she wore in the summer of 1987 and in Germany in 1987. I was just going through my 1987 archives of Diana and noticed this from

July 22, 1987 when she received the freedom of the city

"The princess was presented by the Worshipful Company of Grocers, one of London's ancient guilds and received as a memento a pair of aquamarine and diamond drop earrings"

Do you think these could be it?

linmarylou, that's a great find, because the provenance of these earrings was indeed never resolved!
I don't think that Princess Diana has worn other aquamarine and diamond earrings than the long, dangling ones first seen in late 1987, and they might very well be the gift from the Grocer's Guild.
The only aspect that makes me wonder about it is that it would be a remarkably generous gift, but timeline and description do fit...

The pearl and diamond necklace that has been dubbed 'the swan lake set' is simply one of the most beautiful necklaces. It is so sad that such chaos always seems to follow it. I wish it could have been paid for by her estate and remained in England. A real waste of a masterly crafted piece of jewelry IMO! and ...how lovely it would have been around a new princess' neck!!

The pearl and diamond necklace that has been dubbed 'the swan lake set' is simply one of the most beautiful necklaces. It is so sad that such chaos always seems to follow it. I wish it could have been paid for by her estate and remained in England. A real waste of a masterly crafted piece of jewelry IMO! and ...how lovely it would have been around a new princess' neck!!

Lovely as the parure is, it does seem raher ordinary in comparison to a lot of the jewels that Diana wore during her time as a royal. I really fail to see the justification for her estate to have bought the jewels - they really did not have a real connection to her, other than she having borrowed them once to wear. Am I missing a point here, Rubies?

It is a lovely jewelry set. Very elegant and modern setting of pearls and diamonds. Diana, Princess of Wales used the jewelry on loan right before she died. That is why the swan lake set is associated with her. I also believe she would have bought the set if she lived, because the necklace modern design would have suited her style sense:flowers:.

Thanks to Monic...here is a close up of Princess' Saudi Sapphire set.
ImageBam - Fast, Free Image Hosting and Photo Sharing
The pic shows just the Saudi earrings and the necklace. In its original form, the suite of diamonds and sapphires, a wedding gift from the Saudi Crown Prince, also comprised a ring, a bracelet and a watch with seven sapphire clusters.

Diana soon decided to alter the suite: Because she had already received two other diamond watches as wedding presents, and because the sapphire ring was so similar to her engagement ring, Diana broke them up to make new jewels. Four of the seven stones from the showy watch became imposing two-tier earrings. The central sapphire from the ring replaced the watch face to make a new centrepiece for a necklace that Diana would wear, mounted on velvet, not only as a choker necklace, but also round her head as a bandeau for a banquet given by Emperor Hirohito. This new pendant was later hung on a two-strand necklace, with three clusters from the watch used as spacers.

Source:"The Royal Jewels" by Suzy Menkes

The picture of the Saudi Sapphire Suite below is a heavily cropped portion of a larger image and therefore complies with US copyright law fair use provisions.
The 2nd image shows Diana wearing the Saudi Sapphire watch. The ring is her engagement ring.

Attachments

• Diana Saudi Sapphire Suite1.jpg
    Diana Saudi Sapphire Suite1.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 516
  • Diana Saudi sapphires.jpg
    Diana Saudi sapphires.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 1,044
Last edited:
I know that she wasn't allowed to accept this suite of diamonds from Collingwood, but I think she looked amazing in them. They were just beautiful--and she could've put that necklace on a tiara frame and had another fairly lightweight tiara (the Lover's Knot gave her headaches it was so heavy):
http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/vogue/126-1.jpg

http://dianasjewels.net/Earrings/dianaformalengagement.jpg

this is one of my favorite sets Diana wore, why was she not allowed to accept the suite?

this is one of my favorite sets Diana wore, why was she not allowed to accept the suite?

I agree. I believe that the necklace could had been worn as a tiara as well.

Whatever happened to this suite?

Photo no. 18 is the Spencer Tiara. The only tiaras Diana wore were the Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara and the Spencer tiara. The

did her sister wear the earings diana wore for her wedding at william and kates wedding?

What do you mean buried? As in shovel, dirt, ashes to ashes? And if so, have they been recovered? NUTS I tell you, absolutely certifiable.

Unfortunately, I actually read that book by Simone Simmons and IIRC, and I'm 99.9% sure that I do - it was an amethyst said by Simmons to have recently been given to Diana by an admirer for Diana to make a piece of jewellery with.
Whether or not it is true, (and there's plenty of room for doubt, here, to say the least), Simmons never said it was the Saudi sapphire and the other events surrounding the stone as Simmons described them would categorically rule that particular sapphire out.

On the other hand, the Princess did have a mischievous side to her, and if it were an amethyst and she disliked the donor, I don't think it's impossible that she did what Simmons alleges. Some amethysts are very inexpensive and in Paul Burrell's book, he writes about the Princess asking his younger son to wash her crystals at the Burrell's home. Crystals, mind you, not precious stones!

On a more serious note, does anyone here know the provenance and also what became of the glorious opal centred six-strand choker Diana wore to the State Opening of Parliament in 1981? (It's the same one she was famously photographed sleeping in, when she wore the off-the-shoulder Bellville Sassoon "fairy tale" gown the night before her pregnancy with William was announced.) I have never seen photos of her wearing it after 1981 and it did not go on the tours of Australia/New Zealand and Canada in 1983. Either Menkes or Fields had a line or two that it had been borrowed along with the matching bracelet, but they have each been wrong about other jewels and it seems strange that we know so little about it.

That choker was my favourite of all the necklaces the Princess ever wore and I would have loved to see her in it much more. Any information will be much appreciated! Thank you!:flowers:

Could we go back to focusing on Diana's jewels? This is about the millionth time the Diana/Camilla jewels argument has been brought up.:flowers: I do remember that beautiful choker Diana wore when she was newly married and in the famous "sleeping " picture. I'll have to look again in my Diana books as it seems that was the last time she wore the choker unless I'm wrong.

:previous:
Yes, I don't know why but yet another attempted hijack of a thread to rehash the marriage and apportion blame, blah blah.
Such posts have been and will continue to be deleted.

Warren
Royal Jewels moderator

Could we go back to focusing on Diana's jewels? This is about the millionth time the Diana/Camilla jewels argument has been brought up.:flowers: I do remember that beautiful choker Diana wore when she was newly married and in the famous "sleeping " picture. I'll have to look again in my Diana books as it seems that was the last time she wore the choker unless I'm wrong.

I don't remember seeing it again either. It was a beautiful piece!:)

Here is a pictures of the Princess of Wales wearing the Saudi sapphires. This photo was taken in Washington D.C. a month after the divorce; what's interesting is that she wore her engagement ring to match with the sapphires. Though you can't see the ring in this photo
Princess Diana Frances

If I remember correctly Diana was asked why she was wearing her engagement ring and she said because it is a beautiful ring, but sadly I don't recall her wearing it again after that. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I`VE NEVER READ ABOUT THIS AND I`VE NEVER SEEN THIS JEWELS OF DIANA... I FOUND THIS INFORMATION IN THIS BLOG Princess Diana

IS A INTERESTING ARTICLE..

tumblr_lpoe8daIYo1qk6klgo1_250.jpg

Charm Bracelet
Diana received this bracelet as a gift from Prince Charles. For the first 10 years of their marriage, Charles gave Diana a different charm to add to the bracelet. He gave her a “W” in 1982 for William’s birth and an “H” in 1984 for Harry’s birth. Other charms he gave her included a pair of ballet shoes because of her love of ballet and dream of being a dancer, a tennis racket because tennis was her favorite sport, a polo cap representing her love of polo, a miniature St. Paul’s Cathedral to represent where they were married, a teddy bear because of her love of them, an apple for her love of Manhattan, and a pig which was most likely a private joke. Diana rarely or never wore this bracelet in public because it was a precious reminder to her of the good times in their marriage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom