Crown Princess Mary Jewellery 5: Jan 2015 - Jan 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How exciting that the auction has been discovered. The catalogue says that the tiara is mounted in gold and silver. No rose gold is mentioned and in the catalogue pictures the gold definitely looks yellow. They mention rose cut and old mine cut diamonds, which explains the lack of sparkle.

I am a bit surprised by the rubies, because she already has the ruby parure. But then these rubies are so unobtrusive that they hardly show. And maybe she thought that this was too good an opportunity to miss.
Well done for finding the pictures and well done to Mary for spotting the potential of the necklace because I must admit if I was looking at the catalogue I would have thought "nice" and then turned to the next page.
As to the auction catalogue 'the necklace was originally used as a tiara'. To me the design virtually shouts 'tiara', so I don't think it surprising that CP Mary saw the tiara potential there.

Thank you for the close-ups :flowers:

Had Mary wanted sparkle, she would have bought something else.
I can't find the right word to use, but it's such a "quietly" beautiful tiara/necklace.
Very "Mary".

thank you for that find. its a very lovely tiara/necklace, that looks beautiful on Mary in both ways
I agree Nordic, its a perfect fit for Mary and a nice "investment" in the future for her daughters :flowers:

Good find on the auction pic!!!!!

thank you for that find. its a very lovely tiara/necklace, that looks beautiful on Mary in both ways
I agree Nordic, its a perfect fit for Mary and a nice "investment" in the future for her daughters :flowers:

It really is very Mary and I think the term some were trying to come up w/was Understated Elegance. To me, that sums up Mary and her style perfectly. :)

As for it having Rubies, it's another piece she can play w/the various pieces of the Ruby Parure w/. Versatility is never a bad thing. :D

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

A well-polished rose-cut diamond, well-set in silver or foil and preferrably set en-tremblant has a bright sparkle. That sparkle comes from the surface reflection and not from inside the diamond, like the modern cut diamonds. It gives a deeper "glow", like sinking in someone's eyes.

Crown Princess Mary only needs a skilled jeweller to dis-assemble all diamonds separately, to clean them, to have the inlays polished or set with new foil. Then the setting of the monture should preferrably be done in a way that there is room to tremble. Then -even with such small diamonds- Crown Princess Mary is able to generate magic sparkle in the lights of candles, chandeliers and candelabras...

This professional attitude seems obvious but it is not. Princess Alice, Countess of Athlone once stated that then Princess Juliana of the Netherlands, bedecked in magnificent diamonds and sapphires, was a guest at the Coronation of King George VI in London. Princess Juliana looked around, to all the bejewelled ladies in Westminster Abbey and remarked to her cousin Princess Alice "how dirty" all these diadems were. From the surface it looked good but Princess Juliana's experienced eyes saw the silver tarnished, the diamonds unpolished and the settings pretty "rusty"...

A well-polished rose-cut diamond, well-set in silver or foil and preferrably set en-tremblant has a bright sparkle. That sparkle comes from the surface reflection and not from inside the diamond, like the modern cut diamonds. It gives a deeper "glow", like sinking in someone's eyes.

Crown Princess Mary only needs a skilled jeweller to dis-assemble all diamonds separately, to clean them, to have the inlays polished or set with new foil. Then the setting of the monture should preferrably be done in a way that there is room to tremble. Then -even with such small diamonds- Crown Princess Mary is able to generate magic sparkle in the lights of candles, chandeliers and candelabras...

This professional attitude seems obvious but it is not. Princess Alice, Countess of Athlone once stated that then Princess Juliana of the Netherlands, bedecked in magnificent diamonds and sapphires, was a guest at the Coronation of King George VI in London. Princess Juliana looked around, to all the bejewelled ladies in Westminster Abbey and remarked to her cousin Princess Alice "how dirty" all these diadems were. From the surface it looked good but Princess Juliana's experienced eyes saw the silver tarnished, the diamonds unpolished and the settings pretty "rusty"...

Wow! I would have never thought about "dirty tiaras" but make sense what you say!

Wow! I would have never thought about "dirty tiaras" but make sense what you say!

The biggest enemy: hairspray! It bedecks the sparkling gems with a sort of foil. Sweeping it clean with a plumeau will not remove the hairspray. Then it is the dust. The gems are set in a monture. Especially gems which need reflection, like rose cut diamonds, need an optimal reflective background. Then there is the common tarnish of materials. This is why a Court Jeweller is so important. Some diadems are so versatile that these always pass a Court Jeweller: Queen Máxima's massive Investiture Diadem on April 30th 2013 was worn a day earlier by Princess Mabel in a second monture, which needed the Court Jeweller screwing and fixing. That same Investiture Diadem was worn without central aigrette and different prongs than one year later during the State Visit to Denmark: again the Court Jeweller has been screwing and fixing.

The same happens to this collier/diadem. It simply needs a skilled person to construct it in a monture. Well... when the diadem is already there, the atelier will clean it as a service. This costs money. The jewellers in Copenhagen or The Hague will send bills for their services. A "normal" countryside peeress will possibly see her diadem once in a decade. Then it will be dirty indeed but as the next diadem-event will possibly be 15 years later, it will be placed back in the dusty cassette. Bringing it to Garrard's is then felt as not necessary...

The biggest enemy: hairspray! It bedecks the sparkling gems with a sort of foil. Sweeping it clean with a plumeau will not remove the hairspray. Then it is the dust. The gems are set in a monture. Especially gems which need reflection, like rose cut diamonds, need an optimal reflective background. Then there is the common tarnish of materials. This is why a Court Jeweller is so important. Some diadems are so versatile that these always pass a Court Jeweller: Queen Máxima's massive Investiture Diadem on April 30th 2013 was worn a day earlier by Princess Mabel in a second monture, which needed the Court Jeweller screwing and fixing. That same Investiture Diadem was worn without central aigrette and different prongs than one year later during the State Visit to Denmark: again the Court Jeweller has been screwing and fixing.

The same happens to this collier/diadem. It simply needs a skilled person to construct it in a monture. Well... when the diadem is already there, the atelier will clean it as a service. This costs money. The jewellers in Copenhagen or The Hague will send bills for their services. A "normal" countryside peeress will possibly see her diadem once in a decade. Then it will be dirty indeed but as the next diadem-event will possibly be 15 years later, it will be placed back in the dusty cassette. Bringing it to Garrard's is then felt as not necessary...

I see you are very knowable about this! I would love to see the photos of the differences of the Investiture Diadema how he change it so often from day to another! I know tarnish is a big enemy, sometime I want to use some silver jewelry and they are not as good as new. I remember to buy a liquid but ruined the necklace ! and I thought wish I would have money to take it to have it clean, after I bought one of this electric jewelry cleaners, a waste of money! didn't do anything! And it is very difficult to take something to clean , how do you know they do not change your stone and put a fake one?
all jewelry needs to be clean every so often, the thing is the royals the have their own people that do a magnificent job and they would never replace with a fake stone, but people like us........we are lost ..........

Most palaces have so-called "silver chambers" holding the gold-, silver- and crystalware. Often there is an atelier next to it. Not for jewels alone: also for the many antique clocks, pendules and horloges, for the music-boxes, the mechanic objects (equivalents of Fabergé eggs). For major maintenance the jewels will go to the jeweller but for normal fixing and cleaning, I assume it will be done in the mentioned atelier at the palace itself.

We may assume that there are specialized devices that distinguish diamond from moissanite and can quickly indicate if a stone is a true diamond or a simulant. The quickest way to know if there are real diamonds? Place a diadem in an Röntgen-scanner (I believe the English term is X-ray). Diamonds don't appear in Röntgen-photos. Glass, cubic zirconium and crystals all have slightly radiopaque qualities that make them show up clearly. So the Brazilean wall-of-diamonds on Queen Silvia's head is best quicky placed in a Röntgen-scanner, instead of examining it diamond-after-diamond...

Last edited:
Here is a good picture of Mary's beautiful tiara/necklace - used as both tiara and necklace:

https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=3e1cd678a8903a25feef71034e1428e8&oe=577C2C5B

So beautiful and so very "Mary" yes :wub: Understated elegance. Never too much. A "quietly" stunning tiara/necklace. Mary never wear the BIG BIG bling bling thing (nor would I), and she comes across as a down-to-earth and humble Donaldson-personality, that's why it fits her. A tiara is best if it fits your personlality IMO.

Moreover, it is smart to one piece of jewelry can be reused between tiara and necklace!

Last edited:
I also Love jewelry that can be worn different ways. Its probably why Im so fond of brooches. You can use as Barrettes and pendants. Makes it much more usable and worth the price. Its not my favorite piece of Mary's as Ive said but she will give us some fun wearing it different ways and I love that she bought it. Even I didntthink that till we saw the auction pic!!

:previous: Agree. Though not a fan of any of the modern Danish tiaras. Margrethe's gold poppy one IMO is one of the ugliest tiaras I have seen. Marie's Lily tiara isn't great but compared to the Poppies and Mary's midnight, best of the three.

I agree Countessmeout that Marie's Lily tiara is the prettiest of the three though I do like the Midnight Tiara too. Unfortunately it wasn't a good choice IMHO to wear with the bright coral dress.

Wow. Good for her!!!!!!!!......I think the Midnight tiara would be much improved if some of the leaves were Pave Diamonds. All that metal and foil takes away from the look to me. It needs more sparkle!!! And it would still be modernish.

Love the new tiara really stunning wonder if there are some better photos

I think the new tiara is a great addition to Mary 's jewel case. It will get good use even a tiara is required in low profile situations.

I was wondering about that gorgeous pendant. She got a good deal! I have never heard of Morganite before

I have to say - I was not overly impressed with the catalogue pictures, and seeing it as a necklace it was some sort of OKish, but I really love it as tiara. I don't know what the difference makes - maybe that the stones are much closer to each other?
I think it is a perfect piece to be worn once in the future by one of her daughters. Having two similar newly bought but "old" pieces for each of her daughters sounds like the perfect solution to me. :flowers:

Did Mary receive any Jewellery from Middle Eastern Rulers?

Royals usually receive jewellery from middle eastern rules,but did Mary receive?

I would be surprised if she got any substantial jewellery on hercrecent trip tothe middle East. With oil prices at current levels, they are all watching their budgets. Further, Denmark is not a very major player on the global scale, so unlikely to play a major role in the geopolitic.

And unlike the UK, some other monarchies have strict acceptance policies. For an example Spain does not accept gifts anymore, an attempt by the King to obtain a clean hands imago.

It seems a great strategy to buy tiaras for the girls now and wear them until the Princesses come of age. Well, Mary has four children, hasn't she? So why not continue tiara shopping? :p:D

It seems a great strategy to buy tiaras for the girls now and wear them until the Princesses come of age. Well, Mary has four children, hasn't she? So why not continue tiara shopping? :p:D
And Christian and Vincent are going to wear the next two purchases? ;)

Christian's wife will be the future queen and have access to the main tiaras like her MIL does now. Vincent's wife will need a tiara to wear.

And Christian and Vincent are going to wear the next two purchases? ;)
:ROFLMAO: I was obviously thinking about their future wives. I know that guys rarely marry at age 18, so Mary would have longer time to enjoy those (imaginary) tiaras. And if they don't marry at all, there will be some spare piece for the over-next generation... Ok, that's a long shot. But one can dream.:flowers:

I think Maxima has some presents from the middle east! I mean jewelry.

Back
Top Bottom