Crown Princess Mary Jewellery 5: Jan 2015 - Jan 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is such a lovely addition to the collection - it has very beautiful timeless and classic design. One of my favorite "newcomers".
I'd like to hear more about the history of this necklace/ tiara.

Very beautiful new tiara! In my eyes it looks as an antique tiara, not any modern piece. I liked it very much as necklace too. Beautiful workmanship, delicate piece. So much prettier than her wedding tiara.

It's so great to see a new tiara in Mary, it's really a beautiful piece. Agree it looks better as a tiara than a necklace, it looks more "consistent" than I thought it would be, if you know what I mean. I think the thin chain on the necklace version spoils it quite a bit.

I agree with those who think this is a better tiara than her wedding one. Even while I might be one of the very few that actually likes that tiara, it's really underwhelming as a Crown Princess' wedding tiara, esp if that one princess has so few tiaras to her dispossal. As nice as I think it is, it gives too much an impression of "let's make a tiara from this pretty necklace". This one has a lot more substance, IMO.

Now what I would love to see is this tiara matched with her wedding tiara as a necklace. I always prefered the necklace form of the other tiara and I have the impression both designs would look great together with some small, similar designed diamond earrings.

It's great to finally see this jewel worn as tiara. Right when I saw the necklace for the first time I was sure that it was convertible. The design virtually screamed tiara. I only feared that it might have been a loan. Well, it hasn't! :D

It looks really beautiful as a tiara and I'm among those who prefer the tiara version. As for the origin of this jewel, well possibly might never know. It hasn't been seen in the family before, and nobody so far found it in a auction catalog. My guess is, that it was bought privately or from a discreet jeweler, pretty much like the wedding tiara.

So glad that CP Mary now has a "new" tiara in her rotation. This one is much more substantial than her wedding tiara. And I personally think that it looks better as a tiara.

Well...after 11 years of marriage (2015) and 4 children...Crown Princess Mary was due a more substantial diamond tiara in my opinion! I agree with others that her wedding tiara was not a fitting size for a Crown Princess and future Queen...especially when her new sister-in-law wears a much larger diamond floral tiara (even though it is a loan and CP Mary has use of the ruby & diamond parure).

But here's what I think. I think that the Queen was very careful to buy a small diamond tiara at the onset because she was waiting to see how the marriage of the Crown Prince would progress. Remember that at the time of the Crown Princely engagement and wedding, Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra's marriage was over and had been in trouble for years. They were married for less than 10 years. The Queen would have known at the time, that the family heirloom - the Alexandrine tiara (which was a wedding gift and owned by Alexandra) - would be "lost" to the royal family. So Mary was brought a small tiara and Marie was given a loan.

Now that the crown princely marriage has successfully passed the 10 year mark, maybe the Queen? (I assume) felt that the time was right for a more substantial diamond tiara for CP Mary. Maybe a reward also for Mary's great success as a wife, mother and crown princess.

I like the tiara...probably would prefer not to see so much of the upward frame. I wonder why, if it was a gift from QM, she would not have given her a gift/loan of one with more historical significance as per Marie even though Denmark does not have that many left to chose from and of course the ruby is especially significant. Perhaps I'm just thinking it would be nice to see Marie get as much use of her other tiara as Mary does with her wedding one.

Last edited:
I am on team necklace I fear. When she wore it first I hoped we would see it as a tiara, but it isn't working for me. I do not like the base, the sides seem not long enough and the delicate setting gets lost in the tiara. The stones don't seem to be of high quality either and are rather small.

Having that said, I like it a whole lot better than her wedding tiara and it is great she added another tiara to the collection, esp. with 2 daughters and probably two daughters-in-law in the distant future. Perhaps I will like it better when the princess puts the tiara a bit more upright.

I would like to know the history of this new tiara,whereabouts etc.?

Don't worry Marengo I am on team necklace as well, I feel it doesn't have as much 'wow factor' as a tiara.
As to provenance could it possibly be a gift from Henrik, an unseen piece from his mother?

I would like to know the history of this new tiara,whereabouts etc.?
Don't we all? :flowers: So far, the history of this jewels has been as carefully hidden as that of the wedding tiara. I assume that the RF doesn't want any information out in the public. So they buy their jewels discreetly, not from public auctions. And they probably chose a tiara from a low profile family, so that no pictures can be found to give it's provenance away. That way they make sure that the tiara is only associated with Mary, without detracting information about previous owners.
Don't worry Marengo I am on team necklace as well, I feel it doesn't have as much 'wow factor' as a tiara.
As to provenance could it possibly be a gift from Henrik, an unseen piece from his mother?
It is very, very unlikely that Prince Henrik's mother had a tiara. His family didn't live a high profile lifestyle, and the late Countess borrowed Queen Margrethe's floral tiara (the one that's now with Marie) for the silver wedding gala. At the wedding in 1962 she wore an unknown tiara, but not this one.

Also I find it highly unlikely that the DRF would let unused tiaras just gather dust in the vaults for 15 years. (Henrik's mother died in 2001 afaik) They just don't have that many tiaras to do that.

My guess is, that the necklace tiara is a new acquisition without a family connection. And that's a very good idea, imo. The plan might be to have some tiaras ready for Isabella, Josefine or Vincent's future wife. Something without a long family history, so there won't be the loss of a historic family jewels when they move down the side line of the family. And yet there will be a family connection, because CP Mary has already worn it. And of course it's just nice for Mary to have a more varied choice of tiaras.

I like Mary's wedding tiara, especially when she augments it with pearls. Unfortunately, it was not shown to its best advantage on her wedding day, due to the placement of the veil. Some of the larger tiaras must be tricky to wear and keep in place. No doubt there's some discreet hairdressing secrets that help. Princess Diana said that the Cambridge tiara gave her a headache because of its weight.

There's a state visit from Mexico coming up next month, so maybe we'll see the new tiara again.

The wedding tiara might be small, but I like it anyways. To me it looks very nice, and it must be comfortable to wear. And let's not forget that at the time it was bought, it was already clear that she'd have the gorgeous grand ruby parure, which is worthy of a Queen. It's no shame to have a small tiara as a secondary piece, imho.

The wedding tiara might be small, but I like it anyways. To me it looks very nice, and it must be comfortable to wear. And let's not forget that at the time it was bought, it was already clear that she'd have the gorgeous grand ruby parure, which is worthy of a Queen. It's no shame to have a small tiara as a secondary piece, imho.

Thinking the same :)

As to why Pss Marie got "the bigger tiara" from start: Perhaps CPss Mary was given the choice between her now wedding tiara and the floral tiara now worn by Pss Marie?

As to why Pss Marie got "the bigger tiara" from start: Perhaps CPss Mary was given the choice between her now wedding tiara and the floral tiara now worn by Pss Marie?

I doubt that- but Mary got two tiaras including the ruby parure which is magnificent and Marie was given one.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Well...after 11 years of marriage (2015) and 4 children...Crown Princess Mary was due a more substantial diamond tiara in my opinion! I agree with others that her wedding tiara was not a fitting size for a Crown Princess and future Queen...especially when her new sister-in-law wears a much larger diamond floral tiara (even though it is a loan and CP Mary has use of the ruby & diamond parure).

But here's what I think. I think that the Queen was very careful to buy a small diamond tiara at the onset because she was waiting to see how the marriage of the Crown Prince would progress. Remember that at the time of the Crown Princely engagement and wedding, Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra's marriage was over and had been in trouble for years. They were married for less than 10 years. The Queen would have known at the time, that the family heirloom - the Alexandrine tiara (which was a wedding gift and owned by Alexandra) - would be "lost" to the royal family. So Mary was brought a small tiara and Marie was given a loan.

Now that the crown princely marriage has successfully passed the 10 year mark, maybe the Queen? (I assume) felt that the time was right for a more substantial diamond tiara for CP Mary. Maybe a reward also for Mary's great success as a wife, mother and crown princess.

but... didn't mary wear this tiara as a necklace some time ago, and also at the early start of her royal life? which would mean that this tiara may have always been among those she could use, but she has never chosen to wear it as tiara until now?

I once read somewhere that Mary was given the choice between a new tiara and a family piece. But I don't know the source anymore. It might have been something that the journalists made up, you never now.
but... didn't mary wear this tiara as a necklace some time ago, and also at the early start of her royal life? which would mean that this tiara may have always been among those she could use, but she has never chosen to wear it as tiara until now?
She wore the necklace only once, and that was last year at Queen Margrethe's birthday concert.

I doubt that- but Mary got two tiaras including the ruby parure which is magnificent and Marie was given one.
I don't think you can count the Ruby Parure. That belongs to Prince Frederik and heaven forfend Mary should die or they should divorce, that parure would adorn the head of Fred's second wife should he remarry.

Of course, there is always the wild idea he gave it to Mary for keeps, but after the disaster of the loss of the historic and beautifully unique Alexandrine Drop Tiara, I think Fred would have wagered on his marriage lasting.

As to Mary's new tiara . . . the more I see it, the more I like it as a necklace. There is just too much rose gold and not enough sparkly diamonds to make a fabulous tiara.

Last edited:
:previous: Well on those grounds Marie has no tiaras. Her wedding tiara is a loan from the queen. If they got divorced it reverts back to the royal family. Her lily tiara is not owned by her either it is owned by the designer.

Mary has 2 tiaras she owns, including this new one.

I don't think you can count the Ruby Parure. That belongs to Prince Frederik and heaven forfend Mary should die or they should divorce, that parure would adorn the head of Fred's second wife should he remarry.

Of course, there is always the wild idea he gave it to Mary for keeps, but after the disaster of the loss of the historic and beautifully unique Alexandrine Drop Tiara, I think Fred would have wagered on his marriage lasting.

As to Mary's new tiara . . . the more I see it, the more I like it as a necklace. There is just too much rose gold and not enough sparkly diamonds to make a fabulous tiara.
I still think that the ruby parure does count. It might be owned by Frederik, but he won't wear it. That job is up to her. ;) As long as Mary has access to the tiara, the ownership doesn't matter that much, imo. And should the marriage end in divorce she won't get much use out of her wedding tiara anyways, because she would hardly have tiara events.

I once read somewhere that Mary was given the choice between a new tiara and a family piece. But I don't know the source anymore. It might have been something that the journalists made up, you never now.

I have read that was offered to her to loan the Khedive tiara for her Wedding dAY:

I think that this Diamond Necklace Convertible Tiara is given on 2014 on their wedding anniversary,this such a lovely gift,if it chosen by frederik,he has such great taste ?

:previous: That is a possibility. Maybe some day a journalist will wriggle an answer out of the Crown Princess to confirm if it was a gift or not.

But didn't give Federik her the beautiful locket in gold and black enamel for the anniversary? Or was that a birthday gift? Sorry if my memory is quite bad about this.

Back
Top Bottom