British Royal Jewels of the Past 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thomas, one day I'm going to have to call 911 in Columbia and tell them that Thomas Parkman has passed out with a pint of Godiva Double Chocolate ice cream in one hand and his head on Tiaras: A History of Splendor. They'll actually think it is a crank call--obviously not ones to appreciate the breathtaking splendor of diamonds and chocolate!

WAAAAARRRRREEEENNNNNNN--
I need to know something and I am certain that you will be able to clear up a little mystery for me--
there is a necklace which our beloved Queen Mary wear that I think is perfectly marvelous--but I have not been able to find any mention of it in the two (yes, only two) books I have--while they are excellent books (Munn's Bible and Field's 1987 edition of The Queen's Jewels) they offer no identifying information about this necklace.
However, Field does have three pictures of the necklace--perhaps if you have the book you can look it up and see if it jolts your memory?
Page 38, the top right hand corner photo--Queen Mary in the Girls of Great Britian tiara without pearl spikes--it is the long necklace that disappears from the picture (I might add that this is one of my favorite photos of Queen Mary)
Page 68. The painting of Queen Mary (beside the photo of the True Lover's Knot brooch)--shows her wearing a choker (later shortened to a bracelet), the Lover's Knot brooch, some large diamond earrings, and the necklace in question is seen full length

Last photo--page 81--Queen Mary, top left photo--she is earing Feodorovna tiara with a large sapphire in the front, cluster earrings, cahin link diamond choker necklace, and a sapphire brooch--but no mention of the necklace, which is STUNNING and filled with HUGE diamonds. I would love to know more about that necklace.

So, Warren, most brilliant, do you know anything about this necklace? I don't have a photo to post--I'm so sorry!

That was hard work. I have the 1992 edition and the paging and layout are different. I can't shed any light on the necklace, which is reminiscent of the very long necklaces favoured by Queen Ena of Spain.

Unrelated to your question, and going off on a tangent, is the amount of serious jewellery Queen Mary purchased from the Grand Duchess Marie Feodorovna. The pic of Queen Mary in the 'Link Bracelet' section (your page 81, my page 105) showing her wearing the palmette/honeysuckle tiara, now with the Gloucesters, is one example. Another, less well-known, is the Grand Duchess Marie Feodorovna bandeau tiara (diamonds and a rather large sapphire), of which good pictures are few and far between. Pity, because the tiara appears to be quite a work of art. It is on my wish-list of those pieces which are crying out to be rescued from the vaults. :)

Dear Warren,

Is that not where there has been great confusion. I have read in the bible I believe that Queen Mary commissioned the honeysuckle tiara from Garrard's c. 1915. I agree with you that the sapphire tiara is a stunning creation and I have wondered whether everybody is not confusing and mixing up the twol. I have seen a picture of Princess Margaret wearing Maria Fedorovna's sappphire tiara somewhere and it is a magnificent contraption indeed.

I mayself may have been thorougly confused and thought the honeysuckle tiara had a large sapphire setting as part of the settings that could be used, along with the kunzite and diamond centerpieces. I think that I was probably wrong. What do you think. In anycase both baubles are to die for. Cheers.

Is that not where there has been great confusion. I have read in the bible I believe that Queen Mary commissioned the honeysuckle tiara from Garrard's c. 1915.
Yes, in this case Munn contradicts Field. I used Field for my post above as this is the source and context for jcbcode99's question.

I have seen a picture of Princess Margaret wearing Maria Fedorovna's sappphire tiara somewhere...
Indeed, if you click on the link in my post you will see it again. :)

I mayself may have been thorougly confused and thought the honeysuckle tiara had a large sapphire setting as part of the settings that could be used, along with the kunzite and diamond centerpieces. I think that I was probably wrong. What do you think. I
You are correct, Field has a small pic of Queen Mary wearing the honeysuckle tiara and what she says is the sapphire centrepiece (on the same page where she states it comes from Marie Feodorovna). I'm not sure that one can tell whether it is sapphire or emerald from the photograph, but we'll take Field's word for it.

Queen Mary is wearing the Sapphire Parure which was gifted to Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent. It passed to the present Duke and Duchess of Kent; parts of the parure have since been sold and the tiara remodelled (or the necklace has been converted into a tiara).

Last edited:
Queen Mary is wearing the Sapphire Parure which was gifted to Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent. It passed to the present Duke and Duchess of Kent; parts of the parure have since been sold and the tiara remodelled (or the necklace has been converted into a tiara).

Thankyou. It is such a shame that many lovely pieces have passed to the lesser branches of the family. In my opinion any pieces of distinction should only be loaned to individual members during their lifetimes and then on their deaths returned to the main collection.

Warren--thank you for trying; I've been curious about that necklace for some time. But, your supplemental information was quite interesting!

Dose anyone know who bought the Sapphire Tiara from Duchess of Kent. A pity that the had to sell it. The Duchess dose like to play with her jewels, she has remodelled a lot of pieces in the past why not this one.

I think that the Tiara was offered to the queen before the sale some time in the late 60s which was to pay for death duties, but she did not wont it back in the family.

Great images everybody.

I have just one question: is there actually a list of Queen Mary's jewelry anywhere? Especially the tiaras? I know that there are some random images and some info around these forums, but is there any full and"official" list availible in any book or something like that?

Crowns on Royal Coffins

This web site - Forensic Genealogy Book Contest - shows a photo of Queen Victoria's coffin resting in the Albert Memorial Chapel after her funeral on Feb. 2, 1901 and before being moved to the Frogmore Mausoleum on Feb. 4, 1901. The web site identifies the crown on the coffin as St. Edward's Crown but I believe it is the Imperial State Crown based on its shape, etc. I'd appreciate responses about whether you agree or disagree with this identification. I found one reference (in Jerrold Packard's Farewell in Splendor) that states the Imperial State Crown was used for Victoria's funeral. Does anyone know of any other reference? Studying photos of other royal funerals, I believe St. Edward's Crown was used for the funeral of Edward VII but that the Imperial State Crown was used for George V and George VI. Thanks for your aid on identifying the crown used for Victoria's funeral.

I believe the small diamond crown was used on Queen Victoria's coffin when it rested at Osborne House before her formal funeral began. But the crown in the web site photo seems too large to be the small diamond crown.

The Scepter with the Cross and both orbs were also placed on Victoria's coffin. David Williamson wrote in Debrett's Guide to Heraldry and Regalia that the second orb (last used for Mary II's coronation with William III) represented Victoria's position as Empress of India. But Victoria's funeral was the only time two orbs were used.

That's absolutely not the St Edward Crown. It's probably the Imperial, before it was rebuilt for George VI.

Queen Alexandra Sapphire Tiara

Queen Alexandra's sapphire tiara which I assume remains in the Buckingham Palace vaults.

Image copyright has expired.

Attachments

• Queen Alexandra Sapphire Tiara.jpg
    Queen Alexandra Sapphire Tiara.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 2,672
Last edited:
Hi, my first post being a newbie here ( have been a lurker for a while enjoying reading the posts and being amazed by the knowledge of some of the posters).
On another board I recently saw a photograph of Queen Mary (UK) wearing what was termed the ' Loop Tiara'. It is not a tiara that I recall having come across before. Does anyone know if it still exists? I can see it on Camilla if it does.

Queen Mary's Diamond Loop Tiara
Made by Boucheron. Now possibly resting in the vaults although I have seen a suggestion that it was dismantled to make the Delhi Durbar diadem.

copyright to the image has expired

Attachments

• UK Queen Mary's Boucheron Diamond Loop Tiara.jpg
    UK Queen Mary's Boucheron Diamond Loop Tiara.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 1,805
Last edited:
HRH Princess Louise,The Duchess of Fife
HM Queen Louise of Denmark
HM Queen Alexandra of the United Kingdom
dazzling in diamonds!
Queen_Alexandra_with_Queen_Louise_and_the_Duchess_of_Fife.jpg
Photo from Wikipedia

I've always found the loop tiara to be interesting. Apparently, from what I have read in Munn (page 113) was a gift to mark George and Mary's elevation to Prince and Princess of Wales. It is by Boucheron. I don't know when its last appearance was, but I've always thought that the stones matched up very with the Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara as well as the Delhi Durbar. It's a shame it was broken up, all 102.75 carats (composed of 675 diamonds)

Queen Victoria's emerald tiara

I was looking througt some pictures of Victorias granddaughters and I found a pic of Princess Victoria wearing Victorias emerald tiara. I know that some other threads this has been discussed but i was wondering if anyone know where this tiara is now. I have never sen a picture of anyone wearing this tiara besides QV so I was courious. And since I dont now how to upload anything i can not put a pic on here. But it is at webshots. Look under EmpressFrederick's file under QV granddaughters III it #18. Thanks for the help.:flowers:

In Munn's Tiaras: A History of Splendor book book, there is a photo of one of Queen Victoria's granddaughter's wearing the tiara. It is beside a close up of Queen Victoria from a painting in which she wears the tiara (and some GORGEOUS emerald earrings which I haven't seen anywhere besides the painting and which I am very curious about. Queen Victoria loved that girandel type of earring, with multiple stones--I've gone off track but would love to discuss Queen Victoria's earrings, too!) anyway....in Munn there is indeed a b/w photograph of the tiara with a caption below that suggests the wearer was attending a costume ball and that the tiara appeared to have been shortened. Munn further states within the book that the tiara still remains in the family of one of Queen Victoria's descendents. Over on the RJOTW message board the topic comes up sometimes and we discuss who has it, and some older photos of events have been posted where the tiara has been seen. But, I can't recall who has it.

The Duchess of Fife wore Queen Victoria's emerald tiara to the State Opening of Parliament in 1960 so the Fifes probably still have it.

I was about to copy that post of yours over so the link would be in both threads but you did it yourself. :flowers:

No idea about this one. It may still be with the Fifes as that family doesn't appear to have needed to sell assets, but of course it could have been disposed of long ago.
It looks like an "ears of wheat"-type design and may be better off without that flower element stuck in the middle. However, as the components seem to be all-diamonds, the tiara as pictured would flash and glitter quite nicely. :)

Last edited:
1) Can anyone tell me what became of the fringe tiara that Princess Mary (Countess of Harewood) owned? It must have been inherited from Queen Mary I suppose. Thanks for any help,
Chota

Wasn't it auctioned & purchased by the Duke of Westminster????

Coronation Tie pin King Edward VII

Picture%20001.jpg
Can anybody please help me identify my tie pin.
I had it for more than 20 years now and now i want to find out what it is and if possible who made it.
The material is gold with 25 high quality rose cut diamonds.
There is no marking at all on the pin.
I have looking on internet for 4 year now and the only thing i have found is a pin made by Eduard Schramm (Faberge)see attachment nr 44669.
That pin is in the Royal collection in London.
I did send it to Christie`s in London,the answer from them raises more questions rather than giving me an answer.Here is the answer:

All parties concerned have now had a chance to look at your tie pin. It is a commemorative pin made for the Coronation of King Edward and Queen Alexandra in 1902 and most likely one of several made at the time.

The similarities in design to the tie pin in the Royal collection you pointed out are due to the fashion in the early twentieth century when it was very common to use a combination of gold, silver, rose-cut diamonds and enamel in this style.

Both the Jewelery and Russian department have looked for marks indicating it could be made by one of Faberge's work masters like Eduard Schramm but there
are no hallmarks or inventory numbers applied to the piece and therefore it cannot be made by Faberge as all recorded Faberge pieces bear these marks.

[FONT=Christie'sBembo]
Angela Berden,
[/FONT]
[FONT=Christie'sBembo]FGA, DGA[/FONT]
CHRISTIE'S

I find it strange that there is no hallmarks on the pin if this was a commemorative pin made for the Coronation of King Edward and Queen Alexandra in 1902.
This must have been a expensive pin when you look at the material it is made of.

I have been searching for anything that looks like my pin for years now and come up with nothing,and the say most likely one of many i doubt that.
If that was right it should have been some kind of hallmark.
And they say silver but that mite be platinum.
I have read that there was given out coronation gifts to the royal family`s members and distinguished guest from abroad that gift was a tie pin made in silver.
Can anyone help me on this.

Kjetil Martinsen

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 381
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 380
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 412
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 338
  • scan0007.jpg
    scan0007.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 386
  • 43669.jpg
    43669.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 1,837
I think two of the best wearers of tiara and diadems has to be Queen Mary.
Here she wars the delhi durbur with Cullinan III and IV - - The Girls of Great britian tiara

delhidurburcircletwithcwn0.jpg
girlsofgboriginalformmb5.jpg

Queen Alexandra - - The Kokoshnik Tiara.

queenalexwearinghercrowsm0.jpg
tiaraalexfringealexandruu5.jpg

AMEN!!!
The epitome of Royal Elegance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom