Bernadotte Family Jewels 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The steel jewellery

The cut steel tiara, earrings and a choker
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

A steel necklace and a bracelet, or the choker can be used as a bracelet

The cut steel bandeau and a comb

Gifts for Lady Louise Mountbatten, on her marriage to Crown Prince Gustaf Adolf of Sweden.
https://www.google.fi/imgres?imgurl...hUKEwix1evMoJjpAhWJxSoKHQn-BqEQMygEegUIARDbAQ

What is Birgitta having at her hair ar Amaranterbalen in 1956?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to you all for the wonderful links. Sweden is blessed with some wonderful jewels that are real works of art. And the provenance of these pieces makes them all the more interesting.

Thanks to you all for the wonderful links. Sweden is blessed with some wonderful jewels that are real works of art. And the provenance of these pieces makes them all the more interesting.

Well said, @Tarlita.

I don't know if that is Birgitta, but what stuck out to me is that the princess who is facing forward is wearing Princess Madeleine's "starter" tiara.

Gifts for Lady Louise Mountbatten, on her marriage to Crown Prince Gustaf Adolf of Sweden.
https://www.google.fi/imgres?imgurl...hUKEwix1evMoJjpAhWJxSoKHQn-BqEQMygEegUIARDbAQ

Interesting! It's not the small diamond tiara of Queen Louise, that one is being worn by Princess Margaretha at the same ball. And it must be Princess Desiree with the small aquamarine bandeau. When enlarging the picture, it reminds me of the aquamarine kokoshnik. Only that it looks smaller than the kokoshnik normally does. Could that be because the hair is covering so much of the tiara base?

I don't know if that is Birgitta, but what stuck out to me is that the princess who is facing forward is wearing Princess Madeleine's "starter" tiara.
Interesting! It's not the small diamond tiara of Queen Louise, that one is being worn by Princess Margaretha at the same ball. And it must be Princess Desiree with the small aquamarine bandeau. When enlarging the picture, it reminds me of the aquamarine kokoshnik. Only that it looks smaller than the kokoshnik normally does. Could that be because the hair is covering so much of the tiara base?
To me it looks like Princess Birgitta is wearing her mother's convertible bracelet bandeau that she later inherited. The last time (that I know of) that she wore it as a tiara was for her brother's first State visit to Germany. She later wore it as a bracelet at Crown Princess Victoria's wedding.
The one wearing Queen Louise's aquamarine bandeau is Princess Désirée.

I enlarged the picture and I'm sure that it is not the bracelet bandeau, which is straight and has a geometrical pattern. Also, it would be completely lost in this hairstyle, considering how far back it is placed. The outline of the jewel reminds me of the kokoshnik, and i think one can make out the sparkle of the large aquamarines. But the photo doesn't show enough detail to be 100% sure, imo.

Picture cropped to less than 20%.

Attachments

• mystery Birgitta.JPG
    mystery Birgitta.JPG
    13.6 KB · Views: 1,416
I enlarged the picture and I'm sure that it is not the bracelet bandeau, which is straight and has a geometrical pattern. Also, it would be completely lost in this hairstyle, considering how far back it is placed. The outline of the jewel reminds me of the kokoshnik, and i think one can make out the sparkle of the large aquamarines. But the photo doesn't show enough detail to be 100% sure, imo.

Picture cropped to less than 20%.
Hmm, I agree that some of the details look similar to the aquamarine kokoshnik but is that really small enough for nothing other than the tip to be hidden in what's not really that big of a hairdo?
Edit: It can't be the aquamarine kokoshnik since Princess Sibylla wore it. The link takes you to a copy of Kungliga magasinet featuring lots of pictures from the ball. Unfortunately none that has a clear picture of Birgitta's tiara. Could it be a brooch?

https://issuu.com/jessicanystrom/docs/kungliga201303_webbhel

Last edited:
Hmm, I agree that some of the details look similar to the aquamarine kokoshnik but is that really small enough for nothing other than the tip to be hidden in what's not really that big of a hairdo?
Edit: It can't be the aquamarine kokoshnik since Princess Sibylla wore it. The link takes you to a copy of Kungliga magasinet featuring lots of pictures from the ball. Unfortunately none that has a clear picture of Birgitta's tiara. Could it be a brooch?

https://issuu.com/jessicanystrom/docs/kungliga201303_webbhel

Could it be one of the bigger bracelets. The one Madeleine wore for her Wedding perhaps?

Last edited:
I don't think that it is CP Margaret's hairpiece either, the outline does not match, imo. And the bracelet that Madeleine wore at her wedding is would have a straight outline, while the jewel on Birgitta seems to much lower towards the sides. Are there any other bracelets that are wider in the middle and narrow towards the sides?

The tiara has so it possible.

But then again the diamond Colette would have more use then a tiara to her daughter in the future. Her children may choose to sell her remaining jewels when she dies as often happens with these branches. Would the king or Victoria buy it? They have similar pieces so perhaps not.

The tiara has so it possible.

But then again the diamond Colette would have more use then a tiara to her daughter in the future. Her children may choose to sell her remaining jewels when she dies as often happens with these branches. Would the king or Victoria buy it? They have similar pieces so perhaps not.

All very likely. I do hope that if the necklace were to be sold, the King buys it back either privately or through the Foundation, to keep the family jewel collection in place.

One does not need to look far, but seeing how the Danish jewel collection has contracted substantially in the last generation tells a story. Amongst other jewels, Benedikte and A-M received two tiaras each. Adding on the two that have been gifted or lent to the wives of Joachim, that is a total of 6 tiaras that have left the collection or 5, if you believe Marie's wedding tiara is rejoining the main line at some stage. Those have certainly not been replaced under QM II. The colelction of c12 tiaras under Queen Ingrid is now down to around 6 under QM II (Aigrette tiara, Baden Palmette, Pearl Poire, Turquoise bandeau, Rubies currently with Mary, Emerald tiara even though it is owned by the Danish state). I am not counting the Poppies or Mary's wedding tiara or the recently purchased Edwardian tiara in this count.

Last edited:
At the article about Victoria's hairdresser Peter Andersson from summer 2011 it is told that the epaulette earrings were Gustav III's shoulder epaulettes and then made to earrings.
Peter Andersson has been interested and fascinated about the royal jewellery even before he became Victoria's hairdresser and has a lot of books about jewellery. He tells at the article also that he got a lot of information from queen Silvia and the ladies-in-waiting when he did Victoria's hairdos on the wedding week.
"When the Crown Princess got married, I got to put on the diadem that Napoleon had made as a gift to Joséphine. I held it in my hand! I get goose bumps just thinking about it. It's such a craft, so beautiful that you go crazy. I know those diadems like running water. I knew them long before I was asked by the court."
"That arrow is a brooch in the royal collections. There was a lot of research and the royal ladies-in-waiting produced a lot of different things. The queen told me that she had used this arrow once. It was on a Spanish state visit. There is a painting by Goya where the ladies have arrows through their hair and she wanted to refer to it. Since then, it had not been used. I had done a sketch on the doll. The arrow I had made in cardboard box on the sketch. They were sitting at the front, so the Crown Princess had her back to the audience. For me it is an incredible honorary assignment to work with the Crown Princess."
För Modesverige i tiden _ bon.se

I haven't seen this brooch on princess Sibylla many times, but at Carl Gustaf's graduation she had it:

Princess Christina has worn it at Nobel Prize ceremonies many times

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe they are keeping it for Princess Estelle, if they bought it back...after all there is a name connection.

I believe they are different pendants and the one worn by Crown Princess Margareta is this one seen on Princess Sibylla https://members2.boardhost.com/royal-jewels/msg/archive/1370651512.html

I have not been on this forum for a long time, but i just love the read new posts
Someone finding new information or just asking questions and someone helping with an answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom