The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-04-2020, 01:29 PM
Courtier

it is unfortunate that there are no English subtitles -only Swedish original ... it would be really nice...

Old 04-04-2020, 01:31 PM
Courtier

Queen Silvias rings

In the video you can see Q. Silvias rings -very prominent is the ruby ... has it ever been confirmed when she started to wear - and if it was a gift from her husband?

Old 04-04-2020, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
That documentary was lovely to watch and I'm looking forward to the second episode.

But what surprised me, was that they attributed the cameo parure to Empress Josephine, even though there is no pictorial evidence of her wearing the parure. On the other hand, they didn't mention that there is evidence that it was worn by Josephine's younger daughter Queen Hortence of Holland. I didn't get the all of the voice over, so I might be mistaken. Could one of our Swedish members please explain what they said about the origin of the cameos?

They sayy it is beleived that Eugene de Beauharnis inherited the Cameos from his mother in 1814 but then they disappered and nothing is konwn about them until 22 years later in 1836 again when the Crownprincess Josephine wore them for a portrait.

Waht i found a bit strrange about the Leuchtenberg sapphires that they are where given to Joséphine for her wedding. Why not to her brother August as it was his birth for whioch occasion their mother got them. If Joséphin ehad iknherited them it would make more sense as August had died then and had no issue.
They also say when Queen Victoria owned the Set the original earrings disappeared because she never wore earrings. The next wearer Queen Louise however wore earrings therefore she used 2 of the 4 hairpins to make earinngs .

Quote:
Originally Posted by countess felicitas View Post
it is unfortunate that there are no English subtitles -only Swedish original ... it would be really nice...

If you watch it with Google Chrome and then put on the swedish subtitles they will be translated in your language.

Old 04-04-2020, 04:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmily View Post
I need to rewatch! I didn't think about using CC and watched the entire episode not knowing what anyone was saying! Still enjoyed it very much.
I know, its worth a repeat. At first I watched without CC and was just fascinated by the exquisite beauty of the jewels. Once I got the English CC set up I then marveled at the historic details surrounding the jewels. Looking forward to second episode.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
They sayy it is beleived that Eugene de Beauharnis inherited the Cameos from his mother in 1814 but then they disappered and nothing is konwn about them until 22 years later in 1836 again when the Crownprincess Josephine wore them for a portrait.
That is what they say. But they leave out that the tiara has been worn by Eugene's sister, Queen Hortense of Holland. Here is a link to the miniature: Queen Hortense of Holland wearing a cameo tiara now in the royal jewel collection of Sweden (auctioned) | Grand Ladies | gogm

The pic was originally posted by Gabriel on the RJOTWMB. He had found it on the website of an auction house and shared it on the board. He also told that he had sent the picture to the Swedish court and that he had received a very nice answer from Queen Silvia's lady-in-waiting, acknowledging that the Queen was very interested in this find.

What I didn't get is how they know that the tiara has been inherited by Eugene and that it originally had belonged to Josephine.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
That is what they say. But they leave out that the tiara has been worn by Eugene's sister, Queen Hortense of Holland. Here is a link to the miniature: Queen Hortense of Holland wearing a cameo tiara now in the royal jewel collection of Sweden (auctioned) | Grand Ladies | gogm

The pic was originally posted by Gabriel on the RJOTWMB. He had found it on the website of an auction house and shared it on the board. He also told that he had sent the picture to the Swedish court and that he had received a very nice answer from Queen Silvia's lady-in-waiting, acknowledging that the Queen was very interested in this find.

What I didn't get is how they know that the tiara has been inherited by Eugene and that it originally had belonged to Josephine.
The portrait of Hortense wearing the cameos was made, when Josephine was still alive. This miniature painted after a portrait of Hortense by Anne-Louis Girodet was made in 1812, Josephine died in 1814.
thomasset, l. portrait of hortense de beauharnais, queenÂ*ofÂ*holla||| british watercolours & drawings 1550-1850 ||| sotheby's l06170lot3b89jen

Why would it be difficult to believe, that Josephine loaned the cameo tiara to her daughter and she wore it when the portrait was made. At the documentary it was said that in some document it could be interpreted that Eugene inherited the cameo parure from his mother.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
The portrait of Hortense wearing the cameos was made, when Josephine was still alive. This miniature painted after a portrait of Hortense by Anne-Louis Girodet was made in 1812, Josephine died in 1814.
thomasset, l. portrait of hortense de beauharnais, queenÂ*ofÂ*holla||| british watercolours & drawings 1550-1850 ||| sotheby's l06170lot3b89jen

Why would it be difficult to believe, that Josephine loaned the cameo tiara to her daughter and she wore it when the portrait was made. At the documentary it was said that in some document it could be interpreted that Eugene inherited the cameo parure from his mother.

Yes of course empress Joséphine could have lonaed to Cameos to Joséphine. What i have been wondering is if the other parts of the Set where oringalle menat to go together with the tiara as the tiara ist set it red gold and in the other Parts diamonds are used instead of red gold.
And one could also see that when Princess Ingrid wore the Set in 1933 the necklace still had four rows of pearls instead of the three it had now.

Old 04-05-2020, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Thank you, I didn't get the detail about the document. When you say "could be interpreted", does that mean that it is not 100% clear that this parure was meant?
Old 04-05-2020, 12:58 PM
Majesty

Hedwig Elizabeth Charlotte of Holstein-Gottorp was the Queen Consort of King Charles XIII. What is the tiara she is wearing? Did Queen Desideria ever wear it?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...way_c_1809.jpg
Old 04-05-2020, 01:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
[...]
And one could also see that when Princess Ingrid wore the Set in 1933 the necklace still had four rows of pearls instead of the three it had now.
I hope Queen Silvia will once restore it to four rows of pearls. Can't be that complicared or too expensive.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:29 PM
Courtier

I checked online with the Court Jeweller and a Cameo tiara timeline is given which coincides with much of what is said in the SVT video. Tiara Timeline: The Cameo Tiara | The Court Jeweller
Old 04-07-2020, 03:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

In Svensk Damtidning:
Victoria about favorite Karl Johan diadem
In "Royal Jewellery" at SVT, Crown Princess Victoria tells for the first time openly about her strong relationship with - and her reverence for - the favorite Karl Johan diadem.
“Every piece of jewelry in the Swedish royal house carries a story, stories about love, power and politics. It is about women, women who tie Sweden's history with different countries around the world. Who were they?" This is how the program manager Sara Bull launches the Royal Jewellery series , which is currently being shown on SVT.
- I feel a huge respect for the jewelry. For all the people who carried them. What if the jewelry could speak! Tell us about everything they have "experienced", says Crown Princess Victoria.
One of the crown princess's absolute favorite jewellery is the so-called Karl Johan diadem. Or the Six Button Diadem as it is also called. The diadem is relatively new, but the origin is old.
The story behind the Karl Johan diadem
Oscar II was the last king to be crowned in Sweden. And notice his coronation crown. Do you recognize the rosettes? Yes exactly! These are the ones who today adorn the Karl Johan diadem, or the Six Button diadem.
- That diadem has a slightly different story, just because it is not made as a diadem from the beginning. The rosettes come from Lovisa Ulrika's time. It's staggering! It is only when you pair the jewellery with a person that you really understand how old they really are!, Crown Princess Victoria tells at SVT.
Lovisa Ulrika wore the rosettes as decoration in her hair and clothes. And after she had worn them, they were placed on the coronation crown, by Karl XIV Johan. In 1909, the rosettes were removed, at the initiative of Queen Victoria, but then fell into oblivion. The existing Karl Johan diadem, as we know it today, was created in 1976.
The first to wear the diadem, with the rosettes in its new form, was Princess Lilian. The diadem has also been worn by the Queen and by Princess Christina. But most of our crown princess!
- I'm getting a little touched! These jewellery has been around a lot! I think about the craft, and how the people have taken care of them, says the Crown Princess.
She also reveals a habit she has adopted. Something she always does when she comes home from a royal party!
- I have the habit of always looking at the jewellery, no matter how late I come home, and checking all the brackets so that nothing has fallen, Victoria says.
Victoria om favoritsmycket Karl Johan-diademet _ Svensk Dam
Old 04-07-2020, 03:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

There's no doubt the history behind Swedens royal jewels is fascinating. Every piece has an interesting provenance and are beautiful works of art by themselves.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
In Svensk Damtidning:
Victoria about favorite Karl Johan diadem
In "Royal Jewellery" at SVT, Crown Princess Victoria tells for the first time openly about her strong relationship with - and her reverence for - the favorite Karl Johan diadem.
“Every piece of jewelry in the Swedish royal house carries a story, stories about love, power and politics. It is about women, women who tie Sweden's history with different countries around the world. Who were they?" This is how the program manager Sara Bull launches the Royal Jewellery series , which is currently being shown on SVT.
- I feel a huge respect for the jewelry. For all the people who carried them. What if the jewelry could speak! Tell us about everything they have "experienced", says Crown Princess Victoria.
One of the crown princess's absolute favorite jewellery is the so-called Karl Johan diadem. Or the Six Button Diadem as it is also called. The diadem is relatively new, but the origin is old.
The story behind the Karl Johan diadem
Oscar II was the last king to be crowned in Sweden. And notice his coronation crown. Do you recognize the rosettes? Yes exactly! These are the ones who today adorn the Karl Johan diadem, or the Six Button diadem.
- That diadem has a slightly different story, just because it is not made as a diadem from the beginning. The rosettes come from Lovisa Ulrika's time. It's staggering! It is only when you pair the jewellery with a person that you really understand how old they really are!, Crown Princess Victoria tells at SVT.
Lovisa Ulrika wore the rosettes as decoration in her hair and clothes. And after she had worn them, they were placed on the coronation crown, by Karl XIV Johan. In 1909, the rosettes were removed, at the initiative of Queen Victoria, but then fell into oblivion. The existing Karl Johan diadem, as we know it today, was created in 1976.
The first to wear the diadem, with the rosettes in its new form, was Princess Lilian. The diadem has also been worn by the Queen and by Princess Christina. But most of our crown princess!
- I'm getting a little touched! These jewellery has been around a lot! I think about the craft, and how the people have taken care of them, says the Crown Princess.
She also reveals a habit she has adopted. Something she always does when she comes home from a royal party!
- I have the habit of always looking at the jewellery, no matter how late I come home, and checking all the brackets so that nothing has fallen, Victoria says.
Victoria om favoritsmycket Karl Johan-diademet _ Svensk Dam

I am surprised she likes this sexknappsdiademet is her favourite. It it were 7 buttons, allez... that would improve enormously. I understand the amazing historic value, but from all what she has worn, this one is esthetically the lesser pleasing for the eye, to me that is. My advice would be, make one extra button, an exact copy of one of the six and put it on a frame with all seven.
Old 04-07-2020, 04:36 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I am surprised she likes this sexknappsdiademet is her favourite. It it were 7 buttons, allez... that would improve enormously. I understand the amazing historic value, but from all what she has worn, this one is esthetically the lesser pleasing for the eye, to me that is. My advice would be, make one extra button, an exact copy of one of the six and put it on a frame with all seven.

And remove the lower shorter row of diamonds on the frame.

Old 04-07-2020, 05:00 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The late Princess Lillian wearing the Six Button Tiara with the diamond base almost out of sight.
https://images.app.goo.gl/LHCHxwRxPeKbqQWL9
Old 04-07-2020, 05:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
The late Princess Lillian wearing the Six Button Tiara with the diamond base almost out of sight.
https://images.app.goo.gl/LHCHxwRxPeKbqQWL9

In her case and also with Princess Christina it work because of their puffoy hairstyles and when the tiara is placed a bit backwards. But not with Cron Princess Victoria's hairstyle.

Ad the only time Queen Silvia wore the tiara it was a disaster as then the frame was covered in white and full visible.

Old 04-07-2020, 05:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Quote:
And remove the lower shorter row of diamonds on the frame.
All good suggestions. The other option might be to create a slight variation in the heights at which the buttons are placed (on a base not dissimilar to that of the Dutch pearl button tiara) or perhaps add upright pearls or emeralds between the buttons (like the star and pearl tiara of Princess Benedikte).
Old 04-07-2020, 05:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
All good suggestions. The other option might be to create a slight variation in the heights at which the buttons are placed (it on a base not dissimilar to that of the Dutch pearl button tiara) or perhaps add upright pearls or emeralds between the buttons (like the star and pearl tiara of Princess Benedikte).

That with the pearls is a good Idea. They could use the pearls which could be used on the Leuchtenberg sapphire tiara for it.

Old 04-07-2020, 08:08 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
That with the pearls is a good Idea. They could use the pearls which could be used on the Leuchtenberg sapphire tiara for it.
Indeed. I am also keen to explore the use of emeralds in a tiara, as that is the one very obvious gap in the Swedish jewel collection.

Tags
jewellery, past, royal, sweden