The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-02-2020, 05:30 AM
Courtier

It was a wonderful first episode, perhaps not bringing us that much new information, but a lot of close up footages.

I have to watch it again tonight!

Old 04-02-2020, 02:45 PM
Gentry

It was amazing. I really like the Swedish royal ladies. The jewelry shown was amazing, what a bling, details, art etc. Fantastic. Too bad "my" Queen, Sonja of Norway, rejected to join the TV show. As she have the former Bernadotte jewels - Leuchtenberg emerald parure and the Josefina diamond tiara. Maybe another time...

Old 04-02-2020, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Did you learn anything new on Royal Jewelry?
Old 04-03-2020, 01:48 AM
Courtier

A kind of rediscovery for the Swedish jewels to me. I always admire the craftsmanship of the Cameo tiara, but I never consider myself a big fans of it. And I just fall in love with this one after watching this. The Cut Steel, I never realize it can be that stunning, I can understand why Victoria like it now. No precious stones, only steel and brass (not even gold!), but as delicate as the Cameo, as sparkling as the Braganza (I realize the motifs are acorns and oak leaves until now). These two are simply art.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkl View Post
Too bad "my" Queen, Sonja of Norway, rejected to join the TV show. As she have the former Bernadotte jewels - Leuchtenberg emerald parure and the Josefina diamond tiara. Maybe another time...
Maybe a Norwegian series, that will be nice doesn't it?
Old 04-03-2020, 02:53 AM
Courtier

What I thought was most interesting concerned the Leuchtenberg tiara and the pearls. Previously, I had understood that the pearls that was mounted in the Leuchtenberg tiara, which is shown in a painting of Queen Josephine, had been sold or simply gone. But, in the documentary it was stated that these pearls still exist in the collection, some used for other purposes. Queen Silvia explained that the pearls would be both beautiful and conventient, as the tiara would be 2 in. She continued, and explained that the sapphires are fixed in the tiara today.

What I think is interesting is why the pearls aren't used if the Queen likes the idea and they still exist. It shouldn't be that hard for the Court Jeweler to adjust the tiara and create a flexible solution so both the sapphires and pearls could be used.
Old 04-03-2020, 03:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingen View Post
What I think is interesting is why the pearls aren't used if the Queen likes the idea and they still exist. It shouldn't be that hard for the Court Jeweler to adjust the tiara and create a flexible solution so both the sapphires and pearls could be used.
I think the Queen has always been reluctant to alter the Swedish royal jewels in any way. The only change that I am aware of her making is mounting the amethyst necklace on a frame to create a diadem, but even that is a reversible change.

I agree with you, it would be great if the tiara and necklace could be altered to make the sapphires interchangeable with pearls, and / or other stones. Think turquoises, emeralds, rubies or even aquamarines!
Old 04-03-2020, 04:02 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingen View Post
Maybe because the frame of the leuchtenberg sapphire tiara is as old as the jewels? maybe they concider it almost a museum piece that can not be changed.
Old 04-03-2020, 04:04 AM
Gentry

Maybe there will be a Norwegian show later. I know Trond Norèn Isaksen (Royal historian) was interviewed in Stockholm to tell about the Norwegian emerald parure and maybe the Josefina diamonds. Both former Bernadotte jewelry. And the Sonja emeralds are sister parure with the Silvia sapphire parure.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Maybe because the frame of the leuchtenberg sapphire tiara is as old as the jewels? maybe they concider it almost a museum piece that can not be changed.

But if it was earlier interchangalbe with the pearl and now it is not anymore bacause the sapphires have been ficxed it was changed at some point.

Perhaps the could create a new tiara for the pearls because it is a waste to let the pearls simply in the safe and don't use them anymore. And a pearl tiara woul be a welcome addition to the collection.

Old 04-03-2020, 05:24 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
But if it was earlier interchangalbe with the pearl and now it is not anymore bacause the sapphires have been ficxed it was changed at some point.

Perhaps the could create a new tiara for the pearls because it is a waste to let the pearls simply in the safe and don't use them anymore. And a pearl tiara woul be a welcome addition to the collection.
I do agree. But another issue is that there are much fewer tiara happenings now, and there will probably be less in the future. Therefore the swedes can be happy they have lots of other wearable jewelry other than tiaras. In the Norwegian royal family the loss of jewelry other than tiaras is a bigger loss, because they probably need more jewelry to daytime less formal events than evening galas. Maybe.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Y.CII View Post
Maybe a Norwegian series, that will be nice doesn't it?
Quote:
Too bad "my" Queen, Sonja of Norway, rejected to join the TV show. As she have the former Bernadotte jewels - Leuchtenberg emerald parure and the Josefina diamond tiara. Maybe another time...
Quote:
Maybe there will be a Norwegian show later. I know Trond Norèn Isaksen (Royal historian) was interviewed in Stockholm to tell about the Norwegian emerald parure and maybe the Josefina diamonds.
Unfortunately Trond wrote on Facebook a few weeks ago that the planned episode about the Norwegian royal jewellery of Swedish origin had to be scrapped because the Norwegians have always refused to discuss what is their personal property. The only exception being in his book about Princess Astrid. I guess this also explains why no Norwegians took part in the Danish documentary a few years ago.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:46 AM
Courtier

The SVT part one episode "The Royal Jewelry" was excellent. I used closed caption in English which made all the difference. I was unaware of the historical significance Napoleon and first wife Josephine had on the Leuchtenberg Sapphire tiara and parure and the Cameo tiara and parure making there way to Sweden through Joséphine of Leuchtenberg when she married King Oscar I of Sweden and Norway. Getting to see these pieces close up, and in action with narrative from Queen Sylvia, Princess Christina and Crown Princess Victoria was a treat. I thoroughly enjoyed this program.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:59 AM
Gentry

The Queen said that they are not using the pearls because the sapphire are now stuck but she thought the idea was really smart. They also said the pearls are now used as earrings etc so not gathering dust.

Oh how I love the Swedish RF. I absolutely loved this episode and cannot wait for the next one.

Thanks for the Chrome tips!
Old 04-03-2020, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Sounds like an excellent series.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

That documentary was lovely to watch and I'm looking forward to the second episode.

But what surprised me, was that they attributed the cameo parure to Empress Josephine, even though there is no pictorial evidence of her wearing the parure. On the other hand, they didn't mention that there is evidence that it was worn by Josephine's younger daughter Queen Hortence of Holland. I didn't get the all of the voice over, so I might be mistaken. Could one of our Swedish members please explain what they said about the origin of the cameos?

Edit: Also interesting: they explained that the carving of cameos was considered an elaborate art, and often the carvers even signed their work like painters would sign their paintings. That's why some of the cameos can be attributed to some of the most elaborate carvers of the era.
Old 04-04-2020, 03:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

It has been told that queen Silvia found the Cut Steel parure from the cupboards of the Palace. But in the program historian Göran Alm tells that he was working with an exhibition about king Karl XIV Johan's time in the 1970s, and went to the so-called Silver Chamber to pick up some items to the exhibition. And then he saw a pair of jewelry boxes, and was very surprised, he didn't expect to see jewelry there. He opened the box and found a magnificent diadem from late Napoleonic time, the Cut Steel Tiara.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:06 AM
Majesty

I'm a little suspicious at that because it isn't the only Steel Cut tiara and we would have seen the lesser tiara. While Victoria looks like a queen in the large feathered tiara Sophia is the only one who really rocks the small one.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Imagine finding such diadems by complete surpise!
Old 04-04-2020, 10:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Daly View Post
The SVT part one episode "The Royal Jewelry" was excellent. I used closed caption in English which made all the difference. I was unaware of the historical significance Napoleon and first wife Josephine had on the Leuchtenberg Sapphire tiara and parure and the Cameo tiara and parure making there way to Sweden through Joséphine of Leuchtenberg when she married King Oscar I of Sweden and Norway. Getting to see these pieces close up, and in action with narrative from Queen Sylvia, Princess Christina and Crown Princess Victoria was a treat. I thoroughly enjoyed this program.
I need to rewatch! I didn't think about using CC and watched the entire episode not knowing what anyone was saying! Still enjoyed it very much.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

It seems the steel cut jewels are very fragile, which explains these are seldom worn. It can break down easily.

Tags
jewellery, past, royal, sweden