Alexandra, Countess of Frederiksborg (formerly Princess of Denmark) Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Denmark royal tiaras

Denmark's princesses wearing the royal tiaras: click here
It is a page I made for collecting pics of Mary and Alexandra (and soon others) wearing tiaras.:flowers:

According to Ekstra Bladet the danish Chief of Court Ove Ullerup says that Alexandra is free to sell her jewels as they are her personal property. This mean that her historical important art nouveau tiara which belonged to the Queens Alexandrine and Margrethe II may disappear from the royal danish house which I think wil be a disaster... Please - don't let it happen...!

:sad:

I hope she'd keep her tiara to be passed on to the wife of one of her sons.

Sophus said:
According to Ekstra Bladet the danish Chief of Court Ove Ullerup says that Alexandra is free to sell her jewels as they are her personal property. This mean that her historical important art nouveau tiara which belonged to the Queens Alexandrine and Margrethe II may disappear from the royal danish house which I think wil be a disaster... Please - don't let it happen...!

:sad:

I agree.

This tiara should have never been given to Alexandra as her personal property, rather, should have been in her possession for as long as her marriage lasted (as is the precedent with Mary and the Desiree parure).

Well..I am thinking that the Queen just assumed that the marriage would last.

From what we know of Alexandra (at least IMO), I think she will not sell the tiara. She seems to recognize the the importance of family heirtage for her sons sake.

I'm quite surprised that the Alexandrine tiara wasn't placed in the crown collection. Since Queen Alexandrine's mother was an Imperial Russian archduchess, a lot of her jewels came from the Russian court. I don't know if the Alexandrine tiara came from this collection but it would be sad for it to leave the Danish royal collection if it is.

ysbel said:
I'm quite surprised that the Alexandrine tiara wasn't placed in the crown collection. Since Queen Alexandrine's mother was an Imperial Russian archduchess, a lot of her jewels came from the Russian court. I don't know if the Alexandrine tiara came from this collection but it would be sad for it to leave the Danish royal collection if it is.

No matter if the tiara is russian or danish it is an important part of the danish royal jewels as it has been worn by two queens of Denmark. Arthistorical it is also important as it is the only piece of jewelry where the diamonds are set in loose settings letting the stones be seen from all angels - a fashion popular around the art nouveau years.

:flowers:

I highly doubt that Alexandra will sell the tiara! It's not like she's destitute and in need of money! My bet is that it will go to one of her sons.

As far as the tiara, that was the only tiara that was given to her in her almost decade-long service to Denmark as princess. If the Queen had given her three of four tiaras, then I'd be concerned about where they would go, but given that Denmark has quite a number of tiaras in their arsenal, I don't think the gift of Alexandra's tiara will make a dent on it. Plus after Alexandra's death, it'll probably be retained by her sons which are STILL a part of the royal family, so what's the problem?

Zonk said:
Well..I am thinking that the Queen just assumed that the marriage would last.

From what we know of Alexandra (at least IMO), I think she will not sell the tiara. She seems to recognize the the importance of family heirtage for her sons sake.

Oh, Im sure all would have liked the marriage to have lasted but I think a tiara purchased for Alexandra (like mary's was for her) would have been a more suitable option. Then again, this was before Mary's time so things were of course different.

Sophus said:
No matter if the tiara is russian or danish it is an important part of the danish royal jewels as it has been worn by two queens of Denmark. Arthistorical it is also important as it is the only piece of jewelry where the diamonds are set in loose settings letting the stones be seen from all angels - a fashion popular around the art nouveau years.

I totally agree, Sophus. Is there a picture of Queen Alexandrine wearing the tiara? I know she didn't like jewelry but I was hoping to see at least one picture of Alexandrine with her tiara. I've only seen the tiara on Alexandra.

ysbel said:
I totally agree, Sophus. Is there a picture of Queen Alexandrine wearing the tiara? I know she didn't like jewelry but I was hoping to see at least one picture of Alexandrine with her tiara. I've only seen the tiara on Alexandra.

I have been searching for pictures of Alexandrine in gala at the Royal Danish Library but with no result. She is only pictured with her russian tiara (today owned by the Count of Rosenborg her grandson), the Danish pearl and diamond tiara (today owned by the Queen), and her german wedding diamond and sapphire tiara (broken and used for new jewels). She was not the great lover of jewels and prefered to live a quiet life. For example did she never wear the ruby and diamond parure that Mary has today and she gave it to Ingrid without having worn it herself...

Margrethe was giving the tiara when she turned 18 and she is pictured with it many times as it was her major tiara until she became queen in 1972. She gave it to Alexandra in 1995 as a wedding present.

Thanks for looking Sophus. :flowers: I had a sad feeling that would be the case.

an Imperial Russian archduchess,

Grand Duchess, not Archduchess. Archduchesses came from Austria and other German empires and duchies. The Russian Royals were called Grand Dukes for the males and Grand Duchesses for the females.

Actually the real title was in Russian, which I can't remember now although I do remember reading an article that neither archduchess or grand duchess was considered a really good translation.

The closer translation was I believe something like Grand Princess but that translation never caught on in the English speaking world.

ysbel said:
Actually the real title was in Russian, which I can't remember now although I do remember reading an article that neither archduchess or grand duchess was considered a really good translation.
The closer translation was I believe something like Grand Princess but that translation never caught on in the English speaking world.
In Russian it is Velikiy Kniaz, which the purists translate as "Grand Prince". Common usage is "Grand Duke", which is not a literal translation.

Tzu An said:
Archduchesses came from Austria and other German empires and duchies.
Since the mid-to-late 1400s 'Archduke' and 'Archduchess' have been used exclusively by members of the Habsburg dynasty, and were (are) "of Austria".

Last edited:
UserDane said:
I wish they would start making more stringent provisions regarding tiaras etc. in the Danish royal family. IMO it would be better to let the various royal ladies share from a collected pool - like it seems they do in Holland - but keep it 'close' to the regent.
Also think it was such a pity that the late Queen Ingrid bequeathed the Khedive tiara (the 'wedding' tiara) away from the DRF. With the exception of the small tiara bought for Mary for her wedding (she should have worn the Khedive!) there does not seem to be many tiara acquisitions (not counting the poppy thing!;) ). They should hold on to what they have IMO.

That also my thought especially as the have not to much tiaras and some of the Jewels like the emerald Parure and the big diamond necklace can not worn abroad. Queen Margrethe has for big State Visits abroad only the big floral tiara and the Pearl Tiara with necklace and Brooch and the smaller ones.

Alex will not sell the tiara. Yes, she was given it upon her marriage, but when she dies it will go back to the crown. What they mean by jewels are her personal jewelry she has collected when she married Joachim. For instance several very large pearls etc.

Warren said:
In Russian it is Velikiy Kniaz, which the purists translate as "Grand Prince". Common usage is "Grand Duke", which is not a literal translation.

Since the mid-to-late 1400s 'Archduke' and 'Archduchess' have been used exclusively by members of the Habsburg dynasty, and were (are) "of Austria".

Thanks Warren I knew you'd know. :)

There was a wonderful site on the Danish royal jewels which I can't find any more. But it had a great description of the difference between the jewels that were not allowed to be sold or even taken out of Denmark and the jewels that had no such restriction.

I thought the jewels with restrictions were called the Danish crown jewels but I can't find the reference now. Does anyone know what they are called? i believe the ancient pearl necklace that Queen Ingrid had restored by wearing it every night was part of that collection.

ysbel said:

There was a wonderful site on the Danish royal jewels which I can't find any more. But it had a great description of the difference between the jewels that were not allowed to be sold or even taken out of Denmark and the jewels that had no such restriction.

I thought the jewels with restrictions were called the Danish crown jewels but I can't find the reference now. Does anyone know what they are called? i believe the ancient pearl necklace that Queen Ingrid had restored by wearing it every night was part of that collection.

That's correct ysbel.

All pieces belonging to the Danish Crown Jewels (housed at Rosenborg Castle) are not allowed to leave Denmark.

The more notable pieces that can travel abroad are...

The Oranje-Nassau suite
The Floral Aigrette
The Russian Sapphires
The Queen Desiree parure
The Baden Palmette tiara

ysbel said:

The pieces who are not allowed to taken abroad belong to the Crown Jewels and are on display at Rosenborg Castle.
The include
- the emerald parure (Tiara, Necklace, Brooch Earrings)
- a seth with pearls and Rubies (Pearl-Necklace, Brooch, earrings)
- the big diamond necklace worn by the Queen at the Wedding of Frederk
and Mary
- the big floral brooch worn at the Wedding of Frederik and Mary and the
earrings who go with it
- the diamond belt set

and of Course the different and Regalias Crowns but the are not in use anymore.

As i have read on the Royal-Jewels MB the Danish Royals Jewels Site will be made new and then be reopened.

Thank you Madame Royale. :flowers:

Thanks to your post I went to the Danish side of the Rosenborg Castle site and found some amazing pictures of jewels in the Danish Crown collection. The English side of the site shows less than half the jewels of the Danish side.

Rosenborg - Ska*tkammeret, 3. Sektion

This is the pearl necklace that Queen Ingrid wore every night to bring it back to its luster. When she found it, the pearls were totally black.

Smykkesæt

Sophus said:
IMargrethe was giving the tiara when she turned 18 and she is pictured with it many times as it was her major tiara until she became queen in 1972. She gave it to Alexandra in 1995 as a wedding present.
At the Scandinavia Royal Message Board, some pictures have just been posted on occasion of princess Astrid Mrs. Astrid Ferner's 75th birthday. The first picture includes the then princess Margrethe wearing the drop diamond tiara if anyone wants to have a look - The Scandinavian Royals Message Board: Re: Norway: Princess Astrid Mrs. Ferner's 75th birthday

ysbel said:
Thank you Madame Royale. :flowers:
Thanks to your post I went to the Danish side of the Rosenborg Castle site and found some amazing pictures of jewels in the Danish Crown collection.
You're welcome ysbel :flowers:
I've had the pleasure of visiting Rosenborg a few times and I've loved every visit! The Danish crown jewels are truly some of the loveliest pieces.

Last edited by a moderator:
UserDane said:
At the Scandinavia Royal Message Board, some pictures have just been posted on occasion of princess Astrid Mrs. Astrid Ferner's 75th birthday. The first picture includes the then princess Margrethe wearing the drop diamond tiara if anyone wants to have a look - The Scandinavian Royals Message Board: Re: Norway: Princess Astrid Mrs. Ferner's 75th birthday
And on the Royal Jewels MB there is a group-photo from the Coronation of Emperor Nikolaus II. in 1896 where you can see Grand Duchess Anastasia of Mecklenburg-Schwerin wearing the Tiara. They write that it was stretched over an Frame so that it looks more than a russian Kokoshnik. Click on the photo it is an HQ.
Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: 1896 Coronation HQ Picture

Stefan said:
And on the Royal Jewels MB there is a group-photo from the Coronation of Emperor Nikolaus II. in 1896 where you can see Grand Duchess Anastasia of Mecklenburg-Schwerin wearing the Tiara. They write that it was stretched over an Frame so that it looks more than a russian Kokoshnik. Click on the photo it is an HQ.
Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: 1896 Coronation HQ Picture

It's a totally different tiara. It's easier to see detail of the tiara in the book 'Jewels of the Tsars' by Prince Michael of Greece and the design is very different from the Alexandrine tiara. The only similarity is that there are arches in both.

Best regards,

Ayvee

Any sight of an engagement ring yet?

LadyK said:
Any sight of an engagement ring yet?
I wonder if he can compete to the smashing 2.5 carat diamond and ruby ring she got from Jo! Alexandra was soooo in love then :sad: (sigh!)

I don't think her new ring has to compete with her other one. What ever ring her fiancee gave her he gave her because he loved her and i'm sure she appreciates and loves it. Just as I am sure she loves him.

Is it me or was the earrings from the wedding today the same as she wore when she first met the press at her engagement to prince Joachim in 1995???

And - the necklace? - it was a present from Joachim in the first year of their marriage....!!!

Strange choice of jewels for a second wedding!

?

:ohmy: :ermm:

I was just going to ask the same thing... I too have a hunch that her jewels today (here) were gifts from Joachim.

It seems a little strange- someone who seems to be happily leaving a royal life behind wearing jewels from this period of her life at her next wedding.

Back
Top Bottom