Princess Alexandra (1870-1891), later Grand Duchess Alexandra Georgievna of Russia

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snowflower

Courtier
City
here and there
Country
Greece
Hello everyone! I thought it would be nice to start a thread with informations about his unfortunate daughter of King George and Queen Olga

She was born in Corfu and was the first daughter of K George and Q Olga. she was nicknamed " Aline" and " Greek Alix" When she was 19 she got married to Grand Duke Paul Alexandrovitch and moved to Russia . She died during her second premature childbirth ( from eclapsia I think) aged 21. I believe that 's why Greece's first maternity clinic was named after her ( Maieutirion Alexandra). Her Children where Maria Pavlova the younger who was married to the Swedish Royal family and Dimitri Pavlovitch , one of Rasputin's murderers.

Her brother Nicholas wrote about her " She had one of those sweet and lovable natures that endearded everyone who came in touch with her. She was young and beuatiful, and ever since she was a child, life looked as if it had nothing but joy and happiness in store for her".......

the "blond princess" ( she was often called that in Greece) was very much loved by Greeks for her sweetness and when she boarded to the ship to leave for Russia to get married people where actually crying at the port because she was leaving . A Greek poet Souris actually wrote a poem about this : " if I ever go (to Athens) I 'll tell to Alexandra not to take this Russian for her Husband" . She was so well liked that the government immediately agreed for a dowry and raised 400.000 drachmas ( which is a lot by today's standards) so that the could have financial security. :flowers:.

It's such a pity that she perished so young and left two babies orphans...

Last edited by a moderator:
I read that she jumped into a moored boat but fell as she jumped. The next day, while at a ball, she collapsed and began her premature labor. Such a pity to die so young.

Such a sad loss to the peoples of Greece and Russia. A 'what might have been' as opposed to the striking comet which was her life.

Indeed a loss. But it least she was fortunate enough to have lived in happiness until her death. She grew up in a stable and happy family where the parents loved each other and they both loved dearly their children, her marriage was a love match from both sides, she never faced serious difficulties in her life or a serious illness and she became the mother of a pretty and healthy baby girl ( She never had the chance to see Dimitri because she fell in a coma right after he was delivered). These things were not granted at that time, not even for princesses.

Her two children were then left in the care of Serge and Ella, correct?

Her two children were then left in the care of Serge and Ella, correct?

Yes and they were well cared I must say. However, I believe that even though their Uncle and Aunt really adored them, they always felt the loss of their mother... Maria at least , who was always accusing Ella for her motherly skills. They would have turned out better perhaps if their mother was still around for them.

As often, unfortunately, is the case when children loose a parent or parents at an early age. I just finished a book on Ella

As often, unfortunately, is the case when children loose a parent or parents at an early age. I just finished a book on Ella
Does it includes any informations about Ella's relationships with her sister in law Alexandra or about Maria and Dimitri?

A few years ago I found in a book a description of the Grand Duchess's delivery and death( I don't remember the title anymore.) Is was stated that Alexandra and Paul were at Illinksoye as guest of Serge when Alexandra had the accident( you were right Vassilisos Markos, that's what happened), but nothing appeared to be wrong and noone worried The next day during a ball, Alexandra collapsed and a premature birth began. They tried to fetch a doctor, but only a midwife was available, in fact a young midwife who said herself she didn't have the experience to deal with such a difficult labor. After many hours full of agony Dimitri was born and he looked so tiny and blue - ish that everyone 's attention was on him. When after a few minutes they returned to Alexandra, she had fallen into a comma. The Grand Duke send a telegraph to his in laws and they rushed to Russia. Reportedely when Queen Olga first saw her she bacame as pale as a ghost. her parents kissed her in her forehead and the King who was on the verge of tears ( he was dotting on her because she was the spitting image of her mother) took her hand into his and caressed it but she wouldn't respond. She died about two hours later ( 2 days after the labor) without ever regaining consciousness.

When Queen Olga was on her deathbeth, one of the last orders she left to her grandson George II was to make sure that if the family ever returned to Greece, Alexandra would be reburied in Tatoi. She didn't want her daughter's grave to be in a country where no one of the family could ever step foot again ( at that time that's how it appeared).

Before I said that Q Olga and Alexandra there indentical. Here two pictures to compare :

The do look alike I must say

Attachments

• queen olga.jpg
    queen olga.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 2,069
  • alexandra.jpg
    alexandra.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 1,054
Does it includes any informations about Ella's relationships with her sister in law Alexandra or about Maria and Dimitri?

YES! YES! It does... I really enjoyed it.
"Ella: Princess, Saint, and Martyr" by Christopher Warwick

I read it on a flight from Los Angeles to Auckland -I couldn't put it down.... the first day of my vacation I had to sleep b/c I didn't on the plane!!!

The do look alike I must say

They sure do look alike!!

An Imperial Russian menu for the wedding banquet of Grand Duke Paul Alexandrovich and Princess Alexandra, dated June 4, 1889. depicted a Romanov Imperial crown above the arms of the Russian Empire and the Kingdom of Greece draped by the flags of Russia and Greece with Cyrillic initials of the Grand Duke and Alexandra, Princess of Greece.
:imperialrussia:

Back
Top Bottom