Prince Andrew (1882-1944) and Alice, Princess Andrew Of Greece (1885-1969)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Splodger

Aristocracy
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone any thoughts on this often forgotten and in my opinion, amazing woman? I have found there is very little information about her, however by chance I disovoerd a recently published biography of her by Hugo Vickers. Whilst the book has alot of detail which at times can be dry, the story of Alice is one of a remarkable woman that diserves a higher level of awarness.

In the UK, very little is known of her despite the fact she is Prince Phillips (Born Prince of Greece) mother and grandmother to the heir to the British Throne. She has been over shadowed by the Queen Mother, however whilst she was not British I wish more people knew about her here. Her bravery and dedication to her adopted home of Greece is inspirational. The Biography naturaly follows her life from birth to death and as such I genuinly found the last chapter hard to read :cry: . Her life really made me feel 'who needs fiction when you can read history.'

If anyone knows of this book or her life in general, I would love to hear your thoughts. :woot:

:flower: I own that particular book by Hugo Vickers [ Alice: Princess Andrew of Greece ISBN 0-312-28886-7]. I found it to be quite interesting. HRH Princess Andrew led a very colorful life at times, very melancholy at other times. She was mentally ill, on and off, all her life, as well as being born deaf.
I believe it was her faith in God and her own personal strengh that brought her through her many trials and tribulations. The book is certainly worth a reading.

Princess Alice

Attachments

• Alice_005.jpg
    Alice_005.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 3,018
TRH Prince and Princess Andrew of Greece and Denmark

Attachments

• Andrew___Alice_01.jpg
    Andrew___Alice_01.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 847
Originally posted by TOMMIX@Nov 13th, 2003 - 9:00 am
:flower: I own that particular book by Hugo Vickers [ Alice: Princess Andrew of Greece ISBN 0-312-28886-7]. I found it to be quite interesting. HRH Princess Andrew led a very colorful life at times, very melancholy at other times. She was mentally ill, on and off, all her life, as well as being born deaf.
I believe it was her faith in God and her own personal strengh that brought her through her many trials and tribulations. The book is certainly worth a reading.
It is an excellent book, isn't it TOMMIX? It was an enjoyable read for me and I highly reccommend it for anyone interested in the GRF and the Duke of Edinburgh.

I found it to be quite interesting. HRH Princess Andrew led a very colorful life at times, very melancholy at other times. She was mentally ill, on and off, all her life, as well as being born deaf.

Just to clarify, Was Alice indeed Schizophrenic and had to be institutionalised at some point in her life? That is what I heard from others. She seems to be quite an interesting person and pretty as well. :flower:

Originally posted by Elise,LadyofLancaster@Nov 16th, 2003 - 12:43 am
Just to clarify, Was Alice indeed Schizophrenic and had to be institutionalised at some point in her life?
Alice did in deed spend many years in an institution after her marriage to Andrew began to deteriate. Its been a while since I read the book now but I am sure however it was not Schizophrenia which is a very specific type of mental illness. Alice was of course 'ill' at the very early stages of Mental Health Care as we know it today and they did not understand or even have catagorised the types of 'illness' that we have now. I belive Alice was actualy suffering from what we would now call Clinical Depression and today would be sent home with a course of anti-depresants. I dont think she was 'mad,' but no one understood that depression and how it makes people behave and feel.

Besides one of her best lines came from just prior to her admitance to the institution when she said "I cant come, Im having lunch with Jesus." Was this her illness or did she simply have a fantastic whit?

Princess Andrew of Greece

Can anybody find a photo of Princess Andrew of Greece in her wedding dress and post it? Thanks!

Hope this helps Tricia

Here she is in 1903, I think she was a very beautiful bride.

Attachments

• 1903.jpg
    1903.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 1,034
there is a photograph of Princess Alice as a bride in the book..."Alice" by Hugo Vickers

I highly suggest to everyone to read Hugo Vicker's biography of HRH Princess Andrew of Greece. It is a comprehensive and sensitive portryal of the woman who was Prince Phillip's mother and the woman who was declared a "Righteous Gentile" by the Israelis and is buried on the Mount of Olives near her beloved aunt, HIH Grand Duchess Elisabeth of Russia (formerly HRH Princess Elisabeth of Hesse und bei Reine).

I don't know if it has been translated into Greek yet, but it should be!

wow. Princess Andrew was stunning on her wedding day, she was absolutely beautiful, i must say.

Anyone have a pic of Princess Andrew in her nun's habit?

I have this one, at the Queen's coronation.

Not very good. :(

Attachments

• 34 - Princess Alice leads the Mountbatten family.jpg
    34 - Princess Alice leads the Mountbatten family.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 1,193
i also read like in a life long passion that she was fairly deaf but that she could read lips maybe that had something to do with it ..????\
Also i cant get the pictures to link up can somebody repost them?

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the information and photos. I've only just found out about Alice and am trying to read as much as I can as quickly as I can!!

I find her so interesting and my respect for Prince Philip (on discovering his early life = dealing with his mother's mental health) has just sky rocketed.

What a refreshing post... Princess Alice was an interesting figure to say the least... you almost feel pity for her, yet she has amazing courage and strength.
I think her great-grandmother, Queen Victoria, would have been extremely proud of her.

Princess Alice of Battenberg

Here's two of my favourite photos of HRH Princess Andrew of Greece & Denmark.... in my opinion the most beautiful of all of the Duke of Edinburgh's female ancestors.

Attachments

• Princess Alice of Battenberg, The Princess Andrew of Greece & Denmark 2.jpg
    Princess Alice of Battenberg, The Princess Andrew of Greece & Denmark 2.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 6,004
  • Princess Alice of Battenberg, The Princess Andrew of Greece & Denmark 1.jpg
    Princess Alice of Battenberg, The Princess Andrew of Greece & Denmark 1.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 7,406
she is still one of my most favouret royals of all time

I just realized that Princess Alice's tiara that is the first pic in post 19 was actually her wedding necklace

I have a question, princess alice had some diseases. How did she met Prince Andrew? was princess alice´s marriage a familiar decision?

I have a question, princess alice had some diseases. How did she met Prince Andrew? was princess alice´s marriage a familiar decision?
She suffered from congenital deafness. She met Prince Andrew at her great-uncle, Edward VII's coronation. The event was postponed for a few weeks because of Edward's sudden illness, thus giving Andrew and Alice more time to get to know each other. It was a love match.

A beautiful woman. Her husband was Prince of Greece and Denmark and belonged to the Schlesswieg-Holstein House. It seems most of the kings of eastern Europe belonged to german royal families.

It seems most of the kings of eastern Europe belonged to german royal families.
Yes, a sort of dynastic colonisation:

Albania: for a short time Wied (German) then Zogu (native)
Bulgaria: for a short time Batternberg [Hesse] followed by Saxe-Coburg & Gotha (both German)
Greece: S-H-S-G (Danish)
Montenegro: Petrovich-Njegos (native)
Romania: Hohenzollern (-Sigmaringen) (German)
Serbia: Obrenovic and Karageorgevic (both native)

I always thought Princess Alice was one of the most beautiful royal women. She reminds me in a sense, when she was younger, of the young Queen Alexandra - another royal beauty.

November 24

Prince Charles' pride for grandmother who sheltered Jews

The Prince of Wales has told "Kindertransport" refugees how "incredibly proud" he felt of his grandmother for sheltering Jewish refugees when the Second World War broke out.

Prince Charles' pride for grandmother who sheltered Jews - Telegraph

Last edited by a moderator:
Alice had a strong religious bent, like her aunts, Alexandra of Russia and Grand Duchess Elizabeth, known to the family as Ella, both of whom were sisters of Alice's mother, Victoria of Hesse and later known as Victoria Battenberg, then Milford-Haven when all Germanic names were anglicized by the British Royals. I believe the death of Ella and her life of service as a nun had a strong influence on Alice.

Alice also worked tirelessly through the First Balkan War and later endured hardships with her husband's people during World War II. A fascinating woman, born in Windsor Castle and later interred there until her remains were moved and re-buried in Jerusalem.

Back
Top Bottom