Lady Katherine Brandram (Princess Katherine of Greece & Denmark) (1913-2007)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

betina

Courtier
City
Copenhagen
Country
Denmark
is there someone who got some pictures of this little known princess from Greece who married a commoner and became Mrs. Brandram?

betina said:
is there someone who got some pictures of this little known princess from Greece who married a commoner and became Mrs. Brandram?

The Lady Katherine Brandram

HRH Princess Katherine of Greece & Denmark [Ekaterini] was born in 4th May 1913 in the Royal Palace of Athens to Their Majesties King Constantine I and Queen Sophia.

Princess Katherine married the British commoner Major Richard Brandram on the 21st April 1947 in Athens. Upon her marriage she moved to her husband's native country of England where King George VI created her by letters patent the title, style and rank of a Duke's daughter, thus in British society she became The Lady Katherine Brandram. There is however some dispute as to whether Katherine was still known as Princess Katherine in Greece (e.g. despite her marriage Alexia is still known as HRH Princess Alexia and not Mrs Morales).

Katherine and Richard had one son, also called Richard, who was born in 1948 and three grand-children: Sophie 1981, Nicholas 1982 & Alexia 1985.

Katherine is the or at least one of the last surviving Great-Grand-Children of Queen Victoria.

To aid in searching for information on Katherine, her name is more commonly spelt as Katherine as opposed to Catherine. She has kept a private life, however she was involved in the European Court Case against the Greek Government for the confiscation of the Private Royal Properties in Greece.

Photo Links to CORBIS.COM
http://pro.corbis.com/images/HU062314.jpg?size=67&uid={7157bc61-dbf6-42e9-8c66-523beb95b08b}

http://pro.corbis.com/images/U306846ACME.jpg?size=67&uid={9bef624f-78bd-43de-a110-f82293344ff6}

thank you splodger

Here is a photo of her. Really cute

katherinegreece1913-2.jpg

She is still alive and is the only surviving great-granddaugher of Empress Frederick, I believe, the former Princess Royal, daughter of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert.

I do believe she purposely relinquished her HRH status when she married to be known only as Lady Brandram.

Has she gone to any of the big weddings or events?

I'm wondering how close she is to Constantine, Sofia, and Irene.

iowabelle said:
Has she gone to any of the big weddings or events?

I'm wondering how close she is to Constantine, Sofia, and Irene.

Great questions, my neighbor to the west. :) I am in Illinois.

I think due to her age and maybe health, she is 92, or something like that, she may not be able to get around as much as she used to.

But I don't know that I've ever seen her at anything. At least not that I've noticed.

But you are right, at age 92 she's not likely to run around very much.

I totally agree with...come to think of it...nothing at all like the older kids' christenings or anything...hmmm.....can anyone else shed some light on this?

She looks a little like princess Margaret of Great Britian in this pic doesn't she?

U306846ACME.jpg

The book "Born to Rule" by Julie Gelardi, which is about the five granddaughters of Queen Victoria who ended up being Queens Consort, including Sophie of Greece, has some information about Lady Katherine, who seemed to be the source of some of the stuff about Queen Sophie in the book.

The Lady Katherine Brandram

HRH Princess Katherine of Greece & Denmark [Ekaterini] was born in 4th May 1913 in the Royal Palace of Athens to Their Majesties King Constantine I and Queen Sophia.

Princess Katherine married the British commoner Major Richard Brandram on the 21st April 1947 in Athens. Upon her marriage she moved to her husband's native country of England where King George VI created her by letters patent the title, style and rank of a Duke's daughter, thus in British society she became The Lady Katherine Brandram. There is however some dispute as to whether Katherine was still known as Princess Katherine in Greece (e.g. despite her marriage Alexia is still known as HRH Princess Alexia and not Mrs Morales).

Katherine and Richard had one son, also called Richard, who was born in 1948 and three grand-children: Sophie 1981, Nicholas 1982 & Alexia 1985.

1. Lady Katherine Brandram, ne'e princess Katherine of Greece did resign her rights to the Greek throne upon her marriage but this is not why she ceased to be princess, even by courtesy. The reason is exactly what you quote, and more specifically, that she was naturalized in Great Britain and thus became a subject of king George VI. This happened in a manner similar to that of prince Philip of Greece who as a young fellow decided to shed his princely title, adopt his mother's surname and become a naturalized Briton and was since and until his marriage Mr. Philip Mountbatten.
Thus, it is inappropriate to call Lady Brandram, princess Katherine, except for historic reasons and only in reference to the period between her birth and shorty after her marriage when she became a Briton.

2. Princess Alexia's case is different. Had the monarchy been in effect, she would have most probably resigned her rights to the throne but she would have maintained her courtesy title of princess.

3. The son of Lady Brandram is Paul Brandram.

Wikipedia's article on the princess (Princess Katherine of Greece and Denmark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) states that she died on October 2. Can anyone confirm this? It's not been on Paul Theroff's site, and he's usually excellent about updating this sort of thing. The article doesn't provide a source for her death, so that does have me wondering :ermm:

Lady Katherine was the last surviving great-granddaughter of Queen Victoria. If she really has passed on, that means Count Carl Johan Bernadotte is the only remaining great-grandchild still living.

Wikipedia's article on the princess (Princess Katherine of Greece and Denmark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) states that she died on October 2. Can anyone confirm this? It's not been on Paul Theroff's site, and he's usually excellent about updating this sort of thing. The article doesn't provide a source for her death, so that does have me wondering :ermm:

Lady Katherine was the last surviving great-granddaughter of Queen Victoria. If she really has passed on, that means Count Carl Johan Bernadotte is the only remaining great-grandchild still living.

Here's an article (orbituary) from the Telegraph:

Lady Katherine Brandram - Telegraph

As she is a first cousin of the DoE - do you think some Royals will attend her funeral?

Photos more on Lady Katherine Brandram?? Lady Katherine Brandram was guest British royal family???

I've read it today that she passed but i wonder was her funeral in close family circle?Who attended?

The obituary of The Times erred. And I quote the excerpt, "Yet she was the daughter of a king, the sister of three kings and a queen, the aunt of a king and two other queens and a first cousin of the Duke of Edinburgh."

She was the sister of two queens [HM The Queen-Mother Helen of Rumania, by constitutional act, and the transient (for 2 years, 1941-43) Queen of Croatia, Yriny Duchess of Aosta;
She was the aunt of two kings [former King Constantine II of the Hellenes and former King Michael of Rumania]

The paper did not quote that she was the grand daughter of a king and a Kaiser and the niece of a Kaiser.
What an incredible pedigree!!

Last edited:
The private lives of those connected to the Greek and British Royal Families are often a mystery to us, but there are occasional glimpses.

From the Times online obituary kindly posted by Lucien:

One of Lady Katherine’s last public appearances was at the wedding of Crown Prince Paul of Greece in the summer of 1995, which she attended in a wheelchair.
She also attended the Duke of Edinburgh’s 80th birthday service in St George’s Chapel in June 2001, members of the congregation being surprised at how many members of the Royal Family paused to greet this tiny figure that they did not recognise.

Last edited:
A living lady of history has passed. How funny to read about the Kaiser, and his sister Queen Sofia of Greece, in "Victoria's Daughters", and then to read about this extraordinary lady who was the last surviving grandaughter of the Kaiser Frederick and the Empress Frederick. Over a century has passed between grandparents and granddaughter.

She certainly had an impressive pedigree!!

Photo on Lady Katherine Brandram Prince Paul of Greece 1995?? Prince Philips 80th birthday was she guest and photo 2001?

Memories

I can remember, as a child in the sixties, that all athenian dailies would publish daily the Court's Circular, and reading such things as "HM The Queen-Mother of Rumania arrived yesterday from Florence", or "HRH The Duchess of Aosta arrived in Corfu", but there was never any mention of Lady Brandram or Princess Aikaterini as she was known in Greece, as if she didn't exist.
No one in Greece knew of her whereabouts other than the fact that she was married to a British soldier and was living in England.
But I do remember clearly her attending the funeral of her brother, King Paul - and I said clearly because I retained in my memory the fact that her dress and appearance had given me the impression that she was not doing well financially. However, I cannot recall her [nor have I seen her in the family pictures] attending the wedding of Sofia or Constantine - but I may be wrong here.

Last edited:
Princess Katherine of Greece, Lady Katherine Brandram, was buried today at Tatoi. The funeral was attended by Paul Brandram and his children, the King and Queen of the Hellenes, Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece, Prince Nikolaos of Greece, Princess Irene of Greece, Crown Prince Alexander and Crown Princess Katherine of Serbia, and the Duke and Duchess of Aosta.

Source: SAOPSTENJE ZA STAMPU

Princess Katherine buried at Greece?? Tatoi is Greece?? Photos on royal family of Greece come to Lady Katherines funeral? Prince Philip and Queen Elizabeth come not to his funeral?? Prince Philip was his first cousin to Lady Katherine Brandram.

Glancing at the UK royals schedule it would seem a lot of the senior members had other engagements that prevented them from traveling to Tatoi for the funeral/burial, but it would have been a nice gesture I think if someone had been able to attend. She lived a pretty full ife and her connections to many royal families were extensive.

I am surprised that Queen Sofia didn't turn up. It didn't seem that her appointments in Spain were all that demanding.

This is a photo of the grave of Princess Katherine at Tatoi Royal Cemetery!
It is given to me by the Copyright owner.
Please do not copy this image for use on other sites.

Attachments

• katherine.JPG
    katherine.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 1,252
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom