King Paul I (1901-1964) and Queen Frederika (1917-1981)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think Frederica was not without her charm and it may very well have happened that Farouk hit on her. Her problem was meddling in politics.

Thanks for sharing, Gregory! So nice to see you posting again! :flowers: Royal history is one of my interests, and discovering unknown historical incidents, like this one, always fascinates me. King Farouk liked beautiful women a lot. I don't know if Frederica was breathtakingly beautiful - I guess we can say she was pretty and well-groomed. We can see this nowadays in Q.Sofia of Spain, her daughter.:)

..Farouk ?????? hahahahaha
Did he returned the sword to the Shah of Persia, and the clock Winton Churchill? Hahahah
I'm not sure you understood what Gregory meant here. When a man hits on a woman, it means he likes her as a woman, he flirts her and suggests they spend the night together. King Farouk liked Frederica and he obviously told her he wanted to sleep with her.:flowers:

]I don't know if Frederica was breathtakingly beautiful - I guess we can say she was pretty and well-groomed. We can see this nowadays in Q.Sofia of Spain, her daughter.:)
I don't consider her a great beauty either and as far as I know she didn't do that herself - she often commented when Sophia was born how dissapointed she was that he baby seemed to have inherited her nose . But she did have a style that suited her very much and let's not forget that she was still a fresh and young woman in her 20s back them when this happened and youth always adds something extra IMO.

Frederica liked to tell the story of how, when Sophie was a baby, she used to tell people that unfortunately, the baby had inherited her nose. This always resulted in people saying that both the mother and the baby were beautiful and had nothing wrong with their noses.

It was very gratifying to her until the evening she had the baby brought down at the end of a party and made the same comment, to which one of the women replied, "Yes, but maybe she'll grow into it!"

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Certainly Frederika was well dressed and impeccably groomed. Her hair always had those plenteous curls in place and she wore the clothes of Jean Desses very well. I believe Dervis was her dressmaker in Athens.She wasn't a very tall lady but had amazing linguistic capabilities, conversational skills charm and a very sharp mind.Her eyes danced with interest. This has been told to me by a friend that used to have the Queen and the King at his hotel as guests.She was also a cultured person.The marriage to King Paul was a happy one.This is what I have been told.
My source was credible as I saw pictures of the person telling me these things and the royal couple sitting at the hotel chatting.......

Last edited:
Queen Federica was a very cultured and had a great education, how to take sunglasses, her bag, when she looked her clock...., she was very elegant. She was not high, King Paul was quite high. Jean Dessen appreciated her gestures, he saw in Queen Federica an natural elegance. Queen Federika was close to King Pavlo, when the King Pavlo died, at the funeral, as they walked behind the coffin, there was a time when she broke to mourn ... I still remember that moment.

Queen Federica was a very cultured and had a great education, how to take sunglasses, her bag, when she looked her clock...., she was very elegant. She was not high, King Paul was quite high. Jean Dessen appreciated her gestures, he saw in Queen Federica an natural elegance. Queen Federika was close to King Pavlo, when the King Pavlo died, at the funeral, as they walked behind the coffin, there was a time when she broke to mourn ... I still remember that moment.
I agree with you Nikoplopulos as I have been told by countless individuals the same as you have so articulately put here.I remember that moment she mourned the King as well... very heart rending.Frederika had great dignity throughout her life and until her untimely death.Queen Frederika had grace, elegance and substance and it is certainly seen from her children what she was and what she taught them.What a fantastic mother.!

Vasillisos, I just discovered on Facebook that there was a group with a huge album of Greek royal pictures - there's a ton from several different eras.

Nikolopoulus - that's cute! I love baby pictures.

Maura,

Thanks for the information. Someday I will have to create a Facebook profile . . . .

Qf

Hi all, not sure if you are aware, but QF's mother, Duchess Viktoria Luise of Brauschweig's autobigraphy, titled, "The Kaiser's Daughter, Memories of HRH Viktoria Luise of Prussia," include several pictures of QF, and all her family,with plenty of information.
The front cover features a little Viktoria Luise, sitting on her Kaiser Wilhelm II's lap. In it,VL mentions that the last thing he saw, before he went blind, was a photograph of QF holding a little Sofia.
English version of autobiography, which I have, is edited by Robert Vacha, and was printed in 1972, eight years before the death of VL, and 9 before QF herself.

My dear Aussieprincess,

I am reading King, Kaiser, Tsar and thorougly enjoying the book. There is so much that I am learning about the three men, King George V of England, Kaiser Wilhelm II and Tsar Nicholas II, things which I had never read in other biographies. Another joy to the book is learning more about the people in their lives. I am hoping that there will be mention about Viktoria Luise and Frederika near the end of the book.

Actually, there was surprisingly good insight into Queen Frederika in "Alice, Princess Andrew of Greece" by Hugo Vickers about the Duke of Edinburgh's mother. It's brief, but it was evident that Princess Andrew was not a fan of Queen Frederika.

Last edited by a moderator:
My dear EmpressRouge,

I read the Vicker's biography of Princess Andrew and enjoyed it. You are correct -- although Princess Andrew and Princess Nicholas (Elena Vladimirovna who was the mother of Marina, Duchess of Kent) were not close, the two princesses were the only members of the Greek royal family to remain in the country during World War II. For some reason, Frederika kept Princess Andrew in the dark about Princess Nicholas's final illness until it was too late to see her before she died. This upset Pss Andrew greatly and she never quite forgave Frederika.

King, Kaiser, Tsar is an excellent book.

If King Paul I had lived longer- say, until the 1980s- would the Greek monarchy have been overthrown?

As I understand it the relationship between Viktoria Luise and Frederica was a difficult one. Can anyone provide details on their problems?

King, Kaiser, Tsar is an excellent book.

If King Paul I had lived longer- say, until the 1980s- would the Greek monarchy have been overthrown?

My dear CSENYC,

It is hard to say, but Paul may have been able to hold on to the throne. I don't think he would have left as quickly as poor Constantine because Paul was more mature and older.

relationship between King Constantine and Queen Frederika

I never see any pictures they take together after left Greece and why the queen did not live with her son in London. The king's 3rd&4rd&5rd children seems never take photo with their grandmother. Maybe the photo just not show in public or I dont find, anyone know more?

The king's 3rd&4rd&5rd children seems never take photo with their grandmother.
Of course the King's two younger children, Princess Theodora and Prince Philippos, cannot have any pictures with Queen Frederika, since she died a few years before they were born.

No this is not correct. The Queen Federika lived in India, in a house that is now owned by the princess Irene for this reason it is difficult to find pictures of the Queen Federica, except in summer when she traveled to Palma of Mallorca(Spain) for holidays with the Greek and Spanish royal family . The Kings of Greece and Princes, alexia, Paul and Nicholas, traveled to visit her in her house of India. The prince Nicholas in Vanity Fair of Spain said, he remembered when he travelled with his family, his parents and brothers to Indian , they played with their grandmother to pirates (He said be Sandokan), Nicholas said that his grandmother interpreted her paper of pirate and directly involved in the game. She traveled extensively to London and Spain where she spent long periods. When she died in 1981, in Madrid, she had just arrived from London to Madrid, the newspapers of spain said that she was living in london with the Kings of Greece because she had problems of health

Palma of Mallorca, Queen Federika with her grandchildren.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-c-oC9m69B34/UelJXT91qnI/AAAAAAAAB-0/yimpbBrLtfw/s1600/reina+federika.jpg

Queen Federika with her mother, was 90th birthday of Princess Marie Louise of Prussian(I think), were the Kings and princes of Greece and Queen Sophia with Infanta Elena and Cristina

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ugWv021kSGs/UelJ10yzmCI/AAAAAAAAB_E/OJ6o8mdpQUE/s1600/cumplea%C3%B1os.jpg

With Queen Sophia and Queen Anne Marie and Princes Paul, Felipe, Elena , Cristina, Alexia
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-3DLrECphGcM/UeqgNzk9z1I/AAAAAAAAB_s/Wj0Fq6UL20Q/s1600/queen+federica.jpg

Last edited:
thanks to your reply, it's so detail. Would you have more photo about the Queen

Its such a shame that Queen Federica did not live longer as she seems to have enjoyed a warm relationship with her grandchildren.

Is it already known, when and where the documentary about King Paul ("No ordinary king") is coming out?!

I saw the trailer, it was saying that it would be for 2013, however it certainly will be issued in 2014, because the next year will be met 50 th years of death of King Paul.

Back
Top Bottom