King Otto (1815-1867) and Queen Amalia neé Oldenburg (1818-1875)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A question: The discription of this painting by Dominique Louis Papety only says The Duke of Montpensier and his suite visiting the ruins of Athens.
1st) Where is the Duke? The man with the blue sash?
2nd) Is he joined by King Otto and his Queen? I think the rider on the left in greek costume looks a lot like Otto?! Any clarification will be much appreciated!

Royaland : Photo

Last edited:
King Louis Philippe of France 's Son.
Painting is at the musée du château de Versailles.

I did a little research myself and was lucky to find something:
The painting indeed shows an excursion of the King and Queen of Greece, Otto I and Queen Amalia, with the Orléans Duke on Sept. 12th 1845.

"The holy Roman Catholic Church, the Teatinerkirche Munich are the sarcophagi of the members of the Royal House Wittelsbach that from 1180 to 1918 reigned in Bavaria.
Every year the Duke of Bavaria has been in Teatinerkirche memorial for all members of the Royal House.
The current Douke Frantz of Bavaria invites every year and the Metropolis representative Germany Protopresbyteros Apostolos Malamousis to attend the memorial, where there is the sarcophagus of King Otto of Greece, a member of the Royal House Wittelsbach and Queen Amalia.
On July 26, 2017, Memorial Day for the King of Greece, Othonas, took place in Munich on the initiative of the Protopresbyteros Apostolos Malamousis , on the occasion of the 150th anniversary of his death."

????? ?????? ??? ??? ??????? ????? ???? ?.?. ?????????

The heir of the deposed King Otto

Prince Leopold of Bavaria was, according to the provisions of the 1843 Greek constitution, the heir of the deposed King Otto. Due to the renunciation by his elder brother Ludwig of all his rights to the Greek succession and since the Greek Constitution forbade the monarch to be ruler of another country (Ludwig became King Ludwig III of Bavaria), Leopold technically succeeded upon Ludwig's renunciation to the rights of the deposed Otto I.

Last edited:
Yes, Otto and wife sailed off into comfortable exile, leaving the Greek Throne free for successful candidate Prince Wilhelm of Denmark, brother of Alexandra, wife of the future Edward VII. At the time Wilhelm was a naval cadet but became King George I of Greece.

I'd forgotten that Otto of Greece was Roman Catholic and wife was Lutheran.
Neither converted to Greek Orthodoxy.

An error in historical interpretation. They were King and Queen of Greece (at that time Greece was smaller, Athens, the Peloponnese...) and indeed, neither of them assumed the orthodox religion.
Thus they never reigned in Thessalonika, Ioannina..., and neither in Crete, nor in the Ionian Islands... Otto would not be King of current Greece, but of a much smaller territory, subject to a protectorate of the three great powers. He and Amalia were not orthodox

A map of Greece in 1832

584px-Map_Greece_expansion_1832-1947-en.svg.png

:previous: King Otto's emblems (Crown, Sceptre and Sword) have been found in Tatoi

Lina Mendoni (minister of culture) has stated they are in good condition.

Hopefully Queen Anna-Maria and Princes Pavlos or Prince Nikolaos will be able to have a look at it.

Last edited:
The Minister of Culture is a liar, and so is the government. The crown could not be found in the Tatoi palace, because it has been dismantled for years, they are trying to justify why they did not authorize it to be ceded to the Greek Royal Family for the funeral of King Constantine, as happened in the past with Queen Federika, the Crown. They pretend to affirm that they did not know where the Crown was, and present it as they have found it now. The Prime Greek Minister did not authorize state funerals for the King because he considered the royal family as foreigners, and called the 140-year history of the monarchy the colonial period. I believe that the Minister and the government are now trying to cover up all the statements they made then, and what more because of the relevance that the funeral had in the foreign media and that the surveys said that more than 70% of those surveyed considered that the Rey should have had state funerals, they seek to cleanse the image with the Crown.

This is true, in 1981 the Crown was on the coffin of Queen Frederika, in January of this year, the government did not authorize it, I read it in january in a greek newspaper and at a article of Spain it. They cannot say now, that they have found the Crown in Tatoi. In 2007 the Palace Tatoi were removed all the goods, even the Minister of Culture at that time called the international media to exhibit the goods and lash out at the Royal Family,How can you say that the "Hopefully Queen Anna-Maria and Princes Pavlos or Prince Nikolaos will be able to have a look at it." if Queen Ana Maria has seen how her husband was buried without State honors and the government did not authorize her to place the crown on her husband's coffin, as happened with her mother-in-law... ???

I agree with Nikolopoulus....

How can you say that the "Hopefully Queen Anna-Maria and Princes Pavlos or Prince Nikolaos will be able to have a look at it." if Queen Ana Maria has seen how her husband was buried without State honors and the government did not authorize her to place the crown on her husband's coffin, as happened with her mother-in-law... ???

You have to calm down. I agree with Niko as well as I'm the first to attack the government at any opportunity I have. But what's done is done, the emblems couldn't be placed on the late King's coffin, it's a miracle there was even a funeral in Greece considering the moral missery of the government. I'm sure Queen Anna-Maria and her children would like to have a word or two on the future of the emblems of THEIR ancestors.

Prince Pavlos himself has congratulated the Ministry of culture. He's probably being ironic.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CuzUdX-NhVM/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom