Greek Royal Family - Photos from the past

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Definitely an extremely attractive couple, both then and now.;) As for the royal family not being Greek, it seems choosing a local spouse is the exception rather than the rule for monarchies. Felipe bucked the trend by choosing a Spanish bride, and all four of Queen Elizabeth's children chose to marry English spouses. But these two examples (and if I'm overlooking any others it's not intentional by any means) seem rare when one looks at recent royal matrimonies:
Danish Frederik marries Australian Mary
Dutch Willem-Alexander marries Argentinian Maxima
Swedish Carl Gustav marries German/Brazilian Silvia

Not to hijack the C&A-M thread but I think that marriages between royals and "homegrown" persons don't seem to happen very often, for whatever reasons.:eek:

Thanks so much for the retrospective of the Greek royal family Pdas1201! :) Alexia was an adorable little girl!

Thank you for these pictures! I have never seen any pictures from Nikolaos's presentation.

I have to confess it would have been nice if they were not ousted. This would be a fun Royal family to watch.

was the second one from Nikolaos's christening???
I have never seen baby photos of him before.
thanks for posting them.

juliamontague said:
was the second one from Nikolaos's christening???

Yes, the second pic is from the christening of Prince Nikolaos.

these are photos from getty

Attachments

• 53372415.jpg
    53372415.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 579
  • 53372427.jpg
    53372427.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 605
  • 3141755.jpg
    3141755.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 663
  • 3141764.jpg
    3141764.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 676
  • 50329127.jpg
    50329127.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 646
  • 3361233.jpg
    3361233.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 719
A very attractive royal couple both then and now. I agree that it would have been interesting had Constantine kept the throne and the family had continued to reign, to see how the family developed along with the other royal families. These are great pictures.

Josefine said:
these are photos from getty

The Getty picture of Anne-Marie playing with a blonde haired boy - is that her nephew Prince Joachim of Denmark?

That picture was taken before her marriage, so no, it's not Joachim.

They were -and still are- indeed a very beautiful and matching couple.
However, our people decided that they prefered an elected president rather than a king to be the symbol of our nation and unity.
Unfortunately the referendum took place 9 years before I was born; with that astonishing and lovely people making up the greek royal family (excluding Marie Chantal:p), do not bother to ask what I would had voted for!;)

You don´t like the Crownprincess?
Anyway, I am still so sorry for their Majesties to have lost their throne! And you are right about them being a beautiful couple. I will never understand the greek people for voting against the monarchy - even if it´s been a terrible and tough time during the Junta.
Sometimes I dream about King Konstantinos still being head of state: He´d be over 40 years reigning by now! And what beautiful and joyous occasions
we would have being seen, not only family-ones but all those state visits with the king and Queen Anne-Marie as hosts in the royal palace in Athens... Sometimes I think I will never fully accept thet they have been mistreated like this by destiny.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, never say never!
I mean, 50 years ago nobody in Greece would imagine not having a King and a royal family, but that happened! Of course Constantine for me is still officially the King, since he has not abdicated and the initiate abolition of the monarchy was done by an illegal military government, the Junta.
Maybe in twenty years or less, the people decide to make Nikolaos a king, and I think that would compensate TM for all they've gone through
Do not bother to ask why not Pavlos
Can you imagine Queen Mari Chantal of the Hellenes? Not in a thousand years!:rolleyes:

Oh, the Queen looks more than amazing in the Greek traditional costumes; I did not know she used to wear them! I can also see HRH Irene in the 'amalia' costume!she's lovely!

samitude said:
Anne-Marie turned 18 on August 30, 1964 and got married on September 18, 1964. So, yes she did just turn 18 when she got married. I think she was 16 when they got engaged, but it wasn't announced until later.

The story is: When King Constantine asked to marry Anne-Marie, King Frederik asked konstantin to wait in an other room, while he was asking Queen Ingrid to come down. The problem was that it was the kings private toilet he was beeing locked in :D . King konstantin have told this story

betina said:
The story is: When King Constantine asked to marry Anne-Marie, King Frederik asked konstantin to wait in an other room, while he was asking Queen Ingrid to come down. The problem was that it was the kings private toilet he was beeing locked in :D . King konstantin have told this story

King Konstantine have told this story on Official DK site:D :D :D

ChevalieurduCiel said:
King Konstantine have told this story on Official DK site:D :D :D

What's with greek royals and weird marriage proposals?:D King Juan Carlos throw QS a package and said "Catch it Sofi"

crisiñaki said:
What's with greek royals and weird marriage proposals?:D King Juan Carlos throw QS a package and said "Catch it Sofi"

That was humorous side of their offical purposal:D :D !!

Their Majesties arrived today, at the airport of Thessaloniki.They said,They are heading to Kavala (by car) for touristic reasons and maybe they will visit the destroyed by fload areas in Evros!They also said, that They will not stay in Greece for Easter....That's all I saw on TV...

I hope this is the right place for the following family pics :)

10nyxqe.jpg
10nyzpt.jpg

(HOLA)

iceflower said:
I hope this is the right place for the following family pics (HOLA)
Don't you think that Her Majesty could sooo easily become a top model, if she weren't a royal? She is absolutely astonishing!

Have just visited Corfu and had to see Mon Repos, it was very quiet and beautiful, too bad all the royal furniture is no longer there, instead the furniture of Frederick Adams who built the palace in the early 19th century. I stood on the verandah where constantine and anne-marie were photographed in 1964......

iceflower said:
The young family in december 1967: Hola! cover
I don't understand the reason of the title...:confused: :confused:
Can anyone explain to me, please?

Queen Ann Marie was and still is such a beautiful, regal-looking woman.

Queen Anne Marie is truely a beautiful, graceful and very elegant woman. I find she's has more grace and charm than her other 2 sisters.

Back
Top Bottom