Greek Royal Family - Photos from the past

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the great pictures Jalmey. Were any of the pictures taken at the Mon Repos In Corfu?

Originally posted by thissal@Jun 21st, 2003 - 1:08 pm
Thanks for the great pictures Jalmey.  Were any of the pictures taken at the Mon Repos In Corfu?
You're welcome Thissal. :) I don't know if any specific photos were taken at Mon Repos, but according to this exert of an article I found (link below :)), Princess Alexia was born there. So perhaps some of the pictures of the King and Queen with the daughter was in fact at Mon Repos.

"King Constantine came to the throne with much goodwill, which was expressed in abundance when, on 18 September 1964 (six months after his accession) he married his beautiful Danish Princess in what was described at the time, as 'the most radiant of Athenian royal weddings'. Even an old republican, the 76 year old Prime Minister, George Papandreou, was seen to be enjoying himself thoroughly with the bride and bridegroom.

Just before the wedding, a crisis in Cyprus brought Greece to the brink of war with Turkey and serious political problems developed in Greece.

These overshadowed the celebrations of the birth of Queen Anne-Marie's first child, Princess Alexia, on 10 July 1965. She was the first member of the Royal Family to be born at 'Mon Repos' in Corfu since 1921, when Prince Philip of Greece, now Duke of Edinburgh. 'Mon Repos' is an old Georgian house which, in the 18th. Century, was the summer residence of the English Governor of Corfu. "

Link

KING CONSTANTINE AND QUEEN ANNA MARIA 1964

Attachments

• new_1.jpg
    new_1.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 2,436
King Constantine and Queen Anne Marie
King Constantine, born in 1940 was king of Greece 1964-1973. He married Princess Anne-Marie, youngest daughter of Frederik IX of Denmark. In April 1967 the 'Colonels' military junta took power and the king fled to Rome in December. He was formally deposed in June 1973 and the monarchy was abolished by national referendum in 1974.

© David Lees/CORBIS

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,245
H.M. KING CONSTANTINE & H.M. QUEEN ANNA MARIA

Attachments

• CARD_20KING_20NEW.jpg
    CARD_20KING_20NEW.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 8,512
That is an absolutely beautiful photo! Thank you Vasilofron for posting it!

28-11-2002 (Arkiv) En årelang retssag om ekskong Konstantin og eksdronning Anne-Maries tidligere besiddelser i Grækenland er slut. Den Europæiske Menneskerettighedsdomstol i Strasbourg dømte torsdag d. 28. november den græske stat til at betale det tidligere kongepar og deres nærmeste familie cirka 100 millioner kroner i godtgørelse. Selv vurderer Konstantin på sin hjemmeside ejendommene til at have en samlet værdi af 3,58 milliarder kroner. Arkivfoto: Optagelsesdato usikker. Kong Konstantin og dronning Anne-Marie ved Kong Konstantins sommerresidens "Mon Repos" på Korfu.

Attachments

• Post_34_1058020454.jpg
    Post_34_1058020454.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 2,401
01.07.1974 1974: The exiled King Constantine of Greece and his wife, Queen Anne-Marie, stand in front of their Victorian home in Chobham, Surrey, England, where a Mini estate car is also waiting.

Attachments

• Post_34_1058020659.jpg
    Post_34_1058020659.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,927
Polfoto 01-01-1965 Menneskerettighedsdomstolen i Strasbourg gav torsdag den tidligere græske konge medhold i, at han har ret til sin ejendom i Grækenland. Med 15 mod 2 dommerstemmer anklagede retten den græske stat for brud på menneskerettighederne ved med den græske højesteretsbeslutning at have konfiskeret den tidligere konges ejendom. Den omfatter residensen Tatoi nord for Athen, et land- og skovområde "Polydendron" i Midtgrækenland og palæet "Mon Repos" på Korfu. Retten vil senere tage stilling til ekskongens krav om erstatning på omkring 1,4 milliarder dollars. Ekskong Konstantin og hans danskfødte dronning Anne-Marie har levet i eksil i London siden 1967. Arkivfoto: Optagelsesdato usikker. Kong Konstantin og dronning Anne-Marie ved Kong Konstantins sommerresidens "Mon Repos" på Korfu.

Attachments

• Post_34_1058027317.jpg
    Post_34_1058027317.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 2,750
Beautiful pictures Alexandria! Thanks for posting them. :flower:

Its was interesting to see the lovely pictures at Mon Repos!

It's hard to believe that the Greek people could have thrown out such a charming,attractive Royal Family.
I know the issues were more than just about appearances,but surely these things could have been resolved without such drastic actions.

Originally posted by Alexandra@Jun 6th, 2003 - 8:58 pm
www.corbis.com

Konstantin as Olympia winner. This is a picture I have been searching long for.
I didn't that he was there, for what did he get the medal?

Originally posted by Anja78@Aug 12th, 2003 - 11:26 am
He had won a sailing competition there.
He won the Olympic golden medal of the Olympics in Rome!!The first Golden Olympic medal that Greek state ever won!!!!

Happy birthday to the Queen!

Here is one of my favourite pictures of her -- with her forever smile.

Attachments

• Post_34_1062284279.jpg
    Post_34_1062284279.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 1,837
I have a photo of a beautiful touching time when Queen Anne Marie is wearing
a Greek costume and holding the hand of Alexia-in Greece-she looks so
stunning and it is so lovely! A rare photo indeed. How do I upload it here from
CD-R at the size of 6x6 and not larger? simple steps please in instructions so
I can share.

She looks so fabulous in this, not in the usual European style of dress-this is
really a rare moment and it is one of my favorites!

Good help wanted.
Thanks,
George

The Queen Of Greece At Her 18th Birthday

The Queen At Her 18th Birthday

Attachments

• anna2.jpg
    anna2.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 1,772
  • anna1.jpg
    anna1.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 1,335
Last edited by a moderator:
The last picture stunning vasilofron. Such regal grandeur! Thank you for sharing it.

Sorry for the poor quality of the scan, but I found this photocopied picture from a book I found years ago. I wish I could remember the name of the book, there were many great pictures of Europe's royal families in it.

In this picture, a young Queen Anne Marie, then still Princess Anne Marie of Denmark, on the grounds of the Danish palace.

Anne Marie looks very graceful here, I think. Such poise from a young woman.

Attachments

• anne_marie_a.jpg
    anne_marie_a.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 973
A few more pics of Konstain as child.
Christening, 1940

Christening of Prince Konstantin 1940

Year 1947
Cute children!

Polfoto
Prince Konstantin with his father, King Pavlos
About 1952

He bacame Crown Prince when his grandfather died 1946, I think. Here he is his first official "work" as crown prince in her grandpapa's funeral.

Attachments

• Konstantin_risti_iset_1940.jpg
    Konstantin_risti_iset_1940.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 1,427
  • friederikehannover1917_5___Tino.jpg
    friederikehannover1917_5___Tino.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 648
  • 1947.jpg
    1947.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 854
  • Paul_Konstantin.jpg
    Paul_Konstantin.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 1,063
  • Kreikka3.jpg
    Kreikka3.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 1,083
Originally posted by Alexandria@Oct 5th, 2003 - 6:40 pm
Sorry for the poor quality of the scan, but I found this photocopied picture from a book I found years ago. I wish I could remember the name of the book, there were many great pictures of Europe's royal families in it.
A Royal Album by (Earl) Patrick Lichfield c. 1982.

Sean.~

Originally posted by Alexandria+Jan 22nd, 2004 - 4:50 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Alexandria @ Jan 22nd, 2004 - 4:50 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Sean.~@Jan 22nd, 2004 - 4:08 pm
A Royal Album by (Earl) Patrick Lichfield c. 1982.

Sean.~
Ah! Thank you for the the proper name of the book. It was a great book. [/b][/quote]
There was also another book published around the same time (late 70s) titled Royal Families of the World by Reginald Davis. It has some excellent, excellent pictures from Persopolis and the wedding of Princess Christina of Sweden. Have you seen it? I was able to get my hands on a copy from a used bookstore.

I have a question, and maybe Sean or someone else knows the answer. Were King Frederik and Queen Ingrid happy about the marriage between Anne Marie and Constantine? I can understand if they liked her choice in a husband and all, and I don't know if they did, considering that it was basically a step up the ladder and all, but were they happy about when she got married? She was so young and all....

I can't say for certainty, but allegedly there was some concern because of Anne-Marie's young age, how it would be perceived in Denmark, etc. Also, Greece and it's monarchy were not the most stable in Europe, so this too was a fear (one that materialized), as it would be with any parent who would be sending their child to a foreign country.

And Constantine wasn't a step-up. The Dansih RF was more popular, more secure, and more well off. The former's family was, after all, a cadet branch of the latter.

I've heard some things similar to what Sean is saying, that neither King Frederik or Queen Anne Marie had particular concern about their future son in law (little did they know about his cheating ways!) but that they were very concerned because of Queen Anne Marie's age. Not just that she was 17 or 18, but that she might also set a precedence in Denmark at the time for individuals getting married so young.

I think this was a recent discussion on the Scandinavian Royals board, too, and someone posted that Queen Frederika was very keen on her only son marrying another royal, but that in fact she had 'earmarked' Princess Benedikte of Denmark as the suitable princess. Little did she know that her son would be smitten with Benedikte's younger sister instead!

Thanks, Sean. Basically what I meant by the step up the ladder comment was that she was marrying a King and would become a Queen. It's a step up from marrying a prince and staying a princess.

I believe there's only 3 people in line to the throne. The Grand duchess Maria, her son, and perhaps an unmarried uncle. Then, the legit heirs die out. The Greeks aren't entitled to the Russian throne.

Originally posted by Fireweaver@Jan 27th, 2004 - 6:46 pm
I believe there's only 3 people in line to the throne. The Grand duchess Maria, her son, and perhaps an unmarried uncle. Then, the legit heirs die out. The Greeks aren't entitled to the Russian throne.
There is no uncle. It's just Maria and her son. Queen Olga's line has no rights, because they don't meet the criteria. If it ever came down to it (which it won't) One could argue that Constantine kind of meets the criteria, but the head of one house can not assume the headship of another. He's either Greek or Russian. Not both.

None of Olga Constantinova's descendants, with the exception of the descendants of her daughters Alexandra Georgievna (wife of Grand Duke Pavel Alexandrovich) and Marie Georgievna, have any legitimate claim to any property in Russia. Russian Grand Duchesses received a settlement at the time of marriage. Their children gained their inheritances through their father and whatever was willed to them from other relatives. Since Olga's parents died before the revolution, one can assume that they all received their inheritances. Any legitimate claim of property belonging to the Constantinovichi would go to the descendants of Queen Olga's brothers, particularly Constantine Constantinovich, who had contracted an equal marriage. In any event, there isn't any any claim for compensation (and I doubt there ever will be), and the Russians aren't about to pay anything so it is a moot topic.

Regards,

S.

George aka Georgios aka William never converted to Orthodoxy. Rather, he remained a lifelong member of the Lutheran Church. One can respect the traditions of another fath/denomination, attend services, etc. without converting. He did this because he did not want to offend his new subjects. Obviously he could not convert for personal reasons and refused to just go through the motions of conversion. I think this was very big of him.

As far as meeting the metropolitan is concerned, Greece was/is a religious country and the metropolitan was an important figure in society. Thus it was a part of George I's kingly duties to meet with him. The rest of the family was Orthodox.

Anyway, all of this is well documented in various royal and historical works. If you still maintain that he did convert, why not provide us with the documentated date and details of conversion and other details such as baptismal certificate?

Back
Top Bottom