King Constantine has passed away - January 10, 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marika86

Heir Apparant, Royal Blogger
City
Villa San Giovanni
Country
Italy
Also billedbladet.dk confirmed the sad news.

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/graekenland/soergelig-nyhed-kong-konstantin-er-doed

Queen Anne-Marie's husband, King Constantine, has died. He lived to be 82 years old.
Greece's former king, King Constantine, has died aged 82.

This is reported by CNN .

Until his death, King Konstantin was married to Queen Anne-Marie, who is the daughter of King Frederik and Queen Ingrid.

On Friday January 6, CNN Greece wrote that the king had been hospitalized and that his condition was "critical but stable".

Last edited by a moderator:
A good man that would have been a good king under different circumstances.
Rest in peace

He gets to go home to Tatoi now.

May his memory be a blessing to his family and the people he worked for.

May He Rest in Piece ! He passes away in the Country where he was King. Queen Anne Marie was a devoted wife since years.
Pavlos and Marie Chantal left Greece for New York , wil they come back to Greece as King and Queen ?

F ;-; ;(

Rest in Peace

I'm glad his suffering is over. May he rest in peace and may his family take comfort in the huge and loving family he helped create. I hope the Hellenic Republic show's him due honour as former head of state.

Such sad news and somewhat unexpected it seems given that some of his children had left the country after visiting him. However, at least they got to see him over the last week. My heartfelt condolences to the family but especially his widow, queen Anne Marie.

Ach, such sad news.

May the king rest in peace.
My condolences to the entire family.

This Wednesday morning, an inter-ministerial meeting will be held, to take decisions on King Constantine's funeral rites.

A statement on the former king's death will be issued tomorrow, Wednesday, by his family, but also by the Hygeia hospital, where he was hospitalized and ended after serious health problems.

https://www.cnn.gr/politiki/story/3...u-diypourgiki-gia-to-teletourgiko-tis-kideias

ERT tribute to King Constantine

https://www.ertnews.gr/eidiseis/mon...onia-itan-o-teleytaios-monarchis-tis-elladas/

Last edited by a moderator:
That is very sad. What a grand man, Constantine was. His eyes always exuded warmth. The story of how Frederik IX locked him in the toilet after he'd asked for permission to marry Anne-Marie is one of the all-time greats. May he rest in peace.

Very sad news but of course not unexpected after all his recent health Issues.

That is very sad. What a grand man, Constantine was. His eyes always exuded warmth. The story of how Frederik IX locked him in the toilet after he'd asked for permission to marry Anne-Marie is one of the all-time greats. May he rest in peace.

I'm unfamiliar with that story. Would you mind sharing it?

Not unexpected but very sad indeed. May his soul RIP.
I’m glad he passed away at ‘home’ in Greece

He died in Greece, at home. That's good.

With his family having had time to say their goodbyes, or at least be there for him. That's not a bad way to go.

May he rest in peace. Condolences to his wife and family. I am glad for him that he passed in his beloved Greece.

Nooooooo i'm in shock.

The last King of the Hellenes ... Oh My !

Sad news. I wonder if he'll be buried at Tatoi with his parents. Will the Greek government allow that?

He passed away in Greece where he was King.
Queen Anne Marie was since years a devoted wife.
May He rest in Piece.

Sad news. I wonder if he'll be buried at Tatoi with his parents. Will the Greek government allow that?
To my knowledge the burial site still belongs to the royal family.

Αιώνια η μνήμη!
Losing a parent after a long illness brings a plethora of contradictory feelings. Fortunately, all of his children have great partners to lean on, so my heart goes out especially to Queen Anne-Marie (because her love story with "Tino" remains awe-inspiring) and Doña Sofía and Princess Irene, his darling sisters with whom he remained close his entire life.

Thank goodness he was able to fall asleep in his beloved country.

Last edited:

There's not much more to it. In January (I think) 1963, Constantine asked Frederik IX for permission to marry Anne-Marie who was just 16 at the time. Flustered, Frederik told Constantine that he needed to "go talk to Ingrid", guided him into a dark room and locked the door. The Greek then-Crown Prince soon realised the Danish King had locked him in his private toilet :D But he and Ingrid soon returned, and were both very delighted to welcome him into their familt (although Constantine and Anne-Marie were told to wait to marry till she turned 18).

I think Constantine told the story in the documentary series A Royal Family.

Last edited:
Condolences to his family and friends.

After asking King Frederik for Anne-Marie's hand (when he'd originally asked Anne-Marie, she presciently said "do not tell my parents!"), he found himself shoved and locked in a dark room he eventually realized was the bathroom. Meanwhile Fred went to find Ingrid, said "this guy's here, he wants to marry our daughter, what do I do???" :eek:

Ingrid said "Let him out and open a bottle of champagne!!" :lol:

After asking King Frederik for Anne-Marie's hand (when he'd originally asked Anne-Marie, she presciently said "do not tell my parents!"), he found himself shoved and locked in a dark room he eventually realized was the bathroom. Meanwhile Fred went to find Ingrid, said "this guy's here, he wants to marry our daughter, what do I do???" :eek:

Ingrid said "Let him out and open a bottle of champagne!!" :lol:

???

Back
Top Bottom