King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie current events 2: Dec 2005 - Nov 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless he abdicates, he is entitled to be addressed as HM King Constantine of the Hellenes of HM The King of the Hellenes. Abdicated monarchs, like Michael of Romania, are HM The Former King of Romania. That's the only real difference, in the title. Neither of them have any political power, and neither have any chance of regaining their thrones.

Theoretically, you can't abdicate a throne that no longer exists. See in Michael's case, he abdicated the throne, and the monarchy was then abolished. With Constantine, the monarchy was abolished, so he theoretically can't abdicate a non-existent throne.

He is respecting the republic, he's just not catering to its whims.

Constantine has ofcourse lost his title after the referendum.Today the Greek goverment requested to choose a last name like all greek citizens have in order to give him a renewed passport and he didnt,the danish goverment gave him a passport because his wife is a danish citizen.Then he chose as last name the name Constantine Hellin which directly links his name "Constantine of the hellines".Also he has not accepted the result of the referendum and for him is not valid.The greek constitutional does not recognise any kind of titles,all greeks are equal.He might be able to use the title former king as an indication and of respect for his former position.I believe during the referendum he was abroad.The majority of greeks are opposed to his come back and we cant forget the political chaos he or his advisors brought to Greece,not to mention the invasion and occupation of the north part of Cyprus, a soveiregn state.During all this time of his exile he was very moderate and mostly he didi not provoque the puplic with statements.He has not accepted the wishes of his people because he lost the power and all the priviliges that came along.He has stated that he respects the opinion of the public expressed via the referendum but he has not accepted the referendum itself as valid.

Last edited:
Well, considering how many accusations of corruption surrounded the referendum, it's not out of the realm of possibility that he wouldn't accept the referendum as valid.

You contradict yourself when you state he hasn't accepted the result of the referendum and later say he respects the public's opinion as expressed in the referendum. He does accept the results of the referendum. He accepts that he is no longer monarch. That's accepting the results. Even if he thinks the referendum was flawed and fixed, he accepts the results of it.

What power and privileges that come with the throne do you believe he still holds? He lost his stipend, he lost his palace (and private home), he lost his perks. What he has now, he has as a private citizen who is supported by wealthy friends, he is completely dependent on others to make a living. His power now comes through the HCL and the IOC, but he has no more political or legal power than any other Greek who's not in the government. I would venture to say he has even less, because of the animosity.

According to the Greek constitutional position (the government in 1995), he is HM The Former King of the Hellenes. But according to royal protocol, as long as a once-reigning monarch doesn't abdicate (even if he is deposed and his monarchy abolished), he is entitled to be addressed as though he were still reigning. That's why he's still called HM The King of the Hellenes -- he didn't abdicate.

What he did during his reign, and what was done during the dictatorship that followed his flight into exile, have nothing to do with his acceptance of the referendum, his title, or his legal position (unless he's put on trial for those actions).

Photos of Anne-Marie´s birthday party?

I know I´m quite pampered since they published the Lanzarote and Graasten photos but wonder why they didn´t publish at least one photo yet of Anne-Marie´s birthday celebrations. O.k. with King Constantin becoming 60 six years ago they only had a few photos of the arrival of the guests in some London restaurant (I think one was Claudia Schiffer and Sophie Wessex) but since Constantin is so eager to push his family into public (because he knows Stefanie is waiting:lol: ) it would be very unusual not to publish at least a few photos.

He respects the decision the majority of the people expressed i.e. that he is not wanted as a monarch but he does not accept the referendum as an act done by the goverment.It is completely different.If it had not been for the referendum he would not have lost his throne,no matter what the public opinion thought of him!He has not any privilages,thats what i said. What you are saying about his name is true and i believe was mentioned at the decision of the european court of human rights but i am not sure about the H.M.I know for sure that the greek goverment asked from him to choose a last name and eventually he chose the one i wrote.

I saw from tv some scenes of the party for Anna Marias birthday.Queen Sofia was there and the Danish Queen with her husband.The gift Konstantinos gave to Anna Maria is a wooden new greek fishing boat,traditional that they used to go to Porto Helli.Also at the party there were many friends of Konstantinos like some former members of the greek parliament and many businessmen.

Last edited:
finally found some pics!:w00t2:
Carlos, Constantine,and the boat:lol:

source: rex features via isifa

Last edited:
I LOVE the tidbit about Constantine referring to Anne-Marie as a "butterfly." She's still beautiful after all the years and troubles have passed.

Thanksss, the infants very beautiful and are bronzed
I hope that they leave more photos to see as it takes to the hair gathered or loose Elena.
to where she was princess Alexia?

Last edited:
I hope there'll be more pics..some of Alexia, Palvos and MC...

WOW to HM Anna Marie - she really looks stunning!

On a side note - ammm, what is Queen M wearing???

Looks like it was windy in Greece! Thanks for the pictures. Didn't the King giver Q. Anne Marie a boat for her birthday?

Kelly said:
Looks like it was windy in Greece! Thanks for the pictures. Didn't the King giver Q. Anne Marie a boat for her birthday?
yes, he did. It is the third pic I posted;)

I gotta say that this Danish/Greek/Spanish clan is pretty close, isn't it? you see a lot of members of each family in the celebrations of the other "branch"
Infanta Elena and Infanta Cristina look wow as well as Queen Anne Marie (I wish to look like that at 60!):lol:

Last edited:
:clap: finally some pictures!! Thanks alot guys.
I think Queen Anne-Marie looks really nice, as do most of the other ladies.:flowers: Queen Sofia is wearing one of my least favourite dresses that she owns!

Happy Birthday to HM Queen Anne Marie.

She looks great!

Larzen, would it be possible to post one of the families sitting on the boat together? :flowers: I love the one of Anne-Marie with her grandchildren!

Beautiful pictures! Where are the Infantas though?

What a great picture of the family! So everyone is there except Fred, Mary, Theodora, and Joachim? Alexia's daughters are going to be heartbreakers when they get older!

Thanks for all those pics
I say it again: that danish/greek/spanish clan is pretty close, they are all always together everywhere:flowers:
I missed Theodora, anyone knows where is she?:ermm:

How about Princess Irene? Did I just miss her from the pix?

Theodora was there. See the foto that princess Marie Chantal kiss Queen of denmark. I think that behind is Theodora.

Thank You!

...For posting the pics. I´m always so happy whenever they publish new ones of my favourite royal family. My God, Anna-Maria and Arrietta are sooooo pretty!

Zonk1189 said:
What a great picture of the family! So everyone is there except Fred, Mary, Theodora, and Joachim? Alexia's daughters are going to be heartbreakers when they get older!

Felipe and Letizia, Prince Richard and King Juan Carlos are also not there.
Did any of Benediktes children attend ??

I really love to see pictures like this of all the related royal families together! It reminds me of old b&w photographs of the descendants of Queen Victoria or the six children of King Christian of Denmark having reunions with their families in Denmark. It's nice to see the interrelations between Danish, Greek and Spanish families! I hope someday they do a HUGE photoshoot with Queen Margarethe and Prince Henrik, Princess Benedikte and Prince Richard, Queen Anne-Marie and King Konstantine, Queen Sofia and King Juan Carlos (and also Princess Irene) with all of their children and little grandchildren. It would be really stunning to see all the generations of royals!

They all look so casual and happy, no pretense at all. I hope they weren't swamped with photographers. . .I guess that's why they planned to sail away. ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom