The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Old 01-11-2023, 05:18 AM
Administrator

King Constantine (1940 - 2023)

Welcome to the thread for late King Constantine.

* Psychiko, Athens, Greece, June 2, 1940 - Athens, Greece, January 10, 2023 *

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs
· Only pictures you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· No more than 20% of the text of an article can be posted, along with a link to the original article.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles.
· We expect our members to treat each other and the royals and persons in these threads with respect.
· Opinions should be backed up by reference to published reports.
· Off topic and empty posts will be deleted without notice.
· Please be careful not to write in capital letters.

Happy posting!
Old 01-18-2023, 11:12 PM
Aristocracy

Today, at noon, the family will hold a memorial service in King Konstantinos' memory on the occasion of the nine-day anniversary of his death.
Old 01-18-2023, 11:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

They had the Trisagion at the 3 day mark, and traditionally there is another ceremony marking 40 days.

But 9 days? I had no idea. I am curious to know how many post death funeral rites the Orthodox observe....

"If your dreams don't scare you, they are not big enough" Sir Sidney Poitier
1927-2022
Old 01-18-2023, 11:50 PM
Aristocracy

In Orthodoxy, the numbers 3, 9, 40 have a sacred meaning, the commemoration of the deceased is arranged for 9 days after the moment of the departure in honor of nine angels who protect the soul of the deceased and ask the Almighty for its salvation.
Sorry for the oversimplification, but long story short: If a person was righteous, led a pious life, then it is believed that after 9 days the soul can be transferred to the Holy Place.
Old 01-19-2023, 12:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adda View Post
In Orthodoxy, the numbers 3, 9, 40 have a sacred meaning, the commemoration of the deceased is arranged for 9 days after the moment of the departure in honor of nine angels who protect the soul of the deceased and ask the Almighty for its salvation.
Sorry for the oversimplification, but long story short: If a person was righteous, led a pious life, then it is believed that after 9 days the soul can be transferred to the Holy Place.
Thank you for explaining the rite.
Old 01-19-2023, 12:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adda View Post
Clear and wonderful explanation. I am Roman Catholic but have always been attracted to Orthodoxy. I find the symbolism and sense of mystery fascinating.

Thanks for the explanation.

1927-2022
Old 01-19-2023, 12:46 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Clear and wonderful explanation. I am Roman Catholic but have always been attracted to Orthodoxy. I find the symbolism and sense of mystery fascinating.

Thanks for the explanation.
I am Roman Catholic as well and in some countries (specially the Spanish speaking ones), you do something called a "novena", nine days of prayer after the person is buried, then a mass.
Then you go with the mass every month for the first year and from then on, a mass yearly on the anniversary of death.
The 40 days thing is probably related to the years Moses and his people spent in the desert and the days Jesus spent being tempted by the devil, that's why both Lent and Advent are 40 days long as well, it's a very symbolic number for Christianity in general.
Old 01-19-2023, 05:45 AM
Heir Apparent

And coming back to the coverage, in 15 minutes is the 9 days mass in Tatoi. Despite CP Pavlos asked to be private.... press is there

Sent from my SM-A426B using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 01-19-2023, 06:00 AM
Imperial Majesty

Pictures and Videos from the arrivals today

https://www.protothema.gr/greece/art...a-konstadinou/
https://www.tlife.gr/eidhseis-nea/te...TLIFE/1371939/

Old 01-19-2023, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by leidi View Post
I am Roman Catholic as well and in some countries (specially the Spanish speaking ones), you do something called a "novena", nine days of prayer after the person is buried, then a mass.
Then you go with the mass every month for the first year and from then on, a mass yearly on the anniversary of death.
The 40 days thing is probably related to the years Moses and his people spent in the desert and the days Jesus spent being tempted by the devil, that's why both Lent and Advent are 40 days long as well, it's a very symbolic number for Christianity in general.
In Ireland we have a Months Mind Mass which normally takes place 30 days after the death and then is marked each year as an Anniversary Mass.

I've never actually heard of the Nine Days of Prayer which is new to me.
Old 01-19-2023, 12:47 PM
Royal Highness

All eastern faiths -- Orthodox and Catholic -- have the 9 and 40 day masses. I'm from one of the eastern Catholic rites and we have both.
Old 01-19-2023, 01:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

https://pappaspost.com/wp-content/up...=ng:webp/ngcb1

Funny photo of young CP Constantine in the summer of 1961, taking First Lady Jackie Kennedy to see his speedboat in Piraeus.

He looks like a character in a movie film.

1927-2022
Old 01-19-2023, 01:25 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by leidi View Post
I was raised Roman Catholic and accompanied my Mormor (grandma) to many novenas. It's a beautiful tradition and a huge source of consolation.

__
Back on topic, the press is turning the whole affair into a circus, they've found something to be entertained about. It's absolutely disrespectful to show up at Tatoi when the service held today was a PRIVATE family event. If Pavlos ever really considered moving to Athens, then he must have ditched that idea altogether.
Old 01-19-2023, 03:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Sorry, I didn't understand...who is showing up at what private family events?

1927-2022
Old 01-19-2023, 03:21 PM
Aristocracy

The press.
Old 01-20-2023, 12:21 PM
Aristocracy

Photos from yesterday's Trisagio, all of K&AM's children were present, as were Pavlos' kids. Princess Irene did not attend.

https://i1.prth.gr/images/640x360/_w...risagio_xr.jpg

https://i1.prth.gr/images/w640/_webp...gio_in__1_.jpg

https://www.protothema.gr/greece/art...e-fotografies/
Old 01-26-2023, 12:54 AM
Courtier

From Hello!

Prince Pavlos to leave Greece - details of royal's future plans revealed

Their report is based on Andreas Megos' Instagram post.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cn1eYLlIdDZ/?hl=en

Quote:
Tomorrow Prince Pavlos departs from Greece for New York. In a brief conversation, he said that he will not give any interviews or make statements until the 40-day memorial service for King Constantine's death as it is his family's mourning period.

The memorial service for the late King will be held on Sunday 19 February after the Divine Liturgy at the Metropolitan Cathedral of Athens in the presence of the Synodal hierarchs, followed by a trisagion at the late King's tomb in Tatoi.

A second memorial service will follow in London, for all those who wished to attend but were unable to be in our country for the funeral service and burial of the King.
Both Memorial Services will be attended by all members of the Greek Royal Family.

Until the 40-day memorial service, Prince Pavlos will divide his time between New York, London and Greece, being close to his mother Queen Anne-Marie.