Funeral of King Constantine - January 16, 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tatiana is so wonderful. Nikolaos chose his princess well.

These are NOT Anunciata and Emanuele!

Because it was announced as such!

Announced by the Luxembourg court or the Liechtenstein?

:kingdomofgreece:
A disgrace,ignoring a significant part of the Greek history,and opening up to hysteria as they are afraid to annoy Syriza,what heroes....Not!

Send their minister of culture??Instead of what,a clerk...Good,let her take a bucket and some brushes and clean up the Tatoi cemetery first!!

Proud of their history...my foot...Ignoring it!

My thoughts too…. This sounds more like it will be a last act of humiliation for a man the greek state have never missed a chance to ridicule….

A pity when it could have been a respectful demonstration of a not so small part of the greek history. Like it was done in Romania when King Michael died and in Austria when Crown Prince Otto died…… What are the greek government so afraid of after all these years ? ?

Whether or not the onetime king should have been accorded a state funeral as a former head of state, ignoring history and being afraid are not the only possible motives for not having one. Aside from different countries perhaps having different protocols, there have already been countless other incidents in recent years, some of which have involved royalty, where it has been claimed that certain people, artifacts, historical events, etc. do not deserve to be commemorated.

Even here, the people who removed the Dutch golden carriage from use, or people who protested statues of King Leopold II of Belgium, or people who labeled the Cambridges' Caribbean tour as colonialist, were not alleged to be ignoring history or being afraid of a monarchist coup, so it is puzzling why it is only the Greek politicians who are assumed to have those motives.

Half-hearted or Whole-hearted, he was not a dictator, did never oppress his people, and never killed anyone…. His only crime (if it even can be called as such) was to leave his country together with his family, when their security could no longer be guaranteed… Not even by their own security guards…

If it’s not time to let go of the bitterness of the past when someone dies and can no longer speak for himself - when will it ever be ?
He was still a former head of state, all the way until he took his last breath, and should be honoured as such.

The Romanians and and the Austrians could despite having been republics for much longer than Greece so….

But time has teached me that i should never expect anything from the Greek Government when it comes to Constantine �� Poor man….. At least noone can insult him anymore now… He is freed from humans earthly behaviour

The last Austrian emperor died in exile only a few years after his overthrow, and I don't believe he received a state or official funeral. The last Austrian crown prince never reigned and was a small child when the Austrian imperial family was exiled, so he naturally was not blamed for any actions of the monarchy. (I also doubt there will be a state-funded funeral when the current head of the Habsburg family passes away.)

The last Romanian king had been restored to a semi-official position by the time he died, and correct me if I am mistaken, but it seems he wasn't viewed by the general public as sharing responsibility for the takeover of the communist dictatorship that replaced him.

Last edited:
Announced by the Luxembourg court or the Liechtenstein?

Whether or not the onetime king should have been accorded a state funeral as a former head of state, ignoring history and being afraid are not the only possible motives for not having one. Aside from different countries perhaps having different protocols, there have already been countless other incidents in recent years, some of which have involved royalty, where it has been claimed that certain people, artifacts, historical events, etc. do not deserve to be commemorated.

Even here, the people who removed the Dutch golden carriage from use, or people who protested statues of King Leopold II of Belgium, or people who labeled the Cambridges' Caribbean tour as colonialist, were not alleged to be ignoring history or being afraid of a monarchist coup, so it is puzzling why it is only the Greek politicians who are assumed to have those motives.

The last Austrian emperor died in exile only a few years after his overthrow, and I don't believe he received a state or official funeral. The last Austrian crown prince never reigned and was a small child when the Austrian imperial family was exiled, so he naturally was not blamed for any actions of the monarchy. (I also doubt there will be a state-funded funeral when the current head of the Habsburg family passes away.)

The last Romanian king had been restored to a semi-official position by the time he died, and correct me if I am mistaken, but it seems he wasn't viewed by the general public as sharing responsibility for the takeover of the communist dictatorship that replaced him.
If I'm not wrong the late Empress Zita received a high level funeral with the full ceremonial and the Capucines krypt traditionnal entrance.
I couldn't say if it was a State funeral because it implies the financial coverage from the State or not, but it was a high ceremony.
Archiduc Otto had an very extended funeral, I couldn't Imagine how it could de more.

If I'm not wrong the late Empress Zita received a high level funeral with the full ceremonial and the Capucines krypt traditionnal entrance.
I couldn't say if it was a State funeral because it implies the financial coverage from the State or not, but it was a high ceremony.
Archiduc Otto had an very extended funeral, I couldn't Imagine how it could de more.
Empress Zita’s funeral was not paid for by the Austrian state, the family had to pay for it themselves. The state would only allow the funeral to take place in Austria if the family paid for it themselves which they (Habsburgs) did.

Empress Zita’s funeral was not paid for by the Austrian state, the family had to pay for it themselves. The state would only allow the funeral to take place in Austria if the family paid for it themselves which they (Habsburgs) did.
Thank you so much. And what about Archiduc Otto ? Was is paid by the State? I remember it was very solemn

Exactly one year ago, we all gathered here to comment the funeral of Vasiliás Konstantínos.

Back
Top Bottom