The House of Nassau-Weilburg

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: That must the article which I was remembering when I said that she had been incorrectly called Nassau in articles. (In the interview, she was more correctly called Countess of Merenberg.)

Interestingly, there are extramarital (male-line, as far as I know) descendants who do bear the name, unlike the former von Merenbergs who never did. But as Duc hinted earlier, those Nassaus probably are not legally recognized descendants.

Last edited:
On the YouTube film clip it said in Dutch "De afstammelingen van Willem van Oranje" in English translated is "The descendants of William of Orange"

I doubt Clotilde von Rintelen, Gräfin von Merenberg is a male-line descendant from Willem I von Nassau, Prince d'Orange. His legal male descandance ended in 1702 with the death of Willem III of Nassau, Prince of Orange (King of England, Scotland and Ireland and Stadtholder of the United Provinces).

The paternal Nassau line of Willem I von Nassau, Prince d'Orange, continued via his eldest brother Johann VI von Nassau, with Queen Wilhelmina as the last agnate in direct patrilineal descendance from this eldest brother of Prince Willem I.

Last edited:
In 1907, during the so-called Merenberg Affair, Georg Nikolaus Graf von Merenberg (1871 - 1948) laid down a claim on the succession to the throne of the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg, the Duchy of Nassau as well a material claim to the domains, estates and fortune of the House of Nassau.

In view of the impending extinction of the princely Nassau line, he felt encouraged by a stipulation in the Nassauischer Erbverein of 1783, which stated that in the event of the princely agnates of the House of Nassau becoming extinct, the non-princely agnates were called to the throne before the princely daughters.

The Government of the Grand-Duchy solved the problem by including princely daughters into the succession to the throne in State legislation. All other, especially financial claims against the House of Nassau were settled in a quite lavish settlement with an annual pension of 40.000 Golden Marks against waiver of claims.

The Government of the Grand-Duchy solved the problem by including princely daughters into the succession to the throne in State legislation.

In a sense, their succession rights already were included in State legislation since the grand duchy's constitution stated (and continues to state) that the Crown of the Grand Duchy is hereditary in conformity with the 1783 pact (Erbverein). Of course, the 1907 bylaw gave more clarity regarding the legal provision.

As a clarification for readers who are unfamiliar with the 1783 Erbverein: Under the pact, the princesses of the house of Nassau were in the line of succession to the family's domains (from 1815 including the grand duchy of Luxembourg), estates and fortune, but only after all male lines had come to an end.

Article 42 stipulated that upon the extinction of the male heirs in the house of Nassau, the oldest daughter of the last male, assuming he had daughters (otherwise, the closest female in the Nassau family) would succeed him.

https://www.heraldica.org/topics/royalty/nassau.htm#42

Article 42 also stated that new succession laws should then be created to decide who should succeed the female heir, as the Nassau family pact did not address this. Under the original laws of the family pact, female-line descendants could not be heirs; if the last male's oldest daughter predeceased him, his next oldest daughter (rather than his oldest daughter's children) would inherit. This was dealt with by the 1907 law.

https://legilux.public.lu/eli/etat/leg/loi/1907/07/10/n1/jo

The 1907 law allowed all of Grand Duke Guillaume IV's legitimate descendants (excluding those descended from marriages unrecognized under the house rules) to be in the line of succession. It also changed the order of succession by stating that if any of his daughters predeceased her father, her descendants took precedence over her sisters and their descendants.

In 1907, during the so-called Merenberg Affair, Georg Nikolaus Graf von Merenberg (1871 - 1948) laid down a claim on the succession to the throne of the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg, the Duchy of Nassau as well a material claim to the domains, estates and fortune of the House of Nassau.

In view of the impending extinction of the princely Nassau line, he felt encouraged by a stipulation in the Nassauischer Erbverein of 1783, which stated that in the event of the princely agnates of the House of Nassau becoming extinct, the non-princely agnates were called to the throne before the princely daughters.

Interesting! Could you please quote the stipulation and post it to https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f69/luxembourg-succession-and-titles-33317-8.html? (I think the Succession thread would be a more suitable place to continue.) I don't remember it from reading the Erbverein, but it is a complex and confusing document.

Last edited:
I doubt Clotilde von Rintelen, Gräfin von Merenberg is a male-line descendant from Willem I von Nassau, Prince d'Orange. His legal male descandance ended in 1702 with the death of Willem III of Nassau, Prince of Orange (King of England, Scotland and Ireland and Stadtholder of the United Provinces).

The paternal Nassau line of Willem I von Nassau, Prince d'Orange, continued via his eldest brother Johann VI von Nassau, with Queen Wilhelmina as the last agnate in direct patrilineal descendance from this eldest brother of Prince Willem I.

Nikolaus of Nassau (1832-1905) married Natalia Pushkin (1836-1913) Natalia
Pushkin was the daughter of (poet) Alexander Pushkin And she became countess von Merenberg

Nikolaus of Nassau (1832-1905) married Natalia Pushkin (1836-1913) Natalia
Pushkin was the daughter of (poet) Alexander Pushkin And she became countess von Merenberg

Yes, that is correct, but Clotilde's great-grandfather Nikolaus was no descendant of Willem I of Nassau, Prince of Orange.

Clotilde is a straight descendant of Walram II of Nassau, the "founder" of the "Luxembourgian Nassau line".
(Walram's brother Otto was the "founder" of the "Dutch Nassau line").

Elizabeth Clotilde Gräfin von Merenberg (1941)
|
Georg Graf von Merenberg (1897-1965)
|
Georg Nikolaus Graf von Merenberg (1871-1948)
|
Nikolaus Wilhelm Prinz von Nassau (1832-1905)
|
Wilhelm Herzog von Nassau (1792-1839)
|
Friedrich Wilhelm Herzog von Nassau (1768-1816)
|
Karl Christian Fürst von Nassau-Weilburg (1735-1788)
|
Karl August Fürst von Nassau-Weilburg (1685-1753)
|
Johann Ernst Fürst von Nassau-Weilburg (1664-1719)
|
Friedrich Graf von Nassau-Weilburg (1640-1675)
|
Ernst-Casimir Graf von Nassau-Weilburg (1607-1655)
|
Ludwig II Graf von Nassau-Weilburg (1565-1627)
|
Albrecht Graf von Nassau-Weilburg (1537-1593)
|
Philipp III Graf von Nassau-Weilburg (1504-1559)
|
Ludwig I Graf von Nassau-Weilburg (1473-1533)
|
Philipp II Graf von Nassau-Weilburg (1418-1492)
|
Philipp I Graf von Nassau-Weilburg (1368-1429)
|
Johann I Graf von Nassau-Weilburg (1309-1471)
|
Gerlach Graf von Nassau (Walram line) (1288-1361)
|
Adolf Graf von Nassau (Walram line) (1255-1298)
|
Walram II Graf von Nassau (founder of the Walram line) (1220-1276)
|
Heinrich II Graf von Nassau (1180-1247)
He is the shared direct strictly patrilineal ancestor of Wilhelmina of Orange-Nassau (Queen of the Netherlands), as well Charlotte of Nassau (Grand-Duchess of Luxembourg), as well Elizabeth Clotilde Gräfin von Merenberg.

In 1935 Charlotte of Nassau, Grand-Duchess of Luxembourg (grandmother of the current Grand-Duke) sold the lavish Schloss Weilburg to the State of Prussia. It is still German state-owned.

Picture

This picture as an example of how much was to gain by the Von Merenbergs and why no less than an annual rent of 40.000 Golden Marks was offered to waiver their claims.

Last edited:
Yes, that is correct, but Clotilde's great-grandfather Nikolaus was no descendant of Willem I of Nassau, Prince of Orange.

Clotilde is a straight descendant of Walram II of Nassau, the "founder" of the "Luxembourgian Nassau line".
(Walram's brother Otto was the "founder" of the "Dutch Nassau line").

|
|
|
|
|
Friedrich Wilhelm Herzog von Nassau (1768-1816)
|
Karl Christian Fürst von Nassau-Weilburg (1735-1788)
|
Karl August Fürst von Nassau-Weilburg (1685-1753)
|
Johann Ernst Fürst von Nassau-Weilburg (1664-1719)
|
Friedrich Graf von Nassau-Weilburg (1640-1675)
|
Ernst-Casimir Graf von Nassau-Weilburg (1607-1655)
|
Ludwig II Graf von Nassau-Weilburg (1565-1627)
|
Albrecht Graf von Nassau-Weilburg (1537-1593)
|
Philipp III Graf von Nassau-Weilburg (1504-1559)
|
Ludwig I Graf von Nassau-Weilburg (1473-1533)
|
Philipp II Graf von Nassau-Weilburg (1418-1492)
|
Philipp I Graf von Nassau-Weilburg (1368-1429)
|
Johann I Graf von Nassau-Weilburg (1309-1471)
|
Gerlach Graf von Nassau (Walram line) (1288-1361)
|
Adolf Graf von Nassau (Walram line) (1255-1298)
|
Walram II Graf von Nassau (founder of the Walram line) (1220-1276)
|
Heinrich II Graf von Nassau (1180-1247)
He is the shared direct strictly patrilineal ancestor of Wilhelmina of Orange-Nassau (Queen of the Netherlands), as well Charlotte of Nassau (Grand-Duchess of Luxembourg), as well Elizabeth Clotilde Gräfin von Merenberg.

In 1935 Charlotte of Nassau, Grand-Duchess of Luxembourg (grandmother of the current Grand-Duke) sold the lavish Schloss Weilburg to the State of Prussia. It is still German state-owned.

Picture

This picture as an example of how much was to gain by the Von Merenbergs and why no less than an annual rent of 40.000 Golden Marks was offered to waiver their claims.
The closest Clotilde is related to Willem I is, I believe, through her descent from one of his sisters.

The closest Clotilde is related to Willem I is, I believe, through her descent from one of his sisters.

In any way it is very distant. The closest Orange-Nassau relationship of Clotilde Gräfin von Merenberg -not patrilineal- will be via Queen Emma of the Netherlands I guess:

|
||
|||
||||
||||
Helena Fürstin zu Waldeck und Pyrmont born Prinzessin von Nassau (1831-1888)
|||
Queen Emma of the Netherlands, Grand-Duchess of Luxembourg born Prinzessin zu Waldeck und Pyrmont (1858-1934)
||
Queen Juliana of the Netherlands (1909-2004)
|
Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands (1938)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom