Resemblance Between Charlotte and Joséphine-Charlotte

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bct88

Aristocracy
Country
United States
I have noticed a strong resemblance between the late Grand Duchess Charlotte and her daughter-in-law, the former Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte. Has anyone else noticed this? Every time I look at a formal portrait of Charlotte, I have to look twice to see if it is her or Josephine-Charlotte! :)

bct88 said:
I have noticed a strong resemblance between the late Grand Duchess Charlotte and her daughter-in-law, the former Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte. Has anyone else noticed this? Every time I look at a formal portrait of Charlotte, I have to look twice to see if it is her or Josephine-Charlotte! :)
Yes, yes, and yes! I have definitely seen a quite strong resmeblance between the two, particularly when you put their younger photos side by side. I thought I was seeing things, or just losing my already faint grip on sanity.
Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one! ;)

omg how wrong.... bad bad bad bad bad bad hehehehe i guess everyone on earth is inbred anyway

bad_barbarella said:
omg how wrong.... bad bad bad bad bad bad hehehehe i guess everyone on earth is inbred anyway
We all crawled out of the same swamp, so to speak.

I know that royals interbreed, but as far as I know and can see, they are the only two that really look alike. ;)

Last edited:
Josefine said:
are there any photos that we can see of the two of them?
There's this postcard of the two... :)

I read somewhere that , on average, people marry their 15th cousin. :eek:

Attachments

• Charlotte.jpg
    Charlotte.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 836
Last edited by a moderator:
wow...that is interesting...hey at least that is better than marry your 1st, 2nd, 3rd cousins...don't some of the royals still do that? well in the past they did...all the royals are related one way or another hehehe

The fact that JC and Charlotte look similar is very likely just a coincidence... It's funny, I was distantly related to a lot of people at my high school. :eek: Heheheh! But I'm a countrified rube...

intermarriage is not necessarily incestuous as long as it's not between very close relatives. take my family for instance. i'm several times related to myself on both sides. this is b/c of the fact that b/c my family controlled and still controls vast tracts of land and they married each other to keep it and the money that was generated from it in the family. i turned out fine and so did my parents, etc. the cloest marriage that took place in my family was between my great-grandmother and my great-grandfather- they were 3rd cousins. and all their childeren, my grandmother and her siblings, turned out just fine. i'm not too sure that this still goes on in my family b/c most of the younger generations have left this area and only the older ones have stayed behind. but there are some instances of this having occured within my mom's generation of the family, namely due to accident- i come from a REALLY large extended family- b/c some of the ppl didn't know they were related until it was too late. but fortunately, all is well with everyone.:)

I thought this might interest some of you! I was rifling through some royal genealogies and found that Charlotte and Joséphine-Charlotte do indeed share at least one common ancestor: HDSH Wilhelm Duke of Nassau, Count Palatine of the Rhine, etc, etc.
Wilhelm's son Adolphe (who later became Grand Duke of Luxembourg) is the older half-brother of Princess Sophie of Nassau. Charlotte is descended from Adolphe and Joséphine-Charlotte is descended from Sophie (who married King Oscar II of Sweden and Norway). Therefore, Charlotte is the great-granddaughter and JC is the great-great granddaughter of Duke Wilhelm of Nassau.

Charlotte
Wilhelm Duke of Nassau (1792-1839)
Adolphe Grand Duke of Luxembourg (1817-1905)
Guillaume IV Grand Duke of Luxembourg (1852-1912)
Charlotte Grand Duchess of Luxembourg (1896-1985)

Joséphine-Charlotte
Wilhelm Duke of Nassau (1792-1839)
Queen Sofia (Sophie) of Sweden (1836-1913)
Prince Carl of Sweden (1861-1951)
Queen Astrid of the Belgians (1905-1935)
Grand Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte of Luxembourg (1927)

So this makes them some form of cousin - I don't really know the proper term, and I'm not sure whether or not the whole thing is affected by Adophe and Sophie's relationship as half-brother/sister, but I will hazard the guess that Charlotte and JC are second cousins once-removed!?
Anyway these pics are of Adolphe and Sophie:

Attachments

• Adolphe von Nassau.jpg
    Adolphe von Nassau.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 329
  • Sophie von Nassau.jpg
    Sophie von Nassau.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 771
Wait...Adolphe and Sophie married each other?

hehehehe...hey girls do you have a suspision who the princes may have inherited the bad facial hairs from? just look at Adolphe hehehehe

hillary_nugent said:
Wait...Adolphe and Sophie married each other?
NoNoNoNo! Ewww! Gross :p Adolphe and Sophie are half-brother and sister - they share the same father! Charlotte and Joséphine-Charlotte are both therefore descended from Adolphe and Sophie's father Wilhelm. Rest assured that Adolphe married Princess Adelaide of Anhalt-Dessau, and Sophie married King Oscar II of Sweden and Norway - they DID NOT marry each other! Hehehehe! That's yuck... :p :)
As for Adolphe's bad facial hair - yes, I think we have found our source for Felix and Guillaume - it's genetics!

KatieLouise said:
NoNoNoNo! Ewww! Gross :p Adolphe and Sophie are half-brother and sister - they share the same father! Charlotte and Joséphine-Charlotte are both therefore descended from Adolphe and Sophie's father Wilhelm. Rest assured that Adolphe married Princess Adelaide of Anhalt-Dessau, and Sophie married King Oscar II of Sweden and Norway - they DID NOT marry each other! Hehehehe! That's yuck... :p :)
As for Adolphe's bad facial hair - yes, I think we have found our source for Felix and Guillaume - it's genetics!
Thank goodness! i didn't read what was posted properly and just read 'adolphe and sophe's relationship' and got totally grossed out hahahahaha...

Hmm... perhaps I should've phrased that differently :D - still I hope the family tree is not impossible to follow. The least you all need to know is that Charlotte and Joséphine-Charlotte are related (but reasonably distantly as far as royals are concerned). The fact that they look similar is merely coincidence!

Hats off to you KatieLousie, that is some fantastic research! Not an impossible tree to follow; after 5 readings I understood the relationship. lol!
icon10.gif

Excellent, ShksprNLov! Thank you... :D Do you like Adolphe's bad facial hair - hmm... he reminds me of someone - I wonder who? :wink:

With the previous inbreeding among the royals I think it's the perfect time for some new people to marry the royals.... Perhaps some fantastic, super witty girls who post on a royals message board???
icon10.gif
I love the facial hair! The man looks so charming and dashing...Haha! He does certainly look like later members of the family unfortunately. Poor Felix. I suppose he can't help it since it's in his genes.
icon9.gif

ShksprNLov said:
With the previous inbreeding among the royals I think it's the perfect time for some new people to marry the royals.... Perhaps some fantastic, super witty girls who post on a royals message board???
icon10.gif
I love the facial hair! The man looks so charming and dashing...Haha! He does certainly look like later members of the family unfortunately. Poor Felix. I suppose he can't help it since it's in his genes.
icon9.gif
Yes, they need something completely different - how about a dash of American or Australian? I know there's plenty of those in these forums. It's such a fantastic moustache -you'd have to be careful not to lose an eye from it! I just don't know how good a look it is in 2005 as opposed to the 19th century...

Back
Top Bottom